bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Kingdom of Despair Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Aug 15, 13 4:07 PM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of Echoes of the Past: The Kingdom of Despair Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Echoes of the Past: The Kingdom of Despair Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgSeine

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

Re:Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Kingdom of Despair Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Aug 15, 13 4:07 PM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

Thank you!

bfgSeine

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Aug 15, 13 6:25 PM
Well -- the Witch is back, and she's making the Queen's life miserable, otherwise the story here, and the atmosphere, are quite different from the previous 4 installments. In particular, many scenes are bright and colorful despite the title. You will find the current crop of popular features -- widescreen, voice overs, achievements, collectibles (you must find them to open an extra bonus activity), lockable inventory, interactive HOs, 3 levels of difficulty (only the first has sparkles and active tasks indicated on the map; hardest has no hints or skips), diary, map (never opened it, so sorry, don't know if it's quick travel).

The down side -- tasks are simplified by helpful black bar info; the cursor is wonky -- extra clicks required in HOs and puzzles, and backing out of scenes arrow is very sensitive. The junk pile HO scenes, though interactive, are not that exciting -- a mix of "find all the …" and lists; there is no alternative play for HOs.. The inventory, hint, diary and SG are at the top of the screen, black bars are at the bottom -- disorienting with no reason for it in terms of the presentation.

The upside -- I got caught up in the game, the demo was over in a flash. The artwork, animations and dialogue have some high points. You meet a lot of unusual characters. The story is not near clearly defined in the first hour. The puzzles are creative and not insultingly easy. Puzzle instructions are hidden. Mini games, puzzles and tasks outweigh HOs.

I did look at the Extras. The Bonus Chapter description could suggest it holds the real end to the story. Other CE content is the usual fluff short of the collectible bonus mentioned above.

Without hesitation I suggest you do the demo. I can wait, but more than some other games, I hope a sale comes soon! Approaching 4 s for a casual game.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Aug 15, 13 7:34 PM
Just finished the trial--time went so fast--as I really like the game.

1st, it's just gorgeous, I love the crisp, clear, very beautiful graphics, & especially the hos are lovely. Also, I'm really enjoying the hos, & usually I don't as I'm not a hos-fan. These have different activities in them & some we even don't finish things up all at once. And they're seriously good-looking even if they are somewhat the "junkpile" type.

Moreover, puzzles in the demo were terrific so far--yay! A good mix & they seemed to me (a puzzle lover) worth doing. (And not all the spin this, rotate that type, either.)
On hardest mode, despite sadly the blackbar hints & tips still appear, the game is nonetheless giving me a nice challenge, no matter.

I find the special effects & monsters amazingly creative; in fact, to me, the game is visually stunning (& I've a good graphics card & 24" screen to really appreciate it).

Everything runs super slick, smooth, absolutely seamless transitioning, but I've a good machine; some others report poor cursor, yet for me no problems except I cannot adjust sound properly in order that the voices are loud enough without the music absolutely blaring?

I wasn't at all bored & thought the number of steps needed for various tasks/quests & visiting different areas well planned & interesting.
I'll pick this game up in next sale, for sure, as quality does seem CE worthy IMO, and I'd far rather collect potions than morphing objects, which I despise!

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Aug 15, 13 11:52 PM
I enjoyed the trial but will wait for the SE

[Off Topic Content Removed]

Edited on 08/16/2013 at 3:40:30 PM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Aug 16, 13 9:36 AM
i felt it was just average, not ce material at al,,

Edited on 08/16/2013 at 3:40:49 PM PST

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Aug 16, 13 11:00 AM
I played the demo of this one and enjoyed it! All the same fun as with the previous Echoes of the Past and my sample was up before I knew it. Will have to wait till my Game Club Credit comes in unless there is a sale on the horizon

Lilac13
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by Lilac13 on Aug 16, 13 11:38 AM
I have enjoyed all the previous Echoes, but this one stinks! I must agree w/ BIshky and Nilosh on main game page who also give this few stars and poor rating. The mini-games are boring and repetitive; having to do each HOS twice also boring, etc. The cursor constantly seems to hang/go slow as every time you pick up an item, it hangs on the screen before going into inventory. What's worse in some of the games, you grab something, goes in inventory, pick it back up to perform an action, goes back into inventory, and then you do it again before action is complete. What a waste of time! Even tho the dialogues of which there are many, say to "click to continue", they don't go any faster. It's not necessary to wade thru all of it for game to move on, you'll get the item anyway. Another great waste of time! Very sorry I wasted 2 credits on this game! It's not the worst game I've ever played, hence 2 stars but only barely.

catscat
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,293 Posts

[Post New]by catscat on Aug 16, 13 1:49 PM
haven't tried this one yet, downloading now

Edited on 08/16/2013 at 3:42:14 PM PST

lynne8179
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,322 Posts

[Post New]by lynne8179 on Aug 16, 13 1:54 PM
this series is so past its expiration date i didnt bother. ho hum.

Edited on 08/16/2013 at 3:42:38 PM PST

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Aug 16, 13 2:00 PM
I tried the demo, like always...have all the "Echoes" games and found this one was not up to the quality of others..IMO

Lets...

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 16, 13 2:20 PM
I have all the Echoes of the Past games and think this one is as equal as the others and like it. It has a map, hints show you what the next action to do and like the puzzles too. Give this one 4 out of 5 stars..

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Aug 16, 13 3:45 PM
I like this one a lot, the demo ran out way too fast. Still, I'm going to wait for the SE, as it seems I'll only be losing a bonus chapter and not the other bells and whistles I've come to associate with CE's, like morphing objects and extra things to find.

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Aug 16, 13 9:40 PM
Will buy the SE

Edited on 08/17/2013 at 8:53:03 AM PST

ibn1984
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ibn1984 on Aug 16, 13 9:45 PM
I have the other four games from this series, from 2009, 2010, 2011,2012. The only CE I bought was 2012. I really wanted to like this one enough as a CE, but I can't get into the inventory bar at the top of the screen, and the reading at the bottom. That's torture when you wear split bifocals. This is a well made game with all the good specs of a CE, but I really wasn't impressed with the story, it seemed a tad bit boring. I have so many game credits to use, so I'll wait for the SE. With all that being said, If a sale is on soon, I'll break down, and purchase the CE, just for the built in strategy guide.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 16, 13 11:03 PM
The Echoes series has NEVER disappointed me or even make me think it will be similar. Its kinda of similar, fants graphics, great storyline, interactive map, interactive HOS etc etc

BUT, again mini puzzles are different, setup is different, its altogether a different "similar". This is really what I took my hats off to! Developers ensure that players will like the game, The Echoes series, they make it with some similarities, so that players who have been playing will get to it faster. But they kept a box/chest full of nice surprises with each release!

Did those guys actually have a family? Eat? Sleep?

The mini puzzles, with puzzles within, eg there was one scene whereby u had to find the missing parts of the toys and put them back together. That scene was a mini puzzle, putting the toys back. Then comes the SURPRISE, u had to figure out which parts belong to which toys, which was not that difficult, but I actually was left scratching my head for like 3 secs, b4 it hit me, psst: look for missing parts, eg, hair, eyes, etc (I only play 1hr trial, u shld get there, but NOPE, u are left floundering on purpose. If stuck go to forum to check for answers, pssst....check the walkthrough thats included, trial version gets it too!)

Ok now that u have heard or overheard me whispering loudly where to get help, GO PLAY, GO BUY, GO redeem your stamps! JUST DO IT!

tangawarra
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by tangawarra on Aug 17, 13 2:46 AM
I've only played the demo so far, but I really liked it. It wasn't very difficult and quite similar to the previous games. Something for a nice relaxing afternoon.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Aug 17, 13 8:15 AM
Well, I like this one very much! And with the sale, I will get both, this one and Awakening: The Sunhook Spire CE, which came out today!! What a great week-end!!

I loved the graphics,& the ho's, which were interactive, and the puzzles which were easy enough if not a bit tiresome...trying to fit settings into a hat....but all in all, this is a really good game. Especially for a two for one sale!

When a game is good, I don't really listen to the music but know it's there, like this one, and enjoyed it a lot. Doesn't interupt the gameplay and I don't have to turn it off, which I hate doing.

I did think the cursor was a bit sloppy but after a bit, you get use to it. Since I have all of the other games in the series, for me, this is just a have to game. Try it yourself and see if you like it.

It's a buy for me for sure!

Linda1210
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Linda1210 on Aug 19, 13 12:11 PM
I never write reviews, but this game sent me here because I almost did not purchase it. It seemed to have more bad reviews than good. I am so glad I gave it a try anyway. I think it is wonderful. I do not understand why some didn't like it, but to each his own, I guess. I recommend you give it a try.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 19, 13 12:22 PM
A worthy member of the "Echos of the Past" Series.

[Off topic content Removed]

Edited on 08/20/2013 at 4:24:08 AM PST

Go to: