bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 4, 13 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgFounder

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 4, 13 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgFounder

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Aug 4, 13 1:53 AM
From the makers of Nightmares of the Deep comes this gem. This game was awesome, absolutely awesome. I bought this game from the devs and I don't regret it in the least. I enjoyed this game from the beginning to the end.

Story: This investigator gets a call from her friend Helen who is a news reporter saying something weird is going on in the town of Serpent Creek and Helen needs her friend's help to get her out of dodge. As she arrives at the hotel, some alien looking dude hits her car and naturally wonders what that heck that was. Then the manager of the hotel is also acting strangely. After the investigator checks in she goes to her room and that same alien dude leaves her a note, "Don't drink the Mamba". The hotel manager comes into her room and asks what went on and gives the investigator a gate key and kicks her out of her room. She goes looking around and sees everyone is a zombie like state and the story continues...

Graphics: Awesome! This team does have a top notch art team.

Music: Beautifully done. I enjoyed the music. Fit the game just right and in fact I let the credits roll a little bit just to listen to it.

Mini Games: Not too hard or easy just right.

Hint System: Awesome. I didn't use it in the H0GS, but when I need it on the outside it was great. You don't need a walkthrough with this game.

Map: Jump map. This was very useful especially later on in the game.

Kudos again to this team for a job superbly done!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Aug 4, 13 1:59 AM
The same excellent development team that gave us "Nightmares From the Deep" brings us this outstanding game that serves up a creepy, fun, outrageous tale of a town with "snake" trouble.

The game is not full of extras, but it is loaded with a great story, gorgeous graphics, interactive HOS that are beautifully done, puzzles that are fun, an interactive jumping map, and good voiceovers. (Lissssssten carefully to the mayor.) (And, speaking of the mayor, I saw that he drives a 1953 Buick in a story set in 1953 ---- how often is that kind of attention to detail seen?)

There is a "detective mode" that is used to perpetuate the story ---- a nice touch.

This game is representative of what there should be more of ---- games that are fun to play, well crafted ---- and without all the pretension and pomposity of so many of the CEs seen today by so many devs. Throw in some useless concept art, screensavers, music, puzzle replays, meaningless achievements, sickeningly cute little oh-so-precious animals, blah, blah, blah, and this game could have demanded CE money, too. But, instead, this dev obviously doesn't believe that every game they make is an automatic CE. It's simplicity is apparent, as is its huge fun factor.

Don't miss this one ---- highly recommended!!!!

Edited on 08/04/2013 at 2:07:45 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Aug 4, 13 2:02 AM
Looks like the devs of Nightmares from the Deep, and Enigmatis, have produced another SE only game to fill some time between more exceptional CEs.
Like Abyss and Dark Arcana, this is a well constructed game. It is wide screen, has 3 levels of difficulty (the hardest gives no visual clues on the fast travel map, or during Detective Mode).
Detective mode is an added game mechanic during which you search for clues. More interesting if played in hardest mode -- clues are not highlighted as you search for them, so you must use some deductive reasoning, or just click everywhere. Following the search, there is a cut scene narrated retrospective of the clues, and you are tasked with proving the theory correct.
Interactive HOs
Artwork -- not the usual detailed, stunning graphics -- rather more like comic book art, but no matter if the rest appeals to you.
appropriate Music

The story -- Your friend, magazine reporter Helen, who has gone to Serpent Creek to cover the Snake Festival, calls asking you to come immediately. You arrive at night, rain will begin soon. The story, set in the 1950's, is creepy, Serpent Creek is creepy, the people are beyond creepy. You find that out within the first 10 minutes, but I don't want to ruin it for you with details. All I will say is, for yet another sea side sci fi based story, this one is pretty hard core on the reality side.

As for the game play -- yes, pretty heavy on the HOs. Tasks were not difficult to follow, and the couple puzzles I saw so far on the easy side. (At least one was a pared down version of one in Nightmares of the Deep 2).

Yet another game worthy of a PCC, or maybe even the sale. And if it is as good and as long as the other SEs mentioned above, well worth the full SE price.

Edited on 08/04/2013 at 2:15:25 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 4, 13 2:15 AM
Original & Fun HO Game

BASED ON DEMO

Note: Yes, there are snakes, medium level scary

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This is a surprisingly fun HO game. The opening minutes are spent getting the story of how we come to be in this town. It is presented to us in almost-cartoon graphics and a top quality voiceover. We do need a bit of background to get what comes later.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are a little fuzzy on my large monitor but nowhere near enough to create a problem. They are in drawn style, with a little airbrushing perhaps? I found them pleasant. The colours are good, and there are varied lighting styles.

Music was completely forgettable, but the voiceovers were excellent, especially the ssseriousssly sssibilant Missster Mayor.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
We are an investigator of the paranormal kind, and we rush to the aid of a journalist friend who rings, panicked, from the town of Serpent Creek.

Our first encounter with the locals is confusing. We see a strange beast standing over the body of a man, and go to his rescue. Monster is scared off, victim gets the aid he needs, and then brushes the whole incident off as nothing. Creepy, this guy is not quite right, and he denies having ever seen our friend. As we meet other townsfolk, we get the same reaction. Only the mayor will talk to us, and he’s weird too. He insists we locate the sheriff as quickly as possible. All this, and we have earth tremors too!

MAKING PROGRESS
It is a HO adventure, with lots of them, and I only remember a single puzzle, which was really well done. The HOs are mostly an interactive list, but this game introduces another entirely new HO scene. As a person with parapsychological powers, we can deduce events from the evidence at crime scenes.

We start with a list of ‘hidden’ objects that have been blotted out, and we must search the area for items that respond to our power, and clicking on them will uncover the word in the list. Once all items have been located, we receive, item by item, a vision, the story behind the scene.

Hint is directional and there is an interactive map that shows you “groups” of scenes, to which you can travel. For example, the hotel is 3 scenes, but is represented by only one icon on the map.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I have only one real concern about this game, I suspect it might be quite short. I finished the demo in 35 minutes and the file size is tiny.

Definite buy!

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Aug 4, 13 2:46 AM
What cbtx said. None of the nonsense cute animal helper, pointless achievements and collectable padding, just a very nice game. Bought.

ToadyIAm
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by ToadyIAm on Aug 4, 13 3:08 AM
Extremely SIMPLISTIC -- playing your very first game? Then, this one is for you. Mindless game. Been playing games for 18 years -- This is certainly not my way of using strategy. Only posted once in all these years of playing, but just had to comment on this one.

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on Aug 4, 13 5:01 AM
cbtx wrote:The same excellent development team that gave us "Nightmares From the Deep" brings us this outstanding game that serves up a creepy, fun, outrageous tale of a town with "snake" trouble.

The game is not full of extras, but it is loaded with a great story, gorgeous graphics, interactive HOS that are beautifully done, puzzles that are fun, an interactive jumping map, and good voiceovers. (Lissssssten carefully to the mayor.) (And, speaking of the mayor, I saw that he drives a 1953 Buick in a story set in 1953 ---- how often is that kind of attention to detail seen?)

There is a "detective mode" that is used to perpetuate the story ---- a nice touch.

This game is representative of what there should be more of ---- games that are fun to play, well crafted ---- and without all the pretension and pomposity of so many of the CEs seen today by so many devs. Throw in some useless concept art, screensavers, music, puzzle replays, meaningless achievements, sickeningly cute little oh-so-precious animals, blah, blah, blah, and this game could have demanded CE money, too. But, instead, this dev obviously doesn't believe that every game they make is an automatic CE. It's simplicity is apparent, as is its huge fun factor.

Don't miss this one ---- highly recommended!!!!

At last got a great SE game I can use one of my long list of Coupon Codes before I lose them. I really enjoyed this game. Something different and a breath of fresh air.
I don't know anything about Buick cars but being British and from the 'north' I liked the northern accent of the undercover guy (made me feel at home).
Don't know if I'm fast or slow but it took me a leisurly 4-5 hours on a Sunday morning.

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Aug 4, 13 6:40 AM
Another old style game has slithered out of the Big Fish coffers and it is surprisingly engaging.

You arrrive in Serpents Creek to find your friend Helen who has asked for your help and immediately encounter a strange creature attacking the Hotel Manager, Mr Black. The mystery begins to build and you are drawn into the story.

You won't find:
* amazing graphics
* superb cut scenes or VOs
* highly interactive HOSs

You will find:
* retro style
* 3 levels of challenge (Casual, Advanced and Expert) though casual is very easy with a lot of sparkles even in the HOSs
* very straightforward and slightly interactive HOSs which are not too cluttered
* interesting and quite challenging puzzles
* an interactive map showing your location and available actions
*a useful journal with objectives, clues and character outlines

You also switch into 'Detective Mode' (once during demo) where you have to find 9 clues to work out how the crime was committed.

Characters are not terribly convincing, but are almost so corny that you like them for that.

Some nice humour.

There are not too many snakes (yet) though many references to them.

Demo stops short (45 mins for me and I took my time taking notes).

It is definitely worth a try and, if you do not take it too seriously, worth recommending for a sale or Catch of the Week!

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Aug 4, 13 10:20 AM
I think I tested this game awhile back. Played the demo. Took 25 minutes to play. Will probably buy but will wait for Monday when it is double punch.

[Post New]by shootingshark on Aug 4, 13 10:28 AM
Have only played the demo, but know I will be buying. I was intrigued from the opening background scenario with the comic book style of graphics and the old-time mystery story. Both seemed appropriate for a story that takes place in 1953. And though it takes place at night, there is nothing drab about the color palette.

I agree that the game would be a wonderful introduction for a first time player, but this seasoned player still enjoyed the straightforward game play. I am not a great fan of the morphing objects or extra hidden items to find in every scene that most of the games incorporate now. This game does not have those, just a nice mystery to solve.

Though I usually play my games in casual mode, as I don't like to be overly challenged (i.e., frustrated), I'm not sure I would recommend it with this game. I found casual mode to be a little too easy, especially in the "detective mode" when you are looking for items without a list that pertain to a crime. The sparkles that turn on with each item clicked on when in "detective mode" is a bit much. According to the instructions, the sparkles will also be seen in the advance mode too.

I believe the graphic style really sells this game. It is extremely well done and helps make a rather sinister storyline, not so disturbing. I am anxious to see how the rest of the game plays out, as the demo was rather short.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Aug 4, 13 3:20 PM
This game is kind of easy, but I like it. It reminds me of a slightly scarier (and murder-ier) episode of Scooby Doo. You can totally tell what's going on with the story, but it's still fun to play.

- The graphics are a little cartoony, especially the character artwork. It's different, but in a good way.
- Inventory puzzles are pretty easy, but not too bad.
- Regular puzzles are of the usual kind, for the most part.
- H0 scenes are surprisingly easy, and not very junkpiley.
- There are no "extras," but that's OK since it's an SE game.

Detective mode is fun. You find objects around a scene that are clues to what happened in said scene. Once you find everything, the main character will recap what happened. In hard mode, you don't get any hints! I like that. I didn't see any sparkles or anything when I played in hard mode.

This game isn't the greatest by any means, but it's still fun. It's not terribly challenging, but I like the vibe of the game and that it reminds me of Scooby Doo. It's a little scary/spooky (not terribly), and occasionally there are some funny bits.

Edited to add: Toward the end the game does get a bit more gruesome and scary, but still nothing over the top. Also, there are some curse words, if those bother you, but again, it's nothing thatbad.

Edited on 08/05/2013 at 4:36:09 PM PST

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by joyzebra on Aug 4, 13 4:07 PM
I have dozens of games and let me say, this one was really good. So adventurous, and built in help was great. Please buy it you won't be sorry!

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Aug 4, 13 9:46 PM
Wow! The demo was fun, once I switched over to the middle difficulty mode so it wasn't so dog-gone helpful.

It's got great atmosphere thanks to the cartoon-ish graphics and the voiceovers. I felt like I was enjoying a campy old murder mystery where there were unexpected little bits of humor in otherwise sinister spots.

Oh and yeah, the hint button is helpful outside of the Hidden Object scenes.

I'll be picking this up tomorrow.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 5, 13 6:10 AM
Another great SE, why its not a CE? Ahu,....disappointed. But fun puzzles, great graphics, easy to follow thru game play, easy mini puzzles, and great storyline, appropriate voice over, some delay when rendering scenes, but overall acceptable

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Aug 5, 13 1:35 PM
well this might have been an okay game, but the fact that there are soooo many cut-scenes and you can't skip right away, drives me crazy so I won't be buying it.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Aug 5, 13 5:57 PM
Fantastic mystery game. Nice mix of HO Scenes and Mini Games.

An excellent HINT setup.....a walkthrough is really not needed.

About time there was an excellent SE game.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game; maybe there will be a sequel.

Edited on 08/05/2013 at 6:00:02 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 5, 13 6:09 PM
Boy, I almost missed this one. I usually don't check BF except on Thursday and Saturday because I am only interested in adventure and HOG games. This is a great game and I will use one of my coupons to purchase it. Surprisingly for an SE, it is a great game. Who's afraid of a few rattlers? Not me. In Texas if you ride a bicycle or motorcycle into the desert or almost anywhere in the country, you are going to see them crossing the road. If you leave them alone, you will have no problem. Just don't put your hands into rocky crevices or anywhere you can't see, because that might be a bad idea. However, they are gentlemen and always let you know you are invading their space. Everyone has commented on the game so far, so I have really nothing new to add except that I too, like this game! Now go off an don't have a hissy fit about our fine serpentine brothers.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Aug 6, 13 12:51 AM
Story, artwork, characters... all very campy. Kind of refreshing and enjoyable.

It was too easy in casual mode with little spirals instead of sparkles everywhere, also in the HOS showing the location of objects even without a hint. I switched to medium difficulty and am still finding it fairly easy.

I finished the demo in 40 minutes. It wouldn't have taken me that long except that I got up a few times to let the dog out, take a bathroom break, get a snack, let the dog in, etc. I have to wonder if it's going to be a short game and/or too easy all the way through.

I'll probably wait for a DOTD or COTW special to buy it.

ADDENDUM after completing the game:
shootingshark wrote: [...] I was intrigued from the opening background scenario with the comic book style of graphics and the old-time mystery story. Both seemed appropriate for a story that takes place in 1953. And though it takes place at night, there is nothing drab about the color palette.

I agree that the game would be a wonderful introduction for a first time player, but this seasoned player still enjoyed the straightforward game play. I am not a great fan of the morphing objects or extra hidden items to find in every scene that most of the games incorporate now. This game does not have those, just a nice mystery to solve.

<snip>

I believe the graphic style really sells this game. It is extremely well done and helps make a rather sinister storyline, not so disturbing.

Yep. After buying it on the half-price special, I have to say I agree with shootingshark. This was a lot of fun to play.

Edited on 08/13/2013 at 3:25:36 AM PST

Go to: