bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 10, 13 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgFounder

Edited on 08/10/2013 at 12:42:09 AM PST

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Re:Reviews for Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 10, 13 12:42 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgFounder

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Aug 10, 13 1:16 AM

Played the whole demo, casual

- 3 modes, casual, advanced, expert

- Integrated SG which shows 9 chapters

- Voice overs

- 30 collectibles (steambugs)

- Achievements (H0 with no hints, mini games with no skip, reading dialogues, etc...)

- A lot of dialogues

- Notebook in which you find your objectives too

- Interactive map which shows areas of interest

- Shortly after playing you get Matthew, mechanical crow, a great help for out of reach objects

- H0, you interact in more than one way. Some are FROG, some are silhouettes, some are regular ones

- Mini games, not over difficult up till what I've played. Some new and rather cute.

- Hint is useful outside H0

- Skip button

- Good graphics

- Good music

Some strange earthquakes occur. You meet Pr Ink in a small village, ruled by the iron hand of a major. Ink is kidnapped, up to you to rescue him... This looks like a nice game, not over thrilled about it, but good. Will most probably wait for the SE.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Aug 10, 13 3:10 AM
Oh my, another added to my "Wish List". (Even with the sale, money is very short.) I played the demo and fell in love. The graphics are fabulous (no surprise, considering who the dev is), the music is beautiful and the voices are wonderful. The story is very interesting and well presented. It has a very good interactive map that indicates where the current tasks are. The mini-games are fun and you get to use those "little gray cells", yet not to the point of stress. (I played on the easiest of the three difficulty levels.) You get, Matthew, a cute robot-crow to help with certain tasks. There are "steam bugs" to find for an achievement and there are lots of other things to provide positive reinforcement. You get rewarded for doing HOS with no hints, reading pop-ups, talking to people, finishing a certain number of mini-games with no skipping, etc. My only concern is the length of the game. I finished the demo in 33 minutes even though I read all the pop-ups, talked to everyone I could find, skipped no dialogue or mini-games and took time to enjoy the scenery. All in all, I am looking forward to purchasing this when I can afford it.

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Aug 10, 13 3:47 AM
This is the review from my Beta Test:

Lovely graphics, clean and sharp. Fun interactions with Mathew the helpful mechanical bird, and conversational interaction with characters that carries the storyline forward.
There is a nice map which shows where you are where action is needed and will take you there.
The collectables fit in nicely and are not a distraction to the game. They appear in a number of different ways and you just snap them up. Some a tad tricky but that is part of the fun. The puzzles and object searches are not difficult but they are fun to do. There are voice overs that are appropriate to the time and place.
The game is very touch friendly, no dropsy on using the inventory, and filled my Laptop screen. There is also a lockable onscreen inventory.
This game has all the bells and whistles to give one an enjoyable time.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Aug 10, 13 4:04 AM
Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure.

Gameplay was very smooth.

Graphics good.

Puzzles - looks like there could be a good mix here and not too boring

HO scenes - first HO was a FROG (fragmented search) and then a couple of find and replace - didn't come across any find by word list in the demo time.

Map - yes, transportable and shows active areas.

Objectives - yes.

Any hidden extras i.e. morphing/collectables/achievements - There are collectibles and achievements. No morphing objects.

Voiceovers - yes, but maybe a bit too much? I have a feeling my character is going to get on my nerves especially if she keeps repeating the same thing in certain circumstances.

Inventory - locks in place.

Journal - yes.

My verdict - well worth the sale price.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 10, 13 4:05 AM
Steam Punk & International Espionage!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
It seems to me it’s been a while since we’ve had a steam punk game – and I must admit it’s no loss for me. This one is unarguably good in terms of graphics (clear and detailed, hand drawn). The intro is also well done, with excellent voiceovers, and a story that is slightly different. Plenty of cut scenes early on to get the story straight. I liked that the inn was crowded – not abandoned houses.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
You are an espionage agent, called to Germany, to the village of Hochwald by your supervisor and mentor, Dr Ink. Apparently, something is drastically wrong in this town, and is creating unnatural earthquakes in the region. Upon your arrival, Dr Ink is grabbed by a giant robot, leaving with you his mechanical assistant, Matthew. This crow can provide information by playing video, and is good for those out of reach objects.

According to the local townsfolk, the troubles all began when General Engineer returned, so your first step will be to find out what is going on in that fortress above.

MAKING PROGRESS
This is an adventure (lite) game with some fairly familiar puzzles and some quite different kinds of HO puzzles. In the very short demo (30mins), I encountered a fragmented object scene, a find-and-use (progressive) silhouette one (completed over 2 visits to the scene), and a very special puzzle board styled HO game.

The dollhouse contains a group of dolls that have jobs to complete, and you must find the items they need to complete them, one at a time, according to a silhouette you are given. Different and fun.

The hint is directional, the map very useful with available actions and jump facility, and there is also an objective list. According to the SG, there are 9 chapters plus the bonus, and the demo ended at the end of the first chapter. So the length promises to be good.

BLING!
The CE extras include the usual gallery offerings, some puzzles and HO scenes to replay and achievements and collectibles. The collectibles are intricately drawn steam bugs, of 3 different types, that appear in each of the locations. They are not hard to find, but they move, often disappearing from sight so you have to wait for them to reappear. This is a nice twist.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
The German accents are a bit amusing, but apart from that, I saw no negatives. The game is a bit of fun, and I don't hesitate to recommend it!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Aug 10, 13 4:48 AM
played it from the dev last week!the bonus level is a joke!not even 1/2 heure of game!
so,what i found a good CE regress to a honorable SE,but a well done one
fishes who can wait for SE have nothing to loose!
the game is rather on short side,with 4 hours to play the main game

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Aug 10, 13 6:26 AM
beta tested this game a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. but as usual will wait for the se

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Aug 10, 13 8:46 AM
I played (yawned through) the hour demo -- my first thought, just another exercise in entertainment -- perhaps not as good as others from this dev. Then I read the only two posted star reviews (2 stars from each). The first was written after completing the entire game and bonus in 3 hours. Somewhat intrigued at the beginning, as was I, but that ended fairly quickly. The second reviewer got bored after 15 minutes, found no challenge and deleted the demo. Pretty much how I felt, but I kept going for the sake of this review.

The game has all the familiar inclusions -- a variety of interactive HOs, a transportable map, 3 levels of difficulty, collectibles, achievements, and a helper. The presentation is widescreen with voice overs. Steampunk artwork is hand drawn, some clever animated details, but it did not "Wow!" me.

The puzzles were also familiar and easy, instructions are not hidden. Hardest mode has no sparkles and no active indicators on the map, but still retains too helpful black bar info and shows objectives. The collectibles are easy to spot -- there are no morphing objects. There are too many cut scenes interrupting what game play there is. Even during the demo there was a lot of back and forth -- as actual tasks were quite clear, it just became annoying to run around.

CE extras -- Strategy guide, 9 chapters, Bonus chapter, collectible locations. Main game is titled Evangeline Glass, Bonus chapter is titled Dr. Ice, so they would seem somewhat separate, but together make up the big picture, if you care. Other content is replay HOs and Puzzles, re-watch cut scenes -- the usual fluff.

The story is set in a snowy mountain German town. Typical alternate era steampunk world of gaslights and zeppelins and mechanical objects. In this case there are a lot of bugs. Your helper is a mechanical bird. I do not speak German, but do know some common words and phrases. There was one phrase I could not begin to translate.

You, Ms. Glass, have been summoned by your mentor, Dr. Ice, when things go wrong in Hochwald. Unexplained tremors are only the half of it. The sinister Manager has taken over the castle, commandeered the soldiers, and apparently is on a destructive course to power. You arrive, find Dr. Ice, then watch as he is abducted and taken off by a huge robot.

This story should keep one's interest longer than a few minutes. Alas, due to lack of challenge and dismal game play, it does not have a chance.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 10, 13 11:10 AM
Finished the Demo in about 45 minutes (Including potty breaks) but to be honest, if it were any other developer, I would have waited for the SE version. This developer is one of four that I buy on principle. I have never gotten a bad game from any of them. Granted, some games are better than others, but never a bad game. Try it for your self. Everybody's taste are not the same. .

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 10, 13 11:25 AM
I actually liked this game. Graphics and game play are nice. Voice overs are appropriate for the time and setting and what they say makes sense for a change. Jump map is quite helpful, since you return to areas multiple times. I like talking to the characters for more info and hints. It makes the game more realistic and interesting.

HOGs are either silhouettes or "find the part," which can get boring, but it is a nice change, and you have to put things together in order to find the next item. Games are not as easy as you think, although some are. You need to take a little time and think before you move.

The only extas I see is the collection of different bugs. They are crafty little devils and move in and behind objects, so pay attention. Not sure what happens when you get them all. Nice SG with clear pictures and instructions. Hint system is quite helpful as well and fills fairly quickly.

I finished the first chapter with 22 min to spare. There are a lot of chapters in this one, so it looks to be a fairly long game. I like this game. It is not all that challenging, but it is different and it kept my interest during the demo. I think interacting with the characters did it for me. Going to take advantage of the special today and get this one. Even though I keep saying I'm trying not to buy CE games, I keep doing it. Difference is, now I wait for a special and save a few bucks.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Addendum:

Wow, just finished the game. Talked to everyone, did everything, did not skip and finished in less than 3 hours. Very short game. This was a CE, right? Where is the bonus game? Did I miss it somewhere? It was a nice game, but not worth CE, even at the sale price. Disappointed.

Another Addendum:

Found it...looked right at it and couldn't see it. I think my brain is still on vacation. Bonus adds quite a little time to the game. Still shorter than I expected.

Edited on 08/10/2013 at 7:45:37 PM PST

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Aug 10, 13 2:27 PM
I thought it was going to be a short game...............I still had 32 min left in my demo................SO SAD....................easy to play so hoped for more................disappointed..................... even with the special, no buy........................maybe if offered daily deal $2.99 or less .............but have to admit good game........................

Edited on 08/10/2013 at 2:28:01 PM PST

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Aug 10, 13 2:51 PM
The game was all right, but surprisingly, I quit playing because I just couldn't stand all the Nazis!

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Aug 10, 13 5:59 PM
Demo only took 30 minutes also. Will wait for SE. Too short for CE

[Post New]by topazjanet on Aug 11, 13 7:23 AM
Pixielate wrote:The game was all right, but surprisingly, I quit playing because I just couldn't stand all the Nazis!

I agree !!!!

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Aug 11, 13 7:25 AM
Based on COMPLETED GAME
Entertaining BUT CE version a huge disappointment!
Bonus chapter max 45 mins ! (& that's with no skips, hints, & very leisurely playing.) It's a prequel, Dr Ink's story, all re-used locations & hos but 1. Too many hos too. Plus, various spelling/text errors.
Seems rather thrown together? Not worthwhile!

Re MAIN GAME: solid adventure, good story, gorgeous hand-drawn sceneries & good cutscenes BUT we cannot replay them--CEs should allow that IMO.

Voices mostly excellent, giving characters some real personality. Tasks & storyline are both quite fun. Puzzles are not so many though, & somewhat lacking re variety: lots of spin this & rotate that.
Re HOS: most are list-type, attractive, & pretty easy; not too many, yay! The few FRAG hos are, however, excellent.
Length s.b. @ 4 hours (on hardest, no skips/hints).

Sadly, hardest mode has all nonsense blackbar tips/hints; thus, combined with the very linear gamescript, challenge is low for experienced players. This & a poor bonus chapter make game NO good as CE. If I'd paid full price I'd give it 2 only; on sale it's ok for 3 to 3.5 . Yet, I do recommend SE version as an entertaining if easy adventure.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Aug 11, 13 7:11 PM
Funny, but a lot of players seem to like this game. I found it awful. Way too many cut scenes, awful voiceovers (had to turn those off), also had to turn off that terrible music. Slow, boring, dark and cumbersome...I could not even finish the demo, got only about 30 minutes into it and had to stop. Not for me.

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Aug 11, 13 7:34 PM
What a big disappointment this game was! Oops... I think I sounded like Yoda!

Artifex Mundi is one of my favorite developers but this game is not nearly as good as their previous CE releases. After playing the whole game, the only thing I found good enough was the artwork which was colorful and nicely done. Every other aspect of this game was obsolescent, uninteresting and boring. And I think I am entitled to say this as my opinion is based on playing the whole game, bought it and paid for it, and not on playing game's free trial or sample or whatever only for a couple of minutes.

As far as it concerns game's length yes... this game is short. Another player wrote, in this thread I think, that bonus game is a joke. It is, and not a good one actually, as it lasts 30 minutes approximately and doesn't really adds to the main game.

I understand there was a discussion in this forum regarding game's length. I agree that having a good but kind of short game is better than having a bad and long one but having a good game with a decent length, especially when it comes out as a CE, personally, I believe it's the best by far! The only case in which I can accept a CE's short length is for a game to be either great or a masterpiece. And this one is certainly not.

I recommend, to those of you who are interested in this game, to skip the CE and get this as an SE only if you want to use a game credit or a punch card coupon.

I expect much more from Artifex Mundi and I hope I'll see some of it in the future.

Edited on 10/16/2013 at 3:20:25 AM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 12, 13 12:54 AM
Great game, easy and only slightly challenging but VERY INTERESTING puzzles. So FUN. HOS is interactive, eg, you find matches, u had to find also twigs, then used matches to get lighted matches, used against twigs to start a fire etc

Easy to play through story board, beautifully 3d live like scenery. Interactive map, friendly (albeit slightly strange) mechanical bird that is your helper after u have fixed it (ROL), before that was an old guy.talking.

Completed 3 mini puzzles w/o hints or skips during the trial

BUY BUY BUY

*PS: Did u missed those bugs which are very colorful (ALL different too!) and quite easy to spot. Those are your collectibles.

Go to: