Reviews for The Snow

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for The Snow

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 28, 13 1:56 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of The Snow ? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the The Snow page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Snow

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 28, 13 1:57 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 28, 13 3:47 AM
Played demo and bought it. Yes! Yes! Likes this! Yes!

Nice run of swap match 3's, with Laruaville, Imperial Island, and now this! Thanks Big Fish!

Love it!

[Post New]by hlmnch on Aug 28, 13 4:16 AM
Wow, match-3, at last! Long time no see a good one.
Dear fishes, totally loved this one!
Lovely combination of addictive gameplay, fab art and touching storyline (nearly cried ).

And guess what? There is a song playing in main menu! A little bit strange accent, though.
Wish, it had wallpapers in it, cause I want to grab some art from it.

Totally recommend it!

goldendog08
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by goldendog08 on Aug 28, 13 6:33 PM
Very nice game and variety of match 3's. I like the one where you must match the color of the little balls on the top of the screen with the color of your match 3.

Can anyone tell me though if that stupid "hint" with the shaking match ever goes away? It's not in options and it seems every time I stop for more than 3 seconds to study the board/find matches the game starts that HIGHLY annoying "suggested" move shaking. Don't think I'll buy the game if it's a permanent fixture.

ataloss
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by ataloss on Aug 28, 13 9:59 PM
Absolutely love this game! Beautiful music, cute graphics, and I like m3's with an adventure story. Anyone who likes m3's like I do, should enjoy this game. Bought it before I even finished the demo. More like this BF.

camgold
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by camgold on Aug 29, 13 8:55 AM
Love the game, after playing demo bought it. Only thing I don't like is the part where you have to grow the tree, I played for over 4 hours trying to just finish that one and still didn't finish, had to stop for dinner and when you stop (quit) you have to start that one all over again, there should be a resume as it takes for ever to grow that tree, first you have the vines (or limbs), then you have three stages of flowers and it takes for ever to fill the bar at the top just to get one limb or one flower. Now I have to start this stage all over again, I don't know when I will have another 4 hours of even 5 to do this. Ugh

Scobeaux
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by Scobeaux on Aug 29, 13 1:55 PM
I agree with goldendog08, that "helpful" shaking hint is driving me crazy and is extremely close to completely ruining the game for me, especially in challenge mode. It isn't even necessary since there is no timer. How is anyone supposed to be able to concentrate with that going on? Make it go away!

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Aug 29, 13 6:31 PM
Ugh, ugh, ugh. I cannot think of one positive thing to say about this Match-3.

What's up with the graphics? Looks like there is a film over everything.
What's up with the story? Oh - maybe it's for my grandchildren.
What's up with the instructions? I did not understand even one, so just made matches, and I WON! Wow - what a challenge.

Finally, I was dozing off while playing a board.
That has to be the ultimate insult to any game, be in Match-3 or not.

I apologize to everyone that posted rave reviews, which would be everyone but me. This is the end of Big Fish for me. I'm sure they will not shed a tear about it, either.

I really am sorry for such a lousy review, but that is how I felt about this game. Of course, please play the trial - you may find this as enjoyable as all the other reviewers here, and it may just be me.

Spookys_Mom
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

Reviews for The Snow

[Post New]by Spookys_Mom on Aug 30, 13 8:11 AM
I think this may be a buy for me but I play Match 3 all the time and I am a little concerned about the delayed cursor. It did not move smoothly for me. It was vey jumpy and moved slowly. I changed to system cursor instead of the game cursor and it did better. I then closed the game and reopened and it was better still. I liked the story line and before you play each board there is an explaination of what you need to accomplish to finish the level. I liked that. All in all not a bad Match 3 not great but not bad especially since Match 3's are so far and few between. Not to mention when we do get offered one they are usually not worth a darn. I am ready for really good one like Rainbow Web 4 or Val'Gor 2.
I would recommend this game if the cursor behaves for you!

Bilyeu5
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Bilyeu5 on Aug 31, 13 9:40 AM
Match 3 is my favorite genre. These games work best with my game style, which is short interludes of 15-20 minutes here and there throughout the day. I was thrilled with both Laruaville and Imperial Island and thought from early comments that The Snow would be another great experience. So far...not so much. Don't like the fast hints, freezing tiles in the middle of game play, or the cursor action. Can't decide if I'll buy this, or just resurrect some old favorites to play during the dry spells between new offerings.

ataloss
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by ataloss on Sep 3, 13 11:24 PM
I agree with camgold. It takes a long time to get the flowers on the tree. I also had to stop for some reason, and now I have to start the tree all over again. Can't always play for 4 or 5 hours. I loved the adventure game, but this, not so much .

adinah
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by adinah on Sep 5, 13 8:52 PM
This is the first time I have posted a strong negative review. I thought the story was cute-but too short to be worth buying. I found the challenge level was way too hard for me. Normal game play is forgiving of tremors (on a bad day) but this was hopeless. The directions were inadequate for some of the games also. They should have given a tutorial for some of them - or a chance to practice and learn the skills. I feel half the game was wasted and the written description on the website made no mention that half the gameplay was not the story.
I would have given it a rave if the effort had been put into making the girl's quest be the game- it was a cute idea very sloppily executed. And the flowers on the tree was a disaster. Who has that much time to put into something that repetitive?

This is the first time I have truly regretted a purchase. I never felt so let down By Big Fish and I will never buy anything from these makers again.

jodice
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by jodice on Sep 6, 13 8:30 PM
Not impressed with this stupid game at all...The graphics are really crappy, there are no instructions to let you know what you need to do to get the 3 gems, so I just kept playing and all the sudden I finished it without even knowing what I did. On some of the mini games my computer starts making a stuttering noise like it's going to blow up...It is not worth it to me to ruin my computer to play such a dumb game. I thought it was going to be kind of like Bejeweled 3 where you have to complete all the challenges to open up other games, but I can't complete them to get anywhere if my computer crashes...I am disappointed...Guess I will just dump this one and go back to Plants VS Zombies and Bejeweled 3 and the Fishdom games that never disappoint me :-)

[Post New]by musicimprovedme on Sep 6, 13 8:30 PM
I don't usually enjoy Match 3's but the theme had me intrigued from the beginning. I gladly used a credit to get the whole game.

Gameplay is very much like Candy Crush Saga if you play that (a FB game) but there are unlimited moves at least so far, this is true. I have only played for the first hour..

The storyline isn't necssarily the most engaging but it's not bad. You are working your way through various places to find someone to help you undo the curse that has frozen the land, you are the girl who ultimately has to thaw out her parents. You are using match 3 boards to advance yourself.

This is of course mostly a gem swap kind of game but each screen has a different way to play it due to varying goals. Get a certain color, knock out the horizontals, clear the whole board, reveal the puzzle underneath, etc. So it keeps you on your toes. There are some similarities to other match 3. For one, you can start chain reactions by working at the bottom of the board and letting other pieces fall that line up too. Another familiar feature is that if you connect more than 3, you get a special piece that can help you. Plus of course the boards get harder to match as you go along. Fortunately I am playing adventure/story mode, so there is no time limit which is what really frustrates me about match3 games after they start to get difficult. I'm sure there is a timed mode for those who like a deadline. I'm glad I have the option sidestep that frustration.

Technically speaking, the download was smooth, it installed properly, the graphics are running fine, and the music and art are really really pretty...

Edited on 09/06/2013 at 8:31:36 PM PST

agrimony
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by agrimony on Sep 15, 13 12:20 PM
I agree with goldendog about the "hint shaking" it is driving me crazy and disrupts my concentration. At first I tried really tried to ignore it, but that didn't happen.

Don't get me wrong I do really like this game and will probably play it over and over.

I have another pet peeve though. I got to the end of the Adventure series and had to fight the "Big Freeze Guy" and could not finish the adventure because there was not only frost on many jewels, but he kept blowing more frost on the others that were not covered. I beat him three times and thought "Great now I have won" but to my surprise here he came again. Finally I just quit the game because I got very tired of trying to unfreeze what I just unfroze. So if you don't mind undoing what you just undid I do recommend this game and I will eventually go back and defeat that "Big Freeze Guy" just not today.

If I were giving out stars it would be a three for this one because of the above. All in all it is a really cool game .

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Sep 18, 13 11:07 AM
camgold wrote:Love the game, after playing demo bought it.
Only thing I don't like is the part where you have to grow the tree, I played for over 4 hours trying to just finish that one and still didn't finish, had to stop for dinner and when you stop (quit) you have to start that one all over again, there should be a resume as it takes for ever to grow that tree, first you have the vines (or limbs), then you have three stages of flowers and it takes for ever to fill the bar at the top just to get one limb or one flower. Now I have to start this stage all over again, I don't know when I will have another 4 hours of even 5 to do this. Ugh

I can't agree more, camgold.
Like you I was enjoying the game.....Had checked it outreviews, etc but not Demo, (which I seldom do) 1st b/4 purchasing,
to makew sure a 'Relaxed Mode' was available.
And yes, there is Some, but disappoinred that in a single round of very challenging M3, (where the Challenge advances faster that You can), that can take so much time to complete.
I have some physical limitations, and I'm afraid this one is fixing to wind up in The Round File.
=^,,^=

PS::: I tumped it!

Edited on 09/18/2013 at 1:00:31 PM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Sep 30, 13 3:23 PM
Only played a few minutes of the demo before getting a bit bored. Found the game a bit awkward too. Not a buyer for me.

[Post New]by dragonwolf2013 on Oct 12, 13 4:12 PM
I also enjoyed this game up until the "Big Freeze Guy" level. You can't clear the board! I removed all of the ice at the top only to have the "Big Freeze Guy" keep freezing and re-freezing tiles. I finally got bored and found that I no longer cared. I am sorry I bought this game..and I love Match 3 games.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 6, 14 3:32 PM
Additional review:

When I first tried to play this game I found it very dull, but after going back I found it to be interesting enough to purchase. Very interesting and creative ways of presenting match 3 options. The Adventure is a bit dorky so I skipped all the dialog, but the graphics were amazing and the way it worked you through the story via match 3 was very different than any match 3 I have played. The levels got more difficult toward the end to the point they became just plain tedious and since I wasn't playing it "timed" I just plodded along until I finished...whew. There is other options such as the standard untimed mode, the challenge mode and a firefly mod.

I felt it was worth the purchase and was a challenge at times. I give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Edited on 01/06/2014 at 3:34:08 PM PST

Go to: