bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Ashley Clark: Secret of the Ruby

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Aug 26, 13 1:49 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of Ashley Clark: Secret of the Ruby? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Ashley Clark: Secret of the Ruby page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Ashley Clark: Secret of the Ruby

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Aug 26, 13 1:50 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 26, 13 3:38 AM
Perfect Punchcard Monday Game!

BASED ON FULL HOUR DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I am so often disappointed by stand alone SE games, that I am very happy to find a good one. This is not the flashiest game you’ll ever see – the budget is clearly too low for that – but it’s got all the essentials, and they’re done well.

The opening cut scenes are very like 3D adventure games, and the game world is done in old fashioned pseudo-realism, but don’t let that fool you, there is more to this game than there seems at first glance.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Initially, we have a typical cop/crime mystery game with the expected visuals to go with it, based in the real world and fairly ordinary. We have been called out to the crime scene of a probable kidnapping, with strange complications. We find out that there have been a series of similar crimes dating back to 1790!

Then we take a good look at the ruby amulet found at the scene, and are thrown into a completely different world. Personally I thought we took that pretty casually, for a street smart cop and all.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Once we leave behind our present day reality, the graphics become mostly water colour hand drawn in style. Good colour and clarity. The cut scenes still hark back to earlier time, but the HO scenes in particular look great. No matter which style of graphics is being used at any moment, it is all well done.

The voiceovers, when there are some (characters will go from VO to print when the dialogue is long), are very good, even though sometimes the pronunciation is off. We can interact and talk with the characters we meet, and that plus the cut scene graphics give the game the feel of an adventure game, so expect a little more talk than usual.

MAKING PROGRESS
The gameplay is well balanced between HO games (interactive list & silhouettes) and puzzles. The puzzles were almost all new for me, and a couple were a little confusing, so a bit more difficult than the norm. The adventure gameplay was pretty logical, and plenty of guidance from characters meant, not overly difficult. There is a directional hint and skip is quick in the easiest of 3 levels. The map was a transporter, but not interactive.

We collect rubies for additional hints.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I ran out of time because I was too engrossed in the story to pay attention. Always a good sign. Definitely on my buy list.

I recommend this game!

Edited on 08/26/2013 at 5:51:36 AM PST

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Aug 26, 13 6:43 AM
I hope this will be considered a review...
I played the demo for 15 minutes and always want to use the tutorial in case that will tell me of any thing I should need to know.
Anyway, this game held me hostage...I couldn't even look around a room or ?
My review is after the 15 minutes I deleted.....
The graphics were sub standard
Story line, can't tell you really
Music,was there any?
Thumbs down for me

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Aug 26, 13 1:14 PM
Wow! Such a wide range of reviews here. Well, I'll be in the middle. I like this game and will enjoy it when there's a walk through. I am very comfortable with both adventure and HO games, and this one seems to be a combination of both. I'm just becoming lazy in my old age and admit needing some help with puzzles
As far as the game itself, it's a little "old-fashioned", but not too much so. Great story line and very good beginning. I'll use a game credit and wait for more help on the puzzles, then I'll be able to enjoy it. I did complete the trial and was disappointed when the time was up, because that's "decision time". So a buy, but to be played later.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Aug 26, 13 1:51 PM
Based on demo: I actually liked this game in lieu of the "dreck" that BF games has been coming out with lately. Artwork is good & not cartoonish as some games have been lately. VO's are character appropriate & the music isn't overpowering. Hint button seems to fill up quickly. The HO screens are still junk piles but you can find everything....eventually! The puzzles are somewhat different than the usual connect electrical wires or slide bolts to move an object outside of the box. The storyline is still similar too sooooo many others.

It seems the devs have a dozen or so storylines that they just revamp over & over again. How about some originality with the storylines??? Perhaps a contest among the devs who can think "outside the box" & come up with a game that does NOT include witches, demons, lost/dead people or time-travel etc. Just want to encourage the devs to think creatively!

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Aug 26, 13 2:52 PM
This was just an OK game... really needed a walkthrough - or at least a map with interactive areas indicated. Some of the puzzles made no sense at all - I skipped many of them. Glad I had a free game coupon to use on this one.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 26, 13 3:00 PM
Graphics are fairly clear and bright, game play is nice. Voice overs are good, but few and far between. HOGs have easy to find items, although a few are a bit dark. Games are not easy and do take some thought to complete. Hint system filled at the usual rate and was helpful.

There is a click penalty, something we have not seen for quite some time. This seems to send this one back in time a bit. Speaking of back in time, this is another game that does just that. Pick up the amulet and you are transported back...again. Nothing new here.

There were a number of typos in the written dialogue as well...words running together. This was not a particularly challenging game for me. You have to find a ruby to get more hints, and they are not all that easy to see (very dark areas). That seems to be the only extra in this game and that isn't much.

This game is more for the beginner than anyone else, and I'm sure a beginner would find it fun. The game is quite quiet, even with music turned up. Needs some sound FX or something. I recommend for beginners, but not for the advanced or expert player, so no buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

manticore
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by manticore on Aug 26, 13 3:09 PM
Surprisingly, I really enjoyed this game! After the initial frustration in the cell/dungeon, it flowed nicely - I don't think it needs a walkthrough - just take your time & apply some logic. You start with 5 hints, & collect rubies for more. If there's nothing to do where you are, the hint directs you elsewhere (at no cost). Some of the objects in the HO scenes are well-hidden & some are quite small, but the graphics are very clear. I didn't break my neck to finish it, so it took me about 6 hours-ish & I have to admit to skipping a few puzzles. I used a PCC, so I've had a good day's entertainment for free - can't complain!!

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Aug 26, 13 8:45 PM
I also feel that this game is worth a PCC. For a SE game, it isn't bad at all. I got immersed in the storyline, and found myself wanting to continue playing. The items to find in the HOG scenes can be a challenge to find, as well as the jewels that give you hints. I am off to use my PCC.

[Post New]by mousee567 on Aug 27, 13 3:10 AM
Judging by cut-scenes I thought that it’ll be a present-day detective. The cut-scenes and the game as like as chalk and cheese. Wonderful game!!!! The game atmosphere is old-fashioned and fabulous. Characters are very funny. There are not so much of hidden object scenes to be boring but there are a lot of mini-games. They are very different; some of them are really new and difficult. IMHO, the best of them is mini-game to cook the sauce of products in special proportions!!

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 27, 13 8:03 PM
Graphics is superb and slightly more of HOS, interactive HOS, no interactive map, but hints got recharged quite fast. Good storyline, and nice mini puzzles. Since its not a CE, well worth your free stamps.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Aug 28, 13 8:22 AM
Let's say I didn't mind this game -- I stopped with about 10 minutes left on the demo, and decided ultimately not to use one of my 2 PCC's on this. It didn't really grab me that much, despite nice graphics. I thought the gameplay a little old-fashioned. I didn't need a walkthrough for it, and not only do you collect rubies for extra hints, I noticed I gained a hint when I entered a new scene, so you shouldn't run out. It just felt a little formulaic for me, but I think a lot of people will enjoy this -- there's enough variety in it.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 29, 13 9:59 AM
This is a very good value for a standard edition game.

Story – Interesting with a variety of characters. There is a good bit of dialogue, some of it humorous, but it is needed for the story. There is voice over for some of the dialogue.

Game play – Flows along with a good mixture of adventure, hidden object scenes and puzzle mini-games. There are 4 difficulty levels to choose when you set up your profile. Easy, Normal, Hard and Nightmare.

Puzzles – Good puzzles if you like a challenge. They can be skipped. They can be replayed in a bonus section.

Great interactive map – The interactive map is shown with thumbnails of each available location so you can see where you might want to go. Just click on the scene and you are taken there.

Hints - You are given some hints and can find others by collecting rubies in the scenes. If you use all the ruby hints your normal hint will recharge, so you are never out of hints. The hints you are given and the recharge time depends on the difficulty level you choose. Recharge time is 30 seconds in Easy Mode and 2 minutes in Nightmare mode.

I had a great time playing this game and I loved the challenging puzzles for a change. I recommend this game.

murphy1923
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by murphy1923 on Aug 30, 13 5:42 PM
I really liked this game - and bought it - because of the very different and unusual puzzles.
The storyline doesn't mean much to me so it just got in the way of the progress through the game for me.
But the puzzles! I could do about half of them, but was stymied many times - I just didn't know what the object of the puzzle was at times.
The hidden objects were just hard enough, and I think I found all the red gems.

I just wish there were more clues on how to do the puzzles, but other than that, definitely recommend this game.

Cookyville
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by Cookyville on Aug 31, 13 3:59 AM
Penguin29 wrote:This was just an OK game... really needed a walkthrough - or at least a map with interactive areas indicated. Some of the puzzles made no sense at all - I skipped many of them. Glad I had a free game coupon to use on this one.

Potential to be a very good game BUT:

No walkthrough ( & this game needs one )

The HINT button is very slow to recharge

From today on- no walkthrough- no purchase

I feel 'forced' to buy CEs' only & I don't like that

Cookyfish

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 4, 13 7:48 PM
this game seemed like it was created 5-6 years ago, i found it quite stark, there was very little atmosphere to it. actually i found it quite boring

[Post New]by ASTROSFAN on Sep 8, 13 3:06 AM
I was enjoying playing this game until it stopped working. I wish I had read the forums before I bought the game. Seems there are several places in the game where the cursor won't do what it is supposed to do. If you want to take a chance on it I suggest using a free game coupon for it; you do not want to give up any money for this game!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Sep 13, 13 7:52 AM
I just finished this game and thought it was quite fun. You have to use your thinking cap. My only complaint is the lack of direction in the puzzles. I love games with lots of puzzles and enjoy that aspect but many of the puzzles in this game simply didn't make sense. I'm sure I must have skipped at least half of them which I hate to do. I guess I need a bit more direction than these developers were willing to provide. For example it shows a picture of how to make a potion, you make it and it says the proportions are wrong. There's no clue or a clue so obscure I can't see it as to the amount of each ingredient to add. A bit frustrating.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Sep 14, 13 4:48 PM
I agree with Hydrogibbon about the hints for some of the puzzles being obscure. I found some of them to be real head scratchers. I really had to look at the clues in several ways and then use trial and error to try to narrow down the results.

I would much rather see this type of puzzle and struggle with it than the puzzles that are way too easy and give no challenge at all. There are so many games now with easy puzzles that it is refreshing to face this kind of brain stimulation once in a while.

Edited on 09/21/2013 at 5:29:07 AM PST

Go to: