silverfiesta
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

cursing

[Post New]by silverfiesta on Jul 31, 13 10:54 PM
Well, I didn't even get thru half of the demo before I encountered, "Oh Jesus" twice and an, OMG. That was enough for me. Why do they have to take my Lord's name in vain. No one ever say, "Oh Buddha, or Mohammed, or Krishna..." It is not acceptable in any context in any game and it should be changed or not offered by BF. I really feel strongly about this, so despite some good reviews I am done.

Re:cursing

[Post New]by murdock1 on Jul 31, 13 11:48 PM
Couldn't agree more. Blasphemy is not acceptable in my home and certainly not in my games.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Aug 1, 13 12:46 PM
It's realistic, because that's the way people speak. I don't find it offensive at all. There is a minority of extremely religious people who find all kinds of things in games offensive, but the majority do not. If all games were made to suit the most religious, no one else would probably find them very interesting, and sales would suffer. I personally find the "family friendly" games to be pretty insipid.

And if someone says OMG, it could refer to ANY god, now, couldn't it? Not just yours.

Skipperbp32
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Skipperbp32 on Aug 1, 13 12:47 PM
At the very least the BFG page describing the game should have a warning on it for the language. The language is startling given that the game complexity and sentence structure are clearly geared for a younger audience. There is nothing, nothing to be gained and much to lose by the use of the language.

I have to believe the designer is merely naive. Hopefully they will research optional language for their next game.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Aug 1, 13 1:49 PM
The language isn't offensive for a majority of people. "Mild profanity" might be an adequate warning if one is needed. I have not yet encountered any four-letter words that would require a warning. (Have you listened to kids talk lately? LOL.)

This doesn't strike me as a kid's game at all. The level of logic and exploration are not apt for a young kid. This is a teen - adult game. What is gained by using "realistic" language is realism. I hope they keep their "adult" language and ignore the religious extremists.

PS... Don't play "Sinking Island", LOL.

stephensol1
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by stephensol1 on Aug 1, 13 4:40 PM
I'm relatively new to Christianity,and honestly it never crossed my mind that saying OMG was a sin, even though I know the commandments. Good to you for speaking up!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 1, 13 8:03 PM
I am wondering now whether that is the reason why the actors in movies all of a sudden say "O - M- G" instead of spelling it out, as they used to. Perhaps there were all these complaints about taking the Lord's name in vain or something similar, so that the film studios decided to change it to just "O - M - G", which to me sounds completely silly.

I agree with Phatkhat that some people seem to take offence at just about anything. It must be difficult for these people to cope in the world of today, what with most everybody swearing, cursing, and television programmes and films not being any better.

And whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Edited on 08/01/2013 at 8:08:28 PM PST

Melymc
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Melymc on Aug 2, 13 6:00 AM
They say O-M-G now because it is text speak and that is the "hip" thing to do. It will pass just like any other fad. It is silly. I hate it when someone talks in "text speak". It's usually teenagers or young adults. But, my 18 year old sister does it. She texts so much that she talks to her friends verbally in the abbreviated way that she texts. It's annoying to follow.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Aug 2, 13 9:22 AM
Yikes! I had no idea that kids were speaking in "texting". That's... bizarre. I don't know any young people well, and I don't watch many movies at all - and none of the "kid" movies. No TV, either, so I'm out of touch. I guess I need to get out more, LOL!

[Post New]by pammyd9388 on Aug 2, 13 6:52 PM
OMG this is a game and should be viewed as such..there's enough political correctness in the world without you lot bringing it to the game..and YES I AM RELIGIOUS..just not overly so and I DO NOT EXPECT EVERYBODY TO STOP LIVING BECAUSE OF IT

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Aug 2, 13 7:00 PM
Nothing wrong with mentioning Jesus or God unless it is accompanied by profanity. I'm Catholic and I use our Lord's name frequently. I think He is happy to be remembered.

ixuss1990
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by ixuss1990 on Aug 3, 13 1:07 AM
Hi, all!
By the way, released a new version. No more cursing!

cursing

[Post New]by ChainOfDogs on Aug 3, 13 11:08 AM
silverfiesta wrote:Well, I didn't even get thru half of the demo before I encountered, "Oh Jesus" twice and an, OMG. That was enough for me. Why do they have to take my Lord's name in vain. No one ever say, "Oh Buddha, or Mohammed, or Krishna..." It is not acceptable in any context in any game and it should be changed or not offered by BF. I really feel strongly about this, so despite some good reviews I am done.

It's not blasphemous because there's no such thing as god/s. If you want to worship something, try worshipping something that's actually not useless.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Aug 3, 13 11:18 AM
Ramen.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Aug 3, 13 11:22 AM
By the way, released a new version. No more cursing!

Well, since I am not using hints anyhow, I have no reason to get the new version. I will keep the "adult" version, since I am an adult. I'm very, very sorry they caved to the extremists on this. It sets a VERY bad precedent. At the very least, they should keep both versions available for those who want a more realistic experience.

LOL, if it were me, and I were in my cabin and heard all that ruckus, believe me, I'd have said something much stronger than "Jesus! What was THAT?"

Melymc
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Melymc on Aug 4, 13 7:28 AM
I have the first version and am almost done and there is not a curse word there. I am confused. I see what they are saying about taking the lord's name in vain, but no curse words?

griffgirl
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by griffgirl on Aug 4, 13 8:53 PM
It's a game people. Cursing happens in life.

Go to: