Reviews for Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 13, 13 2:41 AM
A New HO Style In A Good Game

BASED ON DEMO

The thing that stands out most about this game is its HOPs. Not that it is a HO game, mind you, it is definitely a HO Puzzle Adventure (HOPA), but the new style gives the game an interesting twist.

The HOP is the familiar interactive list, but the list is quite long and you won’t see some items until you’ve cleared enough of the list. As well, there are 2 or 3 silhouettes to be found, and these will be needed to interact within the scene in order to find other items on the list. It sounds a bit awkward, but it is fun to play.

The other gameplay is good too. The puzzles are not all original, but a number of them are, and others are stylish adaptations of some familiar ones.

The adventure action is fairly linear, I had little use for the directional hint and interactive jump map, but they’re always nice to have. Inventory includes items which can be combined. There is a task list as well.

There are the usual black bar thought/hints, but they are not so obvious in the help they offer, and the sparkles even on the easiest level are not overwhelming.

The story is a nice change, being a little different from the usual ‘rescue relative’. The relative is your Dad, a cop killed in the line of duty, and the amulet you find takes you back to only two hours before his death, which is the timeframe you have for changing the events that lead to his death. I really like this story, and can’t remember many others that use time travel this way.

The graphics are good without being in danger of being spectacular. But they are bright and colourful, ‘cheery with the occasional eerie’, which also describes the music. Voices are quite well done. The HO scenes are clear and precise, and objects are easily found.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I chose to wait for the SE of this one, and I’m still convinced, looking at it, that I made the right choice. An excellent example of a SE game.

I recommend this game!

Edited on 10/13/2013 at 8:51:24 AM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 13, 13 3:43 AM
I am LOVING THIS GAME! As some said in the CE reviews, there are no bells and whistles. Straightforward but interesting story. It is sort of a relief not to have to collect and achieve!! You use your inventory stuff and move on. Easy HOs, good puzzles.
This game just has a way of engaging you. You don't want to stop playing. It flows.
Another thing I love is that I so far have not run into robots or machine parts, etc.
I am still in a house and surrounding areas which is so nice for a change.
Thank you developers. Good job. I bought of course and am enjoying very much!!

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 13, 13 8:51 AM
Thanks for getting the reviews thread going!

What do you think of Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby? We'd love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you're experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by dippydebby on Oct 13, 13 11:57 AM
Loved this game!

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Oct 13, 13 4:33 PM
I enjoyed this game. Especially the puzzles, which were simple to medium but right down my alley as to type. It was a nice little twist on the HO's to make the interactive objects in silhouette and I liked the bits about finding codes carved on things...didn't have any problems technically...liked the plot progression. All in all, four stars.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Oct 14, 13 1:03 AM
Based on the demo, I thought this was a really good game. I didn't really find anything distasteful as some have mentioned. It is, after all, only a game and the characters are only animations. If you are that sensitive, you probably should avoid trying games with the word "Dark" in the title.

The only criticism I have is that when you as the daughter arrive in the past, and you're trying to save your father from being murdered, why do you spend an entire hour running around the house unlocking things and solving puzzles with no apparent goal? I almost forgot why I was there, and as a result got bored before the end of the demo.

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Oct 14, 13 10:46 AM
I guess if she just stood there there would not be much game play !!! sorry do not mean to be cheeky !!!. Almost finished demo and I am going to use a punchcard credit and buy ... hey it is monday... a bonus punch to boot !!!!
I have enjoyed the demo, map is useful, not too dark, HO scenes clear and fairly easy, puzzles fun , so far no progressive click to, "Turn all lights green" etc . Have not checked walkthrough so no idea of length... no matter will take what I get, will get back when finish game .

nance91947
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nance91947 on Oct 17, 13 3:31 AM
LOVE this game--thanks BFG and developers!!
What a pleasant change, especially considering my version isn't a CE.
Especially love the new "twist" on the hidden objects -- very clever and
creative!!
This game has a way of "wrapping you up in it" and you just don't
want to leave the game. Length of play is great, too!
Highly recommend your trying this delightful, challenging game!!
Thanks BFG!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Oct 24, 13 6:51 AM
excellent game

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 12, 13 1:35 AM
I didn't get the ending. Is the father alive? The puppet says he's free, but free to do what? Does it turn into a real boy? If it does, what will he do with his mother gone and his father dead? Wander around all by himself forever?

Wonderful game, but aren't we supposed to know what happened in the end? Guess I never will.

Edited on 11/12/2013 at 1:40:40 AM PST

adinah
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by adinah on Nov 14, 13 6:49 PM
I found this game to be a nice change. the story was different and the games were rarely too hard - if you tried. The map was fantastic - no wandering around wondering where you saw the item you need to solve the next step.I had hesitated to buy because of some negative reviews -glad I changed my mind. It was a relaxing puzzle.

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Jun 24, 14 4:01 PM
Based on finished game:

WOW! Such a different game in so many ways. Brilliant, crisp graphics (reminded moi of Elephant games), superb lighting, so many beautifully drawn + detailed locations, fantastic story (enough to keep me playing in one sitting....an absolute rarity!), clear HOPs, easy to difficult puzzles (some had such a cool twist to them) and gosh.....I could go on but won't....so refreshing! I liked how the puppet was woven into it.

The part of making pizza made me so hungry......it's an overcast, rainy day today. Of course, I would've added more toppings! So many details I liked, too many to list. The cherubs playing trumpets to imitate the 'Walls of Jericho"? Neat!

The travel map was very helpful but I rarely used it because I wanted to look at each location over and over again. Didn't want it to end (another rarity for me).

I got it w/ a PCC.....this one was worth paying full price!
Deserves 7 + a for the ruby at the end!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Oct 4, 14 11:41 PM
Well, I don't know how I missed this little gem before?! Loved this game and got it today for $2.99!! It was worth ten times that much. I admit some of the mini-games frustrated me (and I love mini-games), and others were so easy. But all in all, no fault with anything this game has to offer. The graphics were very nice, the music fit perfectly, the voice overs not annoying, the HOS not boring, and I really liked the story line. What a pleasant surprise on a Saturday nite!! Glad I got the SE, according to reviews, the CE would have been unnessary. Loved it!!

feenix

Go to: