shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Reviews for Mayan Prophecies: Cursed Island CE

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 3, 13 2:49 AM
Mayan Prophecies Ship of Spirits was an excellent game when it was introduced. It had nearly every feature one could imagine should be part of a hidden object adventure game. Of course by now those features are standard in most every CE. I wasn't surprised to see them in this game.

Mayan Prophecies Cursed Island continues the story of Spoiler: the 3 people who managed to escape the Ship of Spirits. A brief synopsis of that story catches you up -- no need to play the first to understand this one. Frankly, Cursed Island is not very exciting, we've heard the story before. It did get a bit more interesting toward the end of the demo. But there are places where I think you will say "that is just wrong" about an action or an object placement. Spoiler: shooting an arrow, the right wing

And the heroine makes pithy little comments akin to spoofing. Granted the story here insists you stretch your imagination, but I don't think this is intended to be a spoof on casual games. Too bad, because it truly comes close. I would give the game higher marks if it actually were a spoof.

Game play features:
Some outstanding artwork, although not all that sharp. Cut scenes are a mix of video and sepia drawings.
Voice overs -- no facial animation and the acting is laughably bad
4 difficulty modes including custom -- I didn't notice if you can turn off hints and skips, but you cannot turn off black bar info or active available tasks on the map.
diary keeps story progress
map is quick travel
HOs are interactive, Mahjong alternative
Puzzles fit the theme. The first one was very easy. The second one was familiar but required some thought. The demo ended for me in the middle of it (darn!) I'm pokey, you might get further than I did.
Adventure and tasks -- so far truly a no brainer activity -- get an item, uses an item (some back and forth required).
Achievements -- way fewer than in MP 1
Collectibles -- 40 morphing objects and 40 hummingbirds -- these, especially the morphs, are really well disguised.
An artifact with missing pieces -- collect them to learn the Island's Story

TBC

Edited on 10/03/2013 at 8:38:00 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mayan Prophecies: Cursed Island CE

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 3, 13 2:50 AM
CE content:

Strategy Guide -- again I didn't note the # of Chapters :Embarrassed:
Bonus Chapter
Replay Mahjong (locked but visible -- my guess is there are a lot of HO scenes)
Concept Art and Wallpapers
Screen saver
Music

Bottom line -- there is just nothing new here. Nothing I can get excited about.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Oct 3, 13 3:46 AM
I loved the first game of the series and really looked forward to the second installment. However after having played the demo, I am not jumping up and down. If you recall, you narrowly escaped the ship of spirits along with your two companions and find yourselves adrift at sea on a life raft. Just like Gilligan and the crew of the SS Minow, you find yourselves shipwrecked on an island which is inhabited by Mayans who demand that the artifact is returned to them. Later they realise that only you can help them to stop the Spirit of the Volcano before it causes the entire island to break apart.

Similar to the first game, the main menu offers three modes of difficulty that can be customized and offers a choice in settings. Game features include a journal, a map that does allow you to travel and an artifact that requires you to find its parts and inturn each part will relate the history of the Mayans.The graphics are bright but not as sharp as I would like but I did like the use of colors. Artwork is good, hand-drawn scenes that has a slight grainy qualty to it. Voice-overs and sound effects are not the best I have heard and you have the familiar sounds of drums and tune in the backgound.

Gameplay is standard HOPA with alot of back-tracking involved and that is where the map comes in handy. HO scenes are interactive and really crowded but you do have the option of switching to a game of Mahjong. I actually found myself opting for Mahjong as I couln't be bothered to look for items amongst the rubble. Mini-games that I came across were generally interesting but not as challenging as I would have liked.You have your extras that include morphing objects and also mayan statues that when clicked, turn into humming-birds which need to be caught. There are also a list of achievements that pertain to the story.

As a sequel, I personally found that this game does not hold a candle to its predessesor. There was something missing, whether it was the storyline or the gameplay, I found it rather dull and too mechanical. It simply did not have the WOW effect that I had experienced in the first game. Perhaps it is an off day for me or maybe I am just getting tired of the same mechanics of these games. However, I still am giving it four stars because it still has merits and it is a sequel which will prompt me to buy in order to find out the outcome of our heroine's adventure.

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Oct 3, 13 7:56 AM
I have to agree with Nilosh here. Nothing exciting, and the graphics are grainy and not very detailed.
The story could be interesting, but it does not come close to the first installment..
A no buy for me

agbosche
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Where did the machete go?

[Post New]by agbosche on Oct 3, 13 8:11 AM
I sharpened the machete and cut open the raft for supplies. Then the machete disappeared. Where did it go? I need it to cut my way into the jungle...........

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 3, 13 8:23 AM
agbosche wrote:I sharpened the machete and cut open the raft for supplies. Then the machete disappeared. Where did it go? I need it to cut my way into the jungle...........

I think it was a sabre but anyway you don't have to cut the vines; just show the artifact to them and they will disappear

Edited on 10/03/2013 at 8:25:00 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 3, 13 8:37 AM
I have to agree that the first game in this series was much better; this one has inferior graphics and seems far easier. But at least it wasn't hard to figure out what to do next; sometimes I just want a game that doesn't make me constantly refer to the SG and I think I looked at it twice throughout the demo (which lasted 59 minutes for me).

The collectibles were reasonably easy to find, the HOS were all list type but not too difficult, I enjoyed the puzzles (although none were unique) and the story flowed along quite nicely. The play mode was customisable so if you don't like sparkles you can play without them, w/s presentation and the HOS can be replaced with Mah-Jong if you prefer. The graphics were grainy but colourful, as you would expect from a game with a Mayan theme. And the transportable map shows where there are tasks to perform.

If you don't want anything too taxing on the brain, this fits the bill. It's a buy for me

ETA: I'm sorry now that I bought this game. There are so many HOS (sometimes one after another if you follow the map to find areas for tasks to be performed) that it became a chore to play. Even switching to Mah- Jong became boring since it's way too easy. As the game progresses, the puzzles appear less and the HOS more often. I know it's a HOPA but it would have at least been less boring if the HOS hadn't all been the list type. I got so sick of them I couldn't even finish the main game, never mind the bonus. I wish I'd waited for the SE.

Edited on 10/04/2013 at 1:01:42 AM PST

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 3, 13 8:37 AM
Thanks for getting the reviews thread started everyone! I'm going to go ahead and add the official sticky!

What do you think of Mayan Prophecies: Cursed Island Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Mayan Prophecies: Cursed Island Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 3, 13 8:38 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 3, 13 3:15 PM
Naturally, another special and I already have the two games they list on the sale. This one has promise, but... The graphics weren't bad, but not real clear and a bit old school. Color was very good. Game play was very good. Voice overs were appropriate for setting. I like that they picked up where the first MP left off. That's different.

The demo was quite short, I still had 20 minutes of game play left, so wondering how long the full game might be. They don't list all the chapters in the demo, so hard to guess. Morphing objects are not all that easy to spot. Once you figure out the "system" to the hidden birds, it is quite easy to find them.

HOGs are fairly clean and simple and you can switch between standard HOG and Majong. Most puzzles are simple, but some did take a little thought to complete. Hint system is good and helpful. SG was easy to follow. Music nice. Not a lot of sound FX, but what you get is pretty good.

This game was nice, but it did not grab me like the first one. There seems to be something missing here, but I'm not sure what. There is way too much running back and forth, so the map is quite helpful. It is not a very challenging game and the seasoned gamer will probably find it a little boring. For these reasons, I don't feel that this game is CE worthy, so I will put it in my puddle and wait for the SE, then toss it into the pond and add it to my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find that this on is exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Oct 3, 13 10:54 PM
I am so disappointed....I was hoping all the so-so reviews would prove to be wrong when I did the demo.

Mayan Prophecies One was a great game, full of challenging puzzles, clear illustrations in vibrant color, great HOGs.......and Fear for Sale: Nightmare Cinema was also a really excellent game.

I have no idea what happened here....but this is a washed out, tepid attempt at a game. I will either wait and get the SE with a coupon or not purchase this at all.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 5, 13 7:08 AM
Another delightful, fun CE, go play, go buy, go collect, do it already

Interactive map, collectibles, hidden humming bird, whats not to like, great graphics,all the requisite formula for a great game!

sedbee
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by sedbee on Oct 5, 13 10:06 AM
It was a nice game but nothing outstanding.Way too many HOGs,and I was a bit dissapointed.Does not compare to the previous games,

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Oct 5, 13 2:43 PM
angelfish106 wrote:
agbosche wrote:I sharpened the machete and cut open the raft for supplies. Then the machete disappeared. Where did it go? I need it to cut my way into the jungle...........

I think it was a sabre but anyway you don't have to cut the vines; just show the artifact to them and they will disappear

BFG: Why is this on the Reviews page? It should have been removed by the Moderator!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Oct 5, 13 4:44 PM
Just finished main game and I agree with amost all of the reviews (!!) so no need to go into alot of detail! There are definetly wayyyyyy too many HOS for my taste, And a map is a definite, in my opinion, for this game, as there is alot of back and forth and by the time I found a new object, I totally forgot which way to go to use it! So the jump map was a very good thing! Graphics were kind of grainy as someone mentioned. And the mini-games were nothing new ie: rotate the rings, line up the lines, light up the lights, etc.! But all in all, it wasn't bad. I didn't have the other Mayan Prophecy game, but got it with the sale for $2.99. I will play that at another time. As some reviewers have said, they sum up nicely in the beginning of this game, what happened in the previous game. Very nice!

feenix

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 6, 13 12:49 PM
I enjoyed the game and will end up buying it if not the CE, the SE for sure. Hints reloaded fast, has a map, and like the graphics. Not a hard game to understand and puzzles were fun too. Give this 4 out of 5 stars

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Oct 7, 13 2:09 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the game and it had a nice flow to it. Graphics were clear and music fit the game theme.

Every scene has a Morphing Object and a "collectible" Hummingbird, the 1st time through.

There are 40 Hummingbirds and 40 Morphing Objects to gather.

There are 25 mini games and around that amount of HOPs to play.

I'm a regular player and playing all of the HOPs and mini games, plus the Bonus Game, took me over 8 hours.

Once you have completed the Bonus Game, you can go into the Extras and play Mahjong games as many times as you want. I feel like a got a free Mahjong game when I purchased this CE.

Thanks Developers for a great game.

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Oct 10, 13 2:54 AM
I really like these developers. The "Fear for Sale" series is one of my favorites and the first "Mayan Prophecies" was simply amazing but I'm afraid this second installment is not nearly as good as its predecessor. Previous reviewers have already mentioned the pros and cons of this game so there's no need repeating them. It seems to me, and I rarely say this, that developers made this game extempore and perfunctorily. There's no way it can live up to the standards of its prequel. It does have some good elements of course but I believe they're not enough to counterbalance the bad ones. One thing I liked was the addition of extra Mahjong levels but still I can only recommend this game as an SE and that with the use of a PCC.

I'd like to mention another issue I had with this game and unfortunately I had it with the "Stranded Dreamscapes" game as well. I had to disable the wide screen option in order to have clearer graphics as they were quite fuzzy and stretched with the wide screen on. Don't know the reason for that. Maybe if I haven't had this issue my opinion would have been a bit better but as it is, this game for me is below average.

Edited on 11/15/2013 at 7:50:40 AM PST

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Jul 8, 14 10:36 PM
I purchased this game in Oct, 2013 Buy one and get one for $1.99 & just now played it and I really feel I got my moneys worth...This was an enjoyable game for me , no head banging frustration and I liked the color, artwork, storyline and game play

I re-read other reviewers and I generally agree with them [ especially since their reviews are what I used to decide what games I got ]

These BOGO sales Felix Big Fish sets up give me the chance to buy a CE at 1/2 price, therefore I get games that I can't really afford full price and this one of them

I'm giving this enjoyable CE out of 5

Go to: