bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Reviews for Twilight Phenomena: Strange Menagerie

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Sep 20, 13 8:31 AM
Hello Everyone!

What do you think of Twilight Phenomena: Strange Menagerie? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Twilight Phenomena: Strange Menagerie page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Re:Reviews for Twilight Phenomena: Strange Menagerie

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Sep 20, 13 8:31 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Sep 20, 13 8:24 PM
I stopped the demo with seven minutes left. For some reason I thought this game from a popular developer was kind of silly, and I got bored with it quickly. I particularly didn't like the raccoon helper that I had to keep feeding. Unlike Elf, the dog in another game series, who's always eager to help, the raccoon has to be fed first.

This game did have something I've never seen in any other game -- you can pick how long the hint and skip buttons take to refill and turn off the black bar hints. Since I hate puzzles, being able to shorten the wait time to skip down to ten seconds was a definite positive for me.

I experienced a glitch that locked up the game and forced an A-C-D, and the cursor seemed a little wonky at times.

It won't be a buy for me, but I do think it's definitely worth a try because of an intriguing story and nicely done graphics.

jfrrt
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by jfrrt on Sep 22, 13 4:36 PM
Definitely try it. I bought it after 30 minutes of demo. It has a serious story line once you get into it.
The raccoon is cute and it was easy to figure out how to feed him. After you feed him you will usually get one or 2 items that you need. It is kind of like an animated hint button.
The puzzles haven't been difficult and so far most of them are unique.
There aren't a lot of HOS but enough to feed the addiction.
I have been playing for at least 4 hours and according to the map, still have about 1/2 of the game to play. OK, I tend to be kind of slow.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 23, 13 10:22 AM
Engaging & Fun

BASED ON FULL DEMO

I loved “Calavera: Day Of The Dead”, did you? If the answer is yes, you are sure to like this one. It has that same offbeat style, and Central American locales and theme, done as only ERS can do. If, however, you are a great fan of the first “Twilight Phenomena”, you may not be so excited about finding HO scenes in this one. But they’re colourful and varied, with the option to play an interesting and challenging mini-game instead, and well-integrated into the game’s world.

The other puzzles are also varied and enjoyable, and I didn’t find any of them either too difficult or too easy, there is a nice mix. The adventure gameplay can be a bit odd at times, but there is a directional hint, and an interactive jump map, plus the journal. We also have an assistant (yes, he’s cute, and funny, and in the CE version, you can dress him up in costumes). He is not helpful, though, unless you feed him!

The game also has many options for you to customise the difficulty level regarding sparkles, black bar help, hint and skip.

The game starts with a character breathlessly telling us of the trouble she has found herself in – which turns out to be becoming an willing part of an experiment using the DNA of animals in humans. For once, we arrive at the scene without having crash landed something, with a simple page of paper outside the front of the house our friend is, presumably, in. Our arrival is a bit daunting anyway though, as the occupant of the house shoots a tranquiliser dart at us!

I am still of two minds about whether the CE or SE is the better game. I guess in the end it comes down to how much you enjoy the bells and whistles of achievements and collectibles and dressing up the raccoon.

I recommend this game!

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Oct 11, 13 6:42 AM

Bought and played. Just a time filler game, nothing to get excited about.

Graphics were okay, scenes, hidden objects, puzzles, and voice overs all acceptable.

Probably more of a beginner game as there didn't seem to much about it to grab the attention.

Quite a disappointment from these devs, I was surprised.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Dec 30, 13 8:40 AM
an ok game, loved being able to set the hint/skip recharge to the time that suited me

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Sep 14, 14 11:46 AM
Based on completed game:

The story is interesting and bizarre. Graphics are as always, brilliant and typ. of ERS' standard. HOPs were fun as were some of the puzzles. From here on, it's all downhill..... I should have played the full demo but bought it thinking it was ERS, so, it must be good. Boy, was I wrong!

A tiresome game full of illogical and almost nonsensical steps being passed off as 'game play'. The transport map was pointless - instead of showing active tasks, it showed all remaining tasks. Some steps/ solutions were so crazy that only the deep minds of the Devs. could fathom how or why.

The custom 10-sec hint & skip button proved to be a lifeline. Using endless amounts of hints makes me lose interest.....that's not playing or using your imagination or even any fun, it's just hand-holding while showing you pretty pictures!

The aggravation continues thanks to breaking up of clues for copious amounts of back-and-forth (the usual gimmick to extend game play). Each time I released 1 item from the inventory, off I went through another 3-5 locations for the next part and repeat. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

I don't like slamming a game down this hard because it represents someone's hard work. But, this one deserves it. If nothing else, for the hope that ERS doesn't lower their standard (of otherwise excellent games) any further. So disappointed!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 20, 14 9:17 AM
Played entire game (SE), and agree with alot of the comments by other reviewers. I thought the story line rather silly and not up to ERS standards, although maybe they were going for a game to attract younger players? Anyhoo, I thought the graphics very colorful and interesting, the mini-games, with the exception of moving the humans and the animals to the blue and green squares ( I skipped everyone of them!), fun to play and overall, not a bad time. I would recommend this game for younger players, however.

feenix

mpicot
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by mpicot on Oct 3, 14 5:36 PM
Almost done with game but stuck on the frog puzzle and unable to continue.
How do you solve the frog puzzle? There is no skip button and the hint button doesn't help. Where is the skip button?

Go to: