shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Reviews for The Torment of Mont Triste CE

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 12, 13 2:41 AM
A scientist thinks he has invented a way to travel to the world of Dreams. Instead he unleashes the Lord of Nightmares. You are the detective on the case.

I so wanted to like this game, but so much about it is uneven. At first, if it weren't for the somewhat terrorizing story, it seemed geared toward children. The tasks were simple, the first HO's items were easy to find, the first puzzle was ridiculously easy. Nothing really got too much more difficult except for the puzzles. The second one tests your memory. The game ended for me on a door puzzle with an annoyingly difficult second stage.

Three modes of play -- sparkles, no sparkles, no hints or skips. Black bar info and active tasks on the map remain in all modes.
The artwork can be passable or excellent.
Widescreen with black bars top and bottom. In full screen they are as expected, left and right.
The voice overs are okay, characters are not animated.
At the beginning there was some cursor lag and jumpy music; it seemed to get better.

Game play features:
Interactive HOs
Quick travel map
31 collectibles
Achievements
Dream portal amulet
Interesting use of some inventory items
No diary
More puzzles than HOs

CE Extras:
Strategy guide -- fire me, I didn't check # of chapters again! Collectible locations are not shown by chapter but are listed at the end.
Bonus chapter
The usual fluff

It is possible you will get into the game and start to like it despite the simplicity of the adventure. I actually did warm up to it as it went along.The puzzles could make the game a worthwhile effort. And this week end, if there is another CE you've been wanting, this one could be "free" during the "Buy one, get one" sale. You can even do it with 2 game club credits.

Edited on 10/12/2013 at 10:27:53 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Torment of Mont Triste CE

[Post New]by Nilosh on Oct 12, 13 2:57 AM
Good Morning all, Henri Benoit is a scientist obsessed with the idea of channeling into peoples dreams. His obsession soon becomes his madness as he discovers that he can now bring to life people's worst nightmares. Now no one dares to fall asleep in the village of Mont Triste and it is up to you to stop the mysterious Lord of Nightmares before he takes over the world.

I cant say that I am a fan of the graphics, again with the cartoonish artwork but they are never the less bright and sharp. I really to prefer to have some 2 D look to graphics as the characters look a bit like cut out paper dolls. No mouth movements but plenty of voice-overs.

There are three levels of difficulty to choose from and game features a map that will allow for travel. No journal but an amulet that opens up portals into peoples nightmares. A very standard HOPA game with collectables and achievments that may be considered as incentives to spen extra money onthis game.

Adventure aspect is appealing with the usual standard HO scene that have slight interaction. Alot of back-tracking but there is the map to help you with that. Mini-games were interesting, simple at first but they did get a bit more challenging later on, some with a minor level of frustration.

There are hidden goblins throughout the game and relatively as I mentionned, a list of easy achievements.

The game is relatively easy to play and as I noticed from the SG, there are five chapters along with a bonus section. I wasn't actually thrown over by the gameplay as there was too much hand holding and not enough challenge. Although I found the mini-games interesting, the style, sounds and images just did not appeal to me. I really am using the much more complex CE games as reference so I dont think I will be hitting the BUY button just yet. My own personal feeling is use the advantage of the sale today if you can. Not exactly a game that has the WOW factor!

Have a great week-end

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 12, 13 3:02 AM
Ooops! I Like The Bad Guy!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

It’s another ‘mad scientist’ story – or is it? Certainly the idea that we can bridge the gap between real life and dreams sounds pretty nuts, but he does SEEM crazy...

That is the introduction to the game, but it quickly takes on more mystical/magical overtones when the Lord Of Nightmares interrupts the experiment. A powerful scary something, he captures people’s nightmares and makes them real.

Your job is to track down and defeat this monster, and the way to that is through people’s nightmares. As you step into each one, you must resolve the dreamer’s dilemma to lift the Lord’s curse.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS

This game is beautifully crafted, with lots of colour and life. There are plenty of lovely objects, from flowers to puppies, but it is beautiful rather than pretty, and while the puppies etc. are definitely cute, they don’t hang around after your one interaction with them. The HOs are bright, crisp and detailed.

The soundtrack is interesting. The music is quite different from what I’m used to, and often you are left with no music at all. Sometimes there are ONLY sound effects. In snowy scenes this is really effective. There are some excellent voiceovers as well, and they don’t try for lip sync – the characters’ mouths are still. I much prefer that to a botched lip sync.

MAKING PROGRESS

There is a balance towards puzzle/mini-games, with 12 HO puzzles and about 35 puzzles, and away from adventure and quest style gameplay. The HOPs are interactive list, with quite a few interactions required. The puzzles are mostly familiar, but some are redesigned to make them more difficult (such as a more difficult matching pairs memory game), and others are just presented in a unique way. There is a directional hint, and an interactive jump map. The map annoys me – it is supposed to show ‘areas of interest’ but often doesn’t in places I think it should.

CE BLING!

Achievements are many, and include each of the 21 goblin collectibles. The SG was a help the couple of times I looked at it. There are the usual gallery items, including:

wallpaper, concept art, screensavers, movies, music and replayable HOPs and puzzles. Enough here I think to justify the CE price tag.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS

I am convinced I will enjoy this game, but I don’t expect to be floored by it. It’s a good game, and ...

I recommend this game!

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Oct 12, 13 6:56 AM
This game I am truly enjoying. I rate it 5 stars. The humor is awesome. I love the way they had written the story as well as the main character's dialogue. Going into different dreams is cool. I am truly enjoying the characters of the game and the whole concept of the game. Kudos to the team!

Story: You have to go into the people's nightmares and set things straight as well as apprehend the Lord of Nightmares. (Different concept and makes me want to see what happens).

Music: Done really well and fits the game just right. Kudos to the team.

Mini Games: So far from the ones I did, not hard or easy, just right.

Hint System: Can be used in or out of H0GS.

Map: Jump map.

Graphics: Really beautiful. Yes, on the cartoon side, but extremely well done. Kudos guys!

Well, going back to the game as I want to see what happens next!

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Oct 12, 13 8:13 AM
I loved everything about this game.

Played advanced mode, HOS interesting and not too draining and objects easy to find, graphics amazing, puzzles needing patience rather than brains, music in keeping, cute critters and loved the humour along the way.

Excellent level of challenge, and rare I play a game to the end including bonus chapter.

Only gripe is that game didn't save after my trial hour, so had to restart.

Wish more CE games were of this quality. Made a refreshing change and a lot of work had gone into it by the devs.

The cut scenes were beautifully drawn. I won't go into all the game details, as other fishies do it beautifully and more eloquently than I can.

All in all, was sorry when game ended.

Just hope fiery and icey butterflies aren't going to become the norm as appeared in Ce games twice in two days.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Oct 12, 13 8:19 AM
I was thinking maybe of buying this, because of the sale -- there's another game I've been wanting and I thought I'd get this as the second game, but it's kind of a strange game for me. I liked parts of the demo quite a bit, but found a predictability in the play -- ah another HOP around the corner -- and for the adventure part of the game, it's pretty obvious where most of the items you search out belong. I liked finding the goblin figures (or whatever they were supposed to be), but there was virtually no challenge in finding them. I exited with about 4 minutes left in the demo, after using a hint in a HOP once. Which must be a record for me, since I lose patience very easily, but generally the level of game play is pretty simple. I had absolutely no technical problems on my relatively new widescreen Windows 8, but I did start having a bizarre message showing up -- a glitchy thing -- when I used the wrong object in a scene -- something about string something, error, used wrong object, with a number in there. That alone and the relatively simplicity of the game will stop me from buying it, even though since getting my new computer, I've had almost no technical issues, but I know from experience, hoping things go well in a game doesn't always make them so. So no buy, despite the great scenery, costumes and not too bad acting.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 12, 13 9:04 AM
Thanks for getting the reviews thread going!

What do you think of The Torment of Mont Triste Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the The Torment of Mont Triste Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 12, 13 9:05 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Oct 12, 13 10:23 AM
Based on the demo

This game is a substantial improvement over The Torment of Whitehall, but still below Sulus' trademark Tarot Card Mysteries series. The graphics are beautifully rendered and the cut scenes and animations are done very well and blend in nicely. The music and ambient FX are also well done and not obtrusive or 'showy' if you get my drift.

The storyline is 'meh' but isn't "dark" and the puzzles are easy. There are collectibles, achievements and even a few cute critters that help you out from time to time (no worries though, you don't have to dress them). And although the game doesn't offer much in the way of a challenges, it will provide a few hours of pretty entertainment.

Forgot to add - there is a minor bug but I believe it is confined to the 'special' or interactive objects in the HO scenes if you attempt to use one of the interactive objects incorrectly. Then you see the program string instead of a text message. It's minor, however, it is a bug and should be fixed as it will serve to confuse many and it just looks bad. Don't know how this got through Beta testing.

Edited on 10/12/2013 at 9:53:37 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 12, 13 12:37 PM
Today's game has clean, clear graphics and nice game play. Colors are quite vibrant. HOGs are quite simple and easy to find items. Puzzles are very simple. Voice overs are well done. No, their mouth doesn't move, but it's a game, not real life. You can click through the dialogue for those who read faster than they speak.

Collectables are very easy to find, you just have to remember to look for them in each location and area. Tasks are straight forward, nothing difficult here either. SG is easy to follow. Hint system works well and fills fairly quickly. It's sort of a "no brainer" kind of game, so you don't really need to use the hint or the SG on this one. Some running back and forth, but not constant as in a lot of games. Jump map works well, but areas are not identified...like I'm suppose to remember where everything is?

There is a locking inventory bar, which I really like. Not really challenging and by no means edge of your seat type of play. By the time I got to the end of the demo, I was ready for a nap (not because I found it boring). This game did not grab me, but I found it interesting and may get it for my collection. Nice special today, so for now, it goes in my puddle to see what comes up tomorrow. This game might appeal to the beginner, or the person who just wants to breeze through the day (as I do sometimes).

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you need today. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Oct 12, 13 9:12 PM
Have only played the Demo so far and I'm still up in the air about whether to buy or not. If there wasn't such a good sale going on this weekend, it would be a definite "no", but buy one get one free always gets my attention! I personally thought the mini-games (and in the less than hour I played, I encountered quite a few), were difficult and frustrating (the one with the glass shards? how do you keep them in the mirror???) that is just one example and since I enjoy the mini-games ALOT more than HOS, I'm just not sure about this one. Ofcourse, I completed some, but the artwork, the storyline, Not crazy about them either. I just don't know at this point. If I find a CE by Sunday that I really like, I will give this one a chance - It will be free!!!

feenix

cookeemama
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by cookeemama on Oct 14, 13 1:29 PM
I really liked this game. BUT the mini games were very hard. They didn't make sense most of the time. I must have skipped all but 1. Very frustrating. Thank goodness the skip button warmed up fast.
The bonus game was fun as well. (Except for the mini games).
I bought this as a buy 1 get 1.

JamieJBD
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by JamieJBD on Nov 19, 13 12:19 PM
I finished the game a few minutes ago. Took me a few days. I really enjoyed it. I play a lot of hidden object games, but for some reason this one felt "different" More challenging, maybe? I loved how I was able to go into the dreams..etc....
All in all it was fun. I see someone said the mini-games were very hard. I'm glad to see that. I thought it was just me. Very hard can be a good thing!!

Go to: