bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for Forest Legends: The Call of Love Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 3, 13 12:42 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Forest Legends: The Call of Love Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Forest Legends: The Call of Love Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgFounder

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Re:Reviews for Forest Legends: The Call of Love Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 3, 13 12:43 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgFounder

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Aug 3, 13 1:06 AM
All awesome game makers are entitled to an oops and Big Al is no exception. After them having blockbusters such as Sacra Terra Kiss of Death, House of a 1000 Doors Serpent's Flame, & Stray Souls Stolen Memories, they have this, Forest Legends: The Call of Love. The main character looks like a cross between Pippy Longstocking and Twiggy, & her voice drives me nuts. And I think I would of lost it if I read one more time, "I must save my beloved". The only plus side to the game was that she reads the journal not you. Sorry Big Al, but I won't be buying the CE or SE version of this game. To me I rate it a 3 star and that's being generous. This review was based on the beta version and the demo. The beta version story was slightly different than the demo, still not much better. The sale price still won't have me buying this game.

Story: As the story opens you see Evelyn and Aurleo staring lovingly into each others eyes. He then gives her a baby dragon, but then the love fest is disrupted by hunters who are after Aurleo because he is a Feliz (werecat). She takes Aurleo home to mend his wounds and dad comes in asked if she hurts and she disgraces her father by telling him she is in love with Aurleo. Honestly, I wouldn't fall in love with him because he does turn into an animal. Umm not natural and disgusting. o_O

Graphics: On the slide here. Big Al had much better graphics. These to me look kind of washed. And my monitor is only 2 months old.

Music: Yes it does fit the game. Always did like Big Al's music.

Mini games: Are so-so. I didn't find them all that interesting.

Hint: Recharged fairly quickly. When you need to use it because you are lost, the hint does take you where you need to be instead of hitting it over and over.

Map: Jump map. And if I remember correctly, it did tell you your tasks.

Edited on 08/03/2013 at 1:12:18 AM PST

Sforet71
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by Sforet71 on Aug 3, 13 1:11 AM
I agree with Sassylassie. I decided (thankfully) to download demo instead of buying like I usually do all CE. Just the story description and 3 pictures shown look fishy. I do not believe there are going to be HO scenes. I may be wrong but in the 30 minutes I tried to stomach this game I found none. Seemed a little childish really as far as looks and game just not put together well. But to each his own, may be someone else's cup of tea, myself I perfer coffee..oh well, off to replay Thursday's awesome game all over again.. This one's a miss IMO. Good devs to. Really shocked they drop the ball on this one. Stratergy guide isn't available in demo mode so no way to tell if it's all adventure or actually HO scenes too.

Edited on 08/03/2013 at 1:13:44 AM PST

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Aug 3, 13 2:03 AM
This is a game for those of us who can let our imagination have free rein and just go along for the ride. You also need to be a romantic who enjoys a setting like you find in A Midsummer Night's Dream. It is not going to be for everyone. I played the demo and enjoyed it. The first drawback I found is that you have absolutely no access to the SG until you purchase the game. Another even more annoying little shortcoming is that not all puzzles have a reset button. There is one that consists of three figures of hunters that need to be slid into their proper places, but once you start, you either have to be able to finish or you will have to skip because there is no reset on that one. On the plus side, the music is very pleasant and the graphics are utterly gorgeous. The characters are appropriate for the storyline, which is interesting and has a deeper meaning if you care to think about it. There are two difficulty modes (I played on the easier one.) and you can adjust the volume for music, sound effects and voices. The mini-games/puzzles were interesting and challenging. I had not encountered a standard HOS, but you do have to be aware of objects you encounter and need to pick up. There is an interactive map which shows where you have a task to perform. You have an inventory and you will acquire a "potion pot" to be used along the way. I completely fell in love wth my helper - an absolutely adorable baby dragon. (I want one, for real! lol) All in all, I would give it a 3 1/2 to 4 stars out of 5.

Edited on 08/03/2013 at 2:06:50 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 3, 13 3:47 AM
I'm with thistle809 on this game; gorgeous graphics, some very good puzzles which ranged from fairly easy to much more challenging, no HOS in the demo so probably aren't any at all (which suits me just fine), a map which shows you where there are actions to perform, an adorable 'hint giver' and a story which is right up my street.

As a huge fan of the original 'Beauty and the Beast' TV series (not the awful re-make), falling in love with someone who isn't altogether human is perfectly understandable. Besides, it's a game, so whether or not the characters are human is pretty much irrelevant. And personally I thought Aurleo was gorgeous

I was slightly disappointed that the SG wasn't available in the demo, so no chance to see how many chapters there are. But this game held my interest for the entire demo, unlike Thursday's CE which didn't. It won't be for everyone but for me it was different and very engaging; I want to know what happens (and where Eveline came from). And at the sale price, it's a bargain A buy for me.

Edited on 08/03/2013 at 3:48:41 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 3, 13 4:15 AM
Fantasy Romance In Puzzle Adventure

BASED ON DEMO

N.B. No HOs In This Game

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This game begins with more subdued start than we’ve seen most often recently. We are told the story of the history between two races, one human and one magical, in a ‘drawing on parchment’ story board with an excellent voiceover.

Our introduction to the story of Eveline’s and Aurelio’s romance begins with a war. Theirs is a forbidden love between a human and a Felize (shape shifting werecat), and we begin the game with a clandestine meeting between them, which is interrupted by hunters who wound Aurelio, and we are now on the run. Shocking news about our father sets the scene for some mystery and intrigue.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The imagery for this game is beautiful and strange. The graphics are a kind of washed out water colour. It has the effect of making all that we see seem fragile and delicate, like porcelain. The music reminds me of early renaissance stringed instruments, and again, that sense of impermanence pervades. Interesting choices of background sounds also add to the alien nature of this beautiful and gentle world, which only the humans seem to disturb with images of ugliness and violence. It is all magically done...

There are a large number of cut scenes in the demo, I imagine that will drop off once we have a full understanding of the story.

MAKING PROGRESS
At this early stage, the game seems to be moving a bit slowly, but I think that’s due to its alien environment. There is much we must learn. The puzzles/mini-games so far have all been very easy, but well designed and a bit different.

The bulk of the time has been spent on finding our way around, meeting our hint and offsider (a baby dragon), getting our interactive jump map, and notebook (with task list). Hint points out not only where an action is required but also which inventory item to use.The gameplay follows a reasonably logical path, and I have so far had no difficulty working out what to do next.

to be continued...

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 3, 13 4:17 AM
Fantasy Romance In Puzzle Adventure

BASED ON DEMO

N.B. No HOs In This Game

BLING!
We have a Potion Pot, which provides us with the recipes for, and allows us to concoct, magic potions. This involves following the recipe instructions for order of ingredients added, mix/slicing/chopping, and stirring. Each step requires you to follow a different arrow line with the cursor. In a nice twist, you can skip an individual step in this mini-game.

We have 70 Memos to collect, which give us greater details on the world and its creatures.

CE extras are the standard ones, with an added “Story” which cannot be accessed until completion of the game .

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I really like this game. It doesn’t scream “must have” at me, but this hour has been a serene alternative to the excitement and terror of recent offerings.

I recommend this game!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Aug 3, 13 4:40 AM
A really great game that is a big-time departure from the usual CE offering. It's an adventure game that is prersented very nicely, with beautiful scenery and graphics that are crystal clear, and NO HOS ---- this is a "thinking cap" type game, especially if you choose the more difficult level. No hand-holding ---- in fact, the SG isn't even available until you buy.

The puzzles drive a lot of the game, and they are clever and interesting to play.

The hints fill quickly, and you can fill immediately with an innovative pick-up which you'll discover early on.

The map is extremely helpful, and keeps you on track, and the journal is very well done in that it is full of information.

There are documents to be found that tell the story.

CE package appears to be the usual.

This game is unusual, different, and has a lot of enchanting aspects that makes it a big departure from the norm, and I like that a lot. It's good to get a break from the same old things that we see so often. The game is clever, very nicely presented, and really demands an imaginative view to enjoy. And at the nice sale price, it's a buy for me.

Very well done ---- more like this one, please.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 3, 13 4:54 AM
RATS Another potentially great HOG ruined by Puzzles and Adventure.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 3, 13 5:09 AM
I know voices shouldn't be a make or break for a game, but really? The daughter sounds American, the father sounds British, and the "werecat" sounds like a bad Bela Lugosi. The graphics are pretty enough, but I don't like any of those characters and I'm pretty much done with cute animal companions...even dragons. So, maybe as an SE offered as a DD, but not this CE for certain.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Aug 3, 13 7:45 AM
This game has been thoroughly reviewed by everyone else, so I won't comment on the aspects of it, other than to say, yes the daughter has an American accent, Aurelio has some kind of European/cum Spanish, I have no idea what accent, but the healer also has an American accent, and I think we have a general idea of who she might be, more or less, so the accents which usually drive me crazy, didn't this time. I liked the thrust of the story a lot, even with a medieval/fantasy setting where they apparently have typesetting, ample paper supplies and newspapers (?), but all those cavils aside, I liked the game and since the dev. was kind enough to allow no access to the SG making it obvious you can play without it, I was reminded of the sale when I finished the demo and decided to buy it on sale, rather than wait for the SE. This was mostly based on the great graphics, the love story, and the color values, which were very nice. I don't miss HOPs (HOS's -- what are we calling them these days anyway?) at all, although at one point I felt I was dashing through a maze and losing my sense of direction which is usually very good, and some of the mini-games aren't my favorite types, but still, I liked it enough to buy it with the sale.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Aug 3, 13 8:59 AM
Enjoying the fantasy-adventure storyline, lovely artwork/graphics, & devs have put amazing care into creating the settings, even going so far as to have little text comments attached to most items of the sceneries, e.g., pics on wall, flowers, etc.
Being able to catch a funny remark, eat an apple, touch a dream catcher, all that is very engaging & makes me really enjoy this optional exploring.

Music is very good & I adore having the journal read to me.

There are, sadly, far too many blackbar hints, tips on Expert, however. I wish devs would stop this, as we have a strat guide in CEs if we're stuck, after all.

Puzzles are well presented, fun so far, & definitely a good variety.
Baby dragon helper is really cute to me & he fits well the story's atmosphere.
Also, the method to collect "memos" (which give deeper story/tasking) makes the "collectibles" in this CE actually useful!

Best of all, it seems NO HOS (fingers-crossed that continues). As I'm tired of suffering hos after hos to simply carry on an adventure, this no-hos made game an instant buy for me, with its great production values & entertainment adding more plus plusses!
Thanks devs & !

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Aug 3, 13 10:46 AM
No HOS? I gotta try this!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 3, 13 12:41 PM
Alls A War has given us another great game. They have probably become my favorite dev on this site. I probably like the one from last week a little better, however. I am really surprised by some of the negative reviews. I must admit I love cats (I have a cat with a major attitude problem) so I guess I can understand people not liking the game because of the "cat" theme. Also this is more of an adventure game (Yeh!). I agree with some others that are tired of the all the HOG games. But if you like HOG games, you will probably not like this. I am not a fine swine fan at all. I am glad to see BF branching out and giving us more adventure games. The love story is a little schmaltzy but has a nice storyline. I think I would rather date Mr. Werecat than some of the "normal homosapien men" out there
I cannot for the life of me understand why everyone is concerned with the accents??? In Europe you encounter many different accents . And, I might add, there are many from European countries who play these games in English. I cannot tell the accents myself. I don't think the one is Spanish however. However, Spain has many dialects throughout the provinces, so it is hard to tell. Having been a high school exchange student in Spain, I am only familiar with those in the southern part of Spain, Cataluña and Andalucia. One sounds Russian or Serbian, I guess. I think one is British or Australian.

Again, as you have read, the graphics are beautiful and it is puzzle intense, but to me that is a good thing. Again, I have nothing negative to say about this game. At the discounted price plus tax, it will be added to my collection. As stated by others, try it yourself. I can understand that this game is not for everyone. With all the rain we have had this summer (yuck) and this being the first decent weekend weatherwise, I will probably enjoy the "sun!" (Sunny loves sun) and play this next week.

Edited on 08/03/2013 at 12:42:49 PM PST

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Aug 3, 13 3:41 PM
perhaps i'm just not in the mood for this game, i don't know.

the plot seemed very slow moving and just didn't grab my interest. our main character, eveline, seemed a little over-wrought to me. yes, i know her intended is wounded but... no reason to waste time and energy on the dramatics! and not only was the plot slow moving, so was the dialog. i kept clicking to make it go faster, but there was a definite drag between when one character stopped talking and the dialog balloon shifted to the other person. i also had to go to system cursor because the custom cursor was lagging.

i did like the upper left hand corner of the map, where there is a game progress meter... at one point when i checked it (about halfway through the demo, i think?) i was at 4% completed. nice touch.

don't know if the map is a jump map because i never use them, so didn't try.
when i tried the hint system, it not only showed me the direction to go, but also showed me until i got to the scene i needed to be in, then proceeded to highlight the item in my inventory and the place in the scene to use it. if you're going to do that, why not just put up a placard like elephant does with written directions where to go and what to do when you get there and be done with it already? a hint should be a *hint*, not taking me by the hand, leading me where i need to go and then showing me what to do. and that's on the harder level of play... i can barely imagine what the hint would do on the easier mode...

i loved the bright colors, but the graphics, for me, were just a little too cartoony. i know that the dev is creating an alternate world, but i've seen it done SO much better in other games.

didn't much care for the baby dragon.
i'm WAY beyond over the cutesy pet phase. it was OK at first with elf in elephant's games, but then everybody else jumped on the bandwagon and added more extraneous stuff to the cutesy thing. i'm so over it, in fact, that i have been looking for older games without it. i'll sacrifice perfect graphics for an adventure game with harder puzzles.... and NO animal helpers. please, devs.... STOP already!

so, i am disappointed that i don't like this game because it is an ADVENTURE/puzzle game and not a HOG. YAY for that! these adventure/puzzle games are so few... i wish there were more!

guess i'll try it again when the SE comes out and see if i like it any better. somehow, i doubt it.

JMHO. try it yourself and see what you think.

[Post New]by spikescajunmom on Aug 3, 13 5:20 PM
BASED ON DEMO ONLY:
Not everyone will like the graphics style and fantasy storyline as evidenced by comments in reviews. It's a matter of what your personal taste is. I personally liked the graphics and the storyline. The music was pleasant and not annoying. If you like maps, it has a good map that shows where you are and where you have a task. Also, no HOS so far in demo which I played all of. Great for those who complain of too many HOS in games. I personally like a few of them, but I didn't miss them either. So it's mostly puzzles. I found them on easier side, but some were more challenging. Bad thing about puzzles is there is no reset button so if you mess up you must figure it out or Skip. Overall I enjoyed the game.

That being said, there were a few drawbacks too. First of all you didn't get the SG until you purchased the game. I didn't need it, but it should be an option. Almost every CE I've purchased has one in the demo. I found the cursor was a little lagging even when I turned off the custom cursor. Also, I thought there was a little too much talking between the characters. Maybe this doesn't continue the whole game, just at the beginning to set things up. And I agree with Janie42 that on Expert level there is still way too many tips. Maybe because there are only 2 difficulty levels. Really would like to see 3 in any game. And on Expert, Hardcore or the hardest level whatever it is called, there should be no black bar tips, hints, or sparkles of any kind any where. But that's just me.

I haven't quite decided if I'm going to purchase CE or wait for SE. BFG has a great sale this weekend and that might help me decide.

So play the Demo for yourself and see if you like it.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 3, 13 6:04 PM
Well, different. The graphics seem a bit old school and more cartoon like. Does have voice overs, but dialogue is silly and over done. Game play was good. Not a lot of instruction for play. No access to SG makes me wonder if game is very short. Dragon is cute. Puzzles are simple and nothing new here.

There was an annoying muffled sound in the background, like a muffled grunt. What is that all about? Hint fills fairly quickly and can be filled by finding an extremely small and hard to see ball of light.

There were no HOGs in this one and believe me, it needed something. Maybe it's just me, but this game moved very slowly. Voice overs were not throughout the game, just here and there. Music was okay, but other than that, there was no real sound FX, which made the game boring for me. This one just didn't grab my attention at all. Not exciting or challenging. No buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable. Off to the beach for a week, so will catch up when I get back. Thanks for the reviews.

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Aug 3, 13 8:50 PM
This was the worst excuse for a CE game that I've ever seen. I couldn't stomach anything past the demo, and couldn't even finish that. When the intro started talking about a war between races, I was hopeful for the game. The graphics were good, but the pointer was weak, and there were no HOS whatsoever. This should have been put into the adventure category, so that I never would have wasted my time. The voices and dialogue were totally annoying. It has to be bad when you know in the first 5 minutes that the game sucks. I wouldn't even get this game if I had credits to get it free.

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Aug 4, 13 6:35 AM
What a pleasant surprise.

When I began the demo, I checked out the extras (Music/Wallpaper/Concept Art/Bonus Chapter) and prepared myself for disappointment.
* No collectibles nor achievements, which I love in a CE.
* Only two levels of challenge (Regular and Expert)

When I began to play, there were so many conversations and voice overs with rather unconvincing voices. (Strange eastern european accent for the werecat and a very youthful voice for the mature father character) No lip sinc which some will find annoying

HOWEVER, when the game finally got going, it was really quite refreshing. There are:
* 70 memos to collect in your journal
* An interactive map showing location and tasks
* A fiery little helper who also acts as a hint
* Lots of new and interesting puzzles (which I skipped in the interest of getting as far as I could). Most are really quite challenging and thought provoking.
* NOT ONE HOS! Plenty of pickups but no lists or junkpiles

The storyline began to engage me as, although it is another 'rescue fiance' story, it is very different. As well as the rescue story, there is the mystery of our heroine's origins.

With the lack of achievements/collectibles, I would normally wait for the SE but, this one has caught me hook, line and sinker.

I have just finished the main game and it just goes on and on. The map does let you down occasionally as it only shows main locations and the puzzle you are looking for is inside a building, but the hint is helpful and takes you where you need to be. I stuck at all the puzzles and cracked them too! This game is challenging but doable.

Am now halfway through the bonus chapter which is the story of how Eveline came to be in the land of humans, with a fresh set of memos to find and more potions to make.

I so nearly didn't buy it but am so glad the sale tempted me to. Maybe the SE will be as good, but who knows?

Go to: