bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Calavera: Day of the Dead

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jul 21, 13 12:35 AM
Hi everyone!

What do you think of Calavera: Day of the Dead? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Calavera: Day of the Dead page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Calavera: Day of the Dead

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Interested to read the reviews on the CE version of this game?

Just click here!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 21, 13 1:25 AM
A Different Style In A Different Place

BASED ON COMPLETED CE GAME

Nice to get into a totally DIFFERENT CULTURE with this game. Although I am sure many people in the southern US states are familiar with the Festival of the Dead, there is little the rest of us know about it, so it is unexplored territory for many.

The general TONE of the game is REFRESHING too, it is HUMOROUS throughout, a dry wit not at all cartoonish, as the few funny games I’ve played seem to be.

The STYLE of GAMEPLAY was a little DIFFERENT too. The MINI-GAMES included ARCADE-STYLE games, which were REWORKED to make them easy enough for PLAYERS LIKE ME, who wouldn’t get past the first level of a genuine arcade game.

They took the form of games where you needed to time your response to bring it in within a given range. Some were also timed, but not restrictively so.

The HOS were of the INTERACTIVE LIST type. The ADVENTURE gameplay was not difficult, and you had a INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP & “THE GUIDE to the LAND of the DEAD”. This CHARACTER functions as HINT, COMPANION & JOURNAL – also useful as COMIC RELIEF.

One of the things I really liked about this game is the GRAPHICS. They were not in themselves spectacular, but they were a bit different from the norm, well done, and BRIGHT & CHEERFUL. All objects, in and out of HOS were easily seen and clear.

The various CHARACTERS throughout the game were very well conceived and their ANIMATIONS were EXCELLENT, and so were their VOICEOVERS. I just loved those guys, they really made the game.

The MUSIC was APPROPRIATE to the environment, but I found it annoying from time to time.

The CE game offers many EXTRAS, such as collectibles and achievements, but the BONUS CHAPTER is NOT NECESSARY to a satisfying conclusion to the game.

I must admit I was happy to have the chance to collect all the decorated sugar skulls, which were an eye-opener!

For half the cost, I think this game is easily as good value as the CE.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 21, 13 6:14 AM
This part of my review is after finishing the CE version. I enjoyed the game. You really get your money's worth. With this said...my review is based on CE version only.

The thing I enjoyed most about this game...were the achievements! I had never really been a big fan of achievements until this game. I'm not sure the SE has them...but for me...this game was worth the CE price...just for the achievements.

Although I will say the Bonus chapter didn't add or take away from the main game in anyway. This was one of the longest games I think I've played in awhile.

You can read my full review of this game in the CE version. I wanted to add a review after finishing the game completely. It was a fun game! Be sure to give it a try.

I rated the CE version of this game: “PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 21, 13 2:10 PM
We rate this game 5 out of 5 . it has a good story and plot and is fun to play . if you like HOS games, this one is for you. We really enjoy collecting skulls . You need to play this game!!!!!! ------------doug & lisa......................

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 21, 13 2:59 PM
A nice SE for a change. I did not purchase the CE version, trying not to buy too many these days. Anyway, the graphics and game play were nice. Voice overs very nice, but very few and far between. Not a lot of sound FX, but what you get is appropriate for the setting and scene. I didn't hear a lot of music, but I also turned it down to half..should still have heard something.

The basic story line is nothing new, girlfriend gets kidnapped, but the story is different since it is based in Mexico and during the Day of the Dead...and not a hospital, or mansion, or asylum, or a back road somewhere. A nice change of scenery.

HOGs are a bit cluttered, but items not difficult to find and the colors are farily clear. Games are not difficult, but some take a little thought and/or patience to complete. Nice jump map with a lot of places to visit in this game. Yes, you do visit the same areas multiple times and play the same HOGs more than once, so the map is very helpful.

The book is the "fun guy" in this game...quite humorous. Seems funny to laugh out loud during a game, but I did more than once. Some of the humor is dry, but most people will "get it." All in all, this is a very nice and fun game, so I did us a credit to purchase. I believe this game will appeal to all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care fo this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

123train
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by 123train on Jul 22, 13 1:42 AM
One of the best games Ever !! Do give it a try - It is colorful and will make you smile

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jul 22, 13 1:22 PM
What a pain in the rear end this new BF system is! No longer can I review a game after playing it without going through this hugh hassle of signing in and locating the game to get to the forum. ...good grief!

I loved this game...what fun it was! Humorous with a lot of things to do. HOS could be a bit difficult at times mostly because they were a bit dark. Mini games definately could be a challenge but were different and a mini game lover would enjoy them.

The transporter map is your navigation guide so you do have to do a lot of clicking around. Skip and Hint were really fast, but not really slow either...just loved the hint book...definately give this a 5 out of 5. Nice length and you don't get bored. Loved it!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jul 23, 13 12:03 AM
I think this game is too messy and convoluted. Every single little thing I've tried to do throughout the game has required using a hint.

Why did the guy have a television in his suitcase? And I guess somehow he knew just exactly where to find the electrical tape? Meanwhile his girlfriend has fainted, and he's running around looking for screws. That's exactly the kind of mish-mosh that drives me nuts in some of these games.

This might be a great game, but it's too confusing, I can't figure out what to do or where to look next.

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Jul 25, 13 1:01 PM
Meh. Yes, it has nice graphics and subtle humor but sparkles on Advanced level in this day and age kill the deal for me. I also found the very repetitive music and slow animations boring. I feel games have evolved beyond the offering here but I respect that others enjoy this. As many say in these forums, try before you buy.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 4, 13 7:16 PM
black side bars.........no thank you!

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Oct 9, 13 9:23 PM
I just couldn't get into this one. I didn't find it nearly as humorous as some others did, and there didn't seem to be a logical flow as to where to use inventory items. I ended up having to use the hint far too much and this ruined the game for me, because I like adventuring when the items make sense as to where I'd already been. It didn't do it here and just made the gameplay tedious, not fun. I was glad when the demo was over because I had had enough.

Edited on 10/09/2013 at 9:26:29 PM PST

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Nov 15, 13 9:39 PM
Wow, what an unusual game and I'm saying it in a nice way...The previous reviewers have given very good reviews about this game and it too reminds me of Grim Fandango in many ways

Do want to say that for me there were almost but not quite too many mini games but I still enjoyed the different atmosphere and artwork

The jump-map worked just fine and my Helper Book Friend was very funny

This is for me an unusual game and I liked it so I'm giving it out of 5

Go to: