bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Fearful Tales: Hansel and Gretel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 24, 13 1:38 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of Fearful Tales: Hansel and Gretel Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Fearful Tales: Hansel and Gretel Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fearful Tales: Hansel and Gretel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 24, 13 1:38 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 24, 13 3:32 AM
Oh no! Cookie Monsters!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Sorry, couldn’t resist the awful pun, because there really are cookie monsters (evil gingerbread men) in this game.

Except for the one who decides to stick with us. At least, he better be on our side, because as well as providing back story, he’s our hint button.

Opening scenes are fun, giving the impression of this being a children’s tale, with fantastical graphics and a rhyming narrative. But I’m not of the opinion that it is. I played this demo through to the conclusion (in 48mins), without even thinking to take notes, I was so caught up in it.

NB: This is a HO GAME, unlike the other superb games this developer has released recently. And it is very different from their other releases.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are delightfully whimsical. A touch of the surreal, with broad brush strokes, certainly have the feel of a fable. The characters, quite amusing as well as very well drawn and animated, are likewise “unreal”.

The music got repetitive really quickly, and I think let the side down. But it is in keeping with the pseudo-children’s book motif. I also think the voice of our friendly gingerbread man (Chip) is going to wear us down eventually too.

On the other hand, the narrator’s voiceover is excellent.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Like the real Hansel & Gretel, we have an evil witch, but unlike it, the kids are stolen in town and have a mother (us) who cares enough to come save them. We do very little towards achieving that goal in the demo, but we do a series of fun and not difficult side quests.

MAKING PROGRESS
As I say, HOs followed by HOs and so on. They are interactive lists, no other variants, and each scene is visited twice. (One star demerit for lack of variety). There are puzzles as well, very good fun ones that stick close to the story. The hint button is not all that fast, seeing I played on easiest of 3 difficulty levels.

Outside HO, it gives you a picture of where you should be and allows you to travel there, if you are well away from it, and you will have to wait for a recharge. If close, it is simply directional, no cost. This is necessary because there is no map. Skip was quick. The journal holds important info and tracks your objectives.

to be cont'd

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 24, 13 3:33 AM
cont'd from above

BLING!
The usual. Gallery, SG, bonus chapter, as well as HO and puzzle replays. Movies and a “making of”. Achievements and collectible cupcakes.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I know you’re thinking: "gingerbread men and collectible cupcakes, let me barf", but in fact it isn’t all that cutesy, even with the rhyming narration. It is altogether too dark and surreal to be a convincing fairy tale – and that of course is its appeal.

I am astonished at this developer's professionalism, talent and versatility. They certainly are rising stars, and this game, even if you are not into HOs, is an extremely well done and offbeat gaming experience.

I recommend this game!

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Aug 24, 13 4:36 AM
Played for 20 minutes and just don't care for it. Sorry, not for me. I don't like these kind of " handpainted, drawn " graphics. It is a turn off for me.
Story did not capture my interest.I will have to pass, but we all have different likes and dislikes. Many of you will enjoy this however I do not

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 24, 13 5:03 AM
This game is quite different from anything I've seen recently and all the better for that. Very reminiscent of the 'Drawn' series in it's style, the graphics are quite beautiful and a joy to look at. Not so keen on the music which was very repetitive. The cursor only changed to a smaller version of the hand by clicking off the custom option; I switched it back as it was too small to see when it changed to be able to pick up an item.

The story was nothing new; kidnapped children and mother off to find them, helped by a gingerbread man who gives the background story (when he remembers it!). The characters you meet are delightfully quirky and just add to the charm of this game. I played in advanced mode; there were sparkles for the HOS but not elsewhere. The demo wasn't overrun with HOS, which were inter-active. I did enjoy all the puzzles which seemed reasonably easy to solve and instructions were clear. There are collectibles, achievements and I'm fairly certain I got a map at some point during the demo.

I really liked this game and will buy along with Nearwood, since BFG are offering a 2nd CE for £1.28 (UK). Can't say no to a bargain

Paige63
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Paige63 on Aug 24, 13 9:25 AM
There is a map by your journal and it shows where something needs to be done. It can also be used to jump to that location. The story is a familiar one, find your children. The HO scenes are not junkpiles and have a few interactive steps you need to do. I am on the fence with this one. The graphics are well done but I don.t know if it is CE worthy!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 24, 13 9:44 AM
A nice little "snickerdoodle" from the Black Forest and my favorite dev, the ever talented Pix ie. This game makes me hungry for all those great German baked goods! LOL This game even has cute little gingerbread men one of which is the protagonist of this story. You collect these little cuties all through the game. The game seems more geared to children and there are many HOS, which I personally hate. If you like games with numerous HOG scenes, you will like this game. The puzzles I have played are fairly easy. The graphics are beautiful as usual for this dev and I really love the storyline. However, to me, this game is not as good as the Final Cut series which is more geared to adults. This is a very easy game even in the "challenge" mode. Perhaps it becomes more difficult as you proceed in the game. No weinerschnitzel here! Doesn't make me want to polka the night away, or take up yodeling, but fairly decent. I will probably purchase if I can find another CE I would really, really like to play, which is going to be difficult since I really didn't like Thursday's offering.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Aug 24, 13 11:10 AM
I really enjoyed this game. My only problem is that it was way too short for a CE. Finished all in 2 1/2 hrs (and no puzzle skips)

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 24, 13 11:11 AM
It wasn't at all what I expected but fun just the same. It does remind me of the old DRAWN with the animations like they used. Story is fun with the gingerbread men who aren't at all what they seem. Something a little different and it does have hints that reload fast and easy puzzles so far. Give this 3 out of 5 stars..

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Aug 24, 13 11:17 AM
Not CE material. I just couldn't get into it. Reminds me of the Drawn games. This one just couldn't stand. Not for me.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 24, 13 11:39 AM
Morning all. Graphics are very cartoon like, but clear. Game play is nice. Very quiet game, not a lot of music or sound FX. HOGs are a bit messy and run together. Takes a lot of looking to find items. Games are very easy.

Does have a jump map and you do return to the same place over and over again, as well as the same HOGs. The voice of the cookie is extremely annoying.

There is no real direction in this game. Yes, you are looking for the bad witch and the kids, but there is no action, other than watching cookies jump around and make faces at you. Hopefully this game gets better as it goes along, but I'm not going to find out. I did not find this game challenging at all. Nor did I find that I just had to have it. It definitely is not CE material and is geared more for the beginner...a real beginner. There isn't anything else to say about this one...it just doesnt' have it. No buy for me today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Aug 24, 13 12:44 PM
I really enjoyed the demo of this game and it is added to my MUST HAVE list. This developer certainly has shown diversity in style of games and has become one of my favorites.

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Aug 24, 13 7:31 PM

I only made it 19 minutes. I wanted to like it, I love achievements and collectibles, which this game has, plus graphics that are different but the game really lost me.

The hint gingerbread man's voice is ANNOYING!!!! Like those Carfax commercials, it's a child's voice and it's grating.

I only played one HO scene and it was a junkpile reminiscent of HO games from five years ago (remember, the games that were strictly HOs). At first I thought maybe I'd like it, a bit retro but after a few minutes, I realized I hated it. Something weird that happened, I left the HO scene to go to the main screen to review the achievements. When I returned to the HO scene, the items I had already found, although still crossed out, appeared in the scene. This didn't affect my completion of the scene but it kind of bothered me.

Which leads me to the achievements. One achievement was for completing the tutorial. I was playing on the hardest setting, for which no tutorial was offered, meaning unless I started over, I couldn't possibly get all the achievements. That said, I could have played on the easiest level, finished the tutorial, then switched to the hardest setting but to me, it wasn't worth it. Other achievements were for getting 10 items in 10 seconds and I really didn't feel like finding 10 items in a junkpile and then coordinating my movements. These games are for relaxation, not stress.

I never got into Drawn so I have no comparison to that.

On the positive, there are collectibles. Some people don't care about those but I find them necessary to a game of this genre, not sure why but I require them. What I did like was the fact the cursor doesn't change when hovered over the item.

I also liked the cursor, a little different and suited the game.

You can lock the inventory. Such a little addition but I just love when I can do that.

All that to say, I didn't get far but may demo again when it comes out as a SE. I can see how people love it, it's definitely appealing to some so I highly suggest demo-ing it before making up your mind.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Aug 24, 13 7:42 PM
This is not a particularly challenging game, nor is it anything new. Since I was in the mood for something that entertained and kept my mind free of the the daily stresses, this game was a perfect fit. It won't entertain seasoned players but for a mindless distraction it was perfect. If that's what you're looking for - enjoy!

There is a jumping map with current active zones indicated - it is to the right of the SG and looks like a compass rose. There are also achievements and collectibles. If it had also included custom difficulty settings it would have all of my CE game necessities, but alas, sparkles for HOPs in Challenge Mode (Casual, Challenge and Insane).

(And...I could have done without the half-hearted attempts at rhyming.)

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Aug 24, 13 8:39 PM
Phenomenal artwork. (The usual extra-sexy bad girl. They don't wear a bra over on the dark side?)

Voices: terrific adult voices, but hated the gratingly high gingerbread helper voice. I don't know what other direction they could have gone with that, though. I mean, it's a talking cookie.

Mechanics: I ran into technical problems, not able to pick up several objects along the way. Uninstalled/reinstalled the game and also created a new profile and then it worked. I did notice that there were still times I had to fiddle around with the hand-shaped cursor to be able to click on something. Sometimes the pointed finger worked, sometimes it had to be nearer the palm of the hand, etc. Clunky.

Story: major rewrite of the Hansel & Gretel tale. It's a very leisurely game -- go find this, go ask that, with various favors to be done first. All in direct opposition to the panicky freakout of a mother whose beloved children have vanished. Dum-de-dum-dum-dum, let's gather some berries and make a pie . . . .

Play time: other users report around a 3 hour playing time, which is more in SE game territory.

It's a cute game and well made (other than the clunky cursor action), but easy enough to let go of when the demo ended.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 25, 13 3:45 AM
I couldnt help chuckling over this game, cupcakes that are almost invisible or well-blended into the surrounding scenery as collectibles! Fun mini puzzles, loads of stuff to do, interactive HOS, but I dont see a map, was there one?

The scenery is very fairy like, painted very well and colorful, it was easy on my eyes, although some scenery were a bit dark, but overall it fits the storyline and scenes.

A CE worth having

Bluecassie37
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by Bluecassie37 on Aug 25, 13 7:44 AM
This is the type of game I like, but I'm afraid I couldn't get into it at all. For some reason little things kept niggling.

The friendly gingerbread man you meet in the first couple of minutes (Chip) has the most annoying voice. It is very similar to another Chip - the teacup in B&tB. I had to skip the cut scenes because it grated so much. It really is that bad.

Some of the objects seem mislabelled in the HOS for example a milking bucket actually looking like a coal scuttle.

I turned off the custom cursor, but it just turned into a smaller version. It just meant that I had to aim around some things I wanted to touch to get the cursor to interact.

Also it seemed to lack any sense of urgency. You are a mother who has had her children stolen. But here you are worrying that there is a bit of honey on a doorknob and stopping to help a market seller with his awning. Not for me I'm afraid.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Aug 25, 13 12:41 PM
Something a little different. It's still the basic good vs.evil, but told in a charming manner and with great graphics. A special game. Thanks and Developers!

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Aug 26, 13 9:54 AM
After having to create a new profile when the game cursor wasn't letting me pick up things, I finished the demo and found it to be fun and charming. I love fairy tales and this kind of artwork, so I look forward to purchasing this game soon but may wait for the SE. Some may not like the distorted look to the locations but I found it similar in art style to Oddly Enough: Pied Piper and Deadtime Stories. The difference from what we're used to seeing was a refreshing change and gives it a real storybook feel to the gameplay. I like it!

Edited on 08/26/2013 at 9:55:11 AM PST

Go to: