bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Nearwood Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 8, 13 12:29 AM
Can a young woman single-handedly change the fate of a magical kingdom? Set out on a voyage with Jane Lockwood into a mysterious world of danger and adventure, into a whirlwind of magic and wonder! As you encounter a host of unusual and amusing creatures and help them in their troubles, you will inch closer and closer to your final goal – finding Jane's long-lost parents, all the while freeing the great and wise Time Keepers from the grip of oblivion. Find out why time came to a standstill, and drive the ancient evil out of Nearwood once and for all! Bring back peace and quiet to the land! Save Nearwood!

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won’t find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Re:Nearwood Collector's Edition

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Aug 8, 13 12:38 AM
Wooo! I've been waiting for this. From the same team who gave us Brink of Consciousness, too! YAY!

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Aug 8, 13 12:50 AM
Interesting! Need to play more but there is one thing disturbing me: the helping guy is talking too much for the beginning. There is not too much to detect for yourself in my opinion.

Will play some more and see.

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Aug 8, 13 1:08 AM
No hidden object scenes, no buy for this cowgirl. And I hate FROGS....

annedelny
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by annedelny on Aug 8, 13 1:09 AM
rainworm wrote:Interesting! Need to play more but there is one thing disturbing me: the helping guy is talking too much for the beginning. There is not too much to detect for yourself in my opinion.

Will play some more and see.

Yes, I feel that too. Also, the interactive map is annoying - you have to wait until 'transporter' fills up before you can use it to move to another spot. It's a beautiful game though, I love the animation at the beginning, on the water.

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Aug 8, 13 2:01 AM
Beautiful game........love the colors, flowers, etc. The little guy definitely talks too much but it only bothered me at the beginning. I agree that the interactive map is bad because it has to recharge like a hint. Don't like that.

This game does go on my "To purchase later" list, though.

Happy Gaming everyone!

Joy

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Aug 8, 13 2:11 AM
Good morning everyone Holy Catfish ! So sorry but I had to get far away from Nearwood. I had high hopes from the opening the art work is simply gorgeous but sadly Nearwood is one huge cut scene with some puzzles and one fragmented scene thrown in but it gets better the so called "map" was the deal breaker for me and here's why I used the map then when I was ready to leave the area I pressed the next area of interest, okay now everybody stay with me on this one ... ahem the map said it needed to re-charge try again later really, at first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me so I tried again and once again I was told the map needed to re-charge and sure enough over to the side is this amulet looking thing charging up now that is a first for me I understand the hint button re-charging but the freaking map are you kidding me with this Mickey Mouse bull.

Why even bother to put an interactive map in a game if it's not give me a break and I don't remember anything in the tutorial telling me the map would need to re-charge after each use only the hint button,and they call this a collector's edition I think not. The best thing this game has going for it is the art work and the cute little furby guys you can collect along the way but the rest of the game is nothing but wasted time on listening and watching your friend Fey chit chat with one cut scene after another. During the demo I earned no achievements so I'm not sure if there are even any in the game by the time the demo ended I was more than ready.

I came across no hos except for the one fragmented scene the rest of the time your listening to what's his face babble on and on like the energizer bunny and jumping from one cut scene to another with a few furby's to collect and mind numbing frustrating puzzles. This is a huge no buy for me not even when the se is released nor when it becomes a DD not even if they were giving it away no thank you. I applaud the dev's for their brilliant art work because it is simply eye popping gorgeous but as far as a game goes this one is not it and it sure doesn't deserve the title collector's edition. Simply put Nearwood was Neardeath for me. Sorry for the harshness but I got to call it like I see it and this one is a joke. However these are my personal feelings about the game so please don't let my personal feelings discourage you from trying the game it really is gorgeous so give the demo a try and see for yourself. Have fun everybody !

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Aug 8, 13 2:54 AM
Ames gmac1007. What a snoozer.Two crappy CE's in two weeks. I hope they get better or I will be saving lots of money.

pidgie65
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by pidgie65 on Aug 8, 13 3:05 AM
Based on part of the demo.

This would not even be a daily deal buy for me. One cut scene after another, hardly any puzzles, yappy characters. I also found the artwork to be unimpressive (particularly with regard to the odd colours given to natural objects that made them seem more chemically contaminated than whimsical). I get the impression that this has been sitting around on a shelf and was then released when they couldn't finish a new game quick enough.

Too bad. Lately it seems like the offerings are getting far worse instead of better. I don't know whether it's BFG or the game developers that have hit a slump, but hit a slump they have.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 8, 13 3:15 AM
Hi all...

No idea how many chapters there are - won't tell you in the demo's SG.

There is widescreen.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is a Map, which shows where you are (blinking halo), and where actions are needed (red dots). You can also use the map to jump, but there is a teleport machine right next to the map (when open), which has to first recharge before you can use it again to jump. (I hope this new idea isn't catching on).

There are cuties (kind of tele tubbies in miniature form) to be found in each scene. Each time you collect 3 of them, part of a story is told. (The story sounds like a good-night story you would tell your child when they are 3 or 4).

ETA: Someone in the Reviews thread said that these cuties look like Pokemons, and I agree. Don't know why I thought of tele tubbies. Probably because they make the same sounds. LOL

The Inventory can be locked to stay open, and unlocked to disappear until needed.
The lock is at the left, hanging on the hint button, which is in form of an elf or some other creature.

There are lots of cut scenes and lots of talk from this elf or whatever he is.

--- --- ---

The graphics are really nicely done. And I was actually contemplating whether to play the game or just stare at the scene in the main menu. I loved that ride on the water.

Reading some previous comments, I am glad I am not the only one who thinks that this game is somewhat... dare I say it... a tad boring? Unlike "9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek", which grabbed me right from the beginning, and was soooo exciting, and full of suspense, this one is (just like the story of the mini tele tubbies) a lullaby.

There is nothing specifically wrong with this game. The one HOS I came across (find 10 turtles and snails) was nice, the puzzles are OK, the graphics are great, the voices are good. It just didn't throw me off my chair with excitement.

However, because I do like this game, I will get the SE.

Edited on 08/08/2013 at 5:54:28 AM PST

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Aug 8, 13 3:32 AM
As far as I can tell this one has none of the things I look for in a CE. It does have some things that I find extremely annoying, however. I have no objection to dialogue but this one goes overboard with it; as for the jump map, having to recharge it before using it is IMO a waste of time and more like a punishment for wanting to use it than a great tool to help me out. I will have to think about the SE on this one, but the CE is not a buy for me unless there is a half-price sale (no harm in hoping, right?) I did find the artwork very bright and pretty though.............

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Aug 8, 13 4:20 AM
Robilyn wrote:Ames gmac1007. What a snoozer.Two crappy CE's in two weeks. I hope they get better or I will be saving lots of money.

Hi Robilyn true and this one was just a joke and a bad one at that. Maybe the next one will be better.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 8, 13 4:33 AM
Am I the only one that like the game very much?
I bought the game and it's get better and better. I like the colors in the game. Not dark!

Yes, the map is terrible, but that is for me the only thing!

Good job, devs!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Aug 8, 13 4:41 AM
Me too!! LOVE this game. There are some different puzzles. It's so beautiful to look at. Very original characters. I have bought every one of this developer's games and have loved them all. Off to buy!!

Nynaeve70
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by Nynaeve70 on Aug 8, 13 5:05 AM
I enjoy this game. While it isn't the quality of game play of some of the others I have purchased, it is a lot more cheerful in appearance and the graphics are well-done. After playing what I have of the demo, I'm left with a smile and joy.

Off to purchase this one.

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Aug 8, 13 5:58 AM
This is a very, very pretty game, but there's so much talking (even though I didn't have sound, may have to uninstall and reinstall) that I doubt I'll get this as a CE. I may get it as a SE, using a coupon.

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Aug 8, 13 6:09 AM
I didn't looove it, but I liked it quite well. I like the beautiful scenery and the extra cut scenes in certain games don't bother me as much as they do some people. I'm interested in the story and I like the lack of HOS and the ones they have had are the kind I prefer. Maybe will wait or a sale or the SE though.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Aug 8, 13 6:32 AM
This isn't just a game, it's an experience. I lingered over one scene cos I was pretty sure when I backed out I wouldn't get back in and I just wanted to enjoy it. Stunning. Absolutely stunning. It doesn't have many hidden o scenes (which I love) and so far a couple of FROGS (which I don't love). But it doesn't matter. Thank you developers!!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Aug 8, 13 7:33 AM
I received a copy of the beta and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was beautiful, and I am looking forward to playing it.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Aug 8, 13 7:41 AM
Well, I've have to agree with the majority here so far. This game just didn't grab me at all. The constant yapping stoppage with the cut-scenes. The story was just so-so. The cute little guys were adorable but not enough to get me to purchase as a CE. I didn't even get a chance to use the map, which I should have since the constant running back and forth was driving me nuts, but knowing now that you are penalized for using it makes is a "no way Jose" on purchasing. The two FROG's that were encountered during the demo, the graphics were okay but not great. Some items were so thin, that I got lucky just clicking around and happened upon the item. I guess I'll wait and see what Saturday brings us when it comes to CE's. Today, maybe I'll actually get some work done...lol. Have a great one!

Go to: