bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Magic Cauldron Chaos

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 9, 13 1:37 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of Magic Cauldron Chaos? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Magic Cauldron Chaos page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Magic Cauldron Chaos

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 9, 13 1:37 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 9, 13 1:41 AM
Certainly Chaotic!

BASED ON DEMO

Okay, I admit it, I am not good at these timed games, I get flustered. But this one is stress on hyperdrive. There are sure to be some experts of this genre, though, who’ll find this game easy enough to be fun.

In production terms, this is a very basic game, but surprisingly, you can adjust the aspect ratio in options which greatly improves the visuals. They are, however, low def cartoon graphics, and there is no voiceover for the (lengthy) introduction to the story. You are spun off into an alternate world where the gnomes are friendly and besieged by imps. They can help you get back home, but only if you can help them get rid of the pesky imps.

Music is quite good, upbeat but not the usually irritating few bars.

To explain why this game is not for everyone, I can only describe the gameplay on a level (even the early ones).

You must make potions, cast spells, raise money, collect gems, outrace imps and beat the timer. Once you’ve managed all that, you get a rift stone, many of which you need to get to the next of 5 islands.

POTIONS – there are 5 types of potions to make, each a different colour. To make them you must first build a well and a flower garden, and with each choose a colour for the potion, because once chosen, only that colour can be made on them or go into the cauldron. The annoying thing about this action is that to get these items to the cauldron, you must click on the item hovering over the building then click on the right cauldron, all before an imp gets there.

CAST SPELLS – these are the usual power ups (freeze imps, increase speed etc.). You get them with progress in the game or you can buy them at the shop using the gems you find, but only between levels. They use up your limited supply of magic power.

COLLECT GEMS – this is my favourite bit because I don’t have to do anything other than hover the cursor in the general area to pick them up. They used in the shop.

IMPS – they walk towards your buildings, if they get there before you’ve collected the products, they destroy it (both your water and your ingredients). From as early as level 3, there seem to be an awful lot of them!

NO UNTIMED MODE – no good for me, I’ll be lucky to get more than I have in the demo. I’m already repeating levels.

There are, according to the promo, also puzzles, but I didn't get that far.

If all this complexity seems great to you,

I recommend this game!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 9, 13 1:44 AM
In a bid to save my fellow players wasting time let me just say that ...

Unless you manage to complete a level in at least Silver time you will not be able to advance to the next level but will have to replay that level until you do.

No Untimed Mode = No Buy

[Post New]by wahwomana on Sep 9, 13 4:01 AM
i can not get the game to play it freezes on start up and the only btton i can press is start.

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Sep 9, 13 6:17 AM
cherbtoo wrote:In a bid to save my fellow players wasting time let me just say that ...

Unless you manage to complete a level in at least Silver time you will not be able to advance to the next level but will have to replay that level until you do.

No Untimed Mode = No Buy

Thanks, cherb, for the helpful information. I can deal with games that have timers as long as I am allowed to continue once the time expires. But having to get a silver time in order to continue -- no way! It's a deal breaker for me.

DK

Edited on 09/09/2013 at 6:17:51 AM PST

NormaNorman
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by NormaNorman on Sep 9, 13 7:04 AM
I've not tried this yet, but I wonder if it's anything like King's Smith 2? Or other "make things and sell them" games? Sounds interesting and I liked King's Smith 2 quite a bit.

I'm on a slow connection right now, but I'll download later and try it out.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Sep 9, 13 9:36 AM
Thanks Cherb. I'll pass.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Sep 10, 13 8:34 PM
This game is such a mess that its a wonder how it did even get any stars. I guess ppl are kinder and wanted to give stars to encourage developers to stay away from developing such games, by telling developers just how bad it was.

2 star rating is just the pits, I would have written this game OFF totally, more stinky than a dead shark (no offense to our other esteem BFG members who are sharks, they are the Hot Stuff in our pond)

Edited on 09/10/2013 at 8:36:30 PM PST

heidid
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by heidid on Sep 27, 13 8:11 AM
I have played and enjoyed King's Smith 2...this is nothing like it. Aside from the "beat the imps to the products" problem, you have to first click the place where the ingredient is produced, then you have to click <b>again</b> to select the little gnome and then a third time on his destination with the item. It's absurdly easy to forget one step...in which case the game simply auto-selects one of the gnomes for you. It may not be the one you're planning on sending, and there's no way to intercept them once you click wrongly. Your ingredient is then wasted if it went to the wrong color cauldron.

In addition, you sometimes have to change the target color (of a garden, or the bottle factory, or whatever), and it's not easy to do. The game first assumes you're clicking on the ingredient, making you click multiple times before it gives you what you want, and wasting valuable time when there isn't much to spare in the first place.

I have to agree with those who said this game is a mess. It had potential, i'll say that much - I've been waiting for a TM with an interesting and well-developed concept to appear. Interesting, yes. Too clumsy & frustrating for me, however.

I'll give it a 1.5/5, for effort and the attempt to make something that's not "just another building game copycat". It's really not playable, though.

Go to: