try3cats
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
430 Posts

Who are high ranking likes?

[Post New]by try3cats on Oct 15, 13 2:54 AM
How many likes do have to have to even be rank?
Just started playing about a month ago
My Gold Island only has 1 like in spite of having a lot of monsters, one of every kind from Plant Island and several others (I just put # 19 on it).
My other islands are decorated for Halloween with pumpkins. Some are even waiting for the Great Pumpkin.

Aiwevanya
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

Re:Who are high ranking likes?

[Post New]by Aiwevanya on Oct 15, 13 12:05 PM
Last I looked I was #102 with 118 likes for my Plant Island. I would be curious to know how many it takes to get into the top 10, but also probably kind of depressed.

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Oct 15, 13 12:32 PM
Aiwevanya wrote:Last I looked I was #102 with 118 likes for my Plant Island. I would be curious to know how many it takes to get into the top 10, but also probably kind of depressed.

Wow, 118? I was feeling rather lucky having all of my islands being liked by others, but I'm nowhere near having 118 on any of them. Not that I was expecting anything, so I'm not disappointed either. I'm getting those diamonds my own way and it's a lot quicker than trying to get into the top ten. But just how do those top ten winners each week receive their diamonds anyway? Do their diamond numbers just automatically get increased when they log into the game?

try3cats
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
430 Posts

[Post New]by try3cats on Oct 15, 13 3:27 PM
How do you know you are # 118? Where is this info?

Aiwevanya
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by Aiwevanya on Oct 15, 13 3:34 PM
The number of likes is at the top of the info page for the castle. The reason I know what weekly # my island is, or rather was as of yesterday sometime is because I scrolled that far through the top islands while I was waiting for an egg to hatch. If there's an easier way to find out I don't know what it is, though I would like to.

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Oct 15, 13 6:56 PM
try3cats wrote:How many likes do have to have to even be rank?
Just started playing about a month ago
My Gold Island only has 1 like in spite of having a lot of monsters, one of every kind from Plant Island and several others (I just put # 19 on it).
My other islands are decorated for Halloween with pumpkins. Some are even waiting for the Great Pumpkin.

That was probably my like... ... sounds like the island I admired some days ago. Sadly a lot of really nice islands are hard to find, since you only happen upon them at random. Myself, I only have 7 likes for my plant island and 1 like each for my ice and air island... none for my water island yet. So I guess I'll never end up getting into the "most liked" list. *shrugs*

F_O_A
Herring
Herring
334 Posts

[Post New]by F_O_A on Oct 15, 13 9:08 PM
My Plant Island has 42 likes and is at #211....

So stop by if your up to clicking 211 times
AND YES I did click that many times

ADDED: so if you have between 42 likes and 118 likes you've made the top island list somewhere over rank 100!

Edited on 10/15/2013 at 9:43:34 PM PST

F_O_A
Herring
Herring
334 Posts

[Post New]by F_O_A on Oct 15, 13 9:15 PM
annatar wrote:Sadly a lot of really nice islands are hard to find, since you only happen upon them at random. Myself, I only have 7 likes for my plant island and 1 like each for my ice and air island... none for my water island yet. So I guess I'll never end up getting into the "most liked" list. *shrugs*

Personally - I don't think that the 'random' island visits are truly random. I think the ones that get liked more often get more 'random' visits thus getting liked more frequently.
Last week I kept getting sent 'randomly' to this one gold island with monsters all along the outer edge. It was nice and I liked it, but then I got sent there 'randomly' at least 20 more times last week. This week I see it's made the list at 115ish - somewhere in there...

Aiwevanya
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by Aiwevanya on Oct 15, 13 9:24 PM
F_O_A wrote:My Plant Island has 42 likes and is at #211....

Next time I'm waiting for something I might go and check it out. Can you describe it so that I know which ones yours if it's moved a few places in the mean time?

F_O_A
Herring
Herring
334 Posts

[Post New]by F_O_A on Oct 15, 13 9:40 PM
Aiwevanya wrote:
F_O_A wrote:My Plant Island has 42 likes and is at #211....

Next time I'm waiting for something I might go and check it out. Can you describe it so that I know which ones yours if it's moved a few places in the mean time?

It's my Plant Island. All the monsters are facing out toward the edges of the island and the viewer, sort of like an upside down V. There's a zig zag path running horizontally across the middle of the island. My two furcorns are singing into those horn decorations front and center. Maw is in the front between the furcorns. Oh and I left the big rock in the middle/front of the island, there's a pink tree in front of it.

Thanks for asking, I hope you visit! I wish I could reciprocate directly, but if you describe your favorite island maybe I'll run across it!

Aiwevanya
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by Aiwevanya on Oct 15, 13 9:55 PM
Actually you can, in fact you probably have visited my plant island. It has three different sized Furcorns outside their hut up on the left hand side platform (their names are Bigglefig, Migglefig & Ligglefig). Also just last night I managed to get the coin together to buy a Leafy Sea Dragon (fountain) so my Toejammers, Pummels and Fwog are clustered around that so they can keep properly hydrated.

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Oct 15, 13 10:22 PM
Aiwevanya wrote:Actually you can, in fact you probably have visited my plant island. It has three different sized Furcorns outside their hut up on the left hand side platform (their names are Bigglefig, Migglefig & Ligglefig). Also just last night I managed to get the coin together to buy a Leafy Sea Dragon (fountain) so my Toejammers, Pummels and Fwog are clustered around that so they can keep properly hydrated.

I often admire your island because of the cool way you have arranged your monsters. In addition to having your "wet" monsters around the fountain, you have your "rock" monsters around the mine, your oaktopuses among the trees and your entbrat beside that hut with potbellies in front. I also always laugh at your white "baker" among the ovens. And yes, you got my vote long ago......

F_O_A
Herring
Herring
334 Posts

[Post New]by F_O_A on Oct 15, 13 10:26 PM
Aiwevanya wrote:Actually you can, in fact you probably have visited my plant island. It has three different sized Furcorns outside their hut up on the left hand side platform (their names are Bigglefig, Migglefig & Ligglefig). Also just last night I managed to get the coin together to buy a Leafy Sea Dragon (fountain) so my Toejammers, Pummels and Fwog are clustered around that so they can keep properly hydrated.

I'll be on the lookout.

Aiwevanya
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by Aiwevanya on Oct 15, 13 10:34 PM
annatar wrote:

I often admire your island because of the cool way you have arranged your monsters. In addition to having your "wet" monsters around the fountain, you have your "rock" monsters around the mine, your oaktopuses among the trees and your entbrat beside that hut with potbellies in front. I also always laugh at your white "baker" among the ovens. And yes, you got my vote long ago......

You just made my day, thank you.

cloudy999
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by cloudy999 on Oct 16, 13 3:31 AM
i keep seeing the same sorry island as #1 in rank. how does that happen?! i am stinkin' thinkin'!!

Aiwevanya
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by Aiwevanya on Oct 16, 13 5:57 AM
Well there's a couple of factors other than how good an island is that determine whether it gets likes. One is discoverability, that is, how easy it is to find an island. As no one can vote for an island they've never visited, an island that is easier to visit is more likely to get votes and sitting at #1 gives that island the greatest discoverability of all as anyone who clicks on the visit top islands link will see it.

Another is novelty factor, this is more theoretical as I'm basing it purely on my own reactions, but I suspect it's similar for other people. The first time you see something on an island it has greater impact, and if it's a cool thing, makes you more likely to hit the like button. The flip side of that is a kind of fatigue that sets in and stops you hitting that button once you've seen that thing over and over even if you thought it was cool the first time you saw it. Again #1 benefits as it's likely an island you see early on unless you spend a lot of time visiting random islands before you ever check out the top islands.

Basically that island got to #1 early on (remember that the game is still pretty new on PC) and those factors (and possibly others I haven't thought of) have kept it there ever since. I've been watching the rankings though and there is movement, even within the top ten so I'm pretty sure that this will eventually self correct and the top spots will go to islands that are generally considered better.

kayette
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
474 Posts

[Post New]by kayette on Oct 16, 13 10:52 AM
I try to visit the random islands 2 or 3 times a day and vote like if they have interesting things or music happening. When I visit the top islands, I have started to 'dislike' any that I feel really don't deserve a top rating. The only way to get the islands that deserve notice on the top list is to like the good ones and stop voting 'like' on the mediocre ones at the top.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Oct 16, 13 11:00 AM
Fatigue does set in. My approach now in order to try to avoid it is to select "Top Islands" and click by the top 25, then the top 50, then the top 75, etc., as fast as I can, trying not to look at them, as I cast my votes among those long ago. Each time, I take the first 25 from my new starting point and click back and forth among them until I've picked my five favorites.

If I miss seeing some with this method, it is because they have moved up in the rankings and probably don't need my vote, anyway. If some drop in rank, I'll probably see them again and they'll get their second chance. I don't do this every day but I hope I'll get to see most of the islands people have worked so hard on. My next trip will take me to islands 175-199. I passed one of mine on the way but I don't recall where it was except not in the top 100.

try3cats
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
430 Posts

[Post New]by try3cats on Oct 17, 13 1:05 AM
My Plant Island has 5 Entbrats, ones a baby. My Furcorn is up high, on the left, by 2 statues (1 statue below him) facing the Entbrats, like he is their leader. 2 Mammotts, & 2 Noggins in front of the Entbrats. Then a whole line of pumpkins running from just below the Furcorn, in front of the Noggins and Drummlers, To the Band of Monsters (Clamble, Bowgart, Shrubb, Oaktopus, Maw, & Pummel)on the right. With more pumpkins place by monsters. I decorated for Halloween. with 55 like it is in the 200's.

My other islands which are rarely seen- have pathways leading to a pumpkin patch or display, with monsters waiting for The Great PumpKin or Punkleton.

p

F_O_A
Herring
Herring
334 Posts

[Post New]by F_O_A on Oct 17, 13 4:36 AM
Aiwevanya - I've looked for your island at least 4 times and I'm just not getting it in my random island visits - it's very disappointing! I'm gonna be on the lookout for others that people post about, but my random islands seems to be on a loop and I see the same one's over and over...

I try to pick most of my likes from my random island visits because I feel I'm being the most impartial that way. I don't the rank of the island or if it's even ranked. I'm usually slightly frustrated when cycling through the random islands just because I see so many repeats so if I like an Island then, then I know it must be fabulous Also, I like to think I may be seeing a previously 'undiscovered gem'

Aiwevanya's definitely right when talking about the novelty factor, now I try to look for visually stimulating islands, without simply being 'novel', whose music is pleasant!

Go to: