221 Posts

Technical Issues - Spooky Bonus

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Oct 21, 13 4:49 AM
Ran the game.
Got a black screen.
Ctrl-Alt-Delete
Access Violation dialog displayed

Ran it again.
This time, I saw the first three screens, including the 'Loading' screen, but then, no mouse control. Could not click to continue.

Ran it again.
Same results as second attempt.

Running Win7x64.
Monitor at 1920x1080 resolution but resolution was decreased when I tried to run the game. Went back to normal after I ended the game's process.

Edited on 10/21/2013 at 9:04:51 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Re:Technical Issues - Spooky Bonus

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 21, 13 8:59 AM
Only 1 technical issue on my 24" iMac running Lion. Widescreen is not available -- selecting it actually shrinks the image horizontally. Without it checked, the image is full screen. Disappointing not to have widescreen with a newer game.

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Oct 21, 13 9:04 AM
G'day!

Jorie10 thank you so much for starting this thread for me, though I am sorry that you found reason to.

It is possible that the game is having some trouble with the higher resolution that the monitor is set to, especially if it is a widescreen. Lowering the resolution manually before starting the game could get the game up and running for you.

bfgMurrumbidgee

If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen
Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the Forums, or other tech savvy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team.

The Forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly.

If there is a problem with the game, our Support Team can also gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

When posting in this thread and also when contacting our Support Team, it would be helpful if you could state what system you are playing the game on (i.e. PC, MAC or Mobile), so we can provide you with the appropriate support as quickly as possible.

*Finally, please reserve this thread for tech issues only. If you are seeking game play assistance (i.e. hints and tips), the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the game's Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion.'

Zacx
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Zacx on Oct 21, 13 5:24 PM
I'm having a problem running the game. Four times when I've finished a level it has said "Unable to create a file. c:\users\Ernie\AppData\Roaming\Grey Alien Games/Spooky Bonus/profiles/Fitznik.dat." and the game has quit. I'm not sure about the direction of all of the / and \ but they weren't all the same. My name is Ernie and my player's name is Fitznik. I checked with Windows Explore and there is a

C:\Users\Ernie\AppData\Roaming\Grey Alien Games\Spooky Bonus\profiles and there is a file called Fitznik.dat under that directory. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium Version 64-bit Service Pack 2.

All of these four times were before level 15. I had another problem too with level 15 but I'll try another post to show it.

Edited on 10/21/2013 at 5:26:16 PM PST

Zacx
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Zacx on Oct 21, 13 5:27 PM
The second issue with level 15 was my mistake; please ignore my comment on that.

Zacx
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Zacx on Oct 21, 13 7:31 PM
I'm on level 16 and it just did the same thing it did four previous times, not being able to create a file.

Zacx
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Zacx on Oct 21, 13 7:40 PM
I went to level 17 and it did the same thing. How do I request a refund?

GreyAlienGames
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by GreyAlienGames on Oct 22, 13 5:49 AM
Hi Zacx. I'm sorry to hear you are having those problems. It sound like the game is having trouble saving your profile when you beat a level, perhaps due to a virus killer on the machine or a permissions issue. I'm not allowed to offer support on this forum (you are supposed to contact BFG support above) but if you don't get any joy then find my site and email me and I can my best to investigate and help.

I can't advise on how to get a refund but I'm sure BFG support can help with that, they are very good.

Edited on 10/22/2013 at 5:55:23 AM PST

GreyAlienGames
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

Widescreen checkbox

[Post New]by GreyAlienGames on Oct 22, 13 5:57 AM
Thought I'd repost the information I wrote in the other thread about the Widescreen checkbox:

I see that some of you are having trouble with Widescreen mode. This is how it's supposed to work:

- If you run the game and everything looks really stretched out sideways so that anything that should be a round circle is actually a wide ellipse, then this means you should check the Widescreen box because your screen hasn't automatically detected that the game is 1024x768 (4:3 aspect ratio i.e. not widescreen). This will cause the game to shrink horizontally so it looks correct and you'll see black bars at the side.

- If you run the game and there are black bars on the side and nothing looks stretched out (so that round objects look perfectly round e.g. the eyeball), then this IS CORRECT. It's how the game is supposed to look and your screen has automatically detected the correct mode to show it in (Macs are good at this). I didn't add in any extra graphics in the black bar area because this isn't a widescreen game (I want players with non-widescreens to be able to enjoy it too). If you click the widescreen button it will make the game shrink and look too thin in the middle, so don't click widescreen :-)

The tricky thing is that some screens detect the game resolution correctly and some do not and so I added that checkbox on the options screen to let people shrink the screen if need be; but unfortunately the game has no way of knowing what your screen has decided to do!

This game is designed in 1024x768 resolution which is a 4:3 aspect ratio (this is the same as the old mostly square screens we used to have before widescreen became common). It's not a "widescreen" game and so it is not supposed to have any graphics/detail in the black bars on the side.

I hope that clarifies things and makes sense! Perhaps I need to change the label to something instead of "widescreen" so it says "correct aspect ratio" or similar?

Zacx
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Zacx on Oct 22, 13 9:54 PM
GreyAlienGames,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am Running Vista Home Premium Edition, 64-bit. It seems like I've had problems before with User Account Control so I turned it off (I still have Norton 360 for my virus and Internet protection). That seemed to do the trick. Well, it didn't happen again until level 30. So I'm discouraged. If it only happens every 15 or so levels I guess I can live with it because I love the game.

But still...

GreyAlienGames wrote:Hi Zacx. I'm sorry to hear you are having those problems. It sound like the game is having trouble saving your profile when you beat a level, perhaps due to a virus killer on the machine or a permissions issue. I'm not allowed to offer support on this forum (you are supposed to contact BFG support above) but if you don't get any joy then find my site and email me and I can my best to investigate and help.

I can't advise on how to get a refund but I'm sure BFG support can help with that, they are very good.

[Post New]by chippy72599 on Oct 24, 13 8:05 PM
I.had problems downloading this game. My computer froze and I got an error code. I ran the Dr. Felix diagnostic and attached it to my e-mail and got a solution back quick and easy!! Fun game now -- Thanx Dr, Felix

Zacx
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Zacx on Oct 30, 13 9:57 PM
GreyAlienGames,

I got to the point where the game crashed each time I clicked on Play from the main menu. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. That didn't help. I rebooted my PC. That didn't help. I finally wondered if the .DAT (hope extension was correct) file was corrupt. I changed to a different player from the main screen. The game never crashed when I clicked on Play again. I did have a few times where the game said it couldn't write to the new .DAT file. I wondered if maybe there was a bug where, for instance, if I clicked too soon on Play from the Select a Level screen this would happen. I tried to play more slowly. I think I had the "couldn't write" message no more than about six times after this.

I did finish the game. I don't know about making a review for it because of the "couldn't write" problems but frankly I loved the game. I like games where I don't have to be timed and where I use my brain but not so hard smoke comes out my ears. Aside from the problems, I thought the game was great, with the things you can buy and the power-ups that got stronger. Thanks a lot!

GreyAlienGames wrote:Hi Zacx. I'm sorry to hear you are having those problems. It sound like the game is having trouble saving your profile when you beat a level, perhaps due to a virus killer on the machine or a permissions issue. I'm not allowed to offer support on this forum (you are supposed to contact BFG support above) but if you don't get any joy then find my site and email me and I can my best to investigate and help.

GreyAlienGames
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by GreyAlienGames on Oct 31, 13 4:07 PM
Hi zacx, thanks for the update, and once again I'm sorry you had these problems but I'm also glad that you enjoyed the game despite them. As a result of your feedback I've thought of several ways to make the saving more stable so that if the saving crashes for unknown reasons the game can carry on and try again later. So thanks!

[Post New]by eeyore168 on Nov 29, 13 2:27 PM
downloaded this game with no problems until i wanted to play it !!! ,got the message cannot create shared data folder closed the window and another one opened with Error:Access violation at 0x00560174 (tried to read from 0x00000038),program terminated .i tried uninstalling ,rebooting and installing again but no joy .......im using windows 7

Edited on 11/29/2013 at 3:31:23 PM PST

elboranch
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by elboranch on Apr 29, 14 11:56 AM
I have owned this game for quite sometime now ! All of a sudden I cant play it !?!?!?! Have played ,replayed, and replayed ! Now as soon as I start game and click play, it freezes ??????

GreyAlienGames
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by GreyAlienGames on May 26, 14 9:53 AM
elboranch wrote:I have owned this game for quite sometime now ! All of a sudden I cant play it !?!?!?! Have played ,replayed, and replayed ! Now as soon as I start game and click play, it freezes ??????

Hi elboranch, sorry to hear you are having this problem. Have you tried making a new player profile before clicking play? Does that work?

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Jul 22, 14 6:09 PM
I had a great time playing it, and it is a cute game [my house looked great!], BUT I got to about Level 67 and it quit working. When I clicked on the icon on my desk top, the screen would just be black. I could hear the music, but the game never would start. Since the game doesn't start, I can't even get in far enough to try a new profile. I uninstalled and reinstalled it 2 times. Nothing I looked to see if there was a "fix" or update, but I don't see any. If there is, could somebody message me??? .............thanx

Edited on 07/22/2014 at 6:10:56 PM PST

Go to: