bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Reviews for My Singing Monsters

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Sep 7, 13 3:29 PM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of My Singing Monsters? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the My Singing Monsters page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Re:Reviews for My Singing Monsters

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Sep 7, 13 3:34 PM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Sep 8, 13 1:08 AM
How do I feel?
Disappointed!
As soon as I found out I would need to purchase items with real cash, I logged out and deleted the game.
I would have liked to play this game, but even if I were not on a strict budget, I have serious objections to games that require you to make purchases in order to play.

If I am wrong, and this is not the case, I apologize......
but I hate to see Big Fish going down this road.

nwr1948x
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,360 Posts

[Post New]by nwr1948x on Sep 8, 13 1:36 AM
tookat wrote:How do I feel?
Disappointed!
As soon as I found out I would need to purchase items with real cash, I logged out and deleted the game.
I would have liked to play this game, but even if I were not on a strict budget, I have serious objections to games that require you to make purchases in order to play.

You're not wrong.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 8, 13 4:44 AM
I got a Sneak Peak email from Big Fish about this game and have been enjoying it. The breeding and egg hatching remind me of Faunasphere. I've only been playing for free, so just popping in and out of it. I'm up to level 12 now.

Edited on 09/08/2013 at 4:57:53 AM PST

unclepaul
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
467 Posts

[Post New]by unclepaul on Sep 8, 13 4:54 AM
Sorry not for me. I prefer to pay once for a game and then be able to play it to completion. This game does not seem to have a completion or you cannot reach it in a decent amount of time unless you are prepared to purchase progress gold diamonds food. Some of the costs there were as much as $49 . ...
Mmmm an addictive game that gets you hooked and then requires you to pay more and more real money.???
Reminds me of some of those online gambling games --- Think its time to end my Bigfish games membership of over two years if Bigfish is heading this way to gambling for youngsters.

Update: Decided to give it a go and see if my comments really applied and found that is you have a lot of time to keep going in and being selective then you do not have to pay any extra for diamonds (whiuch are used to spoeed up sections of the game) . So if you are resistant and have the time you do not need to spend any money. Not sure that you can withstand the kids though when they chime its just 4.95 to get a lot of gold , diamonds, etc. Still don't like that you have to be online to continue playing. If internet is slow then you may have trouble logging in. Would prefer this as a stand alone version and would be prepared to pay for it.

Edited on 09/11/2013 at 9:32:30 PM PST

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Sep 8, 13 4:59 AM
I was going to try,but after reading reviews ,decided not.Why is Bf going down this path,is it greed.Now we either get CE's or more of these games where it cost a arm and leg to keep the game going.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 8, 13 6:47 AM
Cute "game" and you really don't need to spend any money on it. You start off with some cash and diamonds and you earn more as your monsters sing. If you don't mind waiting, you'll eventually get an egg hatched or a building built without having to put any of your own money in it.

There's really no plot or game play involved, it's just a cute way to pass a few minutes. It's not unlike many of the building games on FB. It's worth a look, it downloads very quickly.

ETA: I've never played a "free to play" game at BFG before and I wasn't thrilled with the idea but this really is cute and so far I haven't spent a cent on it.

Edited on 09/08/2013 at 6:50:22 AM PST

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Sep 8, 13 7:19 AM
I won't even try these inappropriately named 'free to play' games that end up costing a lot more than normal games if you get hooked, because I can't afford to get hooked.

Something that springs to mind is that BFG only started running in to trouble (causing them to close the CCC forum and cut back on customer service and Live Chat) since they started doing these 'free' games. Maybe there's a lesson in there for BFG, if only they think about it...

[Post New]by bearchan on Sep 8, 13 8:33 AM
I am loving this game. The singing monsters are soooo cute. And when they become annoyingly cute, that's when I use the volume control on my speakers. As snapnhiss says, you don't have to spend any of your money at all. It's just an alternative for those who absolutely, positively need instant gratification to produce their monsters. (Not me!)

You're building a monster world where you hatch some monster eggs. Your monsters then produce coins that you use to buy monster food or decorations to make them happy. Each monster type produces coins at different rates; and as they increase in level (more feeding), they produce a higher rate of coins. Although monsters can cost diamonds, you can also create these same monsters yourself using their characteristics and a breeding structure. And you do all this without spending your own dollars, just spending your time on this game.

Singing Monsters isn't going to be for everyone. It's just something to pop in on (like gimmegames does) or just keep going while doing other things (like reading, dishes, etc.) which is what I do. IMHO, I don't see this as some evil plot that Big Fish has to con innocents out of their hard-earned cash. Singing Monsters is just a game type (play to earn spending coins) that some will like and some won't touch. I've got a couple of this game type on my phone that I'll play now and then, too.

And that's what I really enjoy about Big Fish. There's something for everyone. I personally don't care for arcade or marble-popping games but then I just don't download those types at all. Thanks Big Fish for the variety!!!

Off to check back on my T-Rox (his name is Kinser) and Drumpler (her name is Vrenna) --those babies are my money-makers! Go monsters Go! and sing me up some $$$$...I wants to buy me a diamond mine.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Sep 8, 13 9:55 AM
I'm afraid that the game didn't do anything for me. I didn't find the monsters cute; the noise they made wasn't musical--it was annoying; and the game itself was boring, for there was no story. I'd give this game one out of five stars.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 8, 13 3:28 PM
Personally, I'm not minding Big Fish Games experimenting with these Free To Play games. Why? Because 2 of the sweet MMO's I've played had to close, it seems because the costs of running them were way too high - I'm referring to Faunasphere and Glitch. I don't think the Glitch community has found a new home still really. But the players loved loved loved these games. Sooo... There's a market for *something*, but it needs to be cheap enough to be sustainable. So... I encourage some experimentation, and I think we all need to be patient and know there will be some pitfalls and fails along the way.

I've been playing quite a few of the Free to Play games, and the only one I spent "too" much on was Found - during the winter months, when I rather needed the distraction. But I didn't mind that it was going to Big Fish - overall I <3 this site, and want it to continue on and on.

NormaNorman
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by NormaNorman on Sep 8, 13 4:45 PM
I'm no longer playing the free games that allow you to advance further if you pay a bit (or in most cases - eventually - a LOT) to speed up gameplay. This goes for BFG, or anywhere else.

A couple other people mentioned their reasons above. Personally I found these kinds of open ended, partial pay games far, far too addictive. I've had to give them up altogether.

So far I'm managing my gaming addiction by playing stand alone games only, especially ones with solid goals. I still do some overplaying on these, but nowhere nearly as much as I did with the partial pays.

These types of partial pay, open ended games are CUSTOM BUILT to be addictive. There is solid evidence for this. I think this is unethical, and all the more so because many of them involve gambling incentives aimed at children.

I'm convinced there will eventually be regulations involving these types of games, but for now I just have to regulate myself here. So ABSOLUTELY a game delete for me. Sorry BFG.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 8, 13 6:12 PM
Sorry if this conversation about Free To Play games is a *little* side-tracked from reviewing this game in particular... I do agree that we each need to learn what our weaknesses are and how to avoid pitfalls. It's the same with shopping or gambling or anything else. Some activities need to be avoided by some individuals - agreed - and access by kids should be kept an eye on by parents.

One problem with the download games is that more time is spent trying out games, than enjoying the ones selected that you like. I rather like the idea of being able to continue playing a game that I like, and having new things added and all. One of my favorite download games, that I would have liked to continue, was Wandering Willows - I wanted that one to go on and on. And I like games with goals like some of these have.

[Post New]by wmsfolks on Sep 9, 13 10:24 AM
tookat wrote:How do I feel?
Disappointed!

You ARE NOT wrong! I too, am bummed out about this fun game. I think we pay BigFish Games enough with our monthly cost. Too bad, this is such a cute game!

[Post New]by gizmospooky on Sep 9, 13 4:10 PM
I find this a very entertaining game, I enjoy just spending a few minutes collecting coins from the monsters & buying them decorations to make them happier. I think it is not a game for everyone, but I find it a fine diversion. I am not planning to spend money, think I will just take my time and wait to let things happen. I haven't lost progress like someone mentioned in ano thread, so I find it easy to logout and let things progress while I do something else. It's fun to visit other random islands and give thumbs up to other players. My only dislike is that the PC version doesn't seem to have the ability for multiple users on the same computer.

Deeisme
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by Deeisme on Sep 10, 13 9:34 AM
[b]What a screwed up game....FREE to play? NOOOOTTTTT.....Start off, if you download this game, you will be FORCED to play it, ONLY while you are on the internet, unlike other BF games....The reason they FORCE you to be on the internet to play it, is so BF can steal your money out of your bank account for the games 'up-grades'....Thank God, I hurried up and un-installed this crap, before BF stole my money. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS CRAP!

[Post New]by flashwitt on Sep 10, 13 4:44 PM
I love the game, but the PC version lacks the social aspect completely, and I'm not sure why. It seems like it should be possible to add friends, referrals, and such, but the option's not there. It offers the option to visit other islands, so obviously it can SEE other players and their progress, so why not let us befriend each other, so we can help one another out with gems? In general, the only advantages to playing the PC version are a bigger screen, and of course, if you don't have a phone or tablet, then you're stuck. I don't, but I got an emulator, (BlueStacks) so that I could try out the App version- and it's got a lot more options. I'm, afraid unless the PC version develops some social options, it's a thumbs down, though I'll still be keeping and playing my version. it IS fun- but without paying a bunch into it, progress is VERY slow.

Katt8
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Katt8 on Sep 10, 13 5:32 PM
I am with TOOKAT! As soon as I realized that to go any further yu have to buy more gems with real money, I logged out and deleted the game. I wonder if ZYNGA created this game. Not for me...

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Sep 10, 13 8:49 PM
This game: Cute. I'm enjoying it so far and looking forward to the full chorus. It is pretty simple but sometimes I am pretty simple-minded. Second childhood!

Free to play comment: To each his own self-discipline. Get two of them and you can "wait" for each one by playing the other one

I've done three of these free-to-plays now (didn't like Found, am still enjoying Farm Up) and my idea is, I didn't pay the $6.99 for the game so, if I get really impatient, I allow myself to spend up to $6.99 to speed things up. That seems fair to me. If everyone played without spending real money, which is possible to do, BF would certainly not be offering the games.

Yeah, and all that said, I agree it's shoddy because it IS aimed to make you want to spend more money than you perhaps ought to. And it's not the $49 items that do it - it's those niggling little $1.99 buys that sneak up on you. If you aren't interested in exploiting people's impatience, youth and/or weakness, Big Fish, why not just offer a version for the regular or even for the CE price and convert stuff now requiring money to purchase into stuff requiring other, game-based currency?

btw, BF is not in difficulties due to these games or CCC; it was the streaming games that were at issue, I believe from reading business news items on the internet,,,

Go to: