bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

Reviews for Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Sep 18, 13 9:14 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgSeine

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

Re:Reviews for Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Sep 18, 13 9:14 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

Thank you!

bfgSeine

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Sep 19, 13 12:25 AM
BASED ON COMPLETED CE

I found this to be a good game, but was very disappointed with the length. I would recommend the SE version.

There are voiceovers throughout the game.

There are 3 modes of play: Casual, Advanced and Expert. You can change modes mid-game.

There is a transporter map. Current location and areas of interest are circled in casual and advanced mode. Only current location is circled in expert mode.

HOGs: There are 3 types of hidden object puzzles. The hidden object scenes are clear and I found the objects easy to locate. I would have preferred more hidden object scenes. There were only 8 scenes in the main game, and most were revisited.

1. There are 2 "Find and Use" Silhouette HOGs. There is only one scene, which is re-visited. Silhouettes of the objects are shown, and once you've located the object, it is added to your inventory to be used in order to progress in the scene. I enjoy these, and was disappointed that there were no more in the SE game once you get past the demo.

2. There are 4 fragmented pictorial HOGs.

3. There are 8 "find items on the list" HOGs.

Hint: The hint refills very quickly and does work outside of HOS. It refills in 10 secs in casual mode, 30 secs in advanced mode and 1 min in expert mode.

Puzzles: There are 25 puzzles, which can be skipped in 1 min in casual mode, 90 secs in advanced mode, and 2 mins in expert mode.

There were 2 puzzles that I would consider "different from/ variation of typical puzzles". I am not a puzzle expert, but still I found 20 of the puzzles to be extremely easy, and the rest were of medium difficulty/time consuming. Puzzles experts looking for a challenge will probably be disappointed. Spoiler - highlight to read. Several of the puzzles would be just considered simple interactions in other games, e.g. entering a code, or moving objects around in a suitcase to find an inventory item.

Overall, this was a decent game, with beautiful graphics and cut scenes. However, it is extremely short. I played most of the game in expert mode and did not skip any puzzles, dialogue or cut scenes, and I completed the SE in 3 hours 45 mins. The story began well, but faded as the game progressed. The ending is abrupt and unsatisfactory for me. The bonus chapter does not clarify any loose ends. I would strongly recommend this as a DD, COTW or BOGO sale.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Sep 19, 13 3:10 AM

I Wish I Could Rate It Higher...

This is probably the poorest Artifex Mundi game I have played. Time and time again, we have seen masterpieces from this developer, but this just didn't cut it.

For starters the story was boring. Nothing happened in the demo that shocked or excited me, and the demo did not end well. I usually love a good spy game, but this just didn't cut it. The main story involves the disappearance of Ambrose Ink, who called you, Evangeline Glass, to help him investigate them. However, there was an evil general, which seemed interesting. What killed it for me was the setting. I didn't get the setting, and I hated the accents. They were so poor it kind of put me off the game. Overall, not a very interesting story.

I had some issues with the gameplay too. It's the Artifex gameplay we've come to love, and I enjoyed that and had some level of fun in the game, but I didn't really like the HOS as much as I should have. Instead of the usual junkpile, we instead have Fragmented Object Scenes (FOS) and Silhouette Scenes. I did not find a junkpile scene throughout the whole demo, much to my disappointment.
The puzzles were okay, though, and I thought they were better than the HOS (which is something that's never happened before). The puzzles were fun and challenging at the same time. Although I had to skip one, I still liked them.

The graphics, as always, were outstanding from Artifex. There was so much detail and the character design was outstanding. Everything was clear, and was a visual delight.
However, I did have a problem with the voice-overs. The accents were awful and just drove me up the wall. This took out some of the fun for me, as voice-overs were a key part of the game.

FEATURES
3 modes of difficulty: Casual, Advanced and Hard. Only differences: Hint and Skip Recharge and sparkles. I played Casual, as always.
Hint and Skip- both recharge fast on Casual and the hint is very helpful outside HOS.
Diary. Diary keeps track of events and contains an objectives tab.
No map from what I could recall.

To conclude, I'd have to say this is one of the worst Artifex Mundi game I have played. The game was just downright boring. Not at all like the reviews said.
The demo was an extremely short 22 minutes. This, from experience, indicates a very short game. Most players will be turned away by this, however, I do not judge on length, I judge on quality, and the quality of this game was way below par.

I don't recommend this game

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Sep 21, 13 7:35 PM
I played the SE version of this game in advanced mode. I couldn't tell if it was short or not, because it took me 4 days of playing, a little each day. It had a mix of HO styles - FROG & standard list scenes. The story was very good and imaginative. The ending could have been fleshed out more, but it did have a real ending and not a continuation. Overall, I enjoyed playing it and glad I got it.

sunshinej

Edited on 10/22/2013 at 2:24:21 PM PST

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Sep 24, 13 11:21 AM
another great game from Artifex mundi, It held my interest, which a lot of the games
recently have not ...
The ending as others have said was sudden.... Hey what happened , I shot the nail gun at the robot, got distracted for a few seconds, returned to the game and wow there were the credits I guess I will never know how it ended , so as not to spoil it for all ,PM me anyone and tell me what happened !!!!

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Nov 25, 13 10:27 PM
I just finished this game tonight, it wasn't anything new for game play or story, but I did enjoy it all the way though. The game was nice and long, it was full of many puzzles and HOG scenes. I did like the helping hand with Matthew, it is creative when a game gives you a 'helper.' The story was interesting enough, 'save the world', 'save someone you know', nothing new, but I do like how creative it was. A steampunk-fantasy land was created for the game, and it held my interest.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 17, 14 1:50 AM
catbag8717 wrote: This is probably the poorest Artifex Mundi game I have played. Time and time again, we have seen masterpieces from this developer, but this just didn't cut it.
NIMHURCHU wrote:The story began well, but faded as the game progressed. The ending was abrupt and unsatisfactory for me.

The above quotes are also very true for me.

Had I realized this game would involve so much steam punk and mechanical engineering I would not have bought it, but it wasn't that which made it so boring for me... it was a combination of the story, the silhouette and fragmented object HOGs, plus Evangeline's constant praise of the crow -- the same phrases over and over and over again, which might not seem like a big deal, but after a while, I wanted a padlock for her mouth.

The hints and skips do refill quickly, however, much of the time the map was more helpful than the hints. If you do get this game, I suggest using the map instead of following the directional hints.

Thankfully, I got the game on a 50% off sale. Like NIMHURCHU, I would also recommend getting it as a DD, COTW or BOGO sale.

Go to: