shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Reviews for Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Beanstalk CE

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 19, 13 1:32 AM
Definitely a fairy tale fashioned after Jack and the Beanstalk. You are a recent graduate of the Magician Academy. The Brothers Grimm need your assistance, it's all about beans. Jack traded the family cow for what appear to be worthless beans; you need to get them from Jack. A shadowy figure is using bad magic to wreak havoc on the town. You need to dispel the magic.

A pleasant enough game; may I strongly suggest the most pleasure would be derived playing it along with a small child.

It is a FROG of sorts -- you must find parts to make a whole, but most parts are themselves whole objects. The mechanic is a bit annoying -- you won't be able to pick up clearly visible items until you come across what you need them for. Game play also includes interactive HOs of the list variety and pretty simple puzzles.

The artwork is that of a hand drawn storybook -- appropriate and well done. The characters are voiced.

There are 3 difficulty levels (casual, advanced and custom), but none offer challenge. You cannot even totally turn off sparkles. The quick travel map displays active tasks in all modes.

There are 40 collectibles, and a room that displays them. The game has no achievements.

There is a diary that captures story highlights. You can switch between inventory you have collected and tasks (items left to find) using buttons below the inventory bar.

CE content:
Strategy Guide -- 7 chapters
Bonus Chapter
Concept art
Movies
Wallpapers

No small children nearby -- I will pass on this game.

Edited on 10/19/2013 at 9:48:38 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Beanstalk CE

[Post New]by Nilosh on Oct 19, 13 1:37 AM
Goodmorning Fishies, I guess I will go first:

Review based on demo

Is it me or are CE games losing their impact on me. Today our story is based on one of Grimm's best selling novel, Jack and the Beanstalk and as a recent graduated investigator from the Grimm Brothers Institute, you must use climb up the famous beanstalk to battle the mighty rampaging giant and protect the world from destruction.

Game graphics are poor not to mention blurry animations and artwork that I found unappealing. I enjoy handdrawn artwork, but some of the scens just game me a headache. Voice overs are well done as is the music. You have three modes of difficulty settings that can be customized but unfortunately despite not wanting glint, I still got glint! Dont worry about not finding an object, you will get glint.

Gameplay is your basic HOPA and FROG lovers rejoice because the game is one big Fragmented object scene whereby clicking on an area of interest, you need to collect parts of related objects depicted in your task bar. Each area of interest will open up a task bar and once you collected all the parts, you get to use the item. The frustrating thing is that you need to access an area of interest before picking up objects and they are all over the place. Thank God for the map that not only allows you travel, but also will indicates areas of interest.

I did not like the graphics, I found the storyline weak and gameplay really too basic. Mini-puzzles were a joke, more child's play and you have the glints to help you out. The hint button was just plain nuts, good luck trying to follow the sparkles which direct you.

Clever developers added collectables, sixty easter eggs very well camoflaged and difficult to spot at times. WHy not beans? WHat do easter eggs have to do with the storyline?

Again I will be unpopular but the game was just tedious, all over the place and nothing remotely challenging. I finished the demo time well before the clock ended and my recommendation, dont waste your pennies on this one. Wait for the SE or use a discount.

Jack and the beanstalk was one of my least favorite story, I always rooted for the Giant!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Oct 19, 13 2:04 AM
i agree totally with nilosh!enough of childish game just foolish with no interest!if in the last year it was mad hospital and mad doctors,now the fairytales are on every turn of the way!and i think it would be right to publish one and one more mature and horror game in the same week!this one is just average and does not deserve the CE!well for 6-8 children,and i 'm not sure they 'll be interested with!
and there is one achievement:find eggs!why eggs?not hard to find and there is 40 of them to pick!a lack of interest for me,i just find this one boring!the last one also!"sigh"!where are MCF?????

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Oct 19, 13 2:12 AM
What? What are all these tabs in my inventory? What do they want? Forget about it!

addictedtofish
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by addictedtofish on Oct 19, 13 2:44 AM
Really disappointed - I usually love the fairy tales (the child in me!!) but this was a bit too childish for me and think it has been designed for junior age children. Shame as it showed such promise - don't even think I'll buy the SE version.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 19, 13 2:49 AM
What a disappointment; the title promises much but the game utterly fails to deliver.

For starters there was no widescreen for me; selecting the w/s option did nothing. Acceptable for an SE but not for a CE even with the half price sale. Even ERS finally realised that no w/s is a deal-breaker for many; in the past, for an exceptional CE I would have overlooked it but not any more.

And then there's the bizarre mechanics of the game; several tabs with different items, some of which are locked until you discover the area that unlocks them. The items to find on screen are so obvious a child could find them and the one puzzle I encountered was insultingly easy. The HOS were mildly inter-active and nothing special.

The graphics were ok, settings could be customised (although even with the longest choice for glints they appeared too often), there were collectibles (and I agree with Nilosh, why Easter Eggs?) and voices were done well enough.

Sorry but even with w/s I wouldn't buy this game. I lasted 15 minutes and that was enough to tell me this isn't up to CE standards. I doubt even the SE will tempt me; I'm not a huge fan of ERS games but 'Flights Of Fancy: Two Doves' was miles better than this poor offering. I don't know what's happened to this dev but they can do much better than this

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Oct 19, 13 3:12 AM
Oh boy...... so many good BFG sales and specials and nothing good to buy.
This game , after 5 minutes, got on my nerves.
Graphics are really poor. With todays technology, this one is very dated looking.
You constantly have to look for FROGS before going on, that takes away from the game flow. Story was pretty poor too.
What is happening to all the good games? Not even worth a free punch. Sorry

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Oct 19, 13 3:34 AM
addictedtofish wrote:Really disappointed - I usually love the fairy tales (the child in me!!) but this was a bit too childish for me and think it has been designed for junior age children. Shame as it showed such promise - don't even think I'll buy the SE version.
I agree with you. I found it boring!

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Oct 19, 13 5:11 AM
Based on the demo

I beta tested this game and wasn't at all impressed and that hasn't changed with the demo. Even with the custom choices, it is just too easy and provides no challenge whatsoever.

The game has okay graphics, but the story wanders (not in a good way) and one soon loses all sense of it. Rather than a sense of adventure, I got a sense of utter and complete boredom. And trying to find objects (or pieces of objects) amid all the screen renderings was frustrating instead of fun.

As always, you should try the demo and see how you like it, because everyone is different. But it wasn't my cup of tea.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 19, 13 5:21 AM
Interesting And Unusual Gameplay!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This game’s strong point is its different gameplay. The intro is not so impressive, but pleasant enough, and most aspects of the game are the same.

You are a fairy tale investigator and it is your job to get the beans back before they are used to set a very nasty giant free. Then, of course, Jack is kidnapped. Not overly childish or cartoonish, but I think that it will appeal to a younger audience as well as an adult one.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
This game is a little low key, but well drawn and it has excellent voiceovers. The drawing is with a light hand. Very detailed, not heavy on the colour saturation, but bright and airy. It is nicely done and the ‘fairy tale’ atmosphere is achieved well, without any ‘cute’ factor per se. The voices are very good. The soundtrack is fairly quiet and can be adjusted for music, voice and effects. The music is different.

MAKING PROGRESS
This is the intriguing part of the game. It is a HOG, with a few puzzles and some well-supported adventure. By which I mean, there is plenty of help if you want it. If you don’t you can use a slider to adjust the timing of hint, skip and glints. Too much help for a lot of players, I suspect.

Throughout the game there are objects of a kind you can bet you are going to need, e.g. shovel, which may be lying around, but until you have ‘collected’ the task it’s needed for, you will not be able to pick it up. I know many people find that irritating, but I didn’t find it to be too big a problem.

To proceed you must first talk to characters and find out your tasks. These are recorded in a bar under the inventory bar, each task with its own tab. Tasks will require the collection of certain objects or pieces of objects to found in that location, listed by a simple pic of each. There are usually only 3-4 items.

Some of the items will be locked until you complete a puzzle within the scene. These are indicated by a padlock over the image. Some pieces may not be found in the current location, in which case, the object will be faded. As well as this form of HOP, there are also standard interactive word lists. You can have several objectives happening at once across several locations. There is an interactive jump map and directional hint to help you to find your way.

to be cont'd

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 19, 13 5:22 AM
cont'd

CE BLING!
The usual bonus chapter comes after 7 standard chapters. The Strategy Guide is very good, giving precise instructions and clear screenshots. The gallery items are the usual, but there’s a lot more of them than most. There are also 40 Collectible Eggs (of the Faberge sort), which are well hidden. I didn’t see the other collectible item, or any achievement room , but perhaps the advertised extra scenes and challenging the giant are related to these.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I am intrigued by the different gameplay. I’ve not seen any quite like this. Other than that, and the collectible eggs being so well camouflaged, I didn’t see anything to particularly interest me in the CE.

I recommend this game!

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Oct 19, 13 5:28 AM
I'm on the same side as JustTheFacts. It's so refreshing to have different gameplay as I have been getting a bit bored with HOGs recently. This is different enough to make it much more enjoyable and different.

Yes it's a fairy tale and a bit childish but it's still fun and I'm going to take advantage of the 50% offer to get this game.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 19, 13 6:04 AM
I think that I am becoming contrary in my old age................ BUT this is well worth a demo

At first I got a little irritated, as I could not understand the gameplay but then it clicked and I am finding that it is interesting and certainly not that easy on the hardest mode.

IMHO definitely worth trying if you have enough DL limit!

bezzer
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by bezzer on Oct 19, 13 6:43 AM
What a dreadful dreadful game. I buy most games but will definitely NOT be purchasing this one. I did beta test this one and said at time it was awful.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 19, 13 7:29 AM
Wow, tough crowd.

The game lets you choose how fast your hints cycle, there are bonus eggs to find in most scenes, and the tabs are merely the developers' way for us to keep track what collection goes where while you gather them, much like the typical pop-ups that other FROGs use (that are kind of annoying in my humble opinion.)

The voice acting is good, the graphics are pretty and the plot is simple to follow. I'm not sure I'd say this is a children's game, there's a lot to keep track of but it probably would be fun to play *with* a child.

The only complaint I have about this is that I couldn't get wide screen to play but that really didn't bother me.

Lots of imaginative scenes, pleasant music and a bit of a challenge to figure out what comes next makes this a pleasant way to while away a lazy day.

ETA: I played and finished this whole game today and had a lot of fun with it. The bonus is quite a bit different than the main game, it's more typical HOG but still a lot of fun and very pretty.

Edited on 10/20/2013 at 4:16:10 AM PST

Mirinah
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by Mirinah on Oct 19, 13 7:42 AM
This looked like an attempt to imitate an ERS game. But after finishing the demo, I realized that the developer clearly dropped the ball. Poor animations, if any. Mouths don't sync even close to the dialogue. The FROG system for each item is very confusing, especially when you find yourself with multiple tabs in your inventory. I didn't really figure out the system until the end of the demo which I was happy to reach. The game was childish, tiring, and the static graphics were boring. The cut-scenes were embarrassing. A real big disappointment considering this developers previous work. Though maybe I shouldn't be too surprised since the first game in this series received very bad reviews.

Edited on 10/19/2013 at 7:47:31 AM PST

Paige63
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Paige63 on Oct 19, 13 7:54 AM
Hespera wrote:Based on the demo

I beta tested this game and wasn't at all impressed and that hasn't changed with the demo. Even with the custom choices, it is just too easy and provides no challenge whatsoever.

The game has okay graphics, but the story wanders (not in a good way) and one soon loses all sense of it. Rather than a sense of adventure, I got a sense of utter and complete boredom. And trying to find objects (or pieces of objects) amid all the screen renderings was frustrating instead of fun.

As always, you should try the demo and see how you like it, because everyone is diffe
ent. But it wasn't my cup of tea.

I also beta testedd this game and felt it was way too childish! No buy for me!

Edited on 10/19/2013 at 7:57:18 AM PST

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Oct 19, 13 8:18 AM
I guess because of the child in me I did enjoy the game. I found it frustrating at first until I understood the game mechanics. I still wasn't happy at not being able to use an inventory item (even when I had all the pieces) until it was the "right time" in the game. I'm referring to the combination lock. I had all the pieces, even cheated to see the correct code and the lights wouldn't light up. Went back after a bit of playing and then I was able to open the box.

I am disappointed that the collectible locations are not listed in the SG. At first I didn't even know what the collectible was or what it looked like until I clicked on it a few times in various scenes. I also was upset I couldn't go back to earlier locations to see if I missed any.

I may wait until there is a BOGO sale to get the CE. If it comes out as a SE before that then I will get that instead. I do love fragmented HOS and as one fishie said, it is loaded with them-YAY.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Oct 19, 13 8:34 AM
Well, Jack & The Beanstalk might not have been my most favorite of fairy tales, but it certainly isn't the worst. The same could be said for this game. We've seen much, MUCH worse hit the front page & will likely see more in the future. Still, the game is definitely worth a trial. While it may not be an A+ but it is far, FAR from "foolish" or "a dreadful dreadful game".

We gamers can't whine & gripe & complain that all we get/got is/was witches, mad scientists, abandoned asylums, etc,, scream for something different, & then complain when we get that. At least the devs are listening & trying to break out of the shell of the same-old, same-old! At least give them props for that.

The good:
* The graphics were quite nice on my monitor, filling it widescreen almost to the edge.
* The voice-overs were quite well done.
* The inventory aspect does take a little getting used to but it is different & I applaud the dev (ANY dev, really) for at least trying something new.
* The gameplay was exceptionally smooth & fairly straightforward.
* The main menu gives you customization options.
* The music was pleasant & unobtrusive.
* In-game collectibles.

With the good, must come the not-so-good:
* While the voice-overs are strong, the animation syncing is quite terrible. Normally, I couldn't care less about this but in this case, for some reason, it takes away from the game play, in my opinion.
* When, oh when, with DEVS learn that customization needs to be delivered on? The sliders gave you NO indication as to if one side was more frequent or less frequent without trial & error. Completely amateur execution.
* If I'm given the option to customize my game play, why are there still sparkles & glints in HOS & FROG scenes?!?!
* The puzzles were exceptionally simple. Almost insultingly so.
* Why are the in-game collectibles Easter eggs? Is this supposed to be a play-on-words about finding Easter eggs hidden in a game or movie? I get the idea but wouldn't BEANS have been a more logical choice? Easter eggs make no sense.

Gojii has put out great stuff before, and every dev is going to have a [mild] misstep once in a while. And this one isn't a "career-killer" by any stretch of the imagination; it's just not up to par from what we've seen in the past.

Still, I truly applaud a dev who is willing to try & do something different. So, give the game a chance; it might be up your alley, or beanstalk.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 19, 13 9:03 AM
snapnhiss wrote:Wow, tough crowd.

The game lets you choose how fast your hints cycle, there are bonus eggs to find in most scenes, and the tabs are merely the developers' way for us to keep track what collection goes where while you gather them, much like the typical pop-ups that other FROGs use (that are kind of annoying in my humble opinion.)

The voice acting is good, the graphics are pretty and the plot is simple to follow. I'm not sure I'd say this is a children's game, there's a lot to keep track of but it probably would be fun to play *with* a child.

The only complaint I have about this is that I couldn't get wide screen to play but that really didn't bother me.

Lots of imaginative scenes, pleasant music and a bit of a challenge to figure out what comes next makes this a pleasant way to while away a lazy day.

Yes. Tough crowd, LOL!

Go to: