bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for Nightmares from the Deep: The Siren's Call

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 16, 13 2:22 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of Nightmares from the Deep: The Siren's Call? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Nightmares from the Deep: The Siren's Call page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

Edited on 08/16/2013 at 10:12:49 AM PST

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nightmares from the Deep: The Siren's Call

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 16, 13 2:23 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

Thank you!

bfgFlounder

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 16, 13 3:51 PM
Spectacular Maritime Adventure!

BASED ON CE GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The intro to this game is a blast. In very well done cut scenes, we sail across seemingly placid seas, then spy an island where all is clearly not right, watch helpless as an ancient sea monster churns the water around us, tossing our ship as if a toy and casting us... into our office in the museum! Well, at least we survived!

Our introduction to the backstory and the outlines of this one is very well handled. It is a combination of cut scenes and simple gameplay to get us up to speed before launching into the game proper. One thing I love in games is cameo appearances of other games by the developer, and this one has a lot.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics in this one are great – apparently hand drawn, full brush strokes in oil. Colours are marvellous, but a lot of the scenes are dark. The animation, particularly of the characters, is brilliant. I really like the way the lead character’s ‘fish curse’ creeps up on him almost unnoticeably as we go along.

The music, by comparison, is a disappointment, there is just nothing unique or interesting about it, and it gets repetitive very quickly. Voiceovers are very well done, and most of the time the lip sync is excellent.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
This game leads off from the end of the last one. We are a naval museum curator just returned from a battle with the sea-devil Davy Jones, making the most of the astonishing adventure. An unexpected encounter leads to a sore head, and our arrival on the unhappy shore of the island Kingsmouth. But the people of Kingsmouth are strangely alien, revealing blue veins and silver scales. Still, our mission is soon apparent: we must save the mermaid siren (and she’s not even a relative!), defeat the Mayor and lift Davy Jones’ curse.

to be cont'd...

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 16, 13 3:56 PM
Spectacular Maritime Adventure! cont'd

MAKING PROGRESS
This game seems more adventure (though easy) than HO or Puzzle game. There are a lot of tasks to perform, story to keep track of, and obstacles to surmount. The many puzzles have a bent towards the pictorial (which I really like, we are, after all, fans of the most popular picture puzzles – HOs), with ones like an animated jigsaw, find the missing items and placing them on the picture board and so forth.

This is in addition to the HO puzzles, which include interactive lists and ‘find and use’ silhouettes. These scenes are visited twice, and there is the option to play mah-jong as an alternative to the list HOs. Getting around is easy, with an interactive jump map and directional hint. The journal tracks the story and gives an objectives list.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I played the CE version of this game, and I am really happy that I bought that one, because it has many achievements and interesting collectibles. But it is not at all necessary for enjoying this game. The story holds together well, the game play is fun and varied, and the production values are top notch.

I recommend this game!

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Qismet on Aug 17, 13 3:39 PM
I did enjoy this game. Not quite as much as the 1st installment, but that one would have been very difficult to top.

I did not think the graphics were quite as good-seemed a bit fuzzy in some places.

I love ArtifexMundi games. So miss these developers feeling free to pop up in the forums. They were always so nice and were very attentive to their customers and seemed most appreciative of our patronage. Maybe that is an improvement we can hope for once the dust settles with the new forum.

I purchased this as a CE since there was a half of sale recently. I don't think many CE's are worth the extra money, but at SE price it was a treat.

Q

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Aug 18, 13 2:58 AM
Heya Fishies,

Interested to read the reviews on the CE version of this game?

Just click here!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Aug 20, 13 3:32 AM
Well, Artifex, you had some BIG shoes to fill when you made a sequel to Nightmares From The Deep: The Cursed Heart, but… I think you did it! The adventure I have just played, although shorter than The Cursed Heart, was still as captivating, tragic and fun as the first.

The story starts off with the return of our favourite curator, Ms. Black. It has been a year after her last battle, but she is in for a whole new one! The story was very exciting, and just as good. It ended conclusively and brilliantly, just like the last one. What I loved about the story was the twists it took. I was kept guessing right until the end. As with the last game, there was a backstory told by collecting 12 tokens and placing them on a chest. I loved this story. I my opinion, it was arguably the best part. Here’s a tip- save all your tokens until the end so you can hear the entire story at once. I did, and it’s much better this way. One final note, I believe that the developers improved the story by allowing some of the same characters to return. I found it much easier to relate to the story this way.

The big improvement of this game from the last one is the gameplay. There is now an interactive map, just like the reviewers requested. This map is very helpful too and saves a lot of time on backtracking. The hint is very helpful, telling you what to do and where to do it.
What I loved was the HOS. There were 3 types: The classic junkpile, silhouette objects and fragmented object scenes. All 3 were great and all had their own level of difficulty. There were quite a number of HOS in the game, meaning HOS lovers won’t be disappointed. As with the last game, there is also the option of playing Mahjong as an alternative, which was both fun and challenging. Overall, the HOS part of the gameplay was done brilliantly.
The puzzles were a mixed bag- some I liked, others I didn’t. I did make some effort to solve the puzzles, but in the end, I had to skip most of them. However, I did enjoy attempting them. Credit to Artifex for making them enjoyable, if not able to be completed.

The difficulty? Well, it shouldn’t be too hard. I found it rather easy to navigate, but I did get stuck on one puzzle in the silhouette scene right at the beginning, which almost caused me to quit the game, but all in all I found the game to be of medium difficult. Not easy, but not hard either. But whatever the difficulty, I cannot deny that I had a LOT of fun with the game!

(to be continued)

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Aug 20, 13 3:33 AM
(Review, part 2)
The graphics are brilliant- again. The artwork and character design is so great and detailed. I loved how much effort Artifex put in to this. It’s far much more than I would!
The voice-overs were pretty standard. They weren’t fascinating, but they weren’t awful either. It takes something truly special to make me happy with voice-overs, and this wasn’t it. Other than that, everything was perfect with this game.

FEATURES
- 3 modes of difficulty: Casual, Advanced, and Hard. Only differences are sparkles and hint recharge. I played Casual.
- Hint and Skip- both recharge fast on Casual. It took around 30 seconds for the hint and 45 seconds for the skip.
- Diary to keep track of events. Diary also keeps track of objectives.
- Map. The map is interactive and very helpful, one of the biggest improvements in this game.
- 12 collectible fish tokens, although they are essential to the game, so they aren’t really collectibles.

So, overall, I was extremely impressed with this game. I bought it as soon as it came out and I was not disappointed. You are in store for a wonderful adventure, and I 100% recommend this game as an SE or CE.
The game took me about 3 hours on Casual mode, although I am a fast player and use a lot of skips on puzzles. I estimate it would take the average player, who attempts and solves puzzles, 3.5-4 hours on Casual.
I know you’ll love this game, no matter what version you pick!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Aug 22, 13 2:51 AM
Starts off with so many cut scenes, you might just as well be watching a movie. Only two HOS in 40 minutes, but many puzzles -- basically one right after another. Two puzzles couldn't be skipped, but at least they weren't hard to solve. One of the HOS was the silhouette kind where each thing you find leads to the next thing.

There's an evil Mayor Murray. He's a fish man with an unhuman fish head. It irked me that his name is Murray. The mermaid/ siren is Calliope, a fitting name for a siren. But Murray for a fish? Please. I've known a couple of real-life men named Murray Fish, but neither of them had fish heads. Well, maybe one of them did look a little bit like a fish.

But at least they give you an actual fire hose to put out a fire instead of a tiny bucket, never mind that the hose shoots up the stairs by itself and then stands in midair like a cobra waiting for you to take hold of it. After the fire is out, it returns to the cobra pose. Must be an enchanted fire hose.

Speaking of putting out fires, how many games have you played that start out with a fire emergency? Of course, you have an injured buddy, a fish man with a nearly human head. He's the one who got you into this mess in the first place. You have to revive him with smelling salts, and next find some gauze to bandage his wound. I was surprised you didn't also have to find scissors and adhesive tape! After that, you come across the usual person-who-wants-you-to-bring-him-something, in this case, an blind old rummy. But forget him, because now you have to.get something out of a sewer drain, and figure out a way to open a mechanical gate lift.

YAWN.

Edited on 08/22/2013 at 2:58:31 AM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 22, 13 7:54 AM
really good game

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Jan 7, 14 11:51 AM
Loved this game! Graphics were beautiful, mini-games were great, about 3 hours length, loved the interactive hidden object scenes and the interactive scenes where you had to complete a series of tasks to get to the one object. I usually play with the sound off when I play games, but I really liked the sound on with this one. Love the mermaid/siren theme and the love story with her. The map was great because it allowed you to jump from one place to another, unlike the first one in this installment. Was pleased that the chest troll warned my character to look out for Davy Jones' revenge for meddling! That means there will be another chapter in this series and I am looking forward to that!! I give this game a 9 out of 10!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 5, 14 10:04 AM
A definate 5 out of 5 for me! Gorgeous graphics and clever annimations. HOS were so different they made the game enjoyable. Puzzles were unique and moderately easy. I only skipped a few because I was impatient to get on with the story. Hint and skip refreshed quickly. The transporter map was a gem.

The music added to the atmosphere but did not distract from the game at all. I did turn off the voice overs only because I am not of fan of them.

I thought at first I had played this game before but realized it was just another episode that continued the curaters involvement with Davy Jones before. I'll have to find it and play it again.

There is a lot of dialog, diary pages and cutscenes which you can skip through or skip entirely. I didn't read any of the diary pages and through some of the narrative because they didn't seem to really have anything to do with the games actual progress...they just enhanced the story and I'm more into the gameplay aspect of it.

Ending was nice and I just can't anything to say about it that is negative. Very nice game and worth every penny paid. I play casual level, so there were a few very small sparkles/glows now and then. Have fun with this one...it is fairly long.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on May 24, 14 9:07 AM
BASED ON THE DEMO ONLY

Well, everyone seems to have loved this game - am I the only one dissenting? Maybe it was the style of the game that turned me completely off. I did not play the first installment of Nightmares from the Deep, so maybe I wasn't as hooked (pardon the pun) as everyone else.

This game, I felt, was a little over the top. Yes, the graphics were fine, music fine, gameplay with hint and maps and all that stuff were fine. But the game itself was so overwhelming for me. Giant - and I mean giant - sea creatures that took up the whole screen was a bit much for my imagination. The special mermaid, the scaly fish creatures, the magical items you find along the way. I said the graphics were fine, as far as color and clarity were concerned, but they were comic-book graphics. In fact the whole story seemed to have been written for a comic-book series. Maybe there even was one when I was younger, but that was so long ago I cannot remember.

Not to say to anyone that your comments and accolades for this game were "misplaced." Just wanted to stop in and say this is not the type of game I like. Give me something a bit more realistic, that's all. I don't like to play a game that feels like I am at Disneyworld. I've been there more times than I can recall when my kids were little. Finally found a bench out of the main thoroughfare that was quiet and cool and you could bring food there and let the kids roam as they got older. LOL If you want to know where that secret bench of mine was, well, I'm not giving up that secret.

Alas - I'm glad you all enjoyed this game so much! And if this is your cup of tea, then this weekend's Memorial Day sale would be a good time to pick up this popular game. It's just not for me.

Have a happy and safe Memorial Day.

Go to: