Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Review for Call of the Ages

[Post New]by Nilosh on Oct 23, 13 1:39 AM
Good MOrning Fishies,

The Calander of Ages has been destroyed and historical artifacts are spread out through time. You need to collect pieces of each artifact in order to repair the calander and save the world from chaos.Graphics are sharp along with relatively good artwork although animation scenes were a bit amateurish. You go through time and with each artifact, a short historical fact starts off a game of a standard Swap Match 3 game whereby you need to drop peices of the artifact to the bottom of your board.

You have the option of playing relaxed or time mode which can be changed via your option menu at any time. You travel through each country, trying to put together a historical artifact. There is a golden amulet at the bottom right hand of your screen that when filled up will destroy several tiles for you. You also get bonus power ups as you move along.

At first the game was too easy to play but as you move along, the game begins to get more challenging. There are achivements as well and a challenge mode to play once it is unlocked.The demo trial flew by quickly as I had already retrieved two artifacts. At first there was some slight tedium in the gameplay but it did get interesting by the time I arrived to Japan. A great game for kids and for Match 3 gamers. Not as intricate or challenging as some of the more complexed games out there what with only one style of Swapping tiles. Nevertheless I found it relaxing and not overly frustrating to play. Interesting historical factoids as well.I bet like me most of you have free game credits on hand that havent been used, a decent game to spend one on if you are a M3 Fan.

Edited on 10/23/2013 at 9:08:31 AM PST

Too slow, too dull

[Post New]by jakethekid on Oct 23, 13 7:43 AM
This game is of the type of M3 that makes me yawn. While the graphics were okay, the story and game were snoozers. There is nothing worse (in my estimation) than having to wait for everything on the board to stop moving before you can make your next play. The boards lacked variety. You drop objects from the bottom of the board to collect them and that's pretty much it.

This would be a good game for kids but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who likes to play timed or likes a speedy and/or challenging game.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Review for Call of the Ages

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 23, 13 8:07 AM

Its a perfectly good remake (almost a duplicate) of 80 Days Around The World but they forgot how to fill up my wide screen in the remake process.

If you have already bought 80 Days Around The World then keep playing that game - the only addition here is a relaxed mode option that doesn't work so well farther into the game.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 23, 13 9:08 AM
Hello All, Thanks for getting the reviews thread started! I'm just going to go ahead and post the guidelines and sticky the thread.

What do you think of Call of the Ages? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Call of the Ages page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 23, 13 9:09 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Oct 23, 13 9:15 AM
Based on the Demo:
As much as I love Playrix and hold their original Fishdom Match 3 games in the highest esteem, (as well as RE, etc.), I have to say that this game is a huge disappointment.

It is an obvious remake of Around the World in 80 Days, which was a good swap Match 3 game for its time. They upgraded graphics, video and FX, but left the game play as it was, which means it has that sloggy, playing in the mud feel, with the board paralyzed while tiles move.

Playrix is a developer who knows Match 3 play and they know that Match 3 players expect to keep playing while the board is moving. They use this concept in their Fishdom games.

It truly hurts me to say this is probably the only Playrix game I won't purchase. Sorry, Playrix team, but I think you really dropped the ball on this one and didn't go as far as you should have to make a really good game.

Addendum - As I have stated previously, Fishdom 3, and all other surfacing Match 3's, the trend toward smaller boards, overlarge icons, obtuse angles and lots of cutouts, is not attractive to expert Match 3 players nor to those interested in learning Match 3 play, primarily because the boards run out of 'playable' pieces too quickly. There is no time to study the board and learn.

One of the many attractive attributes of the original Fishdoms was the large boards. It was easy to use those games to introduce newcomers to Match 3 play, as they afforded the ability for people to learn the intricacies of the various required movements: how to form corner matches; how to make matches of five, six, seven or eight tiles; how to observe and follow the flow of tiles in complicated board patterns; etc. In short, all of the things that make new players into expert players. These smaller boards, paralyzed tiles, overlarge icons, obtuse angles and abundant cutouts, rob people of the opportunity to see Match 3 at its best and to become expert players.

Edited on 10/24/2013 at 7:10:20 PM PST

wyebank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by wyebank on Oct 23, 13 4:13 PM
Just like call of Atlantis, excellent but been there done that. Must say though love the sand and the wood from England onwards but don't think I wil but, may use a credit if bored

Badgerrrt
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by Badgerrrt on Oct 23, 13 5:15 PM
Hespera wrote:Based on the Demo:
As much as I love Playrix and hold their original Fishdom Match 3 games in the highest esteem, (as well as RE, etc.), I have to say that this game is a huge disappointment.

It is an obvious remake of Around the World in 80 Days, which was a good game for its time. They upgraded graphics, video and FX, but left the game play as it was, which means it has that sloggy, playing in the mud feel, with the board paralyzed while tiles move.

Playrix is a developer who knows Match 3 play and they know that Match 3 players expect to keep playing while the board is moving. They use this concept in their Fishdom games.

It truly hurts me to say this is probably the only Playrix game I won't purchase. Sorry, Playrix team, but I think you really dropped the ball on this one and didn't go as far as you should have to make a really good game.

Hespersa< I could not agree more! It's like you took the words right out of my brain! Playrix games ARE the experts on match-3 games but this one IS a large disappointment! Poor color choices, and the 'relaxed mode' isn't a true relaxed mode, in my opinion. And I absolutely hated the levels where the sand bars would fill up the screen. I hope they are not riding on the laurels of their past successes!

Tamlin55
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by Tamlin55 on Oct 23, 13 8:08 PM
I usually love Playrix Match3 games, and I have been enjoying playing them all again on my IPhone lately, but playing them there highlights how sluggish the feel of this game is. I felt like precious seconds were ticking away while I was waiting to be able to control my cursor to make the next move. I found the sand annoying in the England levels, but I think that was mainly because I couldn't move the cursor as quickly as I would have liked. I was so excited to see a new Playrix game when I started the demo but hugely disappointed by the end of my hour. Think I'll wait on this one...

meryllon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by meryllon on Oct 24, 13 1:35 AM
The inability to play on while pieces are falling really is a disappointment, I agree with everyone else on that one. An improvement is that game pieces can be moved into empty squares if/when no new ones are able to drop down for various reasons.The player does not have "lives" to lose, so boards are replayable without penalty.

But the key here is surely that new types of challenges are introduced that earlier games like Around the World do not have. The wood, tumble-weed and sand are later joined by a sandstorm that can't be eliminated and so has to be kept at bay constantly, and by "bomb" pieces that have to be matched before they explode. Towards the end, a mix of these makes the game very challenging. I like to play without using any of the bonuses, but I didn't quite manage that!

A very few boards are either too small or not well designed (as in the very early Atlantis Quest) and end up being shuffled when moves run out, possibly more than once. For many later boards, the optimum approach isn't immediately obvious, and I did replay a couple because of a disastrous early decision. The game makes if very hard to do the smart thing in terms of unfreezing pieces when the sand is sitting in a corner somewhere! But it is quite possible to eliminate even three sand sources in due course, not least because the artefact pieces are able to stop it spreading. And matching bomb pieces at the earliest possible moment may not be the best strategy, I discovered. Timings are generous, and the hourglass provides ample extra time. There was only one board I ended up playing on the untimed setting due to the rampant chaos!

Match 3s are a great favourite of mine, and though I wouldn't put this in the top three (mainly because I prefer the type where matches create pathways across the board, like Jewels of Cleopatra or 4 Elements); I would definitely rate it above Around the World, or the more recent Imperial Island, both for variety and playability. Overall, a very decent and enjoyable eight out of ten.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Oct 24, 13 4:24 AM
I have played the demo and I think it's a nice match 3 games, (I played in "timed mode"): additional powerups sum as you go along with the the games's stages, and a different type of music is played for each country! So far not too difficult, I may say much easier than the latest "two planet", so for me it's a buy, because this type of game relaxed me between a C E (hog) and others effortly types of games!

jpabich
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

Review for Call of the Ages

[Post New]by jpabich on Oct 24, 13 8:44 AM
Hi,

I played the demo and then finally just bought it based on the reputation of Playrix. However, I'm really disappointed, as others have stated. I was playing in relaxed mode and I was truly stressed out with the sand. I got up to level 31 and now I'm just going to delete this game. And, where did this locked cell with the timer on it come from in relaxed mode? The only other thing, which I think I've seen in previous versions is that you have to wait for all the "action" on the board come to a halt before you get to move any other pieces. I think that's why the sand levels were so frustrating. I would be sitting there ready to make my next move and I couldn't because I kept waiting for the "Terrific" and "Fabulous" messages to go away -- and then the sand would cover a piece I was going to use -- ughhhh.

I wish I had seen these issues coming in the demo or I would have never purchased it.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 24, 13 3:03 PM
I found this game entertaining like I do all of this developer's games, but this one was also very frustrating and difficult. I am on level 77 and have finally thrown in the towel...it just isn't doable...I've been blown out 8 times and not matter what I try, I cannot find a solution...this is NOT fun so the game goes in the trash. I enjoy a game with a challenge, but level 77 isn't the first level that has been more frustrating than enjoyable. How sad.

I also found the freeze on playing while waiting for all the chips to drop and "fabulous" and "wonderful" to stop...the timer is running, the sand is building and I have to wait for this baloney...I want to keep playing while things are adjusting.

As with all these games, the graphics are terrific however the music is a bit annoying on some levels.

Edited on 10/24/2013 at 3:05:07 PM PST

[Post New]by Grannieann7 on Nov 15, 13 12:18 PM
This is a rehash of Around the World which I enjoyed. I don't like the delays and I especially don't like the sand filling up the board. Just not fun especially with the delays. It is very like Candy Crush which surprises me. I bought the game, but I wish I had played the demo, although the sand doesn't start until the the 3rd country so that probably wouldn't have helped. I usually love Playrix games, so I am really disappointed in this. I like a challenge, but the whole sand storm and sand filling the board is just too frustrating to be fun. Probably going to trash it.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Nov 19, 13 5:11 PM
Based on playing the demo, I think this is a lot like the "Cradle of ..." series without the hidden object scenes thrown in. It's fun to get the little tidbits of history that many of us may have forgotten from our high school days, but there is one thing that makes this a "No Purchase" for me. You cannot make matches while pieces are still moving on the board. Don't developers learn from each other's triumphs and mistakes? When Bejeweled 3 was released, one of the great strides it made in game play was that matches could be made while pieces were in motion. Why would the Baby Dragon dev use old technology for this game? It takes a game that could be really fun and exciting and reduces it to a level just barely above watching paint dry. I would give this 2 1/2 stars out of five. If that one thing had been changed, I would give it 4. 1/2

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Dec 1, 13 8:15 PM
This is a completeable game...if you're very experienced at playing M3s. Although there is the option to shut the timer off at any point of the game, there are boards with obstacles that make them "timed" in another sense (take too long or plan the strategy incorrectly and the board is automatically forfeited or gets too blocked up). Starts out baby easy, but ends up insanely hard, which I think is going to put a lot of players off as I nearly threw in the towel on my first run through the regular mode, and I've been playing M3s for a decade! Graphics were very crisp which I liked, storyline and music were OK. The music and tile sets began to repeat by the fifth country. I noticed that after the first two countries the timer becomes aggressive in timed mode, and as several others have already mentioned, you can't make moves all the time.

Once enough boards have been completed, challenge mode unlocks, which appears to be an exercise in frustration. The first two countries in challenge mode were not much of a challenge, but by the third it suddenly became ridiculously hard and winning the boards seemed to be more from luck than skill.

I'm trying to like this game, but am not sure how much longer I'll continue to play it. Would strongly encourage playing the demo first, and don't let the first dozen or so levels fool you...it gets a LOT harder than that. If you like the game concept and don't have "Around the World in 80 Days", I'd recommend that over Call of the Ages. Sorry, baby dragon developer, I have a hard time finding M3s that are challenging enough, but this one goes a little too far even for me.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 20, 14 8:02 AM
I'm always looking for good M3 games. Unfortunately, this is not one of them, even though it comes from the developer of three of my favorite HOGs.

Game play is smooth, tiles are colorful, music is appropriate.

BUT I can't move tiles while other tiles are moving. And I will not play a game that will not allow me to do that.

So this is a no-buy for me.

wyebank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by wyebank on Oct 20, 14 3:02 PM
Like everyone else I love Playrix M3s but this is just like Call of Atlantis and all the others but I find the graphics not as good. Think the sand is very clever and hard to beat. Have finished demo but won't buy even on DD as I have all the other games. Shame!

Go to: