bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Royal Envoy: Campaign for the Crown Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 7, 13 1:36 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of Royal Envoy: Campaign for the Crown Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Royal Envoy: Campaign for the Crown Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Royal Envoy: Campaign for the Crown Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 7, 13 1:37 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 7, 13 2:25 AM
I bought this from the developer when it was released 10 weeks ago; couldn't wait for it to be available at BFG! As usual the graphics are top-notch and the cut scenes cleverly tell the story of how the King goes from hero to zero very quickly! Our task is to restore him to hero and win the election against his challenger, aided by Cedric and other well known characters. But you'd have to wonder why the voters would even think of choosing a challenger named Swindler in the first place!

The map changes colour as you complete various tasks and restore the voters faith in the King. The tasks are familiar; building houses, picking food, chopping wood. As usual you will have to build sawmills, markets or dovecotes to complete some levels. And occasionally there are side tasks; the snowball fight is back, along with others that do need a lot of fast clicking to meet the gold time or get one of the many achievements you can earn.

There is so much to like about this game but it's not without some flaws. For some reason the developers chose to reduce the types of homes you can build to just cabins, cottages or chalets. No villas or mansions, neither can you upgrade any home more than once so gold is collected more slowly. But at least you just 'mouse over' the gold/wood/food to collect it, rather than clicking to pick it up! Another thing I didn't like was if you turn off the hints, some levels will not take you back to the map once completed. They just stay on screen and you have to exit back to the map manually. Then I tried it with the hints turned on and there are some cut scenes that don't appear when the hints are turned off. The devs clearly consider these scenes to be a hint; I didn't think so. And lastly, two or three of the levels are simply boring. One in particular consists of repairing a few cottages and then waiting for 8,000 gold to pay a pirate. At 150 gold a cottage this takes ages and there is nothing else to do. Why the devs even put this level in is beyond me; surely there must have been a more inventive way to introduce the pirates than that.

The bonus levels are great fun and some are quite tricky, especially as there is no help for these at all. In the main game there is a ? at the top right of the screen which gives a detailed walkthrough; it's not there in the bonus levels! And you now have to get 25 stars to free up the next 10 levels; previously it was 15.

Far too few of these games around to pass on this one. Recommended.

Edited on 09/07/2013 at 4:01:00 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Sep 7, 13 2:31 AM
This is a cute game, but the one big drawback for me is that I didn't see an untimed mode, so therefore no buy. I have 4 others of this type with untimed modes that I am enjoying more because of the untimed mode and the stories and character are just as cute. Did get annoying that the workers kept complaining about working and they seemed sluggish. IMHO it's not worth the $13.99 price tag.

Story It is a cute story and enjoyed what I saw.

Graphics: They were fine.

Music: It was fine for this type of game

Game play: Same as any other game of this genre. Collect resources, rebuild and upgrade houses and cottages, build sawmills and do repairs.

All in all I give it out of . To me sorry this one just seems to be missing something. The others of this series was a little better.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 7, 13 3:18 AM
Another Fun & Giggles Royal Envoy

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I sometimes wonder if I should give up my obsession with HOPAs and transfer my allegiance to wonderful builder games like the Royal Envoy series. This addition is hugely fun, for all the reasons the other two were such hits.

I love having my name included in the royal command to ‘fix it’. I love the overacted voiceover and the whimsical cartoons. The art continues to be of a high standard, and the music is ‘jolly’.

Most of all I love that I can play this game without a time limit, or I wouldn’t be able to play at all!

As hespera points out - I was wrong about the time limit. It is so much more generous than I'm used to, I thought there was no limit on this one. Either that or I'm getting much better at these games

WHAT’S HAPPENING
A pretender to the throne has demanded an election to see who should be king. The king requires us to conduct a political campaign to ensure he wins the election. The ‘bad guy’ is going around taxing and destroying, all in the name of the king, so you will have to rebuild towns etc. to prove your king’s integrity.
We are ordered to take Cedric along with us, which is handy, because he has (of course) just finished a training course on political campaigning. *ironic smile*.

MAKING PROGRESS
The game play is almost a replica of the earlier games, including many of the locations. The big difference is that earnings from our buildings can now be gathered in by a simple sweep of the cursor. No more clicking.

The chapter end summary is not detailed, as the first one was. There are again the usual achievements and trophies.

It’s been quite a while since I played the others, so I’m sure to have missed something, but these and the differences I picked up from the demo.

BLING!
This is a CE, so of course we must have some extras. There is a walkthrough, which at first I thought was pretty silly, there are so many ways of beating the levels. But in fact it gives really good and relevant tips. There are wallpapers and an animated screensaver.

And there are “The King’s Challenges” I don’t know what they are because they are unlocked only when you’ve finished the game.

For only the second time since I joined Big Fish, a non-HOPA goes on my “must-have” list. Can’t wait to get totally immersed!

Edited on 09/08/2013 at 8:16:38 AM PST

Gill_Dudley
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

Reviews for Royal Envoy: Campaign for the Crown Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Gill_Dudley on Sep 7, 13 3:29 AM
I would have bought this in a heartbeat I love this type of game but no untimed mode well ........ I could not believe this ...... do the developers live in the dark ages don't they realise that most of us are not 12 year old boys who want superspeed competitive games we are just normal people who settle down with a game when we come home from work and do not want to try too much just enjoy playing a game a few hours before bed, this is a definite no for me and I am very disappointed as I am sure I have bought Royal Envoy in the past and it had an untimed mode, obviously the developers do not want this game in the top 10 or to make any money from it

Edited on 09/07/2013 at 3:31:58 AM PST

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on Sep 7, 13 4:10 AM
No untimed mode is a no buy for me. What a shame! It's been a long drought here with no TM games for awhile.

[Post New]by mammamia21099 on Sep 7, 13 4:14 AM
Vote for the King! A new hit in the Royal Envoy Series!

Whoo Hoo! I was so excited to see a TM game today after a 2 week drought, and then looked closer to see that it was one of my favorites, Royal Envoy! I love this series, and this game is no exception. We get to revisit our old friends and once again help save the Kingdom. This time, a nefarious character, the Swindler, challenges the King for the rule of the Kingdom. The Kingdom must hold an election to see who will rule. The Swindler doesn't play fair, and we must help the King both rebuild the Kingdom and beat the Swindler in the election. I had my card out as soon as the demo was over and am excited to play the rest of the game. Loved it, and hope this is the end of yet another TM drought. Keep 'em coming Big Fish. We are tired of HOG;s every day!

I highly recommend this game! Loved it!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 7, 13 4:21 AM
As far as I can remember, none of the Royal Envoy games have had an un-timed mode. What they have is either 3,2 or 1 star finish times. The bonus levels are available if you finish the game with any stars on all the levels. Only the expert mode is off limits until you get 3 stars on every level.

The timer is pretty generous and I didn't find any problems getting 3 stars on every level. I have arthritis in my hands but never had an issue with clicking. I think the timer runs out if you don't get even 1 star but it's highly unlikely that would happen given the detailed walkthrough provided within the gameplay.

I've never tried the expert mode as there are a couple of levels where 3 star time is tight in the main game. I'm happy enough to stick to the non-expert levels! I agree with sassylassie though about the workers complaining about working; what on earth did they expect from a 'worker' job title!!

And I must just mention the elephant; he's so adorable

[Post New]by CheerfulDragon8 on Sep 7, 13 6:04 AM
I bought this from the developer as I couldn't wait to play it. The total time for each level is generous, so you should make two stars even if you can't make three. If you don't finish a level in the three star time, you just restart that level. Actually, I've been trying to play the game so that I only earn one star on each level, just to see whether the king still gets elected, and it's so hard to play that slowly! So all you people who object to no 'untimed' mode, you have nothing to worry about.

The only levels I don't like are Level 8 (catching workers as they shoot up out of mine holes) and the level with the snowball fight. Other than that, it gets 5 from me.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Sep 7, 13 10:16 AM
JustTheFacts wrote:Another Fun & Giggles Royal Envoy

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
...[snip]...

Most of all I love that I can play this game without a time limit, or I wouldn’t be able to play at all!

Just an FYI so as not to confuse - this is in error, as Royal Envoy games only have timers. The timers are very generous; however, with the exception of the first game, once the timer runs out, all play ends and you must restart the level.

Edited on 10/24/2013 at 7:13:14 PM PST

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Sep 7, 13 10:49 AM
Loved the demo! The elephant is cute, can't wait to see what other new things are waiting. 3 stars on each level has been very doable so far, only one I just missed it on but when replayed I got 3 stars very easily.

Definitely a buy for me.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Sep 7, 13 12:38 PM
I keep buying RE games ??? but, for the life of me I don't know why other than the fact I like the graphics, entertaining characters, music, etc. My problem with the RE games is that I know you can get most everything done before the timer gets to the bottom but, I also never forget that I'm going to have to repeat the level if I don't. Who really needs to stress over a game? I'm sorry but my favorite is still Adelantado II with his swishy cape where there is a relaxed mode. I realize that a relaxed mode is not the point of a TM game but, developers...wake up...think about the $$$$ you would draw from players that are not comfortable driving and clicking a Porsche mouse like a 12-year old.

sompanther
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by sompanther on Sep 7, 13 1:03 PM
I was so excited to see a new Royal Envoy game and then - totally crushed to find out that there was no untimed mode. So sad but no buy for me.

chiniakbay
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by chiniakbay on Sep 7, 13 7:43 PM
Timer? No buy for me. Bummer

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Sep 7, 13 10:04 PM
This game doesn't require an untimed mode, really!!! I'm not a 12 year old boy, I'm a 65 year old woman and I can get three stars on most every level so far. There were two I had to restart and play again to get the three stars in my hour of play. I totally love, love, love this game!!! Of all the builder games Royal Envoy is by far the best. And this one is better than the last. No more clicking to pick up resources, just pass your mouse over them. And I love the cute blue elephant!!

ronnancy
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by ronnancy on Sep 9, 13 5:03 AM
I am over the Collector's Editions. I will sample this one when it comes out in a regular version.

bookwriter
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by bookwriter on Sep 9, 13 12:15 PM
I have to say I was so excited to see this had finally come out, and I definitely was not disappointed. The graphics, as usual were amazing. The storyline, as usual was exciting. The gameplay, as usual was fun, yet challenging. I hope the developers continue to make this game for quite some time. I normally don't buy collector's editions, but I have them for this series. I bought them to show Big Fish and the developers my enjoyment and loyalty to this game. You make a great product you should be compensated. Thanks Big Fish for offering this wonderful series. I hope there are many more to come. (only negative....I haven't played into it very far, but my little tax collectors are still gone. I really miss them. They were quite cute.) PS Love the elephant and the cursor that rolls over everything. I have to say I'm still clicking on it out of habit, but hopefully that will stop soon.

Edited on 09/09/2013 at 1:24:27 PM PST

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Sep 9, 13 7:44 PM
So sad that this game has so many issues. I own the first 2 in this series (CE's no less) and was so looking forward to buying this one too! Please BFG make sure the dev's fix this game ASAP and PLEASE get a fix for this!

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Sep 11, 13 2:37 AM
Another fun sequel. I really liked it, same game mechanics with a few new twists.
I posted my review when the game came out on the BFG website. In fact I was the first but it got never posted, since I mentioned I bought this game on the devs website before it was released here, simply because I could not wait to play it.
BFG .......not cool.

Go to: