bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Reviews for Cooking Academy: Restaurant Royal

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Sep 19, 13 11:59 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you think of Cooking Academy: Restaurant Royal? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Cooking Academy: Restaurant Royal page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

Edited on 03/11/2017 at 1:45:52 PM PST

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Re:Reviews for Cooking Academy: Restaurant Royal

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Sep 19, 13 12:00 PM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

[Post New]by BlueEyedKat on Oct 10, 13 5:52 PM
Cooking Academy has always been a "gem" of a casual game. A nice zen-like powerhouse of repetitive kitchen-ish tasks that could calm my crazy mind and steal hours at a pass. It afforded a zen like happiness and occasional finicky difficulty that made it a guilty pleasure game.

Sure, I was making gingerbread men.. But look how many cutouts I fit on my sheet of dough?

This version is lovely, but went Zenga with in-app purchases. I've already invested a sizable chunk of change and realize the minigames aren't much of a challenge, the cash dollars to buy the really good upgrades are not available without using real-world dollars.

The game is more like a tamagotchi. Needing care and feeding every few hours for best results.

That model is fun enough, but I won't be investing any more actual dollars into the game. It takes too many dollars to get too little, I can't truly attain it all in the game without $400-$500 more US real world dollars or wait months for the stingy reward system to payoff and that makes me sad. Mastering a casual game shouldn't cost the same thing as the car payment for a Mercedes. It's the whimsy you add to your life, not the thing you take a part time job to fund.

In the end if the next Cooking Academy uses this model, I'll probably skip it unless I hear that the reward system is built in a more achievable manner. In-app purchases are great if they unlock things a little faster or make life a little easier. In this case without in-app purchases it will take months to get the $400 game dollars for the gold utensils. That seems like too much of a long game for something that was just suppose to be a little guilty fun.

[Post New]by Lnitefall on Dec 29, 13 7:44 PM
This started out as a fun game. I liked how you could even play off line. However it changed and all the cooking times were shortened. Not much of a problem in most cases. However they have NOT shortened any of the mini-game animations, such as Caramel Peanuts. Doesn't matter how fast you select the correct peanut, the animation takes so long that you won't get credit for the last selection. I've used the Customer Service contact us asking if this was going to get resolved at any point, no response at all.

So in essence great game at I first then you realize they are intentionally making things impossible without spending LOTS of real world money. Not worth the aggravation.

grusum2sum
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by grusum2sum on Apr 1, 14 11:02 AM
I have played the other "Cooking Academy" titles.. and loved them. Like Cooking Mama on nintendo etc......... chop, chop slice slice etc..... think I would have rather this game had stayed in that vein rather than "free to play". Have played for over 2 hours now, and not a single buck left by the customers after the tutorial version. Am really disappointed and will be deleting the game..... I can find games that are free to play, but cost you a fortune in real cash on Facebook. However if this game is released as the other titles were I would definately buy. DON'T TRY AND FIX SOMETHING THAT ISN'T BROKEN

Edited on 04/01/2014 at 11:03:52 AM PST

goeash
Koi
Koi
83,226 Posts

[Post New]by goeash on Apr 6, 14 5:59 AM
I have enjoyed the other Cooking Academy games, and played them several times, but this one I am afraid I don't like at all. I'll give itto the end of the free hour, but I feel I will be deleting and not buying.

[Post New]by fifi759 on Apr 6, 14 8:47 AM
fun at first, but now held hostage by the in-game purchases. come on big fish, isn't the monthly subscription plus the game purchase plus the info rentals enough? wow. will be deleting.

meighannc
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by meighannc on Apr 9, 14 8:17 AM
I left a review on the main page, but having now played for several days I have decided to include a more detailed review here.

Things I really like about this game include the format and the whimsy of it. Most of the challenges are fun and easy to complete with patience. My three year old loves watching the people come in and out while I am doing chores and what not. The classic cooking academy items are still as great as they were in the first three.

Things that could use some improvement. Bucks come a little too slowly and I for one refuse to sink an endless amount of funds into a game. The daily challenges flat stink in that more often than not they are impossible to complete without spending bucks which would eventually equate to real world dollars. The format of the game is great and if it was a purchase and play with reasonable rewards for the challenges and bucks coming a little quicker then I would have purchased it right away. However the free to play format makes it not worth the money. Unlike others I will not remove the game yet as I want to have patience and see if I can accomplish end goals of the game without ever purchasing a buck. If in a week or so I find that this is impossible then I will more than likely remove the game. I am a SAHM and so am able to check on my game inbetween chores during the day. If you are unable to check the game several times a day then do not bother downloading it as it will only annoy you.

A side note to bigfish - the biggest issue with the free to play games is that I already budget my entertainment dollars and that is one reason I am a member of bigfish to begin with. If some of these free to play games maybe allowed you to purchase some ingame items using your already purchased tokens, I might actually spend a few of them to add to my enjoyment of the game. As it is I will not spend real world dollars on a game when I have tokens sitting waiting to use because the games that are my favorite like Cooking Academy and World Mosaic now have a model that does not allow me to use my tokens to purchase and enjoy them.

sheneya
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by sheneya on Apr 20, 14 12:26 AM
As the game starts it's fun and similar to others like it, but you quickly run out of bucks, even though the game says that the customers sometimes leave bucks as a tip. I've been watching the tables for long periods of time, and aside from once, I haven't seen any buck tips at all and no bucks have shown up during the breaks when I'm off the game. And I've watched the tables for 20 minutes to check.

There is also a profound lack of coin based upgrades, including, most severely, expansions. The game expects us to be able to fit all the items needed for cooking into what is already too small of an area, then pay real cash to expand the area, or wait who knows how long to try and collect the customer buck tips, which are incredibly rare.

While all of these are a problem, the game itself is playable and mostly enjoyable. I also understand that the game itself only came out a little while ago, and probably requires some fine-tuning.

I'll stick with it for a while longer, and hope the developers make the game more fair on their players.

But I won't wait too long.

ali133
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by ali133 on May 17, 14 2:07 PM
I too have played the other Cooking Academy games and enjoyed them very much but this game takes it to a whole new level. It is very difficult to get bucks without spending more than what you get back but I guess that is the point. The daily challenges are usually impossible. How can you sell 17,000 custard tarts in 22 hours when it takes 3 plus hours to make them?!! I have spent a lot of money on this game and I am disappointed in myself for doing so. I know understand the complaints about children spending money on games on their mobile devices. As a PC user pay as you go games are pretty new to me and not one I wish to repeat. I have just posted a comment about the fact I spent 70 bucks on giving my restaurant more space but was unable to add more counters or tables as I was at my limit! What is all that about? Am I missing something? If so would love to hear about it.

[Post New]by JazzypoohMarie on May 28, 14 6:59 PM
I'm sorry, but this game is boring...i was expecting it to be like the other Cooking Academy games...when i heard a new one was coming out, i got really excited, but the disappointed when i saw the game play!!! And this game seems like it never ends, and all i do is wait for food to cook, and boom that's it...I've spent more money on this game then anything...smh, just to make it go by faster

[Post New]by JazzypoohMarie on Jul 6, 14 5:55 PM
I didn't have to purchase the game which was cool... but I've spent so much money and i wish it were more like the other installlments...this one is really boring...it seems like it will never end...its like the only way to beat it to keep spending your own money!!!

Talula44
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by Talula44 on Jul 25, 14 4:02 PM
I've been playing for a couple weeks, and I really like it. I had 2 Cooking Academy games going on 2 different computer profiles, so while I was waiting on one game, I could go check on the other. Unfortunately, my computer crashed and I lost one of the games, but I think I've figured out how to save the file so that I'll have a backup if that happens again.

I don't understand why people spend real money on the game, since I haven't spent a penny and get plenty of enjoyment out of it. I'm on level 30. I enjoy trying to build up my coins & dollars for the upgrades... I like the satisfaction of earning them through gameplay, not buying them with real money. And no, the customers don't leave you dollars often, but I do think I'm seeing it happen a little more frequently on the higher levels. The best way to earn dollars is the daily challenges. Stow all your appliances but the one you need for the challenge and fill all of your appliance slots with the same appliance, then crank out tons of the needed food at once. I've seen a quest for cornbread quite a few times with a 16 dollar reward, so now I always keep one oven running with cornbread, since they take so long to cook. I can't seem to fulfill that quest unless I have one cornbread already in the works when I get the quest. 16 bucks is the highest daily reward I've seen through level 30. All the others seem to be for 4.

The actual slicing, boiling, etc of the food can get pretty repetitive when you're trying to get to the next level on a particular dish, but overall I get a lot of enjoyment out of trying to earn money to upgrade all my kitchen items, and fulfill quests. And I like alternating playing the game with household tasks in my real life... if I have to wait 20 minutes for a dish, I can set a timer and go do chores till my dishes are prepared, then come back, take a break & reset my ovens.

Good game!

[Post New]by Sweets14 on Nov 27, 14 5:57 AM
Hello I have been playing for awhile now its fun and addictive game Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

flakey1
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by flakey1 on Jan 31, 15 1:07 PM
Interesting that the BF mod hasn't been here since September.... 4 months with no comment?

[Post New]by heather1027 on Feb 3, 15 7:15 PM
Ive been playing this game 4 a lil over 2 yrs now. ive leveled up as high as it will go and ive run outta recipes. is this it?

[Post New]by kentuckyredhead on Mar 24, 15 8:42 PM
First it takes to much us dollars to play or you have months in it or both as I do...finally hit a challenge that takes 22 hrs to cook and you have 22 hrs to finish so I had to go for the weekend put more than enough of them on just to make the money and it was worth whopping bucks...shut the game down and came back and it had ended. got the four bucks on sausage lol but the 50 bucks just went away. Bf did give me a replacement game but just not the same know what i mean. That was the second issue.
If your going to spend bucks I would recommend spend it on the bonus ones. Faster cook time would be the one. You will make money faster and finish challenges quicker and wouldn't need as much real buck. but for that you might just buy a game lol free to plays aren't really free.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Apr 6, 15 10:37 PM
I liked it until I realized that it involves tons of real cash just to play the game.

Isn't the fee we pay for Game club enough? This game really stinks, like most your "free to play" games do.

Go to: