Guess I'm on First today

Morning/Evening fishies

Edited on 09/25/2013 at 9:14:47 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Into The Haze

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 25, 13 4:15 AM
Nice Little HOGlet

BASED ON HALF HOUR DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
There is a no-nonsense attitude to this game. The intro consists of developer credits, then it is straight to the main menu. You get a little information on the story, then you are into your first HO scene.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are okay. Nothing flashy or exciting, but clear and detailed and well lit. However, there is not much animation anywhere in the game. There are 30 locations, and you soon find yourself collecting inventory all over the place – unfortunately I didn’t think to count how many were in the demo, but quite a few. I think you can bet on this being a fairly short game.

There is very little in the way of cut scenes, and less still of dialogue. Opening remarks are dubbed, but from there on mostly no voiceovers. The voices are reasonably believable. Music is nice but forgettable, ambient sounds are okay.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Unlike the blurb’s assertion, it is your niece, not your daughter, that you set out to rescue. They got the evil (?) sister-in-law right. Not that it really matters, because the story is sketchy at best. You really don’t have the feeling of being involved in a specific quest at all. It is the game’s weakest aspect.

MAKING PROGRESS
As I said, this is a nice little HOG. There are puzzles & mini-games (12 according to the demo ending remarks), but what I saw of them were all very very simple and familiar. Which is not to say they weren’t fun. The HO scenes (10 only, but felt like more because you visit them twice) were very nicely done. the hidden objects were clearly visible, and a decent size. The lists were not interactive.

Adventure gameplay was very simple and kept up a steady pace. However, there was no map, the journal only gave you a summary of story after the event. There is a directional hint, which is enough. Two difficulty levels, but just different times for hint and skip.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
Well, for a stand-alone SE, this is pretty good. I would definitely be buying it. For light entertainment, or for beginners on the adventure or puzzle side of things, this game is a must. Just a very pleasant experience.

I recommend this game!

flossytj
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by flossytj on Sep 25, 13 6:39 AM
I played a whole 6 minutes of this game, and gave up. The sound quality was terrible, it sounded like someone gargling water!! It might have turned out to be an ok game, but guess I shall never know.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Sep 25, 13 8:18 AM
Once upon a time there were HOPA games that first came out and thrilled us with creepy stories, hand drawn artwork, relatively good graphics and sound, standard junk-piled HO scenes that were NOT iteractive and fun mini-games where you needed some patience to solve. Into the Haze by **** brings nostalgia back to us with this very rudimentary game that offers no bells or whistles but a straightforward game that may please beginners.

You have two play modes to choose from, no sparkles and black bar tips that will hold your hand throughout the game. A journal that outlines the story and really that is about it.

I personally will pass up as I can always go back and play the earlier games in my archive. However if you enjoy HO scenes and a good story about a malevolent fog, dark magic and the supernatural, this may just please you. If you have a spare game credit then by all means, this game is good but far from being great like some of the SE games that we get today.

Zork1
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Zork1 on Sep 25, 13 8:31 AM
I like it. Lots of HO scenes, but I've been playing adventure games lately....
Wish it had a jump map
Will wait 'til next week and get it during the new month.
Try it. Not too easy, not too hard, lots of running about but fun!

ps -
Had no problems with the sound and have nothing special in the way of sound cards or extras on my laptop.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Sep 25, 13 9:13 AM
Heya All, thanks for putting the review thread together! I'm going to go ahead and sticky it with the information!

What do you think of Into the Haze? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Into the Haze page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Sep 25, 13 9:15 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Sep 25, 13 3:11 PM
I'm enjoying the game. The graphics are great and put me in a Halloween mood! Music is pleasant and I haven't found it to be garbled. All in all, a nice little Hog, which flows smoothly.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Sep 25, 13 6:57 PM
i'm rather enjoying this little no-frills game! i have never cared for maps and the like, preferring to make my own maps, notes etc.

i like the graphics, the ambient sounds, the music. it's not a difficult game, but it IS fun!

and yes, i noticed that the old chevy-looking car morphed into a completely different colored VW bug upon close-up, so maybe there ARE morphing objects!

so, i will happily use a PCC to purchase this game... especially since i don't care about bells and whistles and silly pets to dress up and name! this game has none of that and that makes me happy!

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Sep 26, 13 5:21 AM
accept for the fact that theres no interactive map, this HOGPS had all the bells and whistles, (w/o collectibles, cutesy animals )

Mini puzzles, easy to find objects, detailed scenery and great storyline, I love it, recommend free stamp (if u are pure CE fan) or just buy already

Edited on 09/26/2013 at 5:22:55 AM PST

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Sep 26, 13 5:59 AM
With the "mixed bag" of reviews and comments, I wasn't expecting to like this game very much. But I'm happy I tried the demo to form my own opinion, for I quite enjoyed the 40 minutes I played of it.

While, as others have mentioned, it doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" of many recent games I've purchased, I found that I wanted to keep playing. I liked the graphics and the voices that I've seen and heard so far. The music is pleasant, which is a plus to me. I find that many games have music so irritating that I soon mute it completely.

The puzzles I've encountered so far have been simple but still entertaining.

Since I like a wide variety of game genres and styles, I definitely plan to buy this SE offering or use a credit or coupon for it.

I recommend you give it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised!

Classicaljazz

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Sep 26, 13 9:50 AM
As an experienced player of this kind of game, I agree that it's very easy and is ideal for the beginner. However, I also like playing these simpler games just for the fun of it when I need a breather from reality for a few hours. There's just a little too much handholding for my liking, but otherwise it's pretty to look at and fun to explore. You don't need a map of any kind because the hint works outside of the HOs and will direct you to where you need to go. I just wish these "60 minute" demoes actually lasted that long. I finished in just under 30 minutes and wonder how long the entire game actually is. I'll probably spend a free game coupon on it sometime.

Edited on 09/26/2013 at 9:52:18 AM PST

maizijane
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by maizijane on Sep 26, 13 2:42 PM
The sound was garbled for me, too. The game was pretty boring and the puzzles pretty easy.I did like the story, though. Gets me ready for Halloween.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Sep 26, 13 10:58 PM
The sound was fine for me, but the cursor was a little bit jittery. The artwork is pretty standard but nice. Objects are not difficult to find although some require a bit of patience. Hint and skip buttons refill in a short amount of time in easy mode. Like others have said, this would be a good game for beginners. I got bored and stopped playing the demo after 26 minutes, but I'm not sure if it was really the game or if I'm getting burned out on these games and need to take a break.

I do recommend trying it.

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Sep 27, 13 12:38 PM
I had a few problems but then things started working out. It is a good and I will recommend it!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 28, 13 10:51 AM

Sound was garbled for me as well. Turned it off.

When I got to the cemetery, the cursor disappeared so I could not continue.

will never know.

ETA, uninstalled and reinstalled game. Sound was still garbled, but I was able to play to the end of the demo. However it only took 32 minutes to get to the end and I am not a fast player.

I cannot recommend this game

Edited on 09/28/2013 at 11:20:19 AM PST

poppy45
Clownfish
Clownfish
834 Posts

[Post New]by poppy45 on Oct 2, 13 4:50 PM
bfgDeveron wrote:Heya All, thanks for putting the review thread together! I'm going to go ahead and sticky it with the information!

What do you think of Into the Haze? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Into the Haze page <a href="http://bigfi.sh/18WGafN">here</a>.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article <a href="http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1872">Big Fish Game Reviews</a> for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/0/257956.page#5535248>here</a>.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 17, 14 11:29 AM
Today's DD:

I really like this game! It's straight-forward, nothing fancy, no bells and whistles. But I still really like it.

Sometimes an obvious inventory item can't be used for some reason.
But I still really like it.

I think the graphics are pretty good and I love the music during the HOS and puzzles.

I've enjoyed the puzzles I have encountered so far. The HOS are not difficult, they are not junkpiles, and items are not tiny or just a little corner peeking out.

There is no rapid click penalty.

There is no cutesy animal helper!!

It is a tad creepy - I love creepy!!

Sometimes I like an easier game. Today I'm sick and it's nice to have a game to relax, when I don't have to think too hard.

At a DD price, this is a steal.

So I have purchased this game and am looking forward to playing it all.

Happy gaming!!

Go to: