bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Forest Legends: The Call of Love Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 3, 13 12:29 AM
Deep in the heart of an enchanted forest, a forbidden love blooms. Guide the human Eveline as she sets out to rescue her beloved from the clutches of a tyrant, learns the truth about magic and discovers her extraordinary destiny! Epic in scope and exploring themes of love and belief, Forest Legends:The Call of Love will captivate you from beginning to end!

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won’t find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Re:Forest Legends: The Call of Love Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bribling on Aug 3, 13 2:43 AM
It's very pretty. It is also quite different from games I usually play and so I used a few Hints (seldom need them). It has a Map which is good because I often was unsure of what I was doing and the map helped me see when it was time to move. As is so often the case these days, you have a cute animal helper and meet more cute and not-so-cute animals along the way. You have to mix potions, something I never enjoy but that is in more and more games lately it seems. You can skip some things. Some of the puzzles are new or are different takes on older ones. I enjoyed the slider puzzle. It was not too difficult but was just hard enough to make me feel smart when I finished it which didn't take too long. A couple other things I was clueless about. The Bell puzzle seemed easy but I got it wrong apparently and could not see what to do so I skipped it and got to watch as it solved itself and then still did not really understand why my solution was wrong.

This is not really my kind of puzzle, the potions are definitely a killer for me. As soon as I finished the first potion (not fun for me) there was another to make so I am guessing that won't be the last one either. Overall, it was not a bad game but for me not a Buy at least not now. Pretty is one thing, potions is another. I recommend that you try it though, I am certain that many will love this pretty walk in the forest.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 3, 13 3:33 AM
What a game! What a game! Some things are a tad disappointing, like there are separate cursors pointing to the different directions, so you have your own and the pointing cursor when you point to a certain direction.

So... what else was disappointing... can't remember. Maybe nothing.

The good things are: great graphics
love the animation
interesting story and fun gameplay.

There is a map, which can be used to jump. It also shows where actions are needed.

The SG - alas - can only be opened from the Main Menu, and doesn't open at all in the demo version. So no idea what goodies are hidden within. That might have been the other slight disappointment.
ETA: After purchasing the game, I found out that there are 6 chapters plus the bonus chapter.

There are 70 documents to be found. But they are easily found, usually among other things you need to find. And they tell the story of this world we play in when you open your diary to that section.

This game is over 1.7 GB large - huge... Can't remember ever having played a game on here that is that big.

I have not come across any HOS (hidden object scenes) in the 45 minutes I played, so perhaps this is one of those lovely games that plays like a HOG but isn't one.

But there are puzzles and mini games which, for me, are between the categories of "lots of fun" and "skip it". Thankfully, both HINT and SKIP button fill fast in Casual mode (there are 2 difficulty modes).

I love this game. It's enchanting and different.

I love this game. However, I will wait for the SE, even though I really want to continue playing this game right now. But there simply is nothing in the main game that shouts "CE-worthy".

--- --- ---

Oh, I just remembered: in this weekend's sale I only pay an extra $1.40 (+20% tax) when buying the CE instead of the SE. Now there is an insentive...

--- --- ---

Something else I forgot to mention: Click on all the different things where your cursor changes into a hand. For example, on your porch/veranda - just outside your room, at the right is an apple. Click on it, again... and again.
And on the left side, there are 2 paper airplanes. Click on them too. These are just 2 examples of animation in this game. BTW, I bought the CE, and am so far very happy with it.

Edited on 08/03/2013 at 8:11:09 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 3, 13 3:46 AM

I really liked the beta version so I bought this right away. It took a few minutes for me to get into the story, in the beta, but when the demo was over I wanted more.

For those that remember Tiger Eye , the were-tiger idea is not so strange. Someone in the review section called it "unnatural" but if you like fantasy/adventure/romance this may be a game for you.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Aug 3, 13 3:59 AM
Wow, that's an excellent sale! I wanted this and the Bloody Mary CE and saved over $10 for the two. It ended up being $16 and change which isn't much more than I would have paid for one game.

Thanks BFG!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 3, 13 3:59 AM
Oooh... I wouldn't mind a big strong muscular man who changes into a dangerous beast when I need to be protected...

Besides, that felize, or whatever he was, was not a werecat (or whatever he was) all the time. He was able to change into a complete human form (except for his pupils). So that girl didn't have to look at a lion-lookalike all the time (or was it a tiger-lookalike?). Or both...

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 3, 13 4:00 AM
Absolutely agree with Valdy on this game; enchanting and different is a perfect description. And no HOS, which suits me fine

And as I said in my review, I loved the original 'Beauty and the Beast' TV series so the idea of falling in love with someone like Vincent or Aurleo seems perfectly natural to me!

And with the sale, I'm only paying about £1 more for the CE than for the SE, so it's definitely a buy for me. But unfortunately even though I can buy it today, I can't download it as I haven't enough data allowance left, so will have to wait 10 days before I can d/l and play it

The joys of not having access to fixed line broadband

Edited on 08/03/2013 at 4:08:34 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Aug 3, 13 4:01 AM
jkuci wrote:
I really liked the beta version so I bought this right away. It took a few minutes for me to get into the story, in the beta, but when the demo was over I wanted more.

For those that remember Tiger Eye , the were-tiger idea is not so strange. Someone in the review section called it "unnatural" but if you like fantasy/adventure/romance this may be a game for you.

Unnatural huh? Compared to all the mutated plants and animals, vampires, zombie pirates and eldritch creatures we normally see in games? Oy vay.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 3, 13 7:50 AM
I beta this game and I did't like it. But then I was suprised when I demo this game today. It was so different! And now I like it very much. Love the colors and the puzzles.

Thanks devs and BF!

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Aug 3, 13 8:07 AM
Well I tried to like it but did not succeed The graphics are appealing, but the characters just did not grab my attention. And I found the movement really awkward. Did not finish the demo and will not be purchasing the game.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Aug 3, 13 9:35 AM
I found the movement awkward as well. It was very sluggish, even with the system cursor. I might buy it, but not as a CE.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 3, 13 9:52 AM
Quoting Valdy " What a game ! What a game ! " I have to agree.

Beautiful graphics, enchanting, fun, pretty to look, and lots to do. And NO HOS. Yay !! Nice for a change. Gotta have the CE on this one as I want it to last a long time.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Aug 3, 13 10:52 AM
NO HOS??? Truly??? Hmm. That might overcome my dislike of romance story lines and cloyingly cute critter helpers... Guess I'll give it a try, since there IS a sale...

wolfrun_cb1
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by wolfrun_cb1 on Aug 3, 13 11:49 AM
Valdy wrote:What a game! What a game! Some things are a tad disappointing, like there are separate cursors pointing to the different directions, so you have your own and the pointing cursor when you point to a certain direction.

So... what else was disappointing... can't remember. Maybe nothing.

The good things are: great graphics
love the animation
interesting story and fun gameplay.

There is a map, which can be used to jump. It also shows where actions are needed.

The SG - alas - can only be opened from the Main Menu, and doesn't open at all in the demo version. So no idea what goodies are hidden within. That might have been the other slight disappointment.
ETA: After purchasing the game, I found out that there are 6 chapters plus the bonus chapter.

There are 70 documents to be found. But they are easily found, usually among other things you need to find. And they tell the story of this world we play in when you open your diary to that section.

This game is over 1.7 GB large - huge... Can't remember ever having played a game on here that is that big.

I have not come across any HOS (hidden object scenes) in the 45 minutes I played, so perhaps this is one of those lovely games that plays like a HOG but isn't one.

But there are puzzles and mini games which, for me, are between the categories of "lots of fun" and "skip it". Thankfully, both HINT and SKIP button fill fast in Casual mode (there are 2 difficulty modes).

I love this game. It's enchanting and different.

I love this game. However, I will wait for the SE, even though I really want to continue playing this game right now. But there simply is nothing in the main game that shouts "CE-worthy".

--- --- ---

Oh, I just remembered: in this weekend's sale I only pay an extra $1.40 (+20% tax) when buying the CE instead of the SE. Now there is an insentive...

--- --- ---

Something else I forgot to mention: Click on all the different things where your cursor changes into a hand. For example, on your porch/veranda - just outside your room, at the right is an apple. Click on it, again... and again.
And on the left side, there are 2 paper airplanes. Click on them too. These are just 2 examples of animation in this game. BTW, I bought the CE, and am so far very happy with it.

wolfrun_cb1
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by wolfrun_cb1 on Aug 3, 13 11:50 AM
Actually you can access the strategy guide within the game. If you click on the item just above the little dragon in the right corner you are taken right into the SG.

LadyBlue0321
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by LadyBlue0321 on Aug 3, 13 1:22 PM
Really disliked this game for many reasons. While the graphics were pretty, the gameplay was clunky. Directional arrows, "special area" windows don't close automatically once a required action is complete, which to me is a subtle hint that there might be more to do. I don't like that you have to "close" a puzzle window, instead of just being able to click outside of it. Wasted clicking.. no joy. Conversations between characters is laborious and slow. Not a buy for me.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Aug 3, 13 4:31 PM
Ewwww.....not for me....

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Aug 3, 13 4:56 PM
wolfrun_cb1 wrote:Actually you can access the strategy guide within the game. If you click on the item just above the little dragon in the right corner you are taken right into the SG.

i'm curious to know if you bought the game... because when i clicked on the SG link on the main menu, it stated that it was locked until the game was purchased.
i don't remember seeing any link above the dragon when i looked for the SG link in the game.

perhaps a link shows up above the dragon after purchase?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 3, 13 9:28 PM
I can't remember seeing that gong-like object above the dragon in the demo version. I could be wrong though. Either way, not exactly telling me "that's the way to the SG".

--- --- ---

For all those gamers who have phobias of certain creatures, here is a slight spoiler. Hover over it with your cursor to see:

SPOILER ALERT There are quite a few snakes throughout the game. Most, if not all of them are made of stone. Can't remember anymore whether one of them moved. But if they did, it was just like a toy snake moving.

The second creature that I am actually allergic to, and which comes pretty much towards the end of the main game, is the spider. In fact, there are 3 huge spiders. You have to shoot them to get rid of them. With a gun... into their bullseye bodies. *shudders*
END OF SPOILER ALERT

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 4, 13 1:44 AM
I just finished the game, and am very happy I bought the CE. The game was not too long but long enough, and gameplay was just pure fun. I kept expecting a HOS around each corner where I saw sparklies, but there never were any.

The info below is about the bonus game (which I enjoyed very much), so if you don't want to know what it contains, don't read...

SPOILER ALERT Hover over with the cursor to see text: The bonus game was quite long as well, and told the story of the girl's mother, and how the girl came to be taken from her home. Again, snakes and monster (i.e. snakes) are also in this game. There are also 20 more documents to be found in the bonus game. END OF SPOILER ALERT

Go to: