Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Reviews for Dark Sisterhood: The Initiation

[Post New]by Nilosh on Sep 30, 13 2:44 AM
What can I say? I am a fan of storylines that involve witchcraft, occult and murder and this game does deal with a grizzly witchhunt where one innocent life has been lost and now you need to save her daughter from the same fate.

Graphics are dark and dated. I did not like the hand drawn art work or the animations. There are voice-overs and a very low key music in the back ground. Game features include two modes of difficulty to choose from and you wont get any sparkles. However the black bar tips give away alot and there is just too much hand-holding throu?ght the game.

You have a journal, a map that will allow you to travel and a hint system that does offer you information as what to do or where to go. Despite all these features, game play was clunky, glitchy and slow. I found myself getting bored very quickly.

A standard HOPA with two types of HO scenes; one fragmented and the other a list of items to locate. This is where the only challenge is; finding some items were next to impossible in each of the dark and crowded HO scenes. I had to resort to using the hint button which was a pain because it took so long for it to refill.

Mini-games were old and easy and really did not add anything fun factor to the game. You need to fufill certain tasks for each character you come across and that really is about it.

Dark, dreary, mildly interesting storyline but very old. Its a pass for me.

Edited on 09/30/2013 at 9:03:21 AM PST

Re:Review for Dark Sisterhood: The In?tiation

[Post New]by kristen71 on Sep 30, 13 2:54 AM
Very disappointed. Not hard but I got through up to the church once there I didn't complete the hidden object game and I couldnt' move forward at all becasue I accidently moved out. restarted the game and still couldn't do any more. Usually I finish the trail to quickly. this game I decided not to play because i couldn't be bothered with the mucking around.

Hint button didn't seem to really provide any assistance.

expected more.

Edited on 09/30/2013 at 2:57:07 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Sep 30, 13 3:08 AM
Would have loved this game as the theme is what I like. Graphics extremely good, and music in keeping.

My issue with the game is that there's only two play modes; casual with sparkles everywhere (I loathe sparkles) or advanced with no sparkles, no hints or puzzle skips.
Puzzles easy enough so not an a problem BUT HOS so dark and grainy I spent 30 minutes of the trial searching for one item.

Too much loading between scenes, and not much to do at each location..

With a few tweaks would be a great game.

Would have used a PCC, but sparkles and too much hand holding spoiled this game for me!

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Sep 30, 13 3:17 AM
The same happened to me at the church kristen71 and the game did nothing for me at all . Looks like I'll be wasting 3 punches this month because there are no games appealing to me at the moment . Sure wish BF would let us carry them over

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Sep 30, 13 3:33 AM
what a terrible game, deleted it after ten minutes

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Sep 30, 13 4:06 AM
I like a spooky, "safely" scary theme as much as anyone, but the devs sort of missed the boat (yes, it's a pun) on this one. This is based on having played the demo.

The scenery is pretty well done, but the graphics in many of the HOS is a bit muddy and I just don't care for the way most of the characters are drawn. The entire game is a rather odd mix of quite good, newer methods and old, dated technology. It is almost as though different aspects were done by completely separate people or teams and just stuck together. (It reminds me of a joke I heard years ago, "What do you call a horse designed by a committee? A camel!") The music is appropriate and not irritating; of course you can adjust the volume in the Options. There are two difficulty modes. The dialogue is okay. You will have to accomplish certain tasks to satisfy various people, in order to get them to help you. The HOS are either FROG-type or list and I found both to have less-than-stellar graphics. There is an interactive (jump) map, but it does not show your present location or available tasks. After you perform a task, e.g., place something where it needs to be, you are not always taken automatically to the object of the task. You may need to click to close the pop-up and then you will see what the "reward" for that task is. I managed to use the hint only once (outside a HOS) and it helped nicely. The storyline is a good, old spooky one with witches and ghosts (It reminds us that "witch" hunts are still alive and well today.) The mini-games I encountered were not difficult, but not terribly boring. It may be a little on the short side since the demo lasted only 32 minutes and I took my time and did not skip dialogue or mini-games. The demo covers approximately 2-1/2 chapters out of 8. All in all, it's one of those games that I will keep in mind for a time when I really need a couple of punches to finish a card, have a coupon that is expiring and am at the last day of a month. I'd give it 2-1/2 out of 5.

Edited on 09/30/2013 at 4:10:03 AM PST

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Sep 30, 13 4:36 AM
I thought I better demo this one since others mentioned it was glitchy. I made it into the cemetery with no glitches at all and no lag time inbetween scenes. The graphics look all right to me and 2 different HO scenes - list and Frog styles. I had no trouble finding anything. I got stuck for a bit and used the hint button and it told me to go to the right side of the church. I went there and sure enough I missed a HO scene. Advance mode has no puzzle skips. I didn't run into any puzzles before I stopped.

Story - The Inhabitants of the island of Cold Peak who are dressed like Puritans have killed your friend for witchcraft and are now after her daughter. Something strange is also going on with the island.

I was thinking of getting this one and playing it around Halloween.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Sep 30, 13 5:21 AM
Okay, This Is Officially Creepy

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The intro is dramatically done, with okay cut scenes and very good voiceover. The main menu page shows some good graphics, but unfortunately the visuals don’t follow through.

This game feels like an adventure game. There is a lot of dialogue, lots of characters and we are presented with quests by them. But it is not an adventurer’s game. The bulk of the gameplay is HOPs with some easy other puzzles every now and then.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are, unfortunately, not much good. Very dark, grainy, and the later cut scenes are quite pixelated . The characters are weird, ugly, just plain strange, and I wonder if the graphics are a deliberate part of that atmosphere. The graphics are not so bad that you can’t see what’s going on, or have any problems finding objects, but I didn’t adjust to them. They still irritated me at the end of the (30 min) demo. Sounds are great. The voiceovers are very well done and the background noises suitably icky.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Okay, now admittedly witch hunts always creep me out, but this is one game where the atmosphere really suits the mood of the tale. You are too late to save your friend, Bloom, when she is executed for witchcraft, but you are set upon saving her daughter, Lily. There is definitely something evil going on, and no doubt you’ll have to face it before the game concludes, but first you have to survive the villagers.

Some characters you come across, just like in an adventure game, are not at all interested or involved in your story. Others give you quests to perform in order to get their help.

MAKING PROGRESS
This is really, ultimately, a HOG. There are two types of HOPs. A straight list (no interaction) and fragmented objects. At this stage, you haven’t returned to any of them. The puzzles are very easy, and there are not many of them.

In terms of adventure gameplay, each character gives you a set of 3 quests. Items needed for completing it are all used up at the end and you receive an item from the character that lets you progress. There is a map, for which there is little need, but it is a jump map. There’s also a journal and a hint that gives you hints.

This game is not much really, poor graphics, simplistic gameplay, but I know I'll be buying it anyway, I just can't figure out why.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Sep 30, 13 5:55 AM
Me? I really like the game. I love the creepiness factor of the game. And the VO's are done really well. Kudos to the team.

Story: Synopsis we are on our way to save a little girl named Lily after receiving a letter from a dear friend of the main character. We get there and see a burning of a witch is going on who it seemed to be her dear friend. Our hero is going to get to the bottom of Cold Peak's mysteries and make things right again.

Graphics: Some say outdated, but me I look at it in the way of the time era the story is set in and the graphics would fit just right. I don't think the graphics are outdated as they are really great on my screen. The Salem Witch Hunt took place in 1692 and the Wurzburg one was 1598, so the graphics even in real life wouldn't of been all that great lol.

Music: Fits the game just right and adds to the spookiness.

Map: It's a jump map. Best kind

Hint System: Not sure as I didn't use it yet. According to the game it said on regular mode it recharges fairly quickly.

Game Play: In the H0G scenes you have FROGS or a list. Also you run into certain characters and they ask you for specific quests to do which is fun. Haven't seen that yet in a H0G.

All in all excellent job and I'm glad I bought

Edited on 09/30/2013 at 5:58:24 AM PST

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Sep 30, 13 6:23 AM
I found the graphics rather dark and was not impressed with the voice overs. The game has you running to and fro with nothing to point you in the correct direction. The hints are barely hints. And I found the music annoying....a no go for me....

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Sep 30, 13 9:02 AM
Thanks for getting this thread going!

What do you think of Dark Sisterhood: The Initiation? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Dark Sisterhood: The Initiation page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

You can also check out reviews for the Collector's Edition of the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgSeine

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Sep 30, 13 9:02 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgSeine

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Sep 30, 13 9:02 AM
played about 15 minutes... had a blank screen at the beginning but could hear the dialogue. Also, very slow. Everytime I enter a new area, my screen freezes and then there is dialogue. Then all of a sudden my mouse comes back and I can use the cursor again. Frustrating and glitchy. If this is a game problem, I will try again after it's resolved - if not, then this is a no buy for me (and I usually really like these types of games)

Re:Reviews for Dark Sisterhood: The Initiation

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Sep 30, 13 6:17 PM
i was pretty excited when the daily game splash in my email inbox said that this was an adventure game! but, then i read the reviews and my excitement deflated rather quickly.

then, upon trying the demo, i was very disappointed in the fact that, although promised NO SPARKLES in the harder mode of two, there was STILL a sparkle on the tree stump-looking thing in the foggy woods... and then, at the crossroads, the ladder has a glimmer running down it over and over, telling me to pick it up. jeez. so much for "NO sparkles"... and strike 1.

as i wandered around the town, there was not much to do in each scene... there was a lot of potential in the scene with the gallows, (i thought they burned witches at the stake or drowned them... not hang them, but whatever) and there's a house we could explore... but the only thing to do there is unscrew the hook? seemed it was that way for every scene! strike 2.

i can put up with some pretty flat, unspectacular graphics if the game is challenging and has a good story line (red crow mysteries: legion)... but i couldn't get into the story because of all the HOS, both list and FROG-type... then, the reverend wants me to do three things and... sure enough, one HOS after another (with no interaction to at least make it different) to accomplish his requests. when i hit the third one, i said enough is enough. i'm done. strike 3, you're out.

sadly, i quite liked the premise of the story, i liked the cut-scenes at the beginning, the music was good, the game seemed nice and creepy... no cutesy stuff... but i wanted more adventure story/mystery to solve and not so much "find stuff".

maybe i'm just coming down off the high of playing the new enigmatis game this weekend, i dunno. but i need two punches on my card and this game isn't it. i'm going to use my PCC for the "solitaire mystery: four seasons" game instead.

one for the creepy story, but that's all i can do.

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Sep 30, 13 10:18 PM
Oh, this was bad. Not the worst game out there but just boring. I only played the trial and couldn't wait until it was finished. Terrible voiceovers that don't mesh with the characters and lots of areas for exploring but you don't get to explore. There are scenes with many things to look at in them, but you get maybe one item out of it and it's done. Perhaps it gets better after the first hour but I wasn't impressed with what I played and am not interested in knowing more. Graphics look outdated and the entire thing just looks old. Maybe a beginner would like it.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Oct 5, 13 1:14 AM
The story seemed intriguing. Too bad the devs couldn't follow through with a higher quality game. I'm betting this one will wind up on the DD heap before too long. When it does, I still won't buy it.

[Post New]by mindyfishy on Oct 13, 13 12:50 PM
Hmm, I'm quite liking this game so I'm totally surprised by the negative reviews! I had no idea that some of the things I like about it are so disliked by others. For example, I am enjoying the quests, which are so very adventure-game like and help me to know what to do as I wander around. I agree, the map could be better but even so I find it useful. True, the two characters I've seen so far are rather grim, but that is understandable under the circumstances. I like the graphics and they also fit the dark storyline. I turn off all sound so I can't comment there. For me the game is intriguing and very challenging. I give it 5 stars.
This is my first try at a review and I'm not sure I did it right, but all those negative comments seemed to call for me to give some positive feedback here.

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Nov 30, 13 4:57 PM
For the most part, I liked this game. Good storyline, graphics and music.

The only problem I had was when I needed to use an inventory item. Sometimes I had to drag the item to the location 4 or 5 times. This got really annoying after awhile. Who knows...maybe it was my computer acting up too.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 15, 14 8:27 PM
Intriguing story. I kind of liked it. Unfortunately, the game seemed glitchy and sluggish. I also thought it was pretty elementary. I'm not sure when it was first released, but the graphics and movements just seemed out-of-date. Not a buy.

notaboruw
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by notaboruw on Sep 13, 14 12:01 PM
did anyone else finish this game? Just wondering what happens if you give the spell book to Fatime instead of the white witch....

Go to: