bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Post any 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 4, 13 12:37 AM
If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen
Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the Forums, or other tech savvy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team.

The Forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly.

If there is a problem with the game, our Support Team can also gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

*Please reserve this thread for tech issues only. If you are seeking game play assistance (i.e. hints and tips), the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the game's Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion.'

Edited on 08/04/2013 at 12:38:09 AM PST

grumbler
Marlin
Marlin
9,065 Posts

Re:Post any 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek technical issues here only

[Post New]by grumbler on Aug 4, 13 3:34 AM
My trial finished saying that I had 12 minutes left to play. I really enjoyed the time I played and was going to buy it but am afraid there may be a problem. Please let me know.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 4, 13 3:50 AM
grumbler, the DL page says "sample version", so it might well be that you just reached the end of the demo (the GM can't differentiate between sample and 1 hour). I didn't play to the end of the demo, so can't say whether it was "abrupt".
I'd think if you purchase the game and it really stops then again, BFG's CS would refund you, btw.

grumbler
Marlin
Marlin
9,065 Posts

[Post New]by grumbler on Aug 4, 13 4:00 AM
Thanks _DD_
It did play like a beta test so hopefully it will be okay without me reinstalling. As to BFG refunding if there is a problem, you are correct, they have always refunded. I will therefore purchase it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 4, 13 4:33 AM
I just like to add that a "Sample version" plays as long as the sample is long. Some gamers can finish them in half an hour, some gamers take longer. It is not like a "Demo". With a demo, you usually download the whole game, and then you can play the game for up to 60 minutes. That's the demo.

The "Sample" version is only a fraction of the game. When you have played to the end, that's it. If you happen to finish the sample before your 60 minutes are up, it will tell you on the GM how many minutes you have left. That is not a bug or a glitch, it's the way it works.

After you install the "full" version. you will be able to continue the game where the sample version stopped.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Aug 4, 13 4:44 AM
Free sample version
(128.03 MB )
Learn More
Sample versions play to a point in the game however long it takes, which is why time is not specified.

Edited on 08/04/2013 at 4:44:35 AM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 4, 13 5:17 AM
Problem is just, that most ppl don't look whether it says trial or sample, and/or don't remember it, when the GM comes up with its "xx minutes left".

Mr_Russ wrote:
Free sample version
(128.03 MB )
Learn More
Sample versions play to a point in the game however long it takes, which is why time is not specified.

re. "however long it takes": I believe, you can't play a sample longer than the 60 minutes either.

grumbler, when you say: "It did play like a beta test" -- I didn't mean to say that with the word "demo". I'd still call any trial/sample version a demo, but I hope it's better understandable with what Valdy and Mr Russ explained. Hope your game will work!

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Aug 4, 13 4:37 PM
I frequently ran into the "40 minute hour" when I had a PC but on my Mac I ALWAYS get a full hour demo. I do think however that some games have only a brief demo, for example a chapter, which might take 40 minutes or so to complete, and then you're out the door until you pay for the full game. That's just my opinion though!

virago620
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Post any 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek technical issues here only

[Post New]by virago620 on Aug 4, 13 5:09 PM
The custom cursor won't turn off. I know this is a minor thing, but I would love to NOT use it, and use the system hardware. They distract me or something. I just don't like 'em.

Any chance of an update?

Marianne

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Aug 5, 13 3:33 AM
Heya virago620,

I had a look at the cursor option and it seems that unticking the custom cursor does indeed use a lighter version of the cursor that is easier on your system. However, it looks like the developer did cover the system cursor so it looks and feels almost like the customer cursor, just with a bit of a smaller size.

As it looks like this was intended unfortunately I doubt that there will be an update available in the future to solve this .

I hope this helps!

bfgBiwa

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 5, 13 8:53 AM
Sprattie wrote:I frequently ran into the "40 minute hour" when I had a PC but on my Mac I ALWAYS get a full hour demo.

Interesting. This game also says for the Mac version "Free 1 hour trial". Didn't notice that before, but then, I usually don't look at the Mac version.

Sprattie wrote:I do think however that some games have only a brief demo, for example a chapter, which might take 40 minutes or so to complete, and then you're out the door until you pay for the full game.

For PC games you can distinguish sample and trial version, when you look under the "Play now"-button (what Mr Russ quoted above). Whether it's a chapter or some other part, and how long one needs then varies a lot, between games (developers) and gamers.
I for one can count on 3 fingers approximately, how often I finished a sample version before the hour was up (hence my remark above that I believe the 1 hour is always the limit for demos, be they called sample or trial version (not necessarily for beta versions!)). Others may need much less time; I've seen postings about 30 minutes and less for a sample (in other game forums).

Edited on 08/05/2013 at 8:55:18 AM PST

[Post New]by pdetroit on Nov 30, 13 8:02 AM
Having a problem opening the briefcase in the Crypt, I have the code but when I put my cursor over the numbers it doesn't do anything. Running windows 8.

[Post New]by jasnewby on Apr 1, 14 3:01 PM
Hi everybody, i bought this game today and ive got to the point where the mayor is about to kill me and his arm is flashing but i cant do anything. Ive only got a pair of pliers and this terminator thing and something else and none of its working? Can someone help?

Thanks

Go to: