catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Reviews For Riddles of Fate: Wild Hunt

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Oct 4, 13 3:35 AM
Post reviews here!
(there seems to be no review thread yet)

Edited on 10/04/2013 at 8:47:41 AM PST

Re:Reviews For Riddles of Fate: Wild Hunt

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 4, 13 5:01 AM
Game Summary + Brief CE Content Review

BASED ON COMPLETED CE GAME

I love this story. A strange evil has invaded the town, and is searching for young girls in every home. THAT’s an ominous beginning! But there is a mysterious prisoner who promises help and tells you it is no lesser evil than the 4 Horsemen Of The Apocalypse! Battling each one of these separately, you also find out the history of the Wild Hunt and the legends surrounding it.

The intro to the game is thrilling. Told (I think it’s the first time I’ve ever seen it) from the point of view of the bad guys, it shows the havoc they unleash and gives us a teaser on why. Once past the main menu, we get more info in a letter from a desperate townswoman.

This is presented using comics on parchment, within a thought bubble?, I guess you’d call it. One of the best things about this game is the varied and original ways the backstory and legends are shown.

Everything looks absolutely marvellous, as you’d expect from Elephant. The sounds make an important contribution, and the voiceovers are appropriately majestic and cruel.

Another really delightful element is the ghost skulls, each of whom have a voice and a mind of their own! The game is dark in aspect and colour, but I didn’t find it difficult to see anything.

Gameplay is adventure-oriented, with interactive list HOPs, some easy-to-tricky puzzles, and plenty to do in every location. A hint that hints, an interactive jump map, and choice of difficulty levels gives us as much help as we need. The current task is also noted, but no journal.

BONUS CONTENT REVIEW NEXT POST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 4, 13 5:04 AM
BONUS CONTENT REVIEW

The bonus chapter took me much longer than usual to complete, but I can’t give you an exact time. Certainly well over an hour, and possibly even more than two. It consists of a lot of the old locations reworked, plus half a dozen or so new locations, more not-so-easy-now puzzles and just a few HOPs.

The last but one puzzle was absolutely amazing, and if anyone gets it without help, they should get a medal. But it’s not impossible, it just requires some serious brain work and a better memory than mine.

The extra story follows on from the previous ending, without being necessary to it. Story-wise, it seems very much a last minute addition. The graphics also don’t seem quite so good, the language is definitely less precise, and some instructions on puzzles are darn near impossible to work out.

The SG was also no help in these situations. Despite that, I really did enjoy this chapter quite a lot, because the structure was nicely put together.

There are the usual gallery items included, as well as achievements. I don’t particularly like the standard list format Elephant use to display them, other developers do these much better. The collectibles are few, and when found are placed on a “crystal ball” map that gives history as you collect them.

The prize, as far as the CE content goes, is the “Secret Room”. If you don’t want to know what that is,
DON’T READ HIGHLIGHTED.

In this room, the replayable puzzles and HOPs are presented as if in yet another chapter of the game, only just enough to draw the puzzles together. I think of it as the Reader’s Digest version of the game, and I love it!

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
Which is the best buy? I’d vote for the Collector’s Edition, for the bonus game and the secret room, both of which are loads of fun. But there's nothing wrong with this one!

I recommend this game!

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Oct 4, 13 8:49 AM
Thanks for starting the thread for us catbag8717!

I went ahead and made your post sticky so everyone can find it.

bfgMurrumbidgee

MaryEl
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by MaryEl on Oct 4, 13 10:53 AM
Not a bad game, but for $6.99 or even a game credit I don't think I will get it. If you are a new customer to BF it is only $2.99. At that price I might have bought it. Hopefully next week will bring some decent games worth purchasing. Sure has been a drought lately!

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Oct 4, 13 10:52 PM
I really am enjoying this game. The HO's are innovative and the mini games are entertaining. Very unusual to for me to be so engrossed that the trial time flew by. Try it for yourself but this is a buy for me!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Oct 6, 13 11:55 PM
I think my estimation of a game can sometimes be skewed by my mood or how tired I am. I didn't remember playing this until I started the demo, and then it was so familiar. Turns out I played the demo for the CE and gave it a thumbs down. But now I'm having a pretty good time. I'm going to get it with a game credit.

renaki
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by renaki on Oct 8, 13 7:33 AM
My opinion BASED ON DEMO to those who have tried the game

I really liked this game
Loved the scenery and the story
i found the help system (map and hint) satisfactory helpful.(meaning
you can get any kind of help you wish)
I also loved the mini games and puzzles (easy enough and fun)
I even liked the way some of the inv.items flew in the inventory.
Judging by the walkthrough, the length of the game must be
decent (about 4 hours for me)

The only objection I have is that the iHOS are simple iHOS.
Nowadays the iHOS have developed to more interesting levels.

Anyway, the whole sense for me is so I am going to buy it

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Oct 13, 13 1:19 PM
I ALWAYS buy all Elephant games. I just love the quality & the graphics & storyline!!! Always top notch in my opinion. Keep up the excellent work

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Oct 22, 13 2:40 AM
As Elephants are known for longevity so is their Games !!!! this is a very long game, or was for me as I have to read and look at everything, but as with some other long games, there was no "Padding" like adding loads of HOS towards the end , and making longer trips from place to place......
this game was well planned and held my interest to the very end , some really good puzzles, ok many variations of older puzzles but very interesting and some a little tricky....
Thank you Devs and Big FIsh a really great game , one I think anyway was well worth the money

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 26, 13 7:39 AM
I found with this game I constantly had to refer to the hint button as I had no idea what to do or where to go next and the map was no help.
as usual with elephant games the quality was outstanding but I just could not get into this one

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Dec 16, 13 2:17 PM
Thank you qpr1 for saying this....

qpr1 wrote:I found with this game I constantly had to refer to the hint button as I had no idea what to do or where to go next and the map was no help.
as usual with elephant games the quality was outstanding but I just could not get into this one

I found myself doing the same thing :/ Perhaps it is just my mood or Christmas Season distracting but I had a need to use 'hint' far too often and the map let me jump but that's about all.
All the while the graphics, colors and storyline were fine but the pointer was 'floaty' & uninstalling/reinstalling did not help and I don't really like to use the system pointer

Don't let my downer affect your decision to try this as you may really like it

Just giving this one out of 5

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Mar 16, 14 8:45 PM
Dark, Eerie, and Creepy

The human child of Fate is born. Dark forces are out to destroy her, first by imprisoning all females in the kingdom in an attempt to find her. Endter the hero Detective who has come to save her.

This game has an excellent soundtrack, beautiful piano and violin music, excellent voiceovers, especially on the talking spirits. The graphics are beautiful, very well drawn.

Mini puzzles are simplistic but a lot of fun and very entertaining. Hidden object scenes are the interactive list type, again, very entertaining and a lot of fun.

There is a task list and an interactive map to assist you. Additionally you will have Louie the bat to assist you in reaching things that you can't.

This is a very complex game, with a lot of back and forth, hunt and find, beasts popping up unexpectedly, and scattered notes to find and read. It has all the bells and whistles that the CE had. Excellent value in this SE.

wyebank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by wyebank on Sep 27, 14 7:56 AM
I really enjoyed this. Smooth play good HO scenes and story. As a DD today its a no brainer for me.

wyebank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by wyebank on Sep 27, 14 7:57 AM
Sorry not a DD today but will still buy with a coupon.

wyebank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by wyebank on Sep 27, 14 8:00 AM
Me again, think I am going mad, when I tried to buy it wanted me to pay £5.39, when I tried again it was DD price £2.30. Anyway I've bought it now so hope I will enjoy it.

Go to: