LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Challenge Mode - getting all the red gems to get gold

[Post New]by LizzieK on Sep 27, 13 5:48 AM
This is one of the most challenging games I have played in the Challenge Mode. I had to be really persistent and play some of the levels scores of times to get the red gems and get the gold level on all of these levels.

There are 5 Rocks and each Rock has 7 games around the outside and one in the middle. You have to get the red gem on all 7 of the outer games to unlock the game in the middle. The first 3 Rocks are challenging but not overly difficult but I found Rocks 4 and 5 extremely difficult.

Several times I got so frustrated with the game that I deleted the icon from my desktop and decided not to play it any more. Then after a break for a day or two I would decide to try it again. It has kept me busy for the past three weeks. After getting all gold in the challenge mode, I am continuing in the other modes in order to get the other achievements.

The best strategy I found on the difficult levels was to play in windowed mode. That way you can click on your desktop outside the game area and pause the game. With the game paused you can look for matches and plan strategy to get matches of 4 or 5 gems to create fire gems or Phoenix gems.

I used the Flame helper pretty much as soon as it charged up if I didn't have a lot of good matches on the game board. You can wait to use Flame and it will get stronger but I preferred to use it more often in order to change up the board and get different match possibilities.

Sometimes winning a level is a matter of luck. It depends on how many matches of 4 or 5 gems you can make and that sometimes depends on the luck of the board.

The most difficult level for me on the last rock was the one where you have the colored balls rolling out at the top and you have to make matches of those colors to destroy the balls. The level starts out slow but gets very fast at the end and the score you need is difficult to get. I really had to pause that level a lot and plan as much as possible to make matches of 4 & 5 gems in order to get the score high enough to get the red gem. I played it a gigillion times before I finally got the red gem.

Edited on 09/28/2013 at 1:37:39 PM PST

Re:Challenge Mode - getting all the red gems to get gold

[Post New]by RevKellie on Sep 29, 13 6:51 PM
This tip was super helpful! Thanks!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Aug 25, 14 5:43 PM
Congrats to LizzieK for beating all the challenge boards! I play all my games except Zenerchi in windowed mode due to visual field limitations, and I still can't get the red diamonds on all of them. Most of the boards do seem to be a matter of luck as it took multiple attempts on most of the boards in the first rock even before I could get all the diamonds. Several of the boards in the fourth and fifth rocks seem barely possible to even finish, much less earn all the gems.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Aug 28, 14 8:21 PM
After much persistence I also got all the red gems in challenge mode as well. Will agree with LizzieK that the rolling balls level in the last rock was an extreme pain. What worked for me was to not watch the chain up top at all, but focus on getting several powerups early on and the flame helper charged but not use them until the alarm sounds. Even if you're fast you can only get about 20 of the balls with matches alone; the rest you have to blow up with the powerups and using the flame helper and hope you're lucky to survive long enough. It really helped to pause the game on the timed levels where you had to assemble the picture in 2 minutes or less.

In the fourth and fifth rocks in particular you have to get and use enough powerups and the flame helper in order to get the red gem. Just finishing the board fast won't score enough. I found the center puzzle in the fifth rock was also really frustrating because the picture to assemble isn't the same each time and a lot of the time it doesn't seem to want to cooperate with you in giving you the matches or colors you need; acing that one was a matter of pure luck.

Go to: