Tips and tricks & walkthroughs

[Post New]by gamergiant on Aug 1, 13 4:15 AM
I'm starting this thread to share my thoughts and ideas about the game:

1- In stage 2 (levels 2-1 to 2-9) when it's raining, the blue and yellow birds are absent, and until you have enough money to buy the birds with umbrella that can fly in the rain from the shop let me give you this tip: place as many chests as you can and use the orange small cannons when the level starts, it costs 0 coins in the rain and it can take out the regular pirates -that come in during the first phase- easily, place them far enough from the pirates because they shoot short-ranged bullets. By the time the other nasty pirates approach you already have collected enough coins to place more powerful weapons.

2- Gold stars can be accumulated unlike the silver ones, place 2 or 3 gold chests and start collecting gold stars as much as you can, you will need them as the game progresses, and I have this little strategy where I use golden chests in one level and collect enough gold stars for the current and the next levels, that way I could not pick the golden chest in the next level and leave room for a powerful weapon.

More to come as I play more.. and you all are welcome to share your tips as well.

Edited on 08/03/2013 at 2:58:14 AM PST

vickijb
Clownfish
Clownfish
687 Posts

Re:Tips and tricks & walkthroughs

[Post New]by vickijb on Aug 1, 13 7:55 PM
Level 3: I didn't get rid of the smoke because I didn't want to waste a weapons slot. I also did not cover the holes, otherwise I just used the same strategy as level 2. Large barrels to slow, build money as quick as possible, use the small cannons, and always keep enough money for some bombs. I also used the large barrels and regular cannon to build my gold stars up by leaving one of the regenerating skeletons alive but delaying him with the barrels, then filling in the whole area with gold chests and collecting gold stars until I was bored or the skeleton worked its way through the final barrel. You can also ensure that you have the required number of parrot heads this way.

Level 4: When you get to the fourth level,I used the purple canon (it fires in three directions) instead of filling in the open space. Just place a couple of purple cannons, at least one on each side of the open trench and they will cover that area. I also use the barrels and and the small cheap cannons and small and large bombs.

Edited on 08/02/2013 at 6:53:21 AM PST

Uzea
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Uzea on Aug 2, 13 3:25 AM
How do you kill the regenerating skeletons?

ruafox2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by ruafox2 on Aug 2, 13 5:30 AM
You kill the regenerating skeleton with the torch in front of a cannon. Only fire can kill him.

vickijb
Clownfish
Clownfish
687 Posts

[Post New]by vickijb on Aug 2, 13 6:51 AM
Bombs will also kill them.

[Post New]by oceanloverOH on Aug 2, 13 5:28 PM
Anybody done level 5-1 or beyond yet? It's a rainy level; I did purchase an umbrella bluebird a few rounds ago....but he doesn't drop stars nearly as frequently as the regular bird does. My problem on level 5 is that there are several skeletons with cannons that take out all my weapons and chests, leaving me helpless. Info tells me that their weakness is shield. What is shield?

[Post New]by oceanloverOH on Aug 2, 13 8:36 PM
I can answer my own question! When choosing your weapons for level 5, be sure and get the small double cannons (no cost in the rain), the pink whirly bullet thrower (shoots in all directions at once) and the TNT. Set up at least 4 double cannons at the halfway point, they'll take care of the easy pirates. All the while, buy silver chests like crazy (at least 6-8) and 1 gold chest. Then start buying pink whirlies, try to have at least 2 before the first pirate wave. Then just keep picking up coins. When the cannon pirates come out, blast near one with TNT and they'll all die! Bombs will also kill cannons.

FeyKina
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by FeyKina on Aug 8, 13 12:27 AM
Level 6-3 with all the cannon guys is really tough.... Between fireballs and cannon balls I can never get my defenses up. Looks like you need "shield" but I not gotten it yet. Can you just re-play until you bonk enough parrots to get it? guess I'll find out.

If anybody has ideas please share,,,thanks

[Post New]by oceanloverOH on Aug 10, 13 11:03 AM
@FeyKina: Yes, you can replay, but it'll cost you a life each time. When you run out of lives, you have to start back at the beginning of the chapter. No big deal if you're only on 6-3, but if you're on 6-9, it's really frustrating to have to start back at the beginning of Chapter 6! One helpful strategy I've found is to ALWAYS have the small blue double cannon in your inventory (they're free in the rain, and cheap if it's not raining). If you wait till the easier pirates walk by and place one behind him, a quick couple of shots in the back and splat! Then of course that cannon will hold off the next guy for a few minutes. For the levels with cannon pirates and fireball pirates, also have the fire cannon and big bomb in your inventory. So the whole time the little cannons are holding off the easier guys, stockpile as many chests as you can, which will give you the stars needed to start buying and placing fire cannons; they kill the fireball pirates in just a few shots. Bombs destroy cannon pirates.

Good luck!

[Post New]by Creepycrawler on Aug 12, 13 8:51 AM
how do you kill the pirate ghost in the extra game play? They give you 5 weapons to kill 5 different pirates. I always die when the pirate ghost comes out.

[Post New]by oceanloverOH on Aug 12, 13 6:39 PM
The Jack Cannon (a black cannon, cost 150) is the ONLY weapon that will make ghost pirates visible and kill them. If it's not in your inventory yet, you will need to keep replaying and killing parrots till you earn it.

Edited on 08/12/2013 at 6:40:14 PM PST

[Post New]by Creepycrawler on Aug 16, 13 10:46 AM
Thanks, I eventually found that out and thanks for the help. Do the shields come later in inventory too? Just got the double star treasure chests.

Blomie2000
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Blomie2000 on Aug 18, 13 11:21 AM
The shield is the last thing you get in your inventory. It's great, but it wont stop the ghost pirates. As mentioned above, only jack cannons can do that. I think the mini cannon can do it too, but it takes longer. As for the fire-shooting pirates they can't be stopped by a trap - even an upgraded one. The upgraded trap is really great as they stop every single pirate (that's not flying) including the giant pink one, except the fire-shooting one and the ghost.

emi1y
Clownfish
Clownfish
519 Posts

[Post New]by emi1y on Aug 21, 13 11:46 AM
I dont know if this has been mentioned ... but here's a little cheat I did early on so gold chests aren't an issue for me.

On a lower level with the regenerating pirates (the blue ones that only die by fire or bombs), when the level is ending and the only thing left is a single regenerating pirate, just put a bunch of freeze cannons in front of him, clear out everything else on the board and fill it up with double gold chests. You will need silver chests to buy the gold ones so replace those out last.

I got my ammo up to the max, 99,999, and then took out a bomb to finish him off. I'm up to level 9 and still have almost 50,000 ammo.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Nov 29, 13 4:37 PM
I've only just started playing and am at an early stage (3 something). I've got 50 k ammo, thanks for the immortal pirate farming idea. An easy trick that isn't mentioned above is to bring the cheap little bomb (25) which only kills one enemy. You can then just build 5 silver chests and use the cheap bomb on the first enemy. That way you get a faster silver economy. At this early stage the cheap bomb and the area-effect bomb are very useful and either one will kill immortals or help with incursions.

Now at 4 something. The double catapult is fairly effective against crawlers, but sometimes I need bomb. As suggested in the forum, Cannonzilla (purple cannon with teeth) effective on levels with a central trench, so no need to fill it in. I have 8 slots so I can keep my ammo topped up to 99999 on every level by bringing the gold chest. I've been farming immortals so I can spin out each level until I have the new weapon. Most of the new weapons don't seem great, but I like the new treetrunk, kills everything in a row (like a slow jalapeno in PvZ).

There's a slightly tricky changeover which for me happened in the middle of the 5th chapter. I had done most of the 4th chapter with 7 slots, but had 8 slots before 5-1. I managed to get the extra blue bird before the rain levels. But I didn't have 9 slots going into later levels like 5-7. There's a slight problem with fire pirates and cannon pirates, both of which can destroy your towers, although the cannons are more dangerous because they can leave holes in the deck, so you'd best have the plank. I used bombs to kill these, but the difficulty is if bomb isn't recharged or they appear on both sides. With 8 slots and rain I use chest, twin mini-cannon, bomb, mini-bomb, barrel, double catapult, cannon-zilla for 7 of the slots. So I'd need plank for the 8th slot against cannon pirates, which leaves me vulnerable if bomb isn't recharged. With fire pirates, and no cannon pirates, I can use flame-thrower. Really I want a 9th slot to be safe and have both, but I didn't have it by level 5-7. Don't have shield yet either.

Edited on 12/01/2013 at 8:23:02 AM PST

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Dec 1, 13 8:49 AM
By the end of 5-9 I have the 9th slot because I'm getting a lot more money at this point, but now I have giant pirates and fire pirates... I'll let you know what happens.

Decided to change strategy! No more barrels because the giant pirates can squash them. Instead, even though I'm in daylight, bring twin mini-cannon (cost 25) because it's cheap to replace if squashed or otherwise destroyed. Use cannon-reezer (the blue cannon that freezes) to back up double catapult, and plank to have that combo on every row. I'm experimenting with twin chest so I can do with only two columns of chests. There are lots of options now with 9 slots but I still have two more weapons to go so I'm sticking with mini-bomb and bomb. I may be forced to try something wacky later. At this point I'd say the game is more of a challenge than PvZ and it's good that I'm being forced to vary my strategy.

By Chapter 6, I add 2 cannon-zilla in the inner rows (next to trench) to cover all the rows so I can get my non-trench chests in place without worrying about early flying pirates.

Edited on 12/01/2013 at 2:17:29 PM PST

Go to: