bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Stray Souls: Stolen Memories

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 7, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Stray Souls: Stolen Memories ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Stray Souls: Stolen Memories page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Stray Souls: Stolen Memories

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 7, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 7, 13 1:14 AM
If you would like to check out the reviews for the CE version of this game, just click here to do so!

bfgBaikal

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 7, 13 1:21 AM
Very Impressive Sequel To Best Seller Original

CE GAME COMPLETED

The original game in this series (Dollhouse Story) was an instant hit. I gave it my top rating when it was released 2 years ago, and would do so again today. I believe that its unique features, unusually creepy atmosphere and extremely well told story were the primary reasons for its popularity. This sequel follows this formula with at least equal effect.

The feel has been nicely continued with excellent up to date graphics of the same style as before using the same colour palette. The music is the same for the exciting bits, but varies elsewhere.

The gameplay, too, is reminiscent of the earlier game, with the figures placed in the dollhouse to find out more of the story, and getting help and advice from the voodoo doll. Many other reviewers in the CE thread have listed the game’s features, I’d just like to add a couple of observations.

Although there are very few puzzles, the ones we do have are mostly of a similar type, and are variations of puppet play, diorama and puzzle board. This is saved from becoming repetitious by each being handled in a slightly different way, but the result is that our movement through the game also has a unique character. Varied HO puzzle types are offered as well.

The story in the first game introduced our nemesis, an evil clown, and now we’re back fighting him again. This time he is after the whole town, not just our family. He is turning all his victims into wooden puppets. We find ourselves in some interesting predicaments before we reach the conclusion.

In one of the best finishes I’ve seen in any game, our final confrontation is not then the abrupt ending where we normally just stop, we stick around to tie up the loose ends. The bonus chapter (which I haven’t played yet) is not at all important to a feeling of closure.

I don’t feel that I have adequately covered the feel of playing this game, but since this is my third attempt *roll eyes*, I’m hoping you’ll get the idea.

This is an excellent game, something a bit different and outside the cookie cutter style, and in foregoing the CE, I don’t think you miss the most important attractions of the game.

I recommend this game!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Aug 7, 13 11:36 PM
BASED ON DEMO ONLY:

I almost gave up on this one after only a few minutes into the demo when the little doll announced itself as my "helper" in its tiny, little doll voice.

I think that except for a couple of the really startling and scary cut scenes, this game should be ideal for pre- and early teens. Oh, wait... I forgot. At that age they love all those bloody axe movies, so this shouldn't give them nightmares after all.

Seems to be a HOPA with mostly A and very little HO or P. Limited HO is definitely a negative for me.

I really enjoyed the artwork, which is highly detailed and appropriate to the weird game milieu. Weird indeed. Apparently whatever happens in the dollhouse gets transferred to a bizarre alternate reality. Or it might be vice versa. Or it might be two alternate realities. Or three. ???????

Other than the artwork, here's nothing here that really knocked me out of my chair, as Valdy would say. Except for the train scene. You should play the demo for the train scene alone if nothing else.

**There is as yet no walkthrough for this game available at Big Fish.**

ETA: There's a guy in a chicken suit that you have to rescue. There's probably something that can be said for a game that has a guy in a chicken suit.

Edited on 08/08/2013 at 12:18:17 AM PST

unknitter
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by unknitter on Aug 8, 13 7:25 AM
I enjoyed playing the demo. According to reviews, this game is heavier on adventure than HOS. I do like some interactive HOS in my games but this seemed to have some fun to it, so I was ready to buy. That is until I saw that there is no walkthrough at BFG. I'll wait and see but I won't be buying without a walkthrough here where I can access it easily. I'm not inclined to use other sites that may be unsafe.

dregester
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by dregester on Aug 8, 13 6:07 PM
I agree, bring us a walkthrough and I will buy the game. Without one, never know when you might get stuck.

[Post New]by inliner399 on Aug 9, 13 4:48 PM
I found this game easy and no walkthrough is necessary in my opinion.
The hints from the doll are all that is needed sometimes and the game is soon over...Shame as the graphics are good and the detail excellent. Den

[Post New]by mm3829 on Aug 10, 13 8:52 AM
Have to agree with inliner - game progressed rapidly, no difficulties..little disappointing in that regard..great graphics, good story...just too short. No walkthrough necessary!

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Aug 10, 13 4:11 PM
I don't like the game at all. But then again, I wasn't to fond of the first Stray Souls. The hint system is worthless. When you are stuck, it just keeps going to the map which reflects where you have to be.

I am trying to make the cake, and it won't work. It looks like maybe I need the shape of a person (blank spot). But I can't find anything like it. You are supposed to put the candy in first, and it won't go.

I won't be buying this game.

unknitter
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by unknitter on Aug 10, 13 7:25 PM
grandmab3248 wrote:I don't like the game at all. But then again, I wasn't to fond of the first Stray Souls. The hint system is worthless. When you are stuck, it just keeps going to the map which reflects where you have to be.

I am trying to make the cake, and it won't work. It looks like maybe I need the shape of a person (blank spot). But I can't find anything like it. You are supposed to put the candy in first, and it won't go.

This is exactly why I won't buy a game without a walkthrough. I often do things out of order and find myself stuck. That's when a walkthrough helps. I don't use it or the hints unless I absolutely have to, but when you're stuck it's better than not being able to complete the game.

trish999
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by trish999 on Aug 11, 13 8:35 PM
Just finished this game. I was able to pick it up in a CE sale. I have to say it is absolutely a wonderful game to play. The story keeps you entertained and the cute little doll comes in handy every once in a while. Even though I played the CE with bonus, it would have been just as great without it.

I really liked most of the puzzles and the HO scenes were pretty good, just one or two items a little harder to find in each scene. Didn't have to use the hint button at all, so that should tell you something. Finished the game in about 5 hours including bonus chapter.

[Post New]by rhodalumpkin on Aug 20, 13 7:45 PM
grandmab3248 wrote:I don't like the game at all. But then again, I wasn't to fond of the first Stray Souls. The hint system is worthless. When you are stuck, it just keeps going to the map which reflects where you have to be.

You have to go and get the cake/cookie cutter first. I believe (I played it a bit, three games ago) you have to get it from another room. Hope that helps.

[Post New]by rdonnapounds1 on Sep 6, 13 3:10 PM
go to walkthrough stray souls stolen memories and look for casual games and go down that is where i found the walkthrough.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Sep 10, 13 6:02 AM
Wow! One of the best adventure games I've ever played! It kept me on the edge of my seat through the whole thing and each new screen was something new and you had to work for everything you needed to complete the game!
Great graphics, great music this is definitely a 6 out of 5 for me. I recommend it highly because you won't be disappointed!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 19, 14 8:05 PM
For some reason I played this game almost to the end and then stopped. I finished it up tonight and sort of remember the storyline, but certainly going to have to play it again to refresh my memory. But in finishing the game, I found it very enjoyable. Voice overs weren't bad, very clear and colorful...HOS were easy and that made the game flow as well as the mini games.

Good transporter map, but didn't seem to need the journal all that much...surprise, surprise...I don't know why they even design those into the game. Hint and skip recharge quickly. It seems there are some comments about needing a walk-through...I certainly did not see why anyone would need a walkthrough..the game moves along very well on its own. Certainly not a reason to avoid the game. You would be missing a great gameplay if you did.

Found the little doll a bit odd, but apparently it played an important part in the story. Seems I played one of these "doll house" type of games before. Anyway, for what I played and from what I remembered this was a fun game with an interesting story...if, like me, you don't like clowns you will find this clown especially frightening.
I recommend as a 4 out of 5 game.

Edited on 02/19/2014 at 8:08:24 PM PST

Go to: