bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Jane Austen's: Estate of Affairs

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 10, 13 1:35 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of Jane Austen's: Estate of Affairs ? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Jane Austen's: Estate of Affairs page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 09/10/2013 at 1:36:56 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Reveries: Sisterly Love

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 10, 13 1:36 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

Re:Reviews for Jane Austen's: Estate of Affairs

[Post New]by nomatt on Sep 10, 13 3:09 AM
Sorry but this game looks very dated and sparkles everywhere stop me trying it more than 20 mins. Haven't sparkles had their day?

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 10, 13 3:13 AM
I Know, I Know, Poor Quality, But I Like It!

BASED ON FULL HOUR DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I know I’m going to be in the minority this time, and I must admit I surprised myself, I expected to be terribly disappointed.

Yes, the graphics are awful and archaic. Ignore them and they mostly go away. It is worth the eyestrain to enjoy the delightful voiceovers alone. And the gameplay is quite good – including 3 types of HOPs, and some interesting riddling couplets. And the story matches the Jane Austen theme quite nicely.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
The blurb says it all – you must save the estate of Jane Austen by finding a missing novel manuscript. You are at war with your cousins over it, and a very mean housekeeper. The untrustworthy neighbour, Richard, with whom you have ‘history’, is a surprising ally though, and you seem to be making progress.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
So yes, expect very poor graphics, they really are terribly done, both in terms of quality and artistry. But they encompass many delightful scenes that overcome their components and are a pleasure to see. The HOs are very clear, and of decent size, although sometimes they are very well hidden. Texture is used well to conceal them.

In direct opposite the voices are spectacular. I believe I can see where the BBC’s input lies. Not only are they well acted and in keeping with the period, they are spoken in a ‘voice’ so like Jane Austen’s narratives that there is a tendency to forget altogether that they are actors from our era. The music is, I think, in keeping with the period – not my area of expertise re. Jane Austen – but I found it irritating.

MAKING PROGRESS
This game is an adventure style, somewhat dominated by HOPs. The 3 types used are interactive lists, silhouettes, and fragment objects. The ‘FROGS’ are not difficult or small so they are okay to do.

There are also riddles presented in rhyming couplets, left for us in scrolls by Frank Austen. These provide answers to tricky locks found about the estate.
There really are no other forms of puzzle. A matching pairs that is quite tricky, construct a keyhole – very different and fun. A lot of dialogue, as you’d expect from Jane.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
this game may seem amateurish and outdated, but who cares? It is still fun, the only real problem is the lack of a walkthrough - I foresee many cries for help in the forums!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Sep 10, 13 4:15 AM
i agree totally with justinthe facts!it is a nice little game,and i liked it much than the first game made with jane auten theme;i played steaight forward and i took very much pleasure even if i know it is not the game of the year!the puzzle with all great books and clues from jane austen's novels is very well done!nice ,but short!worth a CC!

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Sep 10, 13 6:58 AM
nomatt wrote:Sorry but this game looks very dated and sparkles everywhere stop me trying it more than 20 mins. Haven't sparkles had their day?

Agree, sparkles in the hardest mode? WHY?????
Can't enjoy this game for that reason, just too annoying.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Sep 10, 13 8:04 AM
The older look of the game didn't bother me, it seems to fit with the time
period. After full demo, I'm finding it kind of charming. BBC seems to
be using some of their better actors for the voices. I like the variety of
HOs and didn't even mind the FROGs, which are not my cup of tea.

Uncle Frank's rhyming clues are a nice change of pace, and having
a keybox you have to return to is also something I haven't seen before.
No walkthrough is always scary for me, but I'm going to risk it.
When I'm surprised at the demo's end, that usually means I'm lost
in the game, so yeah this will be a PCC purchase for me.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 10, 13 8:06 AM
an excellent game, no map but easy to find your way around

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Sep 10, 13 9:23 AM
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed playing this game. At first it looked very dated but... well as someone else said it fits the period and the sparkles do not bother me in this game as much as they have in others. Definitely a buy for me.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Sep 10, 13 10:07 AM
Nice little game. Try it you might like it to while away a couple of hours

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 10, 13 12:12 PM
One of my favorite books, "Emma" is a work by this famous English author. So, I was intrigued to try this game. I really like this game even if it is old school. This is definitely a dated game; however, it has some more challenging puzzles. If you love more challenging puzzles, you will like this game. Also, it has HOG scenes for those who really enjoy those. Since it is an SE, I will use one of my coupons to purchase. I am not aware of who the dev is; however, it is somehow connected with the BBC. The only thing I dislike are those darned sparkles. I am playing in the advanced mode of play, and sparkles should not be included at this level. It seems to be a short game, which is no problem for me since it has a good storyline and decent puzzles. A nice little surprise for a Tuesday. Now, off to make a "cup o' tea" and enjoy a nice evening playing this delightful game.

Blitzmiz
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Blitzmiz on Sep 10, 13 1:00 PM
Ok in some ways a charming little game - but that's the rub - it's a little game - very short, very easy. Not in any way challenging. The story line is coherent and the graphics - well I've seen a lot worse and a lot better. Don't buy this game if you want to while away more than 2 hours!

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Sep 10, 13 1:41 PM
I agree wholeheartly with JustTheFacts! Dispite the graphics, redundant music and lack of map, I really like this game! It's fun to play and the clothes they wear are delightful.

As far as the hidden object segments, they are varied and not too easy, either. Just right actually. Especially with the drab graplhics....but it's like a period movie and I enjoy it. The first puzzle, the lock, was a bit odd but after a bit, I figured it out and it is different than most.

It's almost like reading a book and maybe because of the less than colorful graphics, it is worth playing, I think. Especially with a PCC.

MHO of course. Enjoy!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Sep 11, 13 6:59 AM
Thoroughly enjoying it. Though I didn't like 'Northranger Abbey' on the book. Yes it's short. Yes it's very clunky. Yes it's very dated. But I have hugely enjoyed all the details. And the puzzles are different. I bought it in the sale. I agree with justthefacts.
I find the thatched cottages and all the flowers lovely to look at.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Sep 11, 13 7:29 AM
this game has surprisingly fun mini puzzles, easy enough, but some are a tad frustrating

controls can sometimes be hair tearing, but overall this game has some saving graces, graphics is so-so and the character just standing there with mouth open and text its just plain stupid

other than that, its a good game to get with a free stamp

Edited on 09/11/2013 at 7:30:57 AM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Sep 11, 13 10:38 AM
I'm really enjoying this game! A great way to spend a game credit, and despite it's flaws, just plain fun. Great story, fun puzzles, and a good mix of HOS. So there's no map! It a SE, not a CE! No voice overs? They usually annoy me anyway, so what the heck. Enjoy!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 11, 13 8:10 PM
Nice graphics and game play. Sound FX are very good and voice are appropriate for the setting and time period. Music is extremely annoying. Hint system is helpful and recovers very quickly.

HOGS and games are very simple. HOGS are clean. Items you pick up in the HOG are not the items you use in the game..some make no sense to pick up in the first place. Locking inventory bar, which is very nice (can't stand for it to jump up and down all through a game).

This game is more for a beginner, or someone who just wants to float through a day. Doesn't look to be very long. This was not a bad game. It was not challenging at all, but interesting enough. I'm going to get it only because I have a credit that is about to expire and I'm very tired of losing them.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

maxminpin
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by maxminpin on Sep 13, 13 9:48 AM
I really like this game. It is quite different from the other games I usually play. The scenes are so pretty. I love anything that has to do with books or programs about Jane Austin. I believe I live in the wrong time. I certainly enjoy movies that has to do with this era. Now all I need is a game about Queen Elizabeth or Queen Victoria. This is a buy for me.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 13, 13 11:08 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game very much. As a Jane Austen fan, I was hesitant to try this game, as some other Austen game I tried, bored me to tears. But this was wonderful. I personally loved the graphics - I thought the rooms absolutely beautiful and the grounds equally gorgeous. One of the mini-games totally stumped me, tho. The one where you had a code (the first code game),no matter, how many times I did it and followed the code bar, it wouldn't solve the game. That was the only one I had trouble with - I thought all the games were very innovative. The HOS (although there were too many for me), were easy and with the three different kinds, it didn't get boring. I give this game !!!! From a devout Austen fan, thank you!!!

feenix

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Sep 24, 13 12:46 PM
I have played a lot of these HOGs/adventure games, and admittedly the tech isn't as flashy as some of the Russian games - but what a refreshing storyline! For me, made up for the graphics. No demons/witches/pentagrams - just an old romantic mystery. Loved it!

Go to: