bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 4, 13 12:29 AM
A paranormal private investigator receives a frantic call from her reporter friend Helen, who pleas in a terrified voice for her to leave immediately for the coastal town of Serpent Creek. Urged by her friend's desperate request, the detective arrives at her destination only to find no trace of Helen. Strangely enough, no one from the sleepy town seems to remember seeing the blonde reporter. Weirder still, the town's streets are crawling with snakes, the citizens seem to be sleepwalking through life, and the ground shakes with violent tremors. Can the detective save her friend, reveal the corruption and hidden agendas of the town's citizens, and stop an evil plot to bring the Snake God back to our world?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 4, 13 12:48 AM
Oh, super... !! TWO great games in a row. Unheard of.

And what a nice surprise to see this game is from the same developers that gave us "Nightmares from the Deep" (with a little help from someone else).

The graphics are very well done, and the game grabbed me immediately. Loved the actions right from the start !!

There are 3 Difficulty modes: Casual, Advanced, and Expert.
I started out with Casual, but too much bling bling. So I changed over to Advanced, which still gives me everything I get from Casual, except that the Hint and Skip buttons refill slowly. Oh well... can't have everything.

The HOS are also nicely done. Great graphics, and the objects are big enough not to have to strain the eyes. I also liked some of the interaction.

There is a Map, which can also be used to jump.

--- --- ---

BEWARE ye who suffer from Ophidiophobia !! *rings the hand bell to make aware of snakes* Ye will be encountering lots. Even the hotel is named after a certain type.

--- --- ---

Will get this game immediately. Well... tomorrow, when we get an extra punch.

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Aug 4, 13 1:13 AM
Hey Valdy, thanks! I can always count on you to put up excellent reviews--er--comments. I'm off to download on your recommendation. Have a cuppa on me:

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Aug 4, 13 1:40 AM
THx valdy for the info, I played the demo and bought the game, I like everything about the game graphics was clear and sounds was ok..great job DEV's keep up the good work.. Thx BF for all the great games you give us lately...

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Aug 4, 13 1:41 AM
played it a month ago from ....elsewhere!good,very good game!i played from beginning straight forward without any break!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 4, 13 1:48 AM
What a great game! Love it.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Aug 4, 13 2:02 AM
Good morning everyone Here we are, Serpent Creek population Freakaloupes ! Very cool game we are offered today by the same awesome developer of last weeks Nightmares Of The Deep. This dev knows how to deliver a se that's just as good as a ce nearly every single time and this one is no exception. Okay now why isn't this savvy detective picking up on Mayor McSerpent, I mean this man is just oozing freakloupe and he is shadier than shady has a right to be and she still hasn't picked up on it yet I pegged him from the get go I mean the man just screams serpent !

I was able to beta test this game and really enjoyed it so yes I have already bought it freakaloupes and all ! The graphics are really good the hos are very cool especially the ones in detective mode love that one very cool touch and something different at least for me. Everything is easy to find and they are interactive. There is a map you can travel by and voice overs which are done very good.

The story is good your friend has run up on some trouble and needs your help so your off to help her only to find out when you get there she isn't anywhere to be found and the town and people are just off but your determined to find out what is going on and so your journey into freakaloupe land begins. The game flows like water no sticky cursor no lagging between scenes everything just falls into place like it should.

Give the demo a try it's worth it. Thank you dev's for another top notch game and thank you Big Fish for giving yet another excuse to skip out on anything I had planned today. Have fun everybody !

Edited on 08/04/2013 at 3:26:17 AM PST

grumbler
Marlin
Marlin
9,065 Posts

[Post New]by grumbler on Aug 4, 13 3:40 AM
Was enjoying the game when it came to an abrupt end leaving 12 minutes left to play. May have to try deleting and reinstalling seems a shame if it isn't going to work
properly. Has anyone else had any problems

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 4, 13 3:53 AM
grumbler, I answered your post in the Tech.issues thread. If simply your trial time was over (sample version!), then re-installing won't help.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 4, 13 5:46 AM
This is what SE Games should be. Great story line, good graphics and sound. Finally had a good choice for a free coupon.

SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by SMQMC on Aug 4, 13 5:48 AM
Hi Valdy...........I don't usually post, but wanted to tell you I'm glad you started this new thread where you don't have to "review" the game, but have the freedom to do so if you want and make other "comments" if that's what you want to do. Splitting up the Reviews and Comments make you fearful that the "powers-that-be" are going to dump your message if you say the wrong thing! This way, you can get all the info you need from both sources in one place, in order to make your decisions. Thanks for having a mind of your own. Have a good Sunday. I'm off to church now but will be back later to play. God bless!

Edited on 08/04/2013 at 5:49:49 AM PST

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Aug 4, 13 5:54 AM
Good! I was waiting for this game, since I saw it on another site. But following wise Valdy's advice, will wait until tomorrow for two punches. And it's not a CE! No problem with snakes, as long as they are drawn and painted.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 4, 13 7:07 AM
SMQMC wrote:<snipped>Hi Valdy...........I don't usually post, but wanted to tell you I'm glad you started this new thread where you don't have to "review" the game, but have the freedom to do so if you want and make other "comments" if that's what you want to do.<snipped>

Thank you, SMQMC.

I decided to use Flounder's thread for my comments rather than do a review in the Reviews thread, because after that is done you can't really talk to anyone in there.

And I always felt sorry for Flounder's thread. It was such a lonely thread. Hardly anyone, if anyone at all, ever posted in here. And it's one of the very first threads in the games forums, so rather than making a new thread, I decided to post my comments in here from now on.

--- --- ---

Euskalduna... I don't have problems with snakes either. But spiders... no matter how tiny they are, I get hysterical when I see them.
But I don't usually mind them in games, as long they are kept to a small size, that is.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 4, 13 8:14 AM
Not having ophidiophobia (love that word) nor arachnophobia (however I don't want them in my house) I should do ok with this game. LOL. This game grabs you from the beginning. We don't get many good games that are not SE's of CE's these days so this was nice to get this morning. So much for the work I had planned to get done today

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Aug 4, 13 8:57 AM
Yup, definitely worth a coupon code! Finally a SE worth every penny with over 5 hours of play. I played from start to finish without a break and got no housework done. Excellent!

Edited on 08/04/2013 at 1:40:22 PM PST

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Aug 4, 13 3:06 PM
What a great game,just finished just couldn't stop playing.Love the developers of this game.They make such good game.Hope there's a sequel to this in the very near future.A long game and it's a Se great surprise for today.Thanks BF

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Aug 4, 13 4:51 PM
Good to know the game is over 5 hours long - thanks for reporting that, catzzz666. I finished the hour demo and it really did turn my crank. Apart from the strange and stilted English (which I should just get used to since it's in most games) everything is just peachy. Love the retro look - lots of wonderful things happened in 1953!

The snakes didn't faze me a bit, not a big worry of mine here in the frozen "north". Quarter-pound mosquitoes now, that would be a pain, but not snakes. The sheriff, on the other hand (that's a joke, folks) gave me the howling fantods, and the mayor just made my skin crawl. Thanks to JustTheFacts for pointing out the mayor's sybillant speech - I am hearing impaired and don't hear little details like that.

So far the puzzles were fairly easy so hopefully they become more challenging as the game goes on. I'll buy tomorrow during the Monday double down, and use one of my free credits.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Aug 4, 13 6:27 PM
Ehhhhh... How many snakes are there? Is it really "crawling with snakes"? And how realistic are they? I love spiders, but snakes totally creep me out. Not sure if I should even try the demo.

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Aug 4, 13 8:38 PM
Phathat, there really isn't that many, just go for it, you won't be disapointed, its a great game!

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Aug 4, 13 9:15 PM
catzzz666 wrote:Phathat, there really isn't that many, just go for it, you won't be disapointed, its a great game!

Agreed! The snakes didn't seem realistic to me at all. They're quite cartoonish.

Go to: