timeinhand
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

Double squash

[Post New]by timeinhand on Oct 2, 13 5:35 AM
Just noticed by planting double the amount of squash to one brussel sprout double's experiance points in less time. This speeds up achieving the next level. I am on level 21 at the moment. Anyone with other speed ups without paying?.

evetruth
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

Re:Double squash

[Post New]by evetruth on Oct 2, 13 2:26 PM
I'm at level 43 therefore I can't tell you to plant the trees that have over 100 xp points. If you can plant the lemon trees along with the squash it will help.

[Post New]by lovelybones120 on Oct 3, 13 5:35 AM
Could you please clarify ? It's not clear what you mean by double squash? additional question: what are the best veggies to grow? Best return on money.

wjb1492
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by wjb1492 on Oct 3, 13 4:15 PM
"Best" depends on your playing style, I think. I tend to plant turnips before I go to bed or if I won't be on for a day - good experience value and good return on the money. However, if you are wanting to actively play for a while, either radishes for constant play or cucumbers or potatoes if you want to play for 5-10 minutes then do something else for 15 or so. I need lots of wheat at this point, so I will often plant that, get it watered and weeded, then shut the game down for 3 hours or so. That works especially well if you need dresses, ice cream, lengthy baking items, etc.

On the other hand, part of what I enjoy is variety, so I break my own rules a lot. Sometimes I do oats overnight, sometimes I do onions instead of wheat. And I try to keep at least 100 of everything for the random quests, so there is also the break from turnips/wheat/cucumbers/potatoes to top off collections after a quest comes along.

I think the op meant that, even though brussel sprouts are worth more, they take so long that you can do better by growing multiple crops of squash in the same amount of time. That equation can change a bit as Jennifer gets her "education," and also would depend on whether you are going to be able to harvest and replant squash in the middle. Brussel sprouts are a good one for overnight/workweek until you level up to the higher round veggies.

Sliponshoes
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by Sliponshoes on Oct 6, 13 8:25 AM
Once you can plant them, Lemon Trees are the highest XP and Silver producers that I have found. I'm currently level 42 and I'm stocking up on flour so I'm growing lemon trees on about half of my plots and wheat on the other half. If someone knows of a better XP and silver producer than Lemon Trees, please speak out!

For whatever level you are, compare the cost vs. income for each plant/bush/tree that is available to you and that will help giude you if your motivation is for max income. Look at the XP that they produce as well, I've found that often the highest income producers are also the highest XP producers.

dubemi
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by dubemi on Oct 6, 13 9:49 AM
I'm at level 49 and Papaya is the better:
XP papya give 140, lemon 110,
income for Papaya is 250$, lemon 175$,
14 yield for papaya, only 12 for lemon,
cost a lot more for Papaya 1680$ compare to 860$,

Because money is not a problem for me, I'm planting Papaya

I realy enjoy this forum, great source or info

Happy farming and long life to Big Fish

player84
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by player84 on Oct 6, 13 11:24 AM
I like to plant carrots as an over night, cash crop. Costs 150 to plant and sells for 480 and sometimes gives kitchen collection items. I usually plant 150 carrots for a profit of 49,500 silver.

timeinhand
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by timeinhand on Oct 7, 13 11:14 AM
Thanks for all the tips and I did mean planting double amounts of squash or even treble to gain more experiance points at this level. Will keep referring to this part as I progress, there's so much to take in and advance to the end. Happy Farming.

Sliponshoes
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by Sliponshoes on Oct 19, 13 5:53 AM
dubemi wrote:I'm at level 49 and Papaya is the better:

Hello dubemi,

Thank you for informing me about the Papaya - having a higher XP and profit than Lemon Trees. At first glance, it would appear that you are correct, however I ran the numbers on the two items and made some comparisons. When you factor the time element into the equation, Papaya comes out trailing the productivity of Lemons. Let me explain...

Papaya:
Total Profit: 1820
Total XP: 1960
Total Time: 102.1 Hours (Rounding to the nearest tenth)
Total Profit Per Hour: 17.8
Total XP Per Hour: 19.2

Lemon Tree:
Total Profit: 1240
Total XP: 1320
Total Time: 35 Hours
Total Profit Per Hour: 35.4
Total XP Per Hour: 37.7

Based on these calculations, and feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, Lemon Trees are a better return on investment for both XP and Silver. I'm going to stick with Lemons for now but I appreciate you bringing the Papaya to my attention. Admittedly, I haven't been doing my due diligence in keeping up with the new items that have become available as I have leveled up.

I hope this helps! Happy Farming!

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Oct 19, 13 6:38 AM
Now, I'm curious. Your numbers seem to assume no watering, fertilizing, weeding or spraying...what if you add in one of these (assuming by now Jen is fully trained) to your papaya growing to shorten the time. The energy cost goes up, but does making the papaya ripen faster offset the energy expense? I'd play with this but I haven't leveled up to papaya yet.

Sliponshoes
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by Sliponshoes on Oct 19, 13 7:22 AM
Hello Cat52,

Yes, of course, watering fertilizing, etc. would shorten the growth and ripening times for Papaya. The same argument can then be applied to the Lemons, shortening their growth and ripening times. If one were to water, fertilize, hoe, etc for one crop, it would be fair to assume that they would do the same with the other, and by doing so, keep the ratio's similar.

The lemons produce more XP and Silver per hour than the Papaya, with or without the extra energy expenditures. If one were to expend the extra energy for the Papaya and not the lemons, then the ratio's would be skewed. I don't have the figures to compute the reduction of time for the watering, fertilizing, etc. However, if you were going to apply those tactics to one crop it would be safe to assume that it would be applied to the other crop as well - increasing the productivity of both crops.

Lemons are the better investment either way, producing more XP and Silver than Papayas by default or with the extra energy activities applied. It's the ratio of production vs. time elapsed that makes Lemons the better choice for maximum return, applying the extra activities would simply reduce the total amount of time required for both crops, increasing the XP/Silver per hour computations, but it would apply to both crops.

The total amount of time for Papaya production is greater than for Lemons, therfore - since the reductions for watering, etc. is based on a percentage of the total - the reduction of total time would be slightly greater for Papaya than for Lemons, skewing the figures slightly in favor of the Papaya when applying the time reduction tactics. I would be willing to bet that, if applied to both crops, the lemons would still be a better return, the percentage difference between the two crops isn't great enough to offset the built in advantage. I don't have the numbers to compute that though, so feel free to prove my theory incorrect!

You raise an interesting argument that warrants more investigation. I'll leave that additional investigation up to someone who has the numbers for time savings due to watering, etc. I didn't take much math in college...

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Oct 19, 13 11:51 AM
Ah, but the idea would be to apply to papaya and not to lemon. Yeah, applying to both is the old A=B, therefore A-C=B-C.

Since the reduction in growth times are expressed as a percentage, I don't blame you for not wanting to tackle the math. For one thing, I haven't checked to see if the percentage is off the total growth time (as expressed in the market) and therefore does not vary if you water right away or wait to water (for example) - or if it is off the growth time remaining to the plant the action - weeding or whatever - is actually applied to. I'm sure the developers had a ton of fun programming it. And I do know people who would actually find it fun-enhancing to do this sort of math. I am capable of doing it, but don't think it's fun enough to try

evetruth
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by evetruth on Oct 31, 13 3:19 PM
dubemi wrote:I'm at level 49 and Papaya is the better:

That's what I'm growing and it does help

knitnest
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by knitnest on Nov 1, 13 3:44 AM
cat52 wrote:
if the percentage is off the total growth time (as expressed in the market) and therefore does not vary if you water right away or wait to water (for example) - or if it is off the growth time remaining to the plant the action - weeding or whatever - is actually applied to.

I did a quick check with watering - it is 10% off TOTAL time, not time remaining. But if you're weeding, fertilizing &c. the countdown to the next step starts when you finish the previous one so prompt attention gives more chances to cut down on growing time.

timeinhand
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by timeinhand on Nov 9, 13 11:43 AM
Progresed to level 32 with small lake, however I did read in a Bigfish forum on how to award myself with unlimited gold (25000), topping up when necessary without paying a single penny, cannot seem to find who put it there BUT GREAT THANKS, I tried this and it really speeds things up. I still have to gain experiance points to reach the next level but now I mostly use gold to achieve it. Silver I did the same and entered a daft 8 figure amount. Sold machines, sawmill, brick house, snack bar and buy from man at bus stop any materials and water etc, keeping the animals at present.
It definately altered the game play and how I view it now. It gave me back time in hand and I now cannot call myself a true Farm Up player using the patient method.
Yipeeeeee.

knitnest
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by knitnest on Nov 9, 13 6:09 PM
Y'know, timeinhand, I posted part of the instructions on how that works. Then the thread got taken down and I got a remarkably polite PM from a mod about it (and, remarkably, did not get booted from the forum). But part of what I was asking is WHY anyone would want to play like that.

So, since you've been enjoying the unlimited-gold/silver mode, could you tell me: How is it any fun? If you can buy off every quest and level up like lightning - with little effort - why even bother doing it? I really don't get this. What's the reward?

timeinhand
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by timeinhand on Nov 12, 13 3:25 AM
Hello Knitnest, after playing like lighening for a little while I do enjoy completing some of the quests normally like growing flowers and having the bees come out to them and in return produce the honey, also growing the fish. A number of vegetables, berries and tree producers I do mix to grow at a normal pace or will speed up when close to next level depending on how I feel and the time I have. I am not wanting to speed the game entirely as the graphics are great, the colours and little action scenes I enjoy about the game. I do like to have a little more control over it. Hope it answers your questions.

Go to: