Starting the thread!

Edited on 10/10/2013 at 9:07:14 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Hotel: Eclipse Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 10, 13 2:26 AM
Too many more games like this and Halloween cannot come and go soon enough. This game is boring, boring, boring. I do not care whatsoever about the story. Neither, it seems do you, the detectives partner. Actually, he stands around a lot letting you do all the dirty work. I suppose it's good then, that nothing rattles you being among ghosts, vampires, werewolves and other raving lunatic adversaries.

Widescreen but truly mediocre artwork for this dev. Three modes of play -- casual has sparkles, advanced has none and hint / skip resets slower, hardcore has no sparkles, hints or skips, but in all 3 modes black bar info remains annoyingly helpful, and available tasks are marked on the quick travel map.

Gameplay:
• modestly interactive HOs
• The first mini game had a pleasing presentation but was much easier than I had hoped
• Tasks are available with a task button, but very straightforward without looking at the list
• Tools are used more than once (one plus for the game)
• There is a different sort of helper
• most inventory items are used pretty quickly; adventuring is not taxing. For heaven's sake, there are even shadows of the items where you need to place them.
• Achievements
• 15 easy to spot collectibles (possibly the most interesting part of this game
• Trophy and collectible rooms
• detective's diary -- he writes a lot and talks a lot and otherwise looks pretty

CE features:
• a Secret Room available after the bonus chapter is complete. If this follows recent Elephant entries, it will be a repeat of puzzles and HOs that reveal more story facts
• Wallpapers and other fluff
• Bonus chapter
• Strategy guide, yes -- again I forget how many chapters. It includes collectible locations.

Sometimes it is okay to just be entertained -- this game doesn't even offer much in that regard. Not much trickery, very few treats.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Oct 10, 13 4:57 AM
I loved the game, The graphics are beautiful and the sounds go very well with the game, Thx DEV's you out did yourselves on this awesome game this will be a buy for me..I hope to see more games like this one..thx BF for this awesome game..what a treat this morning..Please give the game a chance fishes you want be disappointed at all.. : heart: 5

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 10, 13 5:24 AM
Great game seems like fun and lots to do.

shorenuf has given all the relevant information, so I will not repeat it.

Definitlely worth a demo.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Oct 10, 13 5:27 AM
This is a pretty good game. I like spooky games. The HOS are very clear. The hints were very helpful to keep the game moving. The sound and music set the mood and tempo of the game. I will probably wait for the SE version. I have other Haunted Hotel games.

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Oct 10, 13 9:06 AM
Thanks for getting the reviews thread going!

What do you think of Haunted Hotel: Eclipse Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Haunted Hotel: Eclipse Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgSeine

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Oct 10, 13 9:07 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgSeine

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Oct 10, 13 9:19 AM
Based on the demo:

This is number 5 in the Haunted Hotel series and the reason it seems so out of sync with the others is because it was developed by Elephant Games as opposed to the original developers, Special Bit Studios.

It lacks the overall look and feel of fear and dread the first four possessed, and it has none of the storyline sophistication, allure and difficulty. In other words, it has been made into a simplistic, non-evolved and unfeeling iHOG, typical of this developer. Black bar tips absolutely destroy any hope of making the game difficult, not to mention the item outlines. What were they thinking?

I don't know what happened to Special Bits Studios, but it's a shame that another great series has become the victim of a "cookie monster".

Edited on 10/12/2013 at 10:26:15 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Oct 10, 13 11:22 AM
I actually have mixed feelings about this game, while I am a fan of the Haunted Hotel series, this seems to have strayed away from the origial concept. Is this a prequel or merely a standard HOPA game that follows the storyline of a haunted Hotel called the Final Journey? Regardless of the title, the game was fell flat and did not meet my expectations.The hand-drawn artwork gives the overall look a bit of a cartoonish feel to it. Nevertheless the graphics are sharp and there are well acted voice-overs as well as good ambient sounds. The one annoyance is that there are no mouth or facial movements so the characters look like paper cut outs.

You have three modes of difficulty to choose from and game features include a journal, a task list and a map that indicates any actions and allows for travel.Game play is your standard HOPA game with alot of back-tracking which also was a put off for me. You have to go back to a scene several times and each time retrieve one object. Adventure play is your basic seek and find objects to use and Hidden object scenes are standard form with slight interaction. Nothing new there with!

Mini-games are interesting but very simple, or at least the ones I came across during the demo. You have your black bar tips so generally there is alot of hand holding and lacks any sort of challenge.At least the developers have made some atttempt at keeping gameplay interesting in that they have included collectables which were very easy to find, 15 portraits hanging throughout the game. You also have a list of achievements that all have to do with hidden object scenes.Overall the game lacks challenge and for me a bit of a yawn festival.

ALthough the storyline is interesting, monsters in battle with each other, my role as detective/friend of James running around, picking up clues just did not excite me to much.This game would be ideal for beginners however for me, been there and done that. Think I will pass! I actually miss the other haunted hotel games and think I will go back to replay them.

djoneal
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by djoneal on Oct 10, 13 11:48 AM
Game play rather predictable. Puzzles easy. Some puzzles are simply tedious.

I wouldn't spend money for this game.

Edited on 10/10/2013 at 11:49:12 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 10, 13 1:38 PM
Another great game from Elephant games. I enjoyed the storyline and graphics were great as usual. Hints were great and map too. Puzzles were fun and had fun playing them. Will give this 5 out of 5 stars..

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Oct 10, 13 6:05 PM
To Elephant Games Developers - This is a super game to start off the Halloween fun without being dark and grim. Thank you for beautiful graphics which are an excellent progression. Jump map was great and loved the fact that the hint button did not tell me that "there is nothing to do here". Excellent game for replay.

ogrprincs
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by ogrprincs on Oct 10, 13 7:06 PM
Best Haunted Hotel yet. Were the others developed by Elephant Games? If not, then they should go back and redo them.
I will be getting this one, but not right now. I have enough to play. I'll wait for a great sale.

Fafallina
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by Fafallina on Oct 11, 13 5:30 AM
Hespera said it all for me. Won't be buying this one - a feeling that I am getting more and more often with BFG games.

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Oct 11, 13 8:48 PM
I did the demo for this game. Overall, I thought it was pretty good, and just in time for Halloween. I haven't played any of the other Haunted Hotel games, so I cannot compare this one to them. I do think this game is at least worth the free trial!

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 12, 13 6:19 AM
Are there any collectibles in this CE? All the usual bells and whistles, werewolves, vampires? OH scarier good and fants

CE too! Anybody pls let me know where are the collectibles.
Interactive map, interactive HOGs, fun mini puzzles,

GO BUY IT

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Oct 12, 13 5:56 PM
I just finished playing the main game and I still can't decide if I liked it or not!! It is nothing like the other Haunted Hotel games of which I have all and enjoyed them - well, maybe the first one was kinda boring, but still. If you are new to the series, then you will probably like this one alright. But if this game didn't have a map, I would have ripped my hair out and set myself on fire!!! What a confusing configuration of rooms and scenes. I have never seen anything like it. And I agree with SHORENUF. What a bossy partner!! I do all the risky stuff and he just stands around and talks to people. What the?? Anyway, it was just O.K. for me. With a really good sale this weekend, I am off to (hopefully) buy!!!

feenix

muttnutt
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by muttnutt on Oct 14, 13 9:22 AM
Not a buy for me. Puzzles are just too easy, no challenge at all. Predictable and boring. Come on BF, give us something different.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Oct 15, 13 5:33 AM
I don't own any of the prior games in this series, and I'm not sure if I played the demos for those games, so this is new to me. The other longer reviews pretty much discussed all the game elements -- and there are some collectibles -- portraits on the walls you click on and collect, but not terribly interesting. The Detective partner was really boring -- I kept clicking through his comments as fast as possible. It seems like an okay game -- I'm normally an Elephant fan, but despite the fairly gory scenes and concerns about being in a place with vampires and werewolves and what might lie behind the next door, it didn't grab me that much. Nice game, with nice graphics, but not an exceptional story. I also noticed the music being almost non-existent during gameplay, which was strange since it was perfectly clear at the beginning of the game, and when I checked to see if the sound levels had been adjusted down, they had not. If I had the series, I'd probably buy it, but for me, it didn't pique my interest enough. Oh, and Elephant, why are these clearly mid-late 19th century detectives going around in a 18th century carriage??

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Oct 15, 13 11:33 PM
I agree with the other reviewers who said this was the best of the Haunted Hotel Series--it was. It had a lighter feel than #4--Charles Dexter Ward, which had been loosely based on an HP Lovecraft Story. Nor did it have a connection with the other 3, which were about a trans-dimensional hotel that trapped souls from different time periods (the 3rd one of that story thread was so bad it took me a year to complete--literally). This game has more of a fantasy than horror feel and more of the look of Elephant Games Lord of Statues. I give the story, artwork and music high marks--though I didn't feel the animation was quite up to the standards of the Mystery Tracker series--I don't think it was detracting enough to give it less than a 5 star rating. If you generally like Elephant Games offerings don't skip this one.

Go to: