cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

I Don't Get the Ending (probably sort of a spoiler just to answer!)

[Post New]by cat52 on Oct 16, 13 4:34 AM
So there's Evil Dude invoking Dark Blessing. Bright Sun covers Moon and Nasty Dagger cuts Evil Dude's palm. Ground opens up, swallows E.D. Kingdom saved, ta-dah.

I figure the sun covering the moon at the critical point caused the knife to slice E.D. but what caused the sun to show up? How does this relate to the heroine who "saves the kingdom" - I couldn't see what she had to do with anything. In fact, I wasn't sure what anything had to do with anything. What did I miss??

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:I Don't Get the Ending (probably sort of a spoiler just to answer!)

[Post New]by tammytheo on Oct 16, 13 3:09 PM
Probably the fact that when it comes to fantasy games there is no point trying to be "politically correct".

Edited on 10/16/2013 at 3:32:56 PM PST

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Oct 16, 13 4:55 PM
I must be losing it. For sure. I don't see what your answer has to do with my question. I just want to know what the heck is happening at the end, who did what to what sort of thing. Was there any rationale for how things worked out?

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Oct 16, 13 7:23 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive or confusing. I just wanted to point out that usually there is not much reasoning behind a fairytale game so maybe trying to understand is kind of unavailing. I played the CE of this game about a month ago, forgive me for not remembering all the details, and the ending of the main game seemed rather reasonable, within the "lightness" that fairytales have anyway. I'm sorry again. I should have been more vigilant with my wording.

ETA a well intentioned and kindly remark. I believe your initial post suggests that you found the story of the game completely incomprehensible so my "there is no point trying to find reasoning in a fantasy game" answer, could be kind of relevant to your question after all.

Edited on 10/18/2013 at 10:18:31 AM PST

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Oct 18, 13 7:25 AM
I didn't find your answer offensive

I followed the plot, such as it was, throughout the story. Plots can be stated in terms of O-O-O: object-obstacle-outcome. The first object was for the main character apparently to find the two doves. Obstacles were all the game puzzles. Outcome was the leading lady found them, sort of inconsequentially because of the second object, which was for the main character to rescue the King. Obstacles - the puzzles again. Outcome - the King was rescued and proposes. The story teller actually sits there and says what these objects are.

I'm fine right up to the last scene when the King is rescued. Most stories, including game stories, have what's sometimes called internal consistency. That is, they may resemble nothing in real life, but magic within the story works the same way throughout, and internally, within the fantasy rules set up in the game, the story is both consistent and "logical." This game followed these precepts right up to the final scene, when the action (or non-action) of the main character seemed to have nothing to do with the King's rescue. That's where my confusion is - maybe I missed something, like the story teller saying "All you have to do is stand there while the Evil Dude invokes the Evil Powers and he will be thwarted." Or maybe I missed the lead character actually doing something when I watched the cutscene? Or maybe the game was flawed and the ending was illogical (in terms of the game's logic)

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Oct 18, 13 11:55 AM
Well understood and agreed cat52. Sorry for not being able to help. Hopefully another fellow player will come along and shed some light on this.

Take care.

Edited on 10/18/2013 at 6:14:37 PM PST

Go to: