bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

Reviews for The Happy Hereafter

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Oct 15, 13 9:10 AM
What do you think of The Happy Hereafter? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other users here!

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

Re:Reviews for The Happy Hereafter

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 15, 13 12:01 PM
Funny Little Build Game

BASED ON DEMO

Charming and different, this game is such an odd little one, it is hard to know where to start with it. The very premise of the game is cute. Nice little zombies just waiting to worship you as their God, and a new nirvana to create.

Well, it is a build game, one where you get your workers to achieve your goals, trying to keep them all busy and get the resources you need. In this way it is no different than the dozens of build games out there. With this one, though, you must also keep your workers happy, which seems to mean keeping the food up. Sounds like me. *grin*

There are lots of funny-looking zombies to meet and to help, artifacts to find, territory to explore and quests to complete. You have an assistant who tells you what others want of you and arrows indicating where your destination is. So there is plenty of hand holding in the beginning if you want it. It was almost more than I could stand, and I like help in these sort of games. Presumably that will not go on forever.

The nice thing about this game, too, is that there are no time limits or points to achieve to stress you out. You can explore and build and develop and acquire resources at your own pace.

The game looks good, its graphics are cartoony and funny, and the lands are imaginative. The music strikes me as perfect for this game, upbeat and a little shambolic.

So, if you like a giggle in your game, you might do far worse than this “happy hereafter”.

I recommend this game!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Oct 15, 13 12:58 PM
I hope my review doesn't get removed because I DO consider it a review yet often times of late, my reviews are removed based on including an opinion.

So here goes:

Yes, we DID, in my opinion need another TM / Sim type game 'yay' on that... yet zombie characters? Really?!

I mean, think about it... this game is described as cute and cheerful and yet at the same time we are guiding the newly dead as they build an afterlife for themselves and their fellow lost souls... huh? what?

Lol... at the very least... it is a complete oxymoron in the scheme of things; but then again... just look at the scheme of things in general... hah!

Sigh... again, bottom line... I am glad there is another TM/Sim type game but not glad this is based on the undead. I would not, despite my own DD's rebuttal to same , recommend this game for that reason and never will unless, of course, I some day become a completely brain dead zombie and then I hope someone can help ME in THIS life.
Just saying.

Teddyfish
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by Teddyfish on Oct 15, 13 3:00 PM
Thank You...I do like 'giggle' in my games and I was so hoping you..."Just The Facts" and a few others would comment on this game.

Thank you again!

Teddy

Badgerrrt
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by Badgerrrt on Oct 15, 13 3:22 PM
This is a heartfelt "Thank You" for all of the special and caring people who take the time and trouble to post reviews for the games! Your efforts and reviews are truly appreciated! I frequently read them for tips and insights into the games. I find them very helpful and entertaining!
Blessings to you all for all you do! Badger.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Oct 16, 13 10:52 AM
Whoops! I must be the exception on this one. Had difficult time controlling the little characters. Game didn't make any sense to me at all. Hard for me to understand the A----- name on the game as company representing it. Unlike their other games in my opinion. Not interested in finishing the demo this time. Sorry.

grabit2
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by grabit2 on Oct 19, 13 4:15 PM
love this game! it was too short! good work guys, is there a sequel in the works? please? i've played it through three times now...

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 21, 13 4:04 PM
Quite a delightful game, but cursor movement can be frustrating, It requires some amt of patience as its pretty tasks based

Get with free stamp

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Reviews for The Happy Hereafter

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Oct 31, 13 12:53 PM
I felt simultaneously chivvied as to what I needed to do and left in the dark as to WHY doing something made sense. And I never felt entirely comfortable that I'd made the optimal assignments of my people.

Definitely not a buy for me.

[Post New]by chriscone on Oct 31, 13 6:55 PM
Nice little game but because I was proactive? I reached a point where i was unable to finish the game. This was caused in part by not being able to upgrade the warehouse to level 3 which may be a result of not being able to build level 3 shelves, even though I have a level 3 workshop. Anyway, probably best to wait for a fix before purchase.

[Post New]by Sevenlillies on Nov 2, 13 8:56 AM
I like the concept, but couldn't really get into it. I got stuck on trying to build a bridge and couldn't find any help or walkthroughs so I have to call it quits. I have to say that this game was not worth the money.

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Nov 5, 13 12:38 PM
I really like this kind of game. I didn't particularly care for the "hereafter" theme, but at least the people never age or die. However, they don't gain experience or levels, either. At first I was put off by the flying pig, knight, and robed guy attacks, but they don't get worse over time, and they don't take much stuff even if you ignore them.

There's a big quest bug. If you upgrade your warehouse before receiving and accepting the quest, it will never acknowledge that you've done the quest and you will stop getting new quests. Only the warehouse is bugged like that. I did a play-through where I aggressively did as much as I could before getting the quest, (except for the warehouse upgrades), and I had no problem finishing the game. All other build and upgrade quests acknowledged that I had done them.

Quests to gather, make, or sell something do have to be done after you accept the quest to count. (Note that you can mouse-over a quest and see what it's about, but you need to click on it and accept it before it's active.)

Some other issues:

The adviser tells you to toggle magic mode on and use it on the altar three times. You actually need to click 9 times to finish the quest.

The adviser tells you to search the map for the flying pigs. That's bad advice. All those attackers go after your warehouse (the big red-shingled house you start with), so it's best to guard it and take out the pigs as they approach.

The adviser tells you to use your magic on the knights. Nope, don't toggle magic mode, just click on them like with the pigs.

There is a quest to sell 5 "wood". In fact you need to make 5 no-star planks and sell them.

The build/upgrade menu shows the requirements needed, and which ones you currently meet. However, some upgrades have a gem requirement that isn't shown.

Off screen workers would occasionally stop working. I think this happened when I used the circus to make everyone fed and happy. I would notice I was not getting production from someone, and when I scrolled the screen to see them I would spot them coming out of their "becoming happy" animation, and then they went back to work.

elizaew
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
408 Posts

[Post New]by elizaew on Nov 8, 13 6:24 PM
I seem to be the exception here. I don't like the game play. I find the motion to move around the screen makes me slightly seasick. I find it's a little clunky to move the characters. The tasks are sometimes confusing - unclear or buggy or something. Most of the tasks aren't really very fun although a few are. I think they could be fun if you could move around the screen and move characters differently. Not sure. Mostly this game play is just kind of boring. On the positive side - LOVE the graphics! Among the best I've seen. Love the supernatural theme! Music really boring.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Jun 16, 14 8:49 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with most of the reviews here. I almost don't want to admit that I wont be buying this game. I feel this silly need to support all of the time management/builder games that show up here but playing this was *quite* the chore.
I have all of the big name building sim games & they all do a great job at making it worthwhile or fulfilling or rewarding to complete tasks. Also, there usually in the good games are logical progressions from one task to another and. . . I dunno this game just did not FLOW.
I cant tell you how much it hurts me to not have liked The Happy Hereafter.

The death theme doesn't bother me (strangely enough, considering that I've been recently diagnosed with some tumors) I guess I know whats meant to be entertainment vs. what isn't - but the darkness in both graphics & "feel" are kind of dismal. Combined with the game's inability to make me CARE, that's a big, big no deal.

Go to: