bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Echoes of the Past: The Kingdom of Despair Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 15, 13 1:20 PM
End the witch's evil reign at last! Explore the twists and turns of a mysterious world as you travel through a strange, cursed kingdom, where the characters have been robbed of their beauty and talents by a cruel sorceress. Tests your wits as you gather the missing amulets, restore the lives of the cursed characters and open the portal to return home!

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won't find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector's Edition includes:

- Bonus Chapter
- Concept Art
- Bonus Mini Games
- Strategy Guide
- Collectables

Edited on 08/15/2013 at 4:17:20 PM PST

bajacalla
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

Re:Echoes of the Past: The Kingdom of Despair Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bajacalla on Aug 15, 13 3:47 PM
wish I could play it, but unfortunately it is another one of those games that will not display correctly on my screen, in spite of all suggestions from the techs. I don't know what the common denominator is, but it's really frustrating.

tarrocket
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by tarrocket on Aug 15, 13 3:51 PM
I got a glitch in the game with the glass cutter. I had the cutter and then did a repair the machine mini game. I left that mini game before it was done since the hints weren't working right. When I got back in the mini game the cutter was gone! I didn't use it yet to get one of the blue crystals so I can't go forward with the game. I'm not going to make another profile since its happens so late in the main game.

[Post New]by kassandra327 on Aug 15, 13 3:52 PM
I really enjoyed the other ones in this series but this one was so boring I quit before the demo was over. It was not that engaging and the voice overs were horrible, maybe they were always this bad and I enjoyed the games so much I didn't notice until this game.

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Aug 15, 13 4:01 PM
I don't understand why the developer has to make the sreen so small. I don't know what it is called but I hate it. I refuse to watch a movie with that black bar across the top and bottom. For me it is a deal breaker. Hey developers some of us are sight challenged.

[Post New]by MommaIp on Aug 15, 13 4:01 PM
I agree with bajacalla. Why won't these games display right? It seems to happen more often lately! Makes me not want to purchase any more games. Any suggestions on how to fix?

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Aug 15, 13 4:21 PM
Hi everyone,

If you're experiencing problems with the game, we now have the dedicated technical issues thread available to post in here. Please feel free to post there with any technical issues you encounter and we'll be happy to look into that for you.

In the meantime, if you have problems with screen sizing, you can try adjusting your resolution using our help article here:

Screen Resolution

If that isn't helping, please feel free to let our Tech Support Team know as well for additional assistance.

Thanks,

bfgSeine

Edited on 08/15/2013 at 4:21:45 PM PST

[Post New]by tanis59 on Aug 15, 13 4:51 PM
Anyone having trouble utilizing items. Seems that you have to pick something 3 times to get it to move.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 15, 13 5:30 PM
Seems strange not to have Valdy here. Oh yea, its 1 am in the U.K. Guess she is asleep

I have to say I like this game so far. I think better than the last one.

The graphics are not grainy but clear on my computer. I don't get complete full screen but almost.

I think the hos are very well done, very interactive and in some you find 12 of this or 15 of that, which I like and so far there isn't an abundance of hos. (unless that changes later in the game).

The puzzles and/or mini games (there appears to be many) are a lot of fun and even though you do have to give some thought to some of them, they are not boring or tedious or repetitive but fun. ie the feather puzzle, the dolls at the table and even planting the saplings. (maybe I'm easy to please but I found them fun). Its not a puzzle but I had to laugh at the skeleton trying on all the wigs.

The music is awful and depressing to listen to and not well suited to the game IMO. I was enjoying myself enough to want to get the CE, but I'll wait for a sale, if there is one possibly
for Labor Day ??

Edited on 08/15/2013 at 5:50:16 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 15, 13 5:50 PM
We are back !! We are back !! We are back !!

Goodness, most of the posts here look like they belong in the "Technical Issues" thread.

--- --- ---

Hi all...

There are 3 Difficulty modes: Regular, Advanced, Expert.
In Regular mode, you get sparklies all over, and the Map indicates where immediate actions are needed.
In Advanced mode, active zones are not indicated, and the Map does not tell you where actions are needed.
In Expert mode, there are no hints and no tutorial. Mini games cannot be skipped, and the Map does not tell you where actions are needed.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is a button for "Aspect Ratio". Whether it's ticked or not, I still get some black borders on either side of my laptop monitor - about half the size of what I usually have with just a full screen game.

There are Achievements, one of them is called "Finder". You get that one if and when you have found all 15 magic potions, which you will find throughout the game.

The SG (strategy guide) only shows the first chapter in the demo version.
In the "Extras" section, you will find the SG, the Bonus Adventure, Concept art, mini-games that can be replayed later on, and the "Book of Spells", which shows a picture of one item per potion you have found. No idea what that is all for, but I am sure all will be revealed at the end, when you have found all the potions - or not.

The Inventory, which can be locked to stay open or unlocked to disappear until needed, as well as the other buttons (Hint, SG, Map, Main Menu and Diary) are at the top.
It takes a little getting used to going to the top when you need an item from the inventory. On the other hand, at least the Inventory doesn't keep popping up whenever I just want to leave a scene and go back out of it.

The Hint button is a tad annoying. Every few seconds it blinks at me, whether I am inside an iHOS (interactive hidden object scene) or in the main scene. It keeps blinking at me.

Most of the voices were not to my liking. They just didn't seem to go with the characters I encountered. Too young and screetchy, I thought.

The HOS I have come across were of the “find 10 of this and 5 of that” variety. I like those.

As always, puzzles can be skipped.

--- --- ---

I very much enjoyed the second and third "Echoes of the Past". Can't remember now whether I liked the last one - I think I did.

However, although this one has much better graphics, and the animation is great, and the story is intriguing, I am just not thrown off my chair with excitement. Also, the only extra I see in the main game is the collection of potions, which are quite visible in the scenes, and therefore not much of a challenge. Therefore, I will pass on the CE, but will get the SE when it's out.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Aug 15, 13 7:05 PM
I loved this game but am wondering how long it is as I finished the free part in just over half an hour. I am hoping it is sufficiently long enough to buy because it is a thoroughly enjoyable game.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Aug 15, 13 7:25 PM
Just finished the trial--time went so fast--as I really like the game.

1st, it's just gorgeous, I love the crisp, clear, very beautiful graphics, & especially the hos are lovely. Also, I'm really enjoying the hos, & usually I don't as I'm not a hos-fan. These have different activities in them & even we don't finish things up all at once. And they are seriously good-looking.

Moreover, puzzles in the demo were terrific so far--yay! And on hardest mode, despite the blackbar hints & tips appear, the game is giving me a nice challenge, no matter.

I find the special effects & monsters amazingly creative; in fact, to me, the game is visually stunning (& I've a good graphics card & 24" screen to really appreciate it).

Everything runs super slick, smooth, absolutely seamless transitioning, seems very good programming to me, except I cannot adjust sound properly in order that the voices are loud enough without the music absolutely blaring?

I wasn't at all bored & thought the number of steps needed for various tasks/quests & visiting different areas well planned & interesting.
I'll pick this game up in next sale, for sure, as quality does seem CE worthy, and I'd far rather collect potions than morphing objects, which I despise!
:-)

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,357 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Aug 15, 13 8:46 PM
caput wrote:I loved this game but am wondering how long it is as I finished the free part in just over half an hour. I am hoping it is sufficiently long enough to buy because it is a thoroughly enjoyable game.
I think the game is of a decent length. If the free game is one chapter, the other 4 chapters and bonus chapter each are about as long as that.

kinget
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by kinget on Aug 16, 13 12:23 PM
I like this game as well as the last one, but I'm very disappointed there are no wallpapers because I use them on my desktop and for jigsaws. The strange thing is that on other sites the game is listed with wallpapers. It'll go in my Games to Buy, but I won't be buying it anytime soon.
By the way, Severine, I love your name. I've been know to use SisterSnape as well as all manner of variations on the original.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 16, 13 1:46 PM
Hello pond pals. Another Echoes game. I have the other 4 and really liked them all. I'm on the fence about this one. The graphics and game play are very nice. Games not easy and do take some thought and time to complete (so far). HOGs are very simple, but fun...clean and clear so no eye strain. As usual, I do not care for the fact that you don't know how many chapters there are in the game, so can't judge approximate length of game either.

Voice overs make a game, but they could have been done a little better. They boy sounded very whinny and annoying. I like the locking inventory bar (can't stand for it to constantly pop up and down when I play). SG is nice and simple, but definitely in the wrong place. Too close to the hint bar and easy to hit the wrong button. Hint fills farily quickly, but has an annoying blink every few minutes or so. Didn't care for that at all.

There is a jump map, which you will constantly use, but a disappointment. Yes, it takes you where you want to go, but none of the locations are identified. A green dot does blink bright on the areas that have something to complete, but unless you have a very good memory, you are looking all over to find the room you need. Not much in the way of collectables either, or at least, not in the first chapter.

It was a nice game, but something seems to be missing...not sure what. I will probably purchase this game to add to my Echoes collection, but for now, it is going in my puddle for another day. Maybe when there is a special, but not today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find that this is exactly what you wanted today. Thanks for the reviews.

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Aug 16, 13 4:33 PM
The big question seems to be is it as good as the previous Echoes games. Maybe not or maybe I have just built them up in my memory to where the are hard to live up to. I liked this game very much. I'm not super crazy about morphing items and would rather look for metal bugs and potions I think.

MinnieK
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by MinnieK on Aug 16, 13 10:45 PM
Sept24 wrote:The big question seems to be is it as good as the previous Echoes games. Maybe not or maybe I have just built them up in my memory to where the are hard to live up to. I liked this game very much. I'm not super crazy about morphing items and would rather look for metal bugs and potions I think.

I think it is just as good as the earlier games but it is also quite different, so anyone expecting it to be like the others (particularly the earlier ones) might be disappointed. Personally I loved it, especially the new mini-games they had come up with, some of them very different from the same old offerings we usually get these days.

gmmace
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by gmmace on Sep 11, 13 2:33 AM
I guess I'm the only one to complain about this, but I found a lot of things to be too small. The Minesweeper-type puzzle with the beads was annoying because the squares to click were so small. And the text was also quite small. This game was hard on my middle-aged eyes. Otherwise I'd purchase it in a second.

Edited on 09/11/2013 at 8:49:13 PM PST

Go to: