bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Mystery Age: Liberation of Souls

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 23, 13 12:29 AM
Defeat the Chaos God in Mystery Age: Liberation of Souls! The treacherous god of chaos has fled to the east, conquering an entire desert kingdom in his wake. Every man, woman, and child who got in his way became trapped in a mysterious orb, including you! Now you find yourself in a strange realm, where villagers have been turned to things like plants, ice, and scarecrows. To free them, you must defeat the Chaos God once and for all! But watch out – his minions are hiding around every corner! Overcome their evil and escape from the orb in this exciting Hidden Object adventure!

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

Re:Mystery Age: Liberation of Souls

[Post New]by nomatt on Sep 23, 13 2:07 AM
Does the game forum not come up for an hour to make sure people play the demo? It doesn't work.
I played the game for three minutes. I know that a lot of people think that's unfair but, the game seems very old fashioned with dull, poor graphics. The main reason I only played a little though was the sparkles, they are all over the place and there is no option to turn them off. I thought games had moved on from that a long time ago? In fact there are almost no options at all. Like I say, I lasted three minutes then deleted it. Not for me even if it was free, sorry.

ElderJen
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by ElderJen on Sep 23, 13 2:53 AM
I find it a nice little easy going game... nothing amazing but colourful and lost of HO's. It's a buy for me.

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Sep 23, 13 3:06 AM
I agree, most new games have moved way past this game in features. I'm not fond of HINT buttons that do not help you navigate and go no furhter than say "There is nothingto do here."

However, I also agree with you that playing 3 min. of the demo is not fair. I didn't like the intro either, but after finishing the full hour I purchsed the game.

If you really have a problem with sparklies, then this gamne is not for you, they don't bother me.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 23, 13 3:22 AM
I'm not a fan of sparkles either but there was no option to play any other way, so I put up with them and eventually they kind of faded into the background. Of course the HOS still sparkled brightly but I expect that in a Standard Edition game and this one is not pretending to be anything other than that. I played the full hour and I agree with ElderJen; it's a nice little easy going game.

The HOS are a mix of FROG's and the standard list type. The FROGS's were highly inter-active; complete an item to get a part for another item and so on until you are given the inventory item you need. I love fragmented hidden object games anyway, so these HOS were right up my street but not every search was like this. A good mix which should keep those that don't like FROG's reasonably happy! There are quite a lot of HOS but the list type are so easy I got through them very quickly.

Puzzles were less frequent than the HOS; aside from one (the fountain, which just got on my nerves!) most were not overly difficult but not ridiculously easy either. The graphics were nice enough and certainly didn't seem 'poor and dull' to me. No voice-overs and no widescreen but as I said this is just an SE so not unexpected. As for the story, bfgFlounder has described it far better than I could

For me it's worth a PCC and I found it far more interesting to play than Saturday's CE. It's a buy for me too.

ETA: There were a few images of the 'satanic' type in one HOS; personally I don't have any problem with pentagrams etc but I know there are some that do. There was no interaction with anything, just the images.

[Post New]by ozzielozza on Sep 23, 13 3:24 AM
I liked the mix of FROGs and HOGs and the clear graphics, but was not impressed with the map (not interactive), but also the directions that the "blinking scene" shows me where I am. I counted 4 "blinking scenes" at the one time. I would love to be in 4 places at once. Apart from that one tiny detail - it's a buy for me.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 23, 13 3:37 AM
Ozzielozza... the one which blinks the fastest is the one where you are. The other ones blink slightly less fast. LOL

[Post New]by ozzielozza on Sep 23, 13 4:11 AM
Thanks Valdy, these 60+ year old eyes did not pick up that detail. Now, if I can only get my aged eyes to co-ordinate with my 21 year old mind, and still be in 4 places at once, I will be invincible. PS - have always loved and rely on your reviews.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Sep 23, 13 8:01 AM
Hey Valdy

Have you reached the mushrooms if so how did you get to the top of the mushrooms.I've tried everything in my inventory and still no luck.

aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by aalaurie on Sep 23, 13 8:34 AM
I still have 39 minutes left on the demo and the game has glitched 3 times (once it threw me out to the desktop).

This is a no buy for me. Uninstall - here I come!

molly539
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by molly539 on Sep 23, 13 11:07 AM
Made it halfway through the demo and got stuck. Hint is useless outside of the HOs - I've revisited every scene and keep getting told "nothing to do here" so I have no idea what to do next. Will probably have to check out a walkthrough in order to finish the demo.

Graphics are nice and clear. I like the FROGs I've encountered so far. Music is OK - fits the mood of the game. Didn't like how long it took for the cutscenes to play although it might not have been as annoying if there had been voiceovers for them. I always play on casual/easy/normal modes in games so the sparkles don't bother me (I'm a glitter girl so sparkles are a plus in my book).

I like what I've played so far in the game but that useless hint button is almost a deal breaker. I'll wait until I've completed the demo to decide whether to buy or not.

alowan
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by alowan on Sep 24, 13 1:37 PM
Based on the whole game, which took me about 5 hours, in casual mode.

On the whole, I enjoyed this game. The graphics are lovely, and I liked the story. There was hardly any bad logic. (I don't like having to rely on the SG or walkthrough to tell me what I have to do next.) I only used the WT to find things I missed - and that's just the way I like it.

The game play was fine, and the HOS were just my speed. And when I did wind up using the hint once or twice, the objects were in plain sight. The devs did not use any of those tricks I think of as cheating. Hooray! (And I'm not annoyed by the "nothing to do here" type of hints. While guidance arrows are fine, I don't like the hints that tell you exactly what to do next.)

I could do most of the puzzles, which is a big plus for me. There were a few that I was too impatient to finish - and in some cases the directions were too skimpy. (We won't mention how my brain simply refuses to process circle puzzles...)

I didn't miss voiceovers. I'd rather read than listen.

I was annoyed that, every time I had to re-start the game, I had to sit through most of the opening cutscene again while the game loaded.

I also found the hint to be a bit too slow reloading.

Not having an interactive map was a pain; I don't like having to endlessly click backwards and forwards. Outside of that, the map was good, once I figured out that I was in the picture that was quietly flashing - the background, not the explanation points. and, unlike some other maps I've seen, it's accurate: I could look at it and tell that I needed to click back 3 times, then go left.

I ran in to a couple of glitches that I posted in the tech thread. (Both were fixed by rebooting the game.)

Yes, it's kind of old-fashioned, and lacked some bells & whistles - but I didn't miss them.

Overall, though, I enjoyed it, and will probably play it again.

lornaovenden1
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lornaovenden1 on Sep 25, 13 7:21 AM
What's a FROG? What does it stand for?

Go to: