bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Legends of the East: The Cobra's Eye Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jul 27, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Legends of the East: The Cobra's Eye Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Legends of the East: The Cobra's Eye Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Legends of the East: The Cobra's Eye Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jul 27, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jul 27, 13 1:22 AM
Fairly rudimentary for a CE nowadays -- no extra game play features beyond the simplest of interactive HOs, a symbol finder that glows when you can use it -- find the symbols and get some history added to the diary, and a fast travel map.

Widescreen, not terribly inspired art work, Voice overs, 2 modes of play (casual has sparkles, Advanced does not), diary, strategy guide -- 6 chapters and bonus chapter.

The game play is certainly not complex. Black bars give a lot of guidance. IMHO there are too many cut scenes.

CE extras -- Concept Art, Wallpapers, Movies, Music

Another game that's all about the story. Daniel has abandoned his love, Catherine, in favor of a treasure hunt for the lost ship Santiago and the Cobra's Eye. Now he has disappeared, and his friend Antonio has summoned you (Cathrine) to help find him. There is mystery and intrigue and dark lore -- it could be good, I suppose.

I was not inspired to buy even for the reduced price.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 27, 13 1:42 AM
I'll admit that following Thursday's magnificent CE would be difficult in the best of circumstances ---- but this one is a real clunker. Games by this dev (ChaYoWo) are among my least favorite games, but this one is a failure on way too many levels.

The graphics look old and fuzzy with an extreme overuse of the blue colors so that every scene is similar.

The game is not programmed for widescreen. How ancient is that technology getting to be?

The HOS have way too many indistinguishable objects, thereby becoming more of an eye test than a search distinguished by clever placement.

The puzzles are so simple that a 3 year old could do them. Wait till you see the very first "puzzle". And they are all "old-style" puzzles. (swapping, etc.)

The voiceovers are amateurish, at the very best, with no attempt to lip synch ---- lips don't even move. Like games in 2009. And, like 2009 games, the music is boring, constantly loops, and completely out of place.

The CE package has nothing remarkable ---- 12 wallpapers, 12 scenes of concept art, and other useless fluff.

And the story is a square-eyed-bore that we've seen again and again. And I always find Eastern themes and settings particularly boring.

Sorry, but this dev is making games that look and play just like their games that are years old. And to label this a CE takes a special kind of temerity, IMO.

But, as always, try for yourself and see what you think, with a strong cup of coffee. And, if you like it, the game is 50% off for everyone except members ---- who can have it at 29% off through the weekend.

Sorry, worst CE offering of the year ---- not for today's sophisticated gamers at all.

Edited on 07/27/2013 at 9:14:49 AM PST

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jul 27, 13 1:46 AM
Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure.

Gameplay was very smooth.

Graphics good.

Puzzles - the ones I was able to play were okay but there were a few where you couldn't play because there was a piece missing - I came across quite a few of those.

HO scenes - the ones I came across were find by word list with a little interactivity.

Map - yes, transportable and shows active areas.

Objectives - yes.

Any hidden extras i.e. morphing/collectables/achievements - no. You do get a gadget that you use to find symbols but it doesn't add anything special to the game because it flashes to tell you to use it.

Voiceovers - yes.

Inventory - locks in place.

Journal - yes.

My verdict - not CE material.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Jul 27, 13 3:04 AM
Here I am thinking different. I am truly enjoying the games and the voice acting was done wonderfully. To me Catherine is a delightful lead character. Even in trouble times, she has a wonderful sense of humor.

Story: Daniel looked like he had got himself into a pickle and his girlfriend Catherine not only has to stop some war but save her true love as well and the world too.

Graphics: Mine are awesome. Crisp and clear. Playing on a desktop, but even my laptop has no black bars. H0GS are crisp and clear as well.

Music: Fits beautifully with the game. Not too over done.

Mini Games: Not too hard or easy but a good challenge

Map: It is a jump map. Love those, saves time.

Hint: Not sure didn't use it

All in all I am enjoying it very much. I don't regret buying it in the least. I would have even bought it at the $13.99 price. But couldn't resist the sale

Edited on 07/27/2013 at 3:10:19 AM PST

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Jul 27, 13 6:45 AM
Dull, mundane, trite, well you get the idea. After Thursday's CE, this one is hopelessly inadequate for a CE. I turned off the custom cursor because the gameplay was jerky, but it's still jerky. Don't care enough for the game to bother with it. I actually thought the voiceovers were exceptionally well done. But that's it for good things to say. No buy for me.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 27, 13 7:34 AM
A CE game? Not even close. Graphics aren't bad, but a bit fuzzy. Game play was good. Music was so boring and not appropriate for the setting or scenery, so had to turn it down before I fell alseep. Hint system was helpful, but extremely slow recovery. SG was good, but the pictures were so small it gives you a headache. Yes, you can blow them up larger, but you shouldn't have to. There was plenty of room on the page to make them bigger and easier to see.

HOGs were very messy and cluttered. Items were partially hidden, so you really had to look to find something. Colors were washed out and dull. Way too much eye strain on this one. A lot of cut scenes, but were relevant to the story. Story wasn't too bad, but moved very slowly. Voice overs were nice, but some remarks were quite stupid and not what an adult would say. Games extremely simple.

The only sound FX you hear is right before something is going to happen, then it goes back to the boring music. This could have been a really nice game, but it fell short. No extras, except to find some symbols, which are few and far between. I only found one set during the demo and had 17 minutes left when time ran out.

As I said, this game is not CE worthy and therefore not a buy for me today, even with the special. I will put it in my puddle and maybe get it as an SE, but not even sure about that. This is a very simple, not challenging game that will appeal more to the beginner than anyone else.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jul 27, 13 8:07 AM
I really enjoyed the game most likely i will purchase the game, I like the graphics and sounds..you did a great job DEV;s thank you for all your hard work and time..thx BF for this awesome game..Keep up the good work.. 5 .s by the way try to play all of the demo before you decide if you like to purchase..

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jul 27, 13 8:26 AM
I enjoyed the game but will wait for the SE.....

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 27, 13 9:37 AM
Not a bad game, but not worthy of being a CE. Just the basics with no bels and whistles. I don't feel it is worth the price even at 50% off of retail.(Thanks again BF for ignoring club membership) I think I'll wait for the SE and use a coupon.

[Post New]by rrbwsu2002 on Jul 27, 13 11:20 AM
I have to agree with the majority of reviewers thus so far...this is not a CE level but a SE level game. It was clunky and seemed dated compared to the latest offerings over the last couple of months by BF. Storyline was okay. But there was too much here and there to collect, use and do things, having the map sped it up...along with simple puzzles and okay HOGs.

Not a buy for me at this time...possibly as a SE

Edited on 07/27/2013 at 11:22:45 AM PST

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jul 27, 13 1:28 PM
After reading the reviews, I decided to play the trial anyway. At first, as a lot of you did, I found the gameplay to be rather boring. the graphics ok but could have been better. After a while, the music began to annoy me so I turned it down but not off. I need music to play these games.

I agree with those who said there was too many cut scenes, perhaps too much voiceovers as well, but it was nicely done. And as the trial moved toward the end, I actally began to like it. As far as being CE worthy, not really IMO, but I will more than likely get it when it comes out on standard. The story interested me enough to want to see the outcome. A PCC most diffinutely.

There was no problem with the gameplay that I saw but I thought the curser movement when you used the hint button was unnecessorialy active. I did use hints and the Guide and though it took a full minute, it didn't seem that long.

True, this comes on the heels of a truly outstanding game but it its own right, it has some merit.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 27, 13 2:06 PM
I have read everyone's reviews here and I must be missing something. I think this is a wonderful, heartfelt, game! I have no idea what makes this game so "average" to most of the others. I must admit the graphics are a little fuzzy, but the storyline is excellent. The puzzles seem a little more difficult than Thursday's game. I really like the cute guys in the game. Very nice eye candy! LOL I must admit I love "Portuguese and Spanish (from Spain)" accents. I might throw in there Catalan (Barcelona is in the province of Catalan) as well, which is sort of like Spanish with a French twist to the language since they are close to southwestern France. I am not familiar with this dev. I guess this dev has produced other games on this site, but I don't remember seeing or playing any games associated with them. So.....I guess I will probably purchase (not certain) as I have a load of games I still have to finish. I am busy right now I don't have much free time but try to make time to play these games which I love. I haven't seen any HOGs yet(I hate fine swine) and it seems to be more of an adventure game. If you like adventure, you will love this game, I promise! Keep up the good work Pez Grande. (That is Big Fish in Spanish, but could also be Pez Machado) as well. I have no idea how to say Big Fish in Portuguese but Spanish is close to Portuguese.

Edited on 07/27/2013 at 2:07:59 PM PST

Bee921
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by Bee921 on Jul 27, 13 5:09 PM
I really enjoyed this game! Graphics were great, puzzles were not too easy, most not hard at all. I got the game this morning, finished in about 5 hours. Can't say anything about the music since I always shut it off to avoid distraction ( there are 2 of of playing in the same room, often different games). I read the reviews before buying but since I did play the last one I figured it couldn't really be that bad. Sure am glad I did buy. Well worth the money in my opinion. Thanx BigFish!

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Jul 27, 13 9:09 PM
== Based on full game ==
A terrific adventure--with lovely graphics & some truly creative settings, esp in last 2 chapters. Don't confuse the art style with "old fashioned" graphics. This is a totally up-to-date game, with a sort of hand-drawn type of artistry style add-on & 2-D characters for cutscenes/chatting only; all else is 3-D, no problems, crisp scenes & good effects.
And tons of puzzles, what a joy!
Many types, most not hard, but, yay, this game is not padded-up with hos. Hos are nice enough, yet treated as just one puzzle-type here, so not 50 million of them; in fact, there aren't many hos.
Puzzles all have lovely settings & despite most we've seen before & aren't overly difficult, it's wonderful how the devs have organically placed them to often actually advance the storyline vs just being a step for getting a shovel or a locket. Lots of fun adventure tasking in this game.
Storyline is far better developed than what we usually get in a CE. And the things we do & places we explore are so neat. Game is not especially hard on hardest mode, but hard enough. Scenes are often fresh/unique & the catacombs level, for e.g., is amazing looking. Voiceovers are good too & for once I actually like the character I play. She's brave, smart & some of the dialogue is hilarious.
It's a long game too, esp if one doesn't over-use the terrific jump map or skip puzzles. (At 6 hours now & still have 1/2 of last chapter plus bonus to go.)
This game has no collectibles, no gimmicks, & I'm happy to forego all that for the substance & real sense of adventure it delivers. Moreover, unlike many games, this one's interesting tasks & sense of action are maintained. (Some games do all the best in the demo & don't really keep that pace up.) This one's pace holds with some nice twists & turns too in story. There are bad guys, good guys, crazy guys, rites, monsters, dead guys come back to life, & some obstructive animals too. Haven't had this much adventuring fun from a game in a long time. Give me story & action any day over morphing objects or collectibles. Thanks devs!
My only sorrows are that we cannot replay cutscenes; I think all CEs should allow that; & I'd too-quiet sounds in some cutscenes.
Great game overall; definitely recommend.

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Jul 28, 13 1:47 AM
I bought this game, without much thinking I have to admit, prompted by this weekend's offer. The beginning of the game is a little disappointing but as the story evolves it's getting more and more interesting. As other players already said, the game lacks some extras but it has a pretty good length, interesting plot and well... it's not a spectacular game but I have to acknowledge the developer's effort to make a decent one. You could either take advantage of this weekend's discount or wait for the SE. You could also completely ignore it if you want. It's up to you!
I hope you all have a great Sunday.

Edited on 10/12/2013 at 9:59:07 PM PST

Tammy735
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Tammy735 on Jul 28, 13 5:16 AM
The game is good except when you get to the puzzle in the warehouse. There is an arrow button missing and no way to put one in, whether your inventory is locked or not. Now I'm stuck and no way to go any further.

12george
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by 12george on Jul 28, 13 9:57 AM
why do they have half off game weekend and not offer any good games..... always spooky or gory games i hate...

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 28, 13 11:46 AM
Not a bad game, enjoyed the puzzles and HOG's. Has a map and hints reload fast. Will wait for the SE as way too many games to play right now.. Give this 3 out of 5 stars..

Go to: