catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

SE or CE?

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Sep 18, 13 3:39 AM
Just wondering...
The reviews said it was short, so have I made the right choice waiting for the SE?

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

Re:SE or CE?

[Post New]by Janie42 on Sep 18, 13 4:43 AM
It is shortest CE I've played, 4.5 hours incl bonus chapter on hardest mode, no skips, no hints, leisurely playing to "look around."
Bonus chapter is not as well made as rest of game IMHO. Seems kind of thrown together, in fact, & is crazy-short @ < 45 min.
Bonus is not necessary for proper ending either.
I got game in a nice sale, so all was ok. But, I'd have been happiest to use a punchcard free-game coupon on it.
I found it a beautiful game, with some nicely creative settings, great characters & voices, good story & tasks... but... short!
Hope this helps you.

Edited on 09/18/2013 at 4:49:55 AM PST

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Sep 18, 13 5:02 AM
Thanks Janie42, It does help knowing all that. I decided I will get the SE.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Sep 18, 13 5:26 AM
Based on playing the full game and the CE bonus chapter.

Overall I enjoyed the game but it is short. I played the main game in 3 ½ hours. I did not skip any dialogue or any mini-games. I played the bonus game in 45 minutes.

The game play was enjoyable with not too many hidden object scenes. The mini-games or puzzles were about the right difficulty so they were not frustrating. The story was interesting and I really enjoyed the mechanical theme to the art work.

I’m glad I got this game but and I am also glad it was on sale for half price when I bought it because of the short length. As a CE it is not the worth full price of $13.99.

Edited on 09/18/2013 at 5:40:16 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 18, 13 6:45 AM
No dedicated thread for reviews any more? Hmmm... Ok, here's mine anyway.

Steam Punk Lite!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This game is definitely about the fun. Pure fantasy and light hearted in even the most dire of circumstances, it’s a game to bring a smile to your face one way or another. Mind you, if you’ve got a thing against bugs, you might want to give it a miss.

This appealing combination of steam punk and spy game is beset with robots and zeppelins and a great mix of appealing characters. Including the ever-present cat, who isn’t interested in helping you, because, well, “it’s a cat”. And that light touch of humour sets the tone for the whole game.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The game looks excellent. Graphics are top quality, in the locations we have a nicely ‘hand drawn’ snowy landscape with a touch of the cartoon about it. The “HO” scenes are more precise and realistic and are beautifully lit. Music is light, and there’s a lot of earthshaking ambient noise. Voiceovers are a total blast,

WHAT’S HAPPENING
You are a spy – Nice change from the usual detective work! Our mentor is a befuddled Prof. Ink. He is investigating unnatural earthquakes emanating from a remote village, and we get there just in time to see him carried off by a giant robot. Our investigations start with the local villagers, and how nice it is to see a populated town! Every person in the inn has his own story to tell, and his own contribution to make.

MAKING PROGRESS
This is not strictly a HOPA really, but there are puzzles that are a lot like an HOP. We have progressive (find & use) silhouettes, and fragmented objects, and a puzzle board that has you searching for specific items in a dollhouse. Other puzzles are for the most part familiar, but there isn’t a lot of them. Adventure tasks are straightforward, although not always obvious. The hint is directional and there is an interactive jump map. The emphasis is on light hearted fun, not challenge.

BLING!
We have an offsider, now don’t leave yet – he’s not overly cute! He’s a robot crow who can replay videos the prof has made, as well as fetching things.
The CE has a bunch of good stuff – achievements, as well as the usual gallery items, replayable puzzles and really cool collectibles. They are mechanical bugs that move around on the screen, so you have to catch them.

If you’re into the bling! the CE is probably the better buy

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Sep 18, 13 9:17 AM
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to swing by and let you know the reviews thread is now up here if you want to swing by and share your thoughts.

Happy gaming,

bfgSeine

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Sep 18, 13 2:40 PM
I got this one as a CE in a sale and really enjoyed it but...the bonus chapter is quite short and not necessary to complete the storyline. The SG was not really needed as the game play is fairly easy and the mini-games are not hard. The game itself is very enjoyable and I took my time, looked around, didn't skip anything - took me about 5 hours and maybe another hour for the bonus. Without the sale I would have waited for the SE. It is a great game but not really CE worthy IMO.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Sep 19, 13 1:21 AM
I just trialed it again. Very boring, but you should wait for the SE in my opinion.

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Sep 19, 13 9:06 PM
I purchased the CE on the BOGO free sale, and regretted it. I completed the bonus chapter on expert level in 37 mins. The story was a prequel to the main game, and made no sense to me. When the game ended, I had no idea what the point of the story was, so I went and replayed it to see if I missed something. I still was disappointed with the lack of direction and weak story line.

The gameplay was much too short for a bonus chapter.

There were only 3 new scenes in the bonus chapter. Each is revisited.
There are 2 "silhouette find and use" HOS.
There are 4 "find items on a list" HOS.

There are 5 puzzles in the bonus chapter.

Extras:
1. Minigames - you can replay 6 minigames.
2. HOS - you can replay 6 HOS.
3. Concept art - There are 6 concept art drawings.
4. Posters - There are 12 colour posters.
5. Music
6. Collectibles: There are 30 total steambugs to collect. Most of them move, so I found those very easy to locate. There were a couple of well blended steambugs.
There are 11 Hochwald steambugs, 8 Castle steambugs and 11 underground steam bugs. If you do not collect all the steambugs in each area, you cannot go back.
7. Achievements - Several of the achievements can be earned by simply progressing in the game, e.g. highlight (possible spoiler) Get to Barber's castle, enter Barber's underground laboratory, get rid of Barber's myriapod.
Other achievements include:
- Watch 5 cutscenes without skipping.
- Solve all minigames without skipping.
- Complete the game on expert mode.
- Collect 8 Castle steambugs.
- Collect 11 Hochwald steambugs.
- Collect 11 underground steambugs.
- Finish 3 minigames without skipping.
- No more than 1 misclick in a HOS.
- Read 10 pop-ups.
- Finish first FROG puzzle.
- Find first steambug.
- Finish bonus chapter.

Overall, I would not recommend the CE version, even at 50% off. I would strongly recommend the SE version as a DD, COTW or BOGO sale.

Go to: