bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Sable Maze: Norwich Caves Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 29, 13 1:37 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of Sable Maze: Norwich Caves Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Sable Maze: Norwich Caves Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Sable Maze: Norwich Caves Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 29, 13 1:37 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Aug 29, 13 2:25 AM
Lost In The Labyrinth

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
My first thought: turn up the volume. For some reason it is set so low you can’t even hear the music, let alone object to it. So it’s a quiet start to this game, but not an uninteresting one.

In fact, the story hooked me straightaway. Four college kids and a loopy professor are lost in the labyrinth, an ancient cave system with mysterious overtones. As a newly appointed professor, you have been begged to help in the search.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are top quality. Artistically, they have nothing to distinguish them, but the look is clear and detailed, and not unattractive. The sounds, well, even at full volume, do not make a real impact. Although there are a couple of ‘shocks’ when the music will suddenly be loud and frantic. The voiceovers were good for the most part, but the attempt at lip sync doesn’t quite come off.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Once we get into the basement and run into the missing professor, it becomes clear that he, at least, is not interested in being rescued. He magically shuts off all 4 entrances to the maze and disappears into it himself.

His students are not so happy to be there! And something strange is going on with the water... Further investigation exposes the history of the area, and the 4 founders who sealed the caves and started the university. Something really different – the bad guy is made of water!

MAKING PROGRESS
It may just be I am having a particularly dense day, but I found myself relying heavily on the interactive jump map practically from the moment I received it. A flair for lateral thinking is definitely an advantage in this one. Not that anything is totally out there wacko, but definitely non-linear.

There are roughly the same number of HOs and puzzles, with the HOs being a progressive (find and use) list, and the puzzles being almost all new to me, and varying in difficulty. The instructions are not always the best. But the SG provides solutions that make the rules fairly obvious.

There is no journal with this one, and already I’m feeling the lack of it.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I think this is a good CE game. It has all the standard requirements (including very interesting collectibles and trophies), and the production quality. It is not a spectacular game, but it is good.

I recommend this game!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Aug 29, 13 4:11 AM
I played the demo, and I loved the game, thx DEV's for all your hard work and time you spent on making this awesome game, the graphics was beautiful the sounds went well with the game..I will buy when the SE comes out..I do recommend this game.. Thx Big Fish 5

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Aug 29, 13 5:03 AM
Not sure about this game. Graphics are great but there is something about it that just does not grab me.
I may wait for the SE. So far nothing that could qualify as a CE in this one.
Just did not hear any bells and whistles. I lost interest within 15 min.
Many of you will like it though, so as always try it.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 29, 13 1:35 PM
Thought the game to be a very good one. Enjoyed the puzzles I did play and hints reload fast and you have a map which you can go to tasks that need to be done. HOG's are different in a way and like that too. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 29, 13 2:56 PM
Not familiar with the dev. However, the previous reviewer stated that we have a game from them in the past. I like the fact that the storyline is a little different even if it makes absolutely no sense scientifically. The students are trapped in an underground labyrinth and it is your job to open up four gates (one for each student) and free them. In the middle of the labyrinth is a monster made out of water, I believe. Oh well, guess you can make people out of anything, even water. I usually don't like HOG games, but the way this game is structured, the HOG scenes provide the inventory items you need and you must interact with the items in the HOG scenes to receive those items. This definitely makes the HOG scenes more interesting. The puzzles I have encountered are very easy. The graphics are okay to me but not spectacular I could hear the music (others said they could not hear it) so I am not certain if that could be a computer glitch on their computers. A decent game from a new dev. If I have the time, I will purchase and play it. Time is short for me now but I would purchase this game. Not certain however, of the length as there are two chapters in the walkthrough.

Edited on 08/29/2013 at 2:57:45 PM PST

[Post New]by Fergie_Hogue on Aug 29, 13 3:37 PM
sunnyglow wrote:Not familiar with the dev.

Hi sunnyglow! There's an article published today about this dev, might be interesting for you http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/behind-the-curtain-the-making-of-sable-maze-norwich-caves/
It's the same dev that made Dark Dimension series.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Aug 29, 13 4:21 PM
This is based on trial version only.

This is a good game, with great graphics, story, puzzles and hidden object scenes. It does seem to have a different story line and for me, it was excellant: I didn't want to stop. The map in terrific and you can jump from one scene to another. Stradegy Guide, which I used several times, is self explanatory. Tells you what you need when you need it. Personally, the map was a better choice for me in the helping department.

I only found one collectible items and not sure exactly what they are but seems as if they are all different?? Wish I could explain more but don't remember the details that were in the general tips of the SG.

I'll buy it because of it's length: but the hints provided helped wonders so the SG would not be necessary. I love CE's and when money is plentiful, I'll buy.

Edited on 08/29/2013 at 4:21:48 PM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Aug 29, 13 4:55 PM
I love this game! It has everything I need. IHOS, collectibles, a great story, great graphics, a good smidgen of adventure, VOs, characters that are believable, and so much more.
I beta tested this game, but had forgotten. When I first looked at the game page, the number of stars at that time threw me. I sometimes just dismiss games if they are wobbly on the stars, but then I started reading. I'm glad I did! Turned out to be a great game and worth the price. Give it a try!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 29, 13 7:05 PM
Hello, pond pals. A game from a dev that I am not familiar with, but sounds like they must be around somewhere. Anyway, not a bad game today. Graphics are clear and game play is very nice. Didn't have any problems with the demo at all. Hint system is helpful and fills fairly quickly. There is a jump map and it does tell what location you are pointing at (unless you have an incredible memory, this is extremely helpful). Nice voice overs and sound FX.

SG isn't too bad, but some instructions were not real clear. Really don't need the SG when you use the hint. There are some collectables to find (a little different than the usual stuff). HOGs were clean and clear, but all the same. I don't mind this type of HOG (find this in order to find that), but a few here and there would be much better than all of them being the same.

Story is a little different. Yes, someone is missing and you have to find them, but still a little different. The only thing I really did not care for was the constant up and down of the guide at the top of the page...why would you do that?? Annoying to say the least. This was not an extremely challenging game and did not grab me from the beginning, but I did find it interesting and a little different.

I have a pile of punches to use and as usual, there is no good SE in sight...they just keep piling up. I'm going to go ahead and get this one, but that's it for the CE games until I can get rid of my punches. I've lost too many already and that's money down the drain.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 30, 13 5:48 PM
CE worthy! more of HOPS than just straight forward HOS. HOS are in the form of inventory usage, and its very clever and sometimes slightly devious, some brain power is needed to get the final object, but its just more fun than interactive HOS whereby 90% of the time u have to find an object, and 10% of the time or even lesser used inventory u found to get another hidden object.

Fun mini puzzles, easy as well as brainy ones. Easy to play though with interactive map and tasks icon on the map. Collectibles as well, I thought it was some sort of icon of the school/maze thingy or flower thingy?

BUY BUY BUY, bundle sale too! Those still have not collect the series why not now. Get your stamps and go change it for something just as worthwhile!

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Aug 30, 13 7:21 PM

Once again, Daily Magic has failed to wow me. This is their fifth game now, and I have bought one of their past four (which I loved). I don’t know what it is: Maybe it’s the story, maybe it’s the gameplay, or maybe it’s that I didn’t like the first Sable Maze. I don’t know, but this game didn’t appeal to me that much.

The story started off a little boring. The opening cutscene wasn’t very interesting at all, but then the story got better as the game progressed. The main villain of the story is one that I didn’t expect, and is a nice twist. I’ll give them that. But, apart from that, nothing really that interesting happened in the demo. But in comparison to the first Sable Maze, the story was MUCH better, even if it wasn’t that gripping.

The gameplay was good, but not great. The last game got me with the gameplay, but this one won’t, sadly. The best thing about the gameplay was the HOS. The HOS were unique, in a good way. Some developers do unique HOS and they fail miserably, but these guys didn’t. I enjoyed every HOS I played. They were fun and challenging.
The puzzles were also enjoyable. To my surprise, I could actually complete most of them, which was nice.
Overall, the gameplay was probably the best part of the game.

The graphics were the same from these devs; fairly good, almost realistic and lots of attention to detail. I’m amazed at how game makers can do such a great job. I tried once, and it was a mess…
I didn’t pay much attention to the music, because it was very quiet. It’s nice for those who like the game to be peaceful and don’t like loud, off-putting music like myself. If you want to make a comment on the music, TURN THE VOLUME UP!!!
Voice-overs were standard. They weren’t over-done, but they weren’t terrific either. I can’t really make a comment there.
(to be continued in a second post)

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Aug 30, 13 7:23 PM
(review, continued)

FEATURES
- 3 modes of difficulty: Casual, Advanced and Hard. I played Casual. Difficulty can be swapped in game if you find it too easy or hard.
- Hint and Skip- both recharge fairly quickly on Casual and the hint is helpful outside HOS.
- No Diary, which I found incredibly odd.
- Interactive Map. The Map highlights areas that have a task that can be completed.

CE EXCLUSIVES
- Bonus Chapter- a completed game review says this is not needed.
- Built-in Strategy Guide- very helpful with puzzles and is helpful if you get stuck.
- Collectibles- You must collect 3 items for every student to find out more about them.
- Achievements
- The other usual Bonus Content such as Concept Art, Music, etc.

So, to conclude, I’d say this is an average game. Although it’s much better than the first Sable Maze, I still wasn’t tempted enough to buy it. I’d give it a rating of 3 stars out of 5. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t outstanding either. The game seems to end conclusively, so it shouldn’t matter if you pick the CE or SE.
I'll recommend the trial, See what you make of it.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Aug 31, 13 1:28 AM
(Based on the demo) This game has it all! Interesting story tale, clear and beautiful graphics, few clean and crisp HOS, challenging minigames/puzzles, SG in plain sight, just in case you need it, 3 modes, good tips system, and map! I particolarly like the enviroment, (intellectual/mystic/scientific) and the art work which illustrate the college/university, is just awsome, so are the sounds efxs, I love the rain and wind in the courtyard, it makes so autunmal and scholastic! I hope the rest of the keep ups to the demo, because it's definetly a buy for me! 5

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Sep 11, 13 5:08 AM
I really want this game.But refuse to buy with all the problems.The fact is I've asked three times if there is a fix or update and every time i'm given a webpage and it brings me right to this sight and still doesn't say anything about dates .Where is the list of games to be updated,like before BF changed and now you can't find anything

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 13, 13 6:23 PM
like somebody else mentioned this game just did not "grab" me. way too many h.o. scenes and i found i really did not care for the storyline.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Sep 16, 13 2:10 PM
I finished the game, enjoyed the graphics and most of the challenges, got through the bonus (yeah, the bonus game was just OK) and felt the need to say that this is one of the very few games that has non-white characters. One is a dark-skinned student who should actually have his own game - now wouldn't that make a nice change, a main character of colour? Are there no dark-skinned devs? The other character I saw in this game was sort of Asian - sometimes he was, sometimes he wasn't, if that makes any sense.

Sadly the only other non-white characters in the games I played this summer were rather stock characters with little personality - wise old Chinese Yoda types. GAme characters always seem to be a bit stereotyped - stumblingly stupid good guys, scared kidnapped kids, evil snickering villains.

Anyway it was nice to see a variety of faces in this game and I hope that this unusual trend catches on with other games and developers.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Oct 3, 13 3:21 PM
AWESOME job Daily Magic, I am a FAN after playing this game, and to think I almost missed it, THANKS to BF'S sale, I decided to give it a try .

This one totally took me by surprise ...and I ended up REALLY loving the story and the game play, it kept me engaged through out, the entire game, which is no easy task, so for me it gets 4 stars and a .
What is not to love, these developers did a GREAT job on the H0'S, not only were they VERY interactive, there was also some FUN challenge to them as well ...there's no just collecting items here, I had to actually think about what my next move was going to be...LOVE IT ...and I recieved a BRAIN award, imagine that..LOL!!! Since I've had 3 brain surgerys, this really impressed me, having no memory to speak of .
I thought the graphics and artwork were AMAZING, they looked great on my monitor
and the artwork was differnt, LOVED the different plaques for Science, Mathmatics, and Medicine, along with Earth, Air, Fire and water, and searching through the different departments, Library, Medical etc, I just found it VERY interesting and FUN.
The collectables were also, UNIQUE, finding 3 items for each student, LOVED collecting these items, and there were also moments in this game were I just thought, this is so COOL ..should of written them down .
IMHO this game just felt a notch above the rest, the way the game play flowed, it had VERY COOL cut scenes, AWESOME ways to use items, that I haven't seen in other games, a FUN and EXCITING story, that kept me wanting more .
AND....puzzles and mini's that you WANT TO PLAY...so for me, this one had it all.
It's just MHO, and I'm sticking to it...THANKS a bunch, Daily Magic, this fishie thinks you all did an ABSOLUTE wonderful job on this one .
Now I am going to try your other SM game, hope I enjoy it as much as this .

Go to: