shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,225 Posts

Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Witches of Abraham Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shorenuf on Sep 28, 13 2:02 AM
(Based on demo) Much in the spirit of the 4 previous Midnight Mysteries, but perhaps not quite as inspired in the adventure and HO department. (Actually, I never played #1, E.A.Poe, which did not come out for Mac, but IMHO Salem Witch Trials was the best of them. Houdini was actually pretty good but too short, Mississippi was well constructed.)

This one has been produced by a different developer and it lacks some of the mystery as well as much of the challenge. The artistic presentation is not a Wow!, but decor and architecture are of the period; hidden objects are true to the time as well. Some of the puzzles were too simple, others a bit harder to figure out what to do, but easy to master if you hit the "?" for instructions. The HOs are interactive lists -- nothing extraordinary. As is tradition in this series, you will collect Ravens to gain extra hints, clovers to open unlimited HOs. Tasks are straightforward with quite a bit of guidance from black bar info. For accomplishing all there is to do, you will be awarded with 22 achievements.

You will have 3 options of difficulty to choose among -- casual has sparkles; advanced has no sparkles, longer hint and skip refresh; hardcore has even longer refresh time and no extra hints for collecting ravens. There is map that is not fast travel, and it indicates tasks in all difficulty modes.

You will definitely learn some things about Lincoln, Mary, the children, Detective Pinkerton and others through the course of playing the game. They will all talk to you with spoken and written dialogue -- quite a bit of it actually.

CE content:
Strategy Guide -- 7 chapters, bonus chapter, clover locations
Bonus chapter
Replay HOs (after finding clovers)
Well presented "Before and After" Concept Art
Wallpapers
Characters -- jigsaw puzzle and bio for each

Edited on 09/29/2013 at 9:09:36 AM PST

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
207 Posts

Re:Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Witches of Abraham Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Sep 28, 13 2:39 AM
meh.......on the fence on this one....the graphics are good and HO's are clear and love those, however, there are waayyyy too many mini-games! Every time I turned around, there was a blasted mini-game! Ugh! I didn't really like the storyline either, war....not for me....too bad because I really like the midnight series before....will not be getting the CE for sure, the SE? Questionable......to those who like the game, enjoy....

yve501
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by yve501 on Sep 28, 13 3:53 AM
I did the beta for this and found it to be well below the standard of the other Midnight Mystery games. I did not realise it was by a new developer.
The graphics are bland, the hogs basic and the game play very linear and easy. Unless things change later there is really no need for a strategy guide.
As a European I found the storyline very confusing full of characters I knew nothing about and had no incentive to find out about.
I certainly won't get it as a CE and doubt whether I'll get the SE.

MLC60
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Sep 28, 13 4:07 AM
As a Southerner, I'm tired of that dead horse of the un-Civil War being beaten. This seems like a trite old theme, with too many HO scenes. Maybe it's just my computer, but the movement is slow and jerky and doesn't seem to have progressed any since the last Midnight Mysteries game. I won't be purchasing, even on sale. MLC60

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Sep 28, 13 4:18 AM
As another European I liked the game and I enjoy learning more about the history here.
Graphics are clean and good and storyline is comparable to the other Midnight Mysteries, which I all own. It is an easy game, some minigames can be a bit challenging.
I play these games for the storylines and the funfactors. Still clovers to collect and ravens to find.
Even with this new dev I think they did do a pretty good job.
I will be buying, especially with this sale going on.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 28, 13 4:39 AM
Worthy Successor To Some Of The Best Games Ever
BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Absolutely one of the best series ever, I cannot count the number of times I have played the other 4 Midnight Mysteries games. They have their own unique beauty and character, and this one has it too, despite being put together by (I think, don’t quote me) a different developer. This game shows much that is new as well as the trademark elements of the series. Together, the result takes a few minutes to get used to, but that’s all you’ll need to get hooked on yet another compelling Midnight Mystery story.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are a bit unlike the previous games, and although they are clear and very detailed somehow fail to impress. It’s as if there is too much detail to be beautiful. Again, it’s easy to get used to. The scenes also seem a little dark, but visibility is high. There is far more melodrama here than in the rest of the series, with both the sounds and images being designed to startle and the game is quite creepy in parts. The voiceovers are excellent, the English perfect and background noise intense. And the trademark tunes and cut scenes are still there.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Our role as assistant to ghosts with unfinished business sees us visited this time by Abraham Lincoln. He wants you to track down a secret society and their treasure. It all has to do with the civil war, but then there’s Jesse James mixed in there too – his character looks spectacular. This story is much more threatening and supernaturally oriented, even though we’ve always dealt with ghosts. Before they were mostly harmless. These ones seem to include beings of a far more demonic nature. The story is compelling, and I was hooked almost immediately.

MAKING PROGRESS
This game is a good mix of puzzles and HOPs, following the previous games’ formula. The puzzles are not difficult, and the HOPs are all interactive lists. Some elements that I particularly like about the HOPs is that you can click on a word in the list to see a silhouette of it. As well, there is a final item which is the one you keep. Hints are collected by finding ravens, of which there are many, but if you run out, a new one will be generated over time.

There is a journal which also gives you an objectives list and a map which gives you current location and active tasks. The SG can only be accessed through the main menu.

to be cont'd

Edited on 09/28/2013 at 4:40:07 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 28, 13 4:42 AM
cont'd

BLING!
The usual gallery items, including two screensavers, as well as achievements, including finding 40 collectible clovers, and unlockable HOPs. A game called “Before & After”, and a book of Characters. SG was locked until after purchase. The demo took me 50 mins.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I am tempted to buy the CE just for the wallpaper of Jesse James and the raven screensaver, but I’m like that. Collectible clovers and ravens are part of the tradition of this series, so I doubt they will be exclusive to the CE.

I recommend this game!

Edited on 09/28/2013 at 7:25:02 AM PST

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Sep 28, 13 5:25 AM
Well.... er, as another fishy said in her experience of this CE which I bought before reading her review, quote - The Midnight Mysteries is a well known series. The first four games were developned by **** Games and now their Partner HotLava produced this fifth game

She is so right, I'm quite disappointed in HotLava's attempt really. The game HAS lost its feel.

Lots of Mini Games which is okay I guess, but the graphics were not up to scratch for a CE.

You can get confused what to do next and each time you ask there goes a Hint which you have to find in the form of a four leaf clover or a white crow.

Turned the music and sound off in the end.

As for more of the game at the end, if you like Hidden Objects well enjoy. Should be fine to buy for a SE rather than a CE for sure.

Edited on 09/28/2013 at 5:28:06 AM PST

steve_san
Herring
Herring
374 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 28, 13 7:04 AM

NOT A WORTHY SUCCESSOR

I beta'd this game several weeks ago. I found the story line to be a real disappointment. This is so un-historical, even for a game, that it is too big a hurdle to recommend the game. The Lincoln idea had potential, but the story goes off in the wrong direction and I totally lost interest.

My point of reference is that I own most, if not all, the previous entries in the Midnight Mysteries series.

This one (right from the start) is noticably below the standards of the previous games.

I'll pass on this.

bfgDeveron
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Sep 28, 13 8:48 AM
Hello Everyone!

Wow, quite a few people have already been in reviewing this game. Thanks for all great thoughts and detail! I'm going to go ahead and sticky this thread and add in the information.

Happy Gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Sep 28, 13 8:50 AM
What do you think of Midnight Mysteries: Witches of Abraham Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Midnight Mysteries: Witches of Abraham Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Sep 28, 13 8:50 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
709 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Sep 28, 13 9:02 AM
I really like the game, very interesting things to do and learn
from this game, this will be a buy for me..The graphics was very clear and i loved the sounds great job DEV'sThx Big Fish for this awesome game keep up the good work DEV's thank you dev's for all your hard work and time.. 5 's

[Post New]by dollyflower on Sep 28, 13 9:30 AM
I the Midnight Mysteries series! This is a buy for me.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Sep 28, 13 9:49 AM
This game really did not evoke my interest. I have played Midnight Mysteries, most of them actually, and I believe, in my HMO, this is the most lack luster. As someone pointed out, getting into history via the civil war, is not something I want to revive, and definitely not in game form.

Another thing that bothers me is the abundance of puzzles, most of which are not too hard but time consuming and bothersome. Searching for 'clovers' is also tedious as is most collectibles in other games as for me, this takes away from the theme of the game and I begin to lose the meaning or plot in search of all the extras. My opinion only as I know most of you really like these extras in a CE. I also thought the Ravens were a bit hard to find.

However, in this case ,the extras do improve the monotony of this storyline. History was not one of my favoite subjects, war history anyway. I will pass on this and perhaps pick it up later as a SE.

Edited on 09/28/2013 at 9:55:22 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 28, 13 10:22 AM
Not as good as the other Midnight Mysteries.. I agree too many mini games and don't really care for that. It does have a map and a raven you have to find for hints and 4 leaf clovers? Just couldn't get into it for some reason. Won't buy the CE but will see when the SE comes out if I need a game or not to use a bonus punch.?? Only give this 2 out of 5 stars..

dancemom1
Clownfish
Clownfish
863 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 28, 13 10:22 AM
Another in the series. Have all the others and really enjoyed them all. This is very much the same, nothing new here. Graphics aren't bad, but not as clear as the other games. Game play is very good. Liked the voice overs, appropriate for time and scenery. Not a lot of sound FX, but good when they do show up.

There are a lot more puzzles and fewer HOGs in this game, which is a disappointment. It doesn't seem as challenging as the others in the series, but I find it interesting anyway. This has a different ghost and the same collectibles. Ravens are not as easy to spot as in the other games, and some of the clovers are difficult to see as well. Would be nice to have something new added to "spice" it up a bit. HOGs are okay. Games are quite simple. Absolutely no challenge here at all. I much prefer getting a bit frustrated with a game, rather than ho-hum bored because it is too simple. Need to go back to the same dev as the other 4 in the series.

All that being said, I did enjoy the game and will purchase because of the special this weekend. I have the need to add this to my collection, CE or no CE. As simple as it was, I think most people would find it entertaining, but not too challenging.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

youngjude
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by youngjude on Sep 29, 13 1:44 AM
where does valdy review these days ?

laraly
Herring
Herring
398 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Sep 29, 13 3:28 AM
I have played the beta version of this game 2 weeks ago, and I thought it was very good! Smart minigames and hos/frog, intense storytale, excellent graphics, thou, the studio room, remind me a lot the one of A. Poe of the midnight mysteries series, actually is identical! Good map and guide, definetly it's a buy for me!

[Post New]by laura0429 on Sep 29, 13 4:07 AM
I have just played the demo and I love this game. It will be a sure buy for me! I enjoyed the others in this series and I am sure I will enjoy this one as well. I'm so glad that BF has a sale this weekend!!! I recommend this game.

Go to: