Time Machine - how does it work?

[Post New]by bearchan on Sep 11, 13 3:09 PM
What exactly does the Time Machine do and how does it work? I tried placing it near my Gold Mine (as well as one of the bakeries) and moved the slider to the "plus" mark, hoping that it would accelerate the timer and complete the task faster. But it didn't seem to have any effect. Soooo, is the Time Machine just to hear the monsters sing faster? Thanks!

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Time Machine - how does it work?

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 12, 13 3:36 AM
Hi bearchan!

Great question as I was a little confused by that feature too!

The Time Machine allows the player to change the pitch and speed of the monsters' singing and movements.

It does not affect the real time game time, such as breeding, incubation or baking time etc.

Hoping this info is useful!

bfgBaikal

GoThDoLL
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by GoThDoLL on Sep 12, 13 4:30 AM
After seeing your reply (Big Fish Moderator) to the question regarding the time machine, sure makes me glad I didn't purchase it right away. At the hefty amount of coins it was going to cost, I could hardly justify purchasing it, just so I could speed up or slow down movement or sound of monster(s) in the game made.. The only redeeming quality it had, was the aesthetics of its image. Pretty cool design, by the way. <Sighs> Maybe when I'm rich and famous and have scads of coins I don't know what to do with, I'll buy one . Thanks for the info <3

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Sep 17, 13 2:04 AM
Sadly, I bought one early on. Really something I wouldn't buy until I was far enough along to have spare coins if I had known that is all it did. Ah well...

unclepaul
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
467 Posts

[Post New]by unclepaul on Sep 17, 13 6:49 AM
I just sold mine for 37500 coins. Was useful to get some reward earlier on, but useless after that.

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Sep 17, 13 11:54 AM
It's just too bad that when we sell something, we get a lot less back than what we originally paid for it. This is not real life so I don't understand why we don't receive the full price back. It's not like these cartoon items have depreciated in value and are sold to another gamer.

phreec
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by phreec on Sep 18, 13 5:19 AM
i was REALLY frustrated and disappointed with this one...
it -does- look cool; it's a metronome! and seeing it on other players' islands, and i wanted (and got) one.
it may be a bit of a spoiler ahead, but better warned...
it never occurred to me whether or not it would effect anything other than the music - i grew up in a musical family, so i'm very familiar with a metronome, lol...but the "warp" function only applies while the machine is -active-. as soon as you click back to the island, all sounds revert back to normal, and when you click back on the machine, the settings are back to default (midline). i think i was most disappointed to find that the speed also changes the sound: faster = higher pitch, slower = lower pitch, rather than just altering the tempo.
would saying that it "ticked me off" be too much?
i ended up selling it after a couple of days (mostly because it took up space i wanted/needed, lol), but it looked cool enough that i might get another at a later time, lol!

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Sep 18, 13 10:01 AM
I was really disappointed in this one too since it doesn't give you anything other than helping to bump you to the next level. At least the warping feature should stay put if you adjust it instead of defaulting back to normal once you move off of it. I decided to keep my clock since it does look cool and I have it placed front and center on my plant island. I wonder if my island has been seen by anyone yet. If anyone sees an island with the clock front and center, you can vote for it so that I can win diamonds if I get into the top ten! Just kidding...sort of.

But beware, the time machine appears again when you go to cold island. I won't be buying one there since I was snookered once already. And a pet peeve of mine...if they could make the minute hand move around, why didn't they do it for the hour hand???

judy1689
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
487 Posts

[Post New]by judy1689 on Sep 19, 13 8:42 AM
LadyDream wrote:Sadly, I bought one early on. Really something I wouldn't buy until I was far enough along to have spare coins if I had known that is all it did. Ah well...

I totally agree with you. It is a waste of money early in the game. I'm not even sure its useful at all. I bought it on plant island, and I find that the preset musical timing is by far the best, so its really just an ornament. A very expensive ornament.

GoalieAunt
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by GoalieAunt on Sep 19, 13 7:11 PM
I bought several before I realized what they did. I'd sell them, but I'd have to deal with a very angry 4 yo, he loves making them go really fast and then really slow. If you don't have a small child to entertain, I'd recommend spending you coin on something really useful like the mine or the unity tree.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Sep 20, 13 3:06 AM
FishyFemale wrote:.. I decided to keep my clock since it does look cool and I have it placed front and center on my plant island. I wonder if my island has been seen by anyone yet. If anyone sees an island with the clock front and center, you can vote for it so that I can win diamonds if I get into the top ten! Just kidding...sort of.

Or possibly it's my island since I also placed the metronome front and center, and tried to arrange the monsters so they are all looking towards it for guidance (not really possible, but close)

I bet we're not the only two to place it there, anyway. It seems like a logical spot for it. Great taste, FishyF!

PS Don't know if this is unique either, but my Plant Island says something

Edited on 09/20/2013 at 3:44:49 AM PST

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Sep 20, 13 5:09 AM
It is rather misleading, I had enough to buy one, but when I realized it didn't speed up my progress bars, as I thought it would it was a bummer. Then I though OK, at least it's cool to adjust the speed of my "song"..when it didn't stay I wondered if it was a bug. Perhaps the developers would consider making the change in speed/pitch stay when you close it? Pretty please?

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Sep 20, 13 8:14 AM
The harpsitree is another useless thing I have on my plant island. I bought it because it was on the goals list and I thought it would eventually appear as one of the likes of a monster there but NOOOO!!!!! According to the likes list posted elsewhere in this game forum, no one on plant island lists the harpsitree as one of their likes. The only monsters I see from that list that likes the harpsitree is Tweedle and Scups, neither of whom live on plant island. I've just hung onto it because it fills up a space on my island but I'll eventually sell it when I need more dough (no pun intended).

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Sep 20, 13 1:43 PM
I "used" my Harpsitree.. I it!

Now you have to find me to find out how and why (and a if you "like" it )

*puts on poker face*

heehee

Off to check my new hatchling!

GoalieAunt
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by GoalieAunt on Sep 21, 13 2:53 PM
FishyFemale wrote:The harpsitree is another useless thing I have on my plant island. I bought it because it was on the goals list and I thought it would eventually appear as one of the likes of a monster there but NOOOO!!!!! According to the likes list posted elsewhere in this game forum, no one on plant island lists the harpsitree as one of their likes. The only monsters I see from that list that likes the harpsitree is Tweedle and Scups, neither of whom live on plant island. I've just hung onto it because it fills up a space on my island but I'll eventually sell it when I need more dough (no pun intended).

I bought one for Plant Island before I knew I wouldn't need it there and I have it placed so it looks like my Shrubb is playing it.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Sep 22, 13 10:05 PM
Yup several Monsters look good playing it.. I also just learned if you click the little view icon in the lower left, you can click on it to "play" it or any other musical decoration you have bought. Silly, but one of those thoughtful but useless touches.

Again.. just like making the Time Machine stay on the speed you set your music to, it would be more usefull and fun to add a little of our own playing, making the tree etc play by how you set it, would be sooo fun!

Time Machine - how does it work?

[Post New]by trekkiecat on Oct 11, 13 9:59 PM
If you speed up the timer, the monsters make money faster. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the breeding or hatching times. At least on the phone. Things work a little different on a computer. I haven't got that far yet on my computer

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Oct 12, 13 7:52 AM
When i saw it i thought it served the same purpose the rest of you did as well...guess i won't be rushing out to burn coins on it unless i have money to blow....

Edited on 10/12/2013 at 7:58:12 AM PST

Go to: