bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for When In Rome

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Aug 19, 13 12:42 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of When In Rome? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the When In Rome page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for When In Rome

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Aug 19, 13 12:42 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 19, 13 1:50 AM
This game is respectfully dedicated to the nice person (whose name I have ashamedly forgotten ), who told me about the lack of reviews on building games. Hope this helps

Nothing New, But Fun

BASED ON DEMO

This resource management game, like so many others, is set in the time of the Roman Empire. You are faced with rebuilding the land, exploring new territory, and setting up new trades.

There are 3 levels of difficulty, including untimed (the only one I can do!). As well as building, you also trade. It is one of those games where you must assign each individual worker to a task, and haggling with the trader is one of them. You must buy extra workers, as well as raw materials where they are scarce.

You can replay levels.

There are the usual power ups, speed, increased production, etc.

There is a shining amber hidden in each level to be found for extra points.

The landscape graphics are nicely done, the figures move well, and the sounds are good. But you can disable all sound, or just the voices, if you want.

So far, there have been earthquakes to disrupt your building schemes, and rain every day past a certain point.

As I say, nothing new here, even to one as inexperienced as I am with these sort of games, but enjoyable and challenging.

I recommend this game!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 19, 13 4:00 AM
I've played this game before, so must have tried it from the developer's site although I can't remember why I didn't buy it! It might have been a beta release as I don't recall an untimed mode before but glad to see there is one now.

As JustTheFacts says, it's nothing new but sometimes familiarity isn't a bad thing. And at least this dev has realised that chaining tasks is always the way to go! It's not overly challenging but I did play untimed to get a feel for the game; once I've completed all the levels I'll replay it in normal mode, which no doubt will be much more of a challenge!

But for now I'm happy to amble through this nice little game at my own pace, chopping logs, harvesting wheat and cabbages, making flour, bread and cabbage stew (yuk!), bartering at the market and occasionally dealing with an earthquake which destroys my buildings.

The power-ups are really helpful, especially the increased production one. And as a side task, there are hidden amber jewels to find. Nice graphics and voices just add to what is a really enjoyable little game. A definite buy for me as I love these type of games; there just aren't enough of them!

ETA: The ability to chain tasks is only available in the untimed mode, which is a bit disappointing. Then again the Royal Envoy games don't let you chain tasks either and it's never bothered me. Some of these TM games really benefit from it, others not so much.

Edited on 08/20/2013 at 1:00:43 AM PST

Suziewife
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Suziewife on Aug 19, 13 5:13 AM
Don't you just love the way the man puts his axe in the tree stump when he's finished chopping logs!

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Aug 19, 13 2:20 PM
I like this game except for the fact that you can't use the queue in the timed mode. The untimed mode is too easy and the timed mode has no rhythm because you can't queue up for the next move.

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Aug 19, 13 11:19 PM
Not quite through the demo yet, but I'm definitely enjoying this one. Reminds me of The Golden Years: Way Out West with the crop gathering, path clearing, and taking crops/products to the windmill, bakery, etc.

Nice to hear that the untimed mode lets you chain actions, just wish the timed mode did as well. That is probably my only complaint so far.

Will likely be a buy for me as it has been quite a dry spell since the last time I enjoyed a new TM enough to buy it.

boofycat
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by boofycat on Aug 20, 13 12:24 AM
Love the animations, especially the little guy on the sawmill. However, this game, while well animated, is just too simple. You can't upgrade any buildings, this is done automatically when starting a new level. It is just the same production over and over. Not the best TM around.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Aug 20, 13 5:35 PM
I like TM games and bought it with a free coupon

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 21, 13 1:31 AM
This must be the same developers for Vikings, nice game. With loads of machinery and colorful graphics

Just pleeze whats with the "I'm already on the road" and "I'll get it done". Cant they just run there with a whistle or whatever. After a while it gets into your skin really.

But cutesy characters nice storyline, will still recommend used your free stamps or just buy

nothing new here

[Post New]by jaynedoe99 on Aug 21, 13 8:45 AM
As its been stated before, there's nothing new about this strategy game. And dare I say, the game play on this one is rather tedious after a while. No thought process seemed to be given to this one on how to make it enjoyable. Same repetitious tasks just a different setting. And why do these developers have to throw in the random explosion to slow down game play? Can we be a little more creative? I'll give them props for the graphics; the look is really nice but the game itself is meh. I'd rather play royal envoy on kingdom chronicles. Wish I hadn't wasted a credit.

NileRose
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by NileRose on Aug 27, 13 9:53 PM
I don't normally review games, however I have to say I do enjoy this game very much. I only have one thing to ask. Is there some reason that no one know what apostrophes are? I mean really "weve" instead "we've". Really?

I like that they focus a lot on the game design itself, but would it be too much to ask for someone to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling? I cringe in between every level as I read the little cartoons, but I continue on to the game play.

[Post New]by ribbonblues on Aug 30, 13 7:49 PM
In purchasing this game and making it to level 13 in the easy mode without timer running out, is the way that I enjoy these time management games all the more than when the timer is used. Playing like that at first and slowly increasing experience in these type games to a higher level when ever I believe I am ready to.. But as I was about to start playing level 13 , I noticed that in most games of these type when ever you catch an animal it is swine. Being a Christian that enjoys following God, I could not help but wonder why swineflesh? It is against the health laws, now I know this is just a game but the mere thought of participating even a pretend character partaking of swineflesh is gross. ITs just what i am thinking, I know its a game but still swineflesh? (shivers in disgust) .. why cant it be lamb or goat or something clean? I know its a game. and some of you will not understand but it is a Christian health law. Not just Muslim or Jewish. And this posting may sound ridiculous to some but it is what i am thinking. Perhaps someone would take my suggestion serious and produce a fun time management game with options of no timer , timer and ultimate difficult included without the use of swineflesh offered as a food .. I just cant get away from the grossness i feel with swine flesh is offered as potential food even in a silly game.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Aug 31, 13 7:37 PM
I never heard of any Christian prohibition against pork (being Christian myself). Heck, bacon is part of my family's food pyramid..

Besides, it's just make-believe, not real-life. I happen not to like lamb or goat, so that would be gross to me - if I had to eat them for real.. But it's not, so they could make my character eat snakes and I wouldn't mind.

[Post New]by lwash408 on Sep 6, 13 11:16 PM
I like this game and I think it is fun, but the characters move too slowly, even with all the boosts I was always running out of time. I have made it to about level 5, but I always have to play each level at least 3 times. I feel a little frustrated about how well I can do with this game.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Sep 25, 13 12:09 AM
I have played nearly all and bought almost just as many of the TM/City Builder games but this one is not going to make it to my "buy" list.

There are so many, many things gone wrong with the execution of When In Rome. Gameplay is incredibly tedious. I feel like I should be getting paid for having had to play the game for about 45 minutes. Several of the levels were just baffling. Not so much that I couldn't figure out what to do, per se, but they just...something wasn't right.

Going to have to leave it up to somebody else to say exactly what else was wrong with this game, but for me the main things were the repetitiveness/lack of anything to actually DO, and the graphics.

That being said - I grew up in a religious Jewish household and as such, I was 13 before I ever found myself around pork products being cooked. I actually used to get physically nauseated whenever around them and then both times that I was pregnant, being more sensitive to stimuli, I'd literally vomit whenever exposed to the smell of "pig flesh" cooking lol. Just thought I'd mention that to go along with the apparent theme of these reviews, lol. Not impressed with this game and I think that says a lot. (not that I have some cult following just sitting around *waiting* for me to give the thumbs up or thumbs down on a game before making their own decisions...but it says a lot in that I rarely dislike a TM.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Oct 7, 13 4:55 PM
I just finished the game and enjoyed it very much. I am not young anymore and so I do enjoy it when they are not so difficult, like this game. Yes, it kept repeating etc but it was still fun and kept changing the scenery etc so it kept my interest. After years of Hidden Object games I find this type of game refreshing and not so dark and spooky, just fun! Thanks BF and developers!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 10, 13 6:10 AM
Well, maybe this gets better but so far I've found it quite boring...I enjoy other games like this but they seem to move along a bit quicker. Tried going back to play about 3 times and it doesn't get any better...time to go to the can.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Aug 12, 14 4:12 AM
NileRose wrote:I don't normally review games, however I have to say I do enjoy this game very much. I only have one thing to ask. Is there some reason that no one know what apostrophes are? I mean really "weve" instead "we've". Really?

I like that they focus a lot on the game design itself, but would it be too much to ask for someone to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling? I cringe in between every level as I read the little cartoons, but I continue on to the game play.

I know its like a year later, but I was thinking about my peeve with apostrophes. My thing is, although it may be a little off-putting when people leave them out, THE. WORST. possible. grammar mistake imaginable (IMO) is when someone sticks an apostrophe in at the ends of words simply because the last letter is S.

Since social media has really gotten huge I seeit all the time and I know this is probably wrong, but my knee-jerk reaction is just to lose respect for the person writing that. Its just SO bad. So bad. Grammatically, you just cant get worse than writing something like "I ate all of the potato chip's". OMG! Noooo!! And yet, I see it all the time on the internet.
Thank God I've never noticed that in real life. I don't think I'd be able to handle myself.

So anyway, if you are one of the people who think that a word gets an apostrophe just because it ends in S, I am here to tell you that you most definitely do not do that. Only use that for possession. Just remember that & it'll be simple. Apostrophe- Possession.

If I catch someone saying they are going to sell car's, I'm afraid I'll have to send him or her to Siberia. And I don't like sending people to Siberia.

Go to: