bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Awakening: The Sunhook Spire Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 17, 13 12:29 AM
Long ago, a kingdom was cast into darkness. Its king and queen were cursed to a deep sleep. Their daughter, Princess Sophia, ascended the throne and brought hope to the kingdom. In her quest to awaken her parents from their slumber, Sophia learned of a powerful Enchantress who could undo the spell. Alas! On her way to the Enchantress' lair at Sunhook Spire, she was beset by treacherous mercenaries. Can the young Queen escape the mercenaries and get to Sunhook Spire safely? After a thousand years of separation, will Sophia finally meet her parents? Scale the heights of Sunhook Spire, rescue the Enchantress and uncover the tower's mysteries in this epic journey!

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won't find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector's Edition includes:

- Collectible morphing objects
- Unlockable achievements
- Strategy Guide
- Soundtrack, Concept Art & Wallpaper
- Bonus Chapter: Sophia's friends turn against her

Edited on 08/19/2013 at 1:52:54 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

Re:Awakening: The Sunhook Spire Collector's Edition

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Aug 17, 13 3:45 AM
Great sale, I already had one credit in my account so I bought another one and got two collector edition games for basically $6.99. Yippee!

Thanks Big Fish, I really appreciate all the little deals you have throughout the week.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 17, 13 3:50 AM
Hi, all...

And what a nice surprise: a "2 for the price of 1" sale for both CEs and SEs.

--- --- ---

This game has 6 chapters plus the bonus chapter called "Sophia's friends turn against her".

There are 3 Difficulty modes. You can't change them once you have clicked on one.

There are 15 Achievements. In the "Settings" is something called "Achievement Notification". When ticked, youwill be told when you have achieved something. If you rather not get distracted by it, just untick it.

From what I can see you can access the achievements and SG (strategy guide) only from the Main Menu. On the Main menu page itself, the SG is inside the "Bonus Content" tab. While you are in the game itself, you can click on the MENU button, and reach the SG from there as well.

There is widescreen (with a tiny bit of black border on either side of my laptop screen).

There is voice-over, and a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is a Question Mark at the left. When you click on it, it will show you your next task.

Like before, your fire-spitting Dragon will be with you again - he is at the left.

There are Morphing objects to be found.

Also at the left is your Diary. When the diary is open, click on the middle tab at the top to open the pages for the Morphing objects.
In each chapter you can find a certain amount of morphing objects, and this section in the diary tells you how many you can find and how many you have found so far by hovering over each circle. The ones with a picture of the place where you have found a morphing object already will be displayed.

At the right is your wise Owl, which is also your Hint button.

Next to the Owl is your Map. It shows you where you are, and you can use it to jump, but it doesn't show where actions are needed.

There is a variety of HOS (hidden object scenes). I have come across the interactive one, with a list of objects, and a brand-new one, that has you search objects by colour. Click on the mirror to change the colours...

The Inventory stays open permanently and can't be unlocked to disappear.

--- --- ---

Graphics are very nice, and gameplay seems very nice. However, I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement. A tad tame for me, I suppose. No action, no drama, no nail-biting suspense. LOL

I will have to see whether I am going to get this game this weekend with this fab sale or whether I will wait for the SE to come out.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Aug 17, 13 7:17 AM
Definitely want to buy CE of this to complete my "Awakening"
collection, and with the wonderful sale this weekend, need to
find another CE to go with it; something recent. Any suggestions?

Not sure if posting this here is allowed. If not, please tell me.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 17, 13 7:21 AM
Hi Joyce...

I have decided to wait for the SE for this game. Instead I purchased "Echoes of the Past: The Kingdom of Despair" and "Grim Tales: Bloody Mary".

If I had to choose one of those to go with the "Awakening" game, I would probably choose "Grim Tales".

Don't know if you already own either game or whether my post helped to make a decision, but I hope you will have lots of fun with whatever you decide to get.

Valdy

fifegal
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by fifegal on Aug 17, 13 7:45 AM
Valdy, thanks for the suggestions on games. I checked my account and can't believe I missed both games you mentioned. I'm downloading them now and am looking forward to trying them. What's crazy is that I own the other 4 games in both series. Must have been sleeping when these two were offered. Also, I always look forward to your comments (reviews?) on the games. Keep up the great work!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 17, 13 8:05 AM
Hi Fifegal, and thanks for the kind words. Am glad I was able to help you with the game suggestions.

Have a great weekend.

Valdy

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Aug 17, 13 8:30 AM
Generally i am not much for the fairy tale games but thought i would give the demo a try. Graphics were amazing and those cute little flowers that giggled, oh those were so enchanting and adorable. Nice the way they changed up the hos in the beginning where you click on the mirror, just a nice twist from the norm. Really like the way they did their map, didn't give much away but allowed you to jump while still deciding where to jump to and why. I also like the mysterious evolving doorways full of surprises as to what is beyond them and the magical effects in the scenes, again very enchanting. The music was very pleasant and soothing and fit well with the story. Alot of times in fairy tale games the music can be very annoying for me, but this wasn't at all. I must say i did like this one more so then the others, but i am just a dark eerie story line person and have many on my list given the awesome sale this weekend so will pass on this one.
Happy gaming and everyone enjoy the sale!

~Demo downloaded and played smoothly without any issues~

Demo download/install time: 5 minutes
Browser: Explorer 10
PC-Window7/64
AMD Radeon HD 7570
Broadband internet
USA Customer (Indiana)

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 17, 13 8:44 AM
I didn't much care for this game. Not sure why. Guess it just didn't grab me from the get go. I did like the ho scene where you changed the color by clicking on the mirror though. That was different. I did get Nearwood and Echoes of the past despair to take advantage of the sale.

Edited on 08/17/2013 at 8:51:36 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Aug 17, 13 9:04 AM
Hi Valdy,

Yes, your post did help me make a decision, well, sort of.
I was leaning towards "Grim Tales", so that will be a buy
for sure, but I realized I somehow missed demoing "Echoes
of the Past", so will have to do that today and judging from
your review, that might be my other one.

Thanks for your help both today and the many times in the
past.

Joyce

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Aug 17, 13 1:15 PM
mhatfie wrote:I didn't much care for this game. Not sure why. Guess it just didn't grab me from the get go. I did like the ho scene where you changed the color by clicking on the mirror though. That was different. I did get Nearwood and Echoes of the past despair to take advantage of the sale.

It's a very relaxing, soothing kind of game. It didn't really excite me either and I didn't understand the reasoning behind some of the puzzles, but the hint system seems to be pretty good.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 17, 13 2:28 PM
Here we go with a 5th installment of the Awakening adventures. I have 3 of the first 4, didn't care for Skyware Castle and couldn't justify getting it for my collection. This game has the same type of graphics and blah colors. Game play is nice. Music okay.

The map identifies the locations when you run the cursor over it (major plus). Does have morphing objects, and they are not that easy to spot. Like the little dragon.

This game was not all that exciting, nor was it very challenging. I was not drawn in like I was with the first 3 games, which were very good games. I did sort of like the HOGs...different with the need to change the screen color to pick up the object. But again, not exciting.

Did not care for the SG at all. Mostly because you can't access it from the game screen, you have access from the menu, then triple exit out to get back to the game...too much clicking. Went backward in time with this one. I found it easier and less time consuming to just use the hint button, which worked quite nicely. Even with the special today, I do not have the need to purchase this game. Too bad, I do like the series. I'm not even sure I will get the SE when it comes out. It is not a bad game, so I do recommend it. The devs just needed to take a little more time with it.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable and exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Aug 17, 13 5:06 PM
I have enjoyed this series and have purchased the previous games. This edition, however, just has me confused. Maybe I have had a mental lapse or even a stroke. I am just at a loss as to what to do most of the time. The puzzles can't be as hard as I found them to be. I did solve some of them but others left me clueless. I don't even understand the Map (if that is what it is?). I'd love to continue this series but I had just enough problems figuring out the Demo (even with Hints) that I think I will wait for the SE and try again. Maybe I will have a clearer mind in cooler weather.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Aug 17, 13 9:53 PM
Hi all you fishies.....with no pockets books or wallets....................BF puts us on alert do we open or keep them closed?..................Well lets see I do want bloody Mary, so I guess this one will be free...........SO WHAT DID I DO....................of course opened my big mouth and bought them.......................ONE THING I CAN SAY ABOUT THIS GAME IT IS A GOOD LENGTH......................I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO MENTION ALL THE PROBLEMS I'M HAVING WITH THIS GAME.................SOME ARE SO VAGUE THAT I WOULDN'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START, SO I WON'T......................LET EVERYONE ELSE DO THAT................OTHERWISE HAPPY GAMING ALL...................

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Aug 17, 13 9:54 PM
bribling wrote:I have enjoyed this series and have purchased the previous games. This edition, however, just has me confused. Maybe I have had a mental lapse or even a stroke. I am just at a loss as to what to do most of the time. The puzzles can't be as hard as I found them to be. I did solve some of them but others left me clueless. I don't even understand the Map (if that is what it is?). I'd love to continue this series but I had just enough problems figuring out the Demo (even with Hints) that I think I will wait for the SE and try again. Maybe I will have a clearer mind in cooler weather.
YOUR NOT ALONE

M1rAk0n
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by M1rAk0n on Aug 18, 13 6:23 PM
From the reviews and from this thread alone I find myself hesitant to purchase the game. I loved the first 3, more so then anything for the sheer fact they were easy, relaxing and genuinely enchanting and fun to play. Quite Akin to the recent Forest Legends: The Call of Love (so much missed potential with this one, but love it!)

I found the 4th to have changed that feeling, the diary seems almost lost, mini games not explained, mini games pull you're hair out annoying etc. Just not the same, I was really hoping the next would go back to it's roots of just being that enchanting and overall non frustrating game. and of course the lack of hidden object puzzles was nice(sorta sick of being smacked in the face with them at every turn).

I still might try it due to wanting a complete collection, but as I said very hesitant even with this deal going on as the game seems to just become a "money maker" game that gets pushed out.(plus having a hard time finding a game to go with if I do buy tonight).

Edited on 08/18/2013 at 6:25:19 PM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 20, 13 7:21 AM
I just finished the main game and am trying to decide if I even want to play the bonus chapter. Although it is a beautiful game, as I said under "Reviews," too many puzzles are either mind numbingly simple or incomprehensible, which makes for frustrating game play. Then to get to the end and find that it's another blasted cliffhanger and there will probably never be a resolution to the story line. I should have waited for the SE to be a DD.

Edit after playing bonus game for 15 minutes. Nope, not finishing it, and if I'm tempted in the future to buy the next chapter in the continuing saga, I hope someone takes away my credit card and my computer mouse. All that pretty wasn't even worth half price; not for all those illogical moves and incomprehensible puzzles.

Edited on 08/20/2013 at 1:40:19 PM PST

dramajunkie
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,641 Posts

[Post New]by dramajunkie on Aug 20, 13 3:20 PM
Valdy said there is a separate bonus chapter? I can't find it. Game appears to end on chapter 5 and chapter 6 is called the bonus game. Huh?

I did like the glassworks puzzle as a bonus mini-game.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Aug 27, 13 11:37 AM
Fun to read all the reactions to this game. I bought it in the 2fer sale and am just getting around to playing it. My reactions so far:

- graphics and locations were lovely and memorable, characters not so much

- lousy spellings made me laugh out loud - bottomeless (pronounce that one) and deterioarting (deterio arting - I think that's where you doodle all over your textbook)

-the Hourglass of Slow - my inlaws have taken a long drink from that glass!

- inachievable Achievements - they're all about finishing the game fast - isn't that what everyone does, pay for a game and then rush through it so they don't get their money's worth? The only one I'm going to get is the one for finishing the game.

- some puzzles were great fun after I struggled to figure out what the incredibly poor instructions meant

- many careless and stupid mistakes in sentences, grammar and labelling

- pointless puzzles like the rock, paper, scissors one that didn't have a sensible explanation because it was about fire, water and something else altogether

- a huge thank you to whoever explained the glassworks - I'd never have figured that out

Having vented all that, I can say the game (which I haven't finished yet) is enjoyable, the settings are beautiful, and some of the puzzles have been totally enjoyable. Not sorry I bought the game although I can't recommend it to anyone with reading/word perception difficulties.

***Edited to add that I completed the game - almost 2 hours to get through the bonus game - many, many puzzles, more poor explanations and instructions and much head scratching, even more pee breaks with some cheese and crackers to give me more energy, and a wrong number. Thus the 2 hours, over 8 hours total. The continuity of the story was really, really off, my owl broke down and cried a few times because I was poking him so much, and I could have slapped that stupid woodland fairy who kept saying she was giving me something and never did.

The only truly negative thing I can say about this game is that it is not completely Mac friendly, especially in the hidden object scenes, where a heavy index finger was needed to do anything. That's a huge annoyance. So many other games are completely adapted for Mac and it's a P in the A to put so many hours into a game that isn't. Once again, BF, I ask that your Mac games be completely playable on a Mac.

Edited on 09/02/2013 at 1:48:35 PM PST

sahobbs
Clownfish
Clownfish
618 Posts

[Post New]by sahobbs on Sep 23, 13 9:17 PM
I purchased the game back in August and decided to play it now for a change of pace. I've played Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove Collector's Edition with the morphing objects, in fact in the Strategy Guide has a list of where the objects are. I'm so pissed that I paid a lot of money for a game that doesn't even give you a clue as to where they are. I've reached the 4th Chapter twice (I intentionally restarted the game over) to figure out where one of the objects could be. I sat and stared at each scene to see if I could find it. During the first 3 chapters there's a pattern as to where they're at. Who ever created this game should have their brain checked to see if a few cells are missing like some of the stuff in this game.
Come on people! Don't put out a game until you played it completely yourself to see if there are any bugs.

Go to: