bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Flights of Fancy: Two Doves Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 12, 13 1:38 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of Flights of Fancy: Two Doves Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Flights of Fancy: Two Doves Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Flights of Fancy: Two Doves Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 12, 13 1:39 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Sep 12, 13 1:55 AM
I was seriously waiting for this game. I played the beta version and instantaneously fell in love with the game. Didn't even bother with the trial, bought straight away. The violin playing cricket at the beginning was totally adorable and so is the singing mushrooms. The game is bright and colorful, just gorgeous and I just love the humor in it. I love the two little fairies they are adorable as well. The game is definitely above 5 stars in my book.

Story: Don't have to say much as bfgFlounder couldn't of put it any better

Graphics: Gorgeous. I just stop the game as I usually do with this team and just look.

Music: Extremely well done. Fits the game beautifully.

Mini games: Not too hard or easy. Just right and very enjoyable.

H0S: Ran only into the use the items you find onto other items. I love those.

Hint system: Works very well outside the H0S as well.

Map: Fast travel. Also has the '!' so you know where your objectives are. I love that as well so that way you don't have to depend on the strategy guide as often.

All in all the bunny team did it again with one fantastic game. Kudos to the team!

Sassy

poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Sep 12, 13 2:55 AM
I also beta'd this game and it was great to find it as today's CE! I can't add much to what Sassylassie has already said, other than I had to laugh at the broad Northern accent.........totally unexpected! I too have purchased outright!

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Sep 12, 13 3:01 AM
Well, it's not that there aren't a lot of things to find, do, discover, puzzle out, and explore in this latest ERS offering IF you can get past the insipidly sweet fairy tale and all the little helpers …

Features (term used loosely for some):
Customizable Difficulty level as well as casual, advanced and hardcore
Interactive HOs -- find and use silhouette to find the next and so on
Elf hint arrows -- find them to get an instant hint (you also find and name the Elf)
Fairy helper -- yep, find, name, and then find stuff to dress her up with…
Collectibles.
Artwork is visually impressive as it fits the fairy tale atmosphere to a T
Tasks outweigh HOs and puzzles (although I was very pokey and playing without black bar info; you will probably get further). An early and necessary task requires more than one try
Puzzles fit the theme but are rather simple
Quick travel map shows objectives and completed areas
Diary -- there is a misplaced comma on the very first page; even in fairy tales that is bad.
Achievements
The world's largest cursor

The story:
You are out with William (your husband) at the King's engagement party (or you are engaged to William and the king threw you a party -- it is unclear) when your palace is robbed and someone has stolen your magic dove. The other dove is at the king's place; it was also stolen. The point is you must get them back because people are being turned into tiny statues. This is no ordinary kingdom on a good day. Fairies, elves, singing plants and more are normal occurrences. Black magic left by the thief is making matters much worse.

CE content:
6 chapters plus a bonus chapter
Collectibles and hint arrows locations
replay HOs and other fluff

Honestly, you will have to abandon all adult sensibilities to wander through this and think it's fun. Story aside, the actual game play is not exactly child's play. You will encounter a lot of tasks waiting for inventory items and vice versa. There are several characters to keep track of and from the map, many locations to explore. The HOs require some logic. Play without black bar info and your powers of observation might be tested. IMHO there is just too much "cutesy" here.

Edited on 09/12/2013 at 3:03:14 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 12, 13 3:03 AM
So we have another game from ERS.

To say it is similar to their other games would be an understatement. Sadly, it appears that ERS is aiming more and more for the children's market. And this one would be right up the alley for the small ones. Very small ones. There are fairies, crickets, mushrooms, and other assorted oh-so-cute little creatures and critters. Just not something that would capture or keep the attention of adults for very long. At least, not this adult. And not game after game after game.

But the graphics are very nice, as per usual with ERS.

The puzzles are very simplistic with almost no challenge.

And, of course, the music is just recycled from previous ERS games.

I certainly hold out hope that ERS will get over their "cutesy" stage very soon, and get back to the high quality, adult-themed games they are quite capable of. But, for the kids, it's a winner!

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Sep 12, 13 4:22 AM
I like it and bought it.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 12, 13 4:54 AM
Any Sweeter, I’d Need Insulin

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The title is Flights Of Fancy, the developer is ERS. So I knew exactly what we’re getting here before I started the download. The locations will be beautiful, there will be cute creatures, maybe some truly magical ones, and an adorable companion whom I maybe will dress up or otherwise pamper.

And that’s pretty much the way it is. If you are one of the people who are over cute – RUN! This one is so sweet it’s saccharine. And I still love it.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Gorgeous, gorgeous, fanciful, magical, gorgeous. And of course ERS’s signature hand painted style. The only HO scene I played showed clear and detailed items. The voiceovers are an interesting mix – no two accents the same. I like that, a truly diverse kingdom, of many races. Even the music is pretty, and a good range of ambient sounds.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Returning from the King’s ball, you find your estate in a mess. Your seneschal(?) tells you the inhabitants of your estate have been turned into tiny statues and the magical dove is gone. Evidence points to your neighbour, Count Boss. But while he is known to cause trouble, this level of evil seems beyond him. So we go to interrogate him.

MAKING PROGRESS
There are a few less HOPs than usual in this game. In fact, I saw only one progressive (find & use) silhouette game, visited twice. There are 11 HOPs and 17 puzzles/mini-games in total, according to the extras. Either I’m way tired or this game is more difficult than most, because I needed to check the SG a couple of times to work out the instructions to the new and original puzzles.

I also had a bit of trouble working out where to go, even with an interactive jump map which shows active tasks and completed locations IF you choose. There are several other options available in the custom difficulty settings – including no black bar comments or sparkles. (Perhaps the experts might forgive the cuteness in light of the better gameplay options.)

BLING!
Hint is an elf with an arrow he shoots off in the right direction. You gain extra hints by collecting golden arrows. You also must COLLECT 15 cursed inhabitants as part of the game. Your fairy gains special powers when you find her certain objects.

ACHIEVEMENTS. These are the usual sort of things, and each is represented by a ‘bubble’ inside the fairy’s house.

And all other standard extras.

I recommend this game.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Sep 12, 13 6:57 AM
I LOVE THIS GAME! Thank you ERS for bringing us another fantastic game.
Your games our fun and not overly complicated which suits me just fine. Please don't change what you are doing. It's working!!!!! This is a buy for me for sure!!

Nolaj
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Nolaj on Sep 12, 13 7:36 AM
I love the sweet little creatures. Beats blood dripping off things, but I play them all. I enjoy eye candy.

It amazes me the things these developers come up with and put together. I am getting spoiled as to the beauty of most of the newer games. I look back to the way the games were when I first started playing HOGs about 11 years ago, and it is most amazing.

Have fun with this one and thanks to all the developers for the great games they keep coming up with.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Sep 12, 13 8:21 AM
I agree it is a very "sweet" game to play. I get tired of the gore of some of the games. While I like the ghosts, paranormal, and some of the other themed HOS games, I really enjoy the "lighter" side that this one falls into.

The collectibles are great. I not only enjoy finding X amount of them throughout the game but also the "small" collectibes (i..e. 2 eyes, 3 puzzle pieces, etc) to either get another item or play a puzzle. This game is loaded with them. Each scene has much to do and look at, at least for the time I demoed it.

It is less linear, which means I can wander around and look for items or solve puzzles instead of being forced in one direction. Yes, eventually you have to solve something in a location before you can move on but there is enough wandering around on your own that you can do first.

I'm so pleased that there isn't the warning at the beginning of the game "Turn sound up for best performance" (or however it reads). I find it slightly insulting that I can't figure that out on my own.

It is a buy for me but I will wait until there is a sale before getting it. I am spoiled for wanting to have the SG in the game. While I don't use it much for figuring out what to do next (I have to be really stuck), I do like to use it for some of the puzzles/minigames I come across. I get really perturb though when games do not have a reset button on their puzzles/minigames. If I mess it up in the beginning, then I am stuck and may have to skip the puzzle. I don't know if this is the case with this game or not since I didn't play enough of it in the demo to find out.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Sep 12, 13 8:57 AM
This looks like it will be a great game. I'd much rather have a game like this than all the occult type games we've been bombarded with!! At least there doesn't appear to be anything bad in this one. Thank you, ERS for giving us something without all the demonic characters, pentagrams, etc.!!!

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Sep 12, 13 10:28 AM
When I saw it was an ERS Game, I thought, this is going to be great! And it is really, once you get past the Elf and the Fairy and the fancy graphics and period music, hidden object scenes clear and easy and puzzles that are interesting if not a bit boring.

Actually, I found the game to be all boring, MHO, for me, and though the story is good, everyone turning into stone statues, I couldn't quite grasp the gravity of the situation because of all the sweetness and beauty all around. Even the seriousness of the voice overs didn't show any fear or tripdation.

That doesn't mean, however, that I dont enjoy, to some extent, playing the game or might even (am I under the ERS spell??) consider buying it. Thought not at this monent as I am still coming down off a sugar high.

One thing, the elf bothers me with his bow and arrow: when I need a hint, a lot of times the arrow goes nowhere that I can see, and have yet to find an arrow to refill the hints. But then, I guess I wasn't really looking due to irregular attentiveness. Achievements? Didn't see any but see above sentence.

Guess I am more of a dark and errie kind of grandma.....need a little fire and vinegar to wake me up. LOL. Sorry, no putting down the game or anything, just my opinion for what it's worth. Still might get the game, just not right now.

Is this a review? Guess I'll find out if they move my post to another place.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Sep 12, 13 2:39 PM
Nolaj wrote:I love the sweet little creatures. Beats blood dripping off things, but I play them all. I enjoy eye candy.

It amazes me the things these developers come up with and put together. I am getting spoiled as to the beauty of most of the newer games. I look back to the way the games were when I first started playing HOGs about 11 years ago, and it is most amazing.

Have fun with this one and thanks to all the developers for the great games they keep coming up with.

I applaud your comments. I am sincerely tired of daemons, vampires, pentagrams that I have to place potions in, blood dripping, etc. In desperation I d/l the extremely ancient Magic Encyclopedia games yesterday and enjoyed playing them except my computer is waaaay past those old graphics.

Thank you ERS for an exceptionally beautiful, musical, and happy game.

And last but, certainly not last, would someone please tell me where can I find the bonus chapter. I think I've checked everywhere.

Edit: Nevermind, senior moment I found the BC.

Edited on 09/12/2013 at 2:42:46 PM PST

Teddyfish
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by Teddyfish on Sep 12, 13 3:15 PM
I'm agreeing with anyone and everyone who thinks this game is a great one...a breath of fresh air...while being cutesy...it's also got some very good qualities...and yes, it is another ERS and thank TPTB we still have some of these little gems.

I always enjoy thanking the creators and developers...but, I also thank our Big Fish who continue to make these games available for those of us who still care.

Teddy

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Sep 12, 13 3:36 PM
Me, I guess I like the 'cutesy' stuff...and I am so in love with the beautiful and colorful scenery! It is so refreshing after so many dark and gloomy games, that I spend several minutes just looking around before I begin the 'work' for each scene.

However, I actually turned this off after less than 30 minutes. I'm not exactly sure why, but it just wasn't grabbing me. Perhaps the required tasks weren't clear enough from the beginning, or I'm just off my feed today, but I felt more confused than I normally do. My elf friend wasn't much help, firing arrows into the nothingness, while the fairy insisted she could do nothing w/o magic (and it's beyond me how to assist her with this).

I WANT to like this game, if for nothing else, the visual feast (and did I mention, these cartoon men they've been drawing for us lately are quite um...yummy?), but I think I will just give it another try tomorrow on the chance that it's just me and my funny mood today. I am not accustomed to such cluelessness on my part so early in a game.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 12, 13 4:51 PM
An absolutely wondrous fairy tale from the GamERS. To me this is probably one of the best they have offered this year. You are transported to a fairy tale world full of elves, fairies, magicians, pixies, and my personal favorite, unicorns (I collect them). Love the music in this game. And, of course, I would love to own the white leopard. Too cool! One of the elves reminds me a little of the Elrond, the elf king from Lord of the Ring. Takes me back to the old Magic game days and collecting all those cards. I do not think it is specifically designed for children as some others have stated. Nor do I think is it terribly sugary sweet. This game will not appeal to everyone, but if you love the Tolkein books, you will probably like this game very much. Beautiful graphics. This is a must purchase for me. I haven't purchased many CE's lately, but will definitely purchase this one to play immediately. We all have differing tastes. I have really looked forward to a great game from these devs for awhile. This is definitely a win for me. Judge for yourself.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 12, 13 7:54 PM
Yes, the fairy people and the cute little animals and all are getting a bit old and simple, but in this game, they fit (but singing mushrooms?). I am so tired of blood, guts and gore all the time. Sometimes, you just want pleasant. Don't get me wrong, I do like the others as well, but it's nice to have something like this once in awhile.

That said...the graphics and game play are the usual ERS and quite good. Voice overs are well done and appropriate for the setting and time frame of game (except that the king's future bride sounds like a man trying to sound like a woman). Music is very pleasing and does not play throughout the entire game. There are some sound FX, which are well done, and frequently no sound at all. HOGs and games are very simple...too simple on most of them.

There is a jump map, but nothing is identified, so you need to have a pretty good memory of what each scene looked like or you would be jumping all over the place looking for it. Nice SG, very helpful hint system and quick recovery. I like the fact that you can customize the game play as well. Very nicely done.

I did like this game and have the need to purchase and see where it is going, even though it is predictable. It's just a nice game...animals fairies and all.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 13, 13 1:27 AM
I agree with everyone who loves this game! And thank you for all the great reviews... fabulous job with all the details.

My heart goes out to "Cbtx"...I know this is not for you.

As someone with over 800 games...ERS is one of my favirote game Developers! The graphics are absolutely stunning and breath taking! The storyline is so charming and whimsical. Wounderful job ERS!

I am so tired of the dark and dreary games. Although...I know how many love them. But for me...this is the type of game I want more of.
This is a must buy forsure! And should be tried even if the theme doesn't seem like your cup of tea. Thank you ERS!

I rate this Beauty: "FINE SWINE" all the time!

My "Terms" for Hogs,IHogs,Frogs & Other types of games.

FINE SWINE:
Great game. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog. For true lover's of these types of games

PORK BELLY:
Likable game for some, but not for everyone. But this one is for me.

TROTTER:
Pig's foot, don't run away with buying it. lol

PIG DOWN:
Rolling in the mudd, don't go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 13, 13 3:59 AM
This game is dazzling. I remember how enchanted I was with the beauty of the first Puppet Show and how every new scene had me staring in awe at all the details and incredible artwork... really one of the most beautiful games I had ever seen.

This one tops it. I've only played for 15 minutes but I'm already in love with everything about this. I haven't come across anything "cutesie", it's more like a realistic looking fairy tale, if you know what I mean. (Dad's portrait is hot, who is that?)

The game play is fun, the story and characters are interesting, the music is different (thank you ERS, your later Puppet Show games nearly drove me insane with that repetitive tinkling) and I absolutely love the artwork.

You guys are top of the line, well done.

PS The game downloaded incredibly quickly. The only thing that could have been better is if I had bought this on sale but I didn't want to wait.

Go to: