Re:Jane Angel: Templar Mystery comments and reviews

[Post New]by mellie129 on Mar 28, 10 7:09 PM
I was SO disappointed in this game. The "English" is atrocious, along with the spelling. The objects are semi-hidden with a few exceptions. There were some nice additions, like the assemble-the-puzzle-to-find-the-hidden-objects, along with the end of chapter link-the-colors puzzles. The linking puzzles are the only things that make the game last longer. Otherwise, one could breeze through this in the hour demo. I'm so VERY sorry I purchased this game; it's just not up to BigFish Games usual standards.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Mar 29, 10 10:03 AM
mellie129 wrote:I was SO disappointed in this game. The "English" is atrocious, along with the spelling. The objects are semi-hidden with a few exceptions. There were some nice additions, like the assemble-the-puzzle-to-find-the-hidden-objects, along with the end of chapter link-the-colors puzzles. The linking puzzles are the only things that make the game last longer. Otherwise, one could breeze through this in the hour demo. I'm so VERY sorry I purchased this game; it's just not up to BigFish Games usual standards.

Hi, mellie129.
I'm so sorry to make you disappointed. By my opinion one hour demo is enough to decide yes/no about purchasing particular game. Moreover I just can't see any constructive criticism in your post. Being developer (of this game) I'd be happy to read informative comment (even negative one).
Best regards and have nice day, Eugene.

paula3522
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by paula3522 on Apr 27, 10 10:21 AM
I loved the game !! There are so many different aspects of it !! So much different than your average hog !! I did the trial and had 29 minutes left and I am only on chapter 2. The one thing I did not like was how it advanced to the next level the scrolling made me a little dizzy but I am buying it anyway! When some of the items "fade" you need to scroll over and then they light up showing you that you are closer to the item on the list.

yabbi
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by yabbi on May 4, 10 9:41 AM
I LOVED this game for its beautiful images and art, elegant programming and interesting story line. The English is awful, and in some cases might prevent the player from 'getting it'. It is a real distraction and makes this beautiful work sadly laughable. One of the game's authors wrote here that the text is monitored by an English speaker. Well Eugene, you must get a NEW English speaker, because that person can only speak English, but can't write it properly. That component is very distracting, especially in the dialog and journal entries. Also, conversation captions disappear too fast for me, and I'm a very fast reader; you can't go back and re-read them.

On the whole, tho, it is very creative, enjoyable, well researched, lovely to look at, and lots of fun. Thanks for a great game!

Edited on 05/04/2010 at 9:44:53 AM PST

Ridnhi
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Ridnhi on May 7, 10 7:52 PM
I love this game. As an 80 year old, well traveled person I can feel some of the scenes as being good at getting "the feel" of what is going on in the story line. As for the hidden objects, its refreshing to have such a different way of looking at things. For two men for whom this is their first game, its exceptional!! Some folks seem to always want things in a certain manner. Others enjoy new ways of looking at things, of doing things and even imagining things. I say three cheers for Eugene and his assistant. May this be the beginning of a great series of games you come out with and and find acceptance and reward. I will be first in line to buy your informative, lovely, imaginative, and fun game!!!!

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jun 20, 10 12:50 AM
Soooooo boring. don't even bother with the try out.

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Jul 8, 10 12:11 AM
You absolutely have to do the trial for this game - but I don't recommend buying it.

This was wonderful to supply many laughs for the day. The storyline could have been interesting - but was hysterical as it jumped around, repeated itself, was pretty much incomprehensible, and showed a bias about the subject matter that isn't usually found. Also, I was constantly surprised by the characters that showed up without warning - and with no apparent role. They were just filler.

The graphics were fabulous - congrats to the development team. However, some of the items were so well hidden they were invisible. Jumping from scene to scene was an adventure. If you thought you were going to a **** scene - wrong. It was a 'find the difference' or put the pieces together of an incredibly easy puzzle.

There were several things I hadn't seen before. **** items were bolded when you were in the right part of the scene (a nice touch to help find the objects). In one scene, you had to move between overlaid pictures - again something I'd not seen before.

Overall, an E for effort, but definitely NOT a buy.

peszeki
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by peszeki on Nov 20, 10 9:23 PM
I was on the fence about this game - the trial caught my attention well enough, but I was not sure if I wanted to actually buy it --- I have about 20 BF games to try. So I checked the reviews. And I was sold. A game that good made by the two developers? The developers who actually take time to read the players opinions and respond to them? You bet I will put my 6.99 into their piggy bank!
As soon as I post this message, I am buying it.

Eugene - keep up the good work.

And to those of you complaining of spelling errors, I challenge you to include in your comments a perfectly grammatical and perfectly spelled sentence in Russian. Welcome to global economy, people!

Edited on 11/20/2010 at 9:25:58 PM PST

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Jan 12, 11 12:40 PM
I grew up in an area and family where several people were from Europe, and I suppose that is why language - colloquialism, innuendo, nuance, and grammatical articles, syntax, etc - are less of an obstacle for me as they are it seems for many others. English can be a very difficult language to learn, especially local dialects, and we abound with those here in America.

I missed this game when it came out, and never stumbled across it in the lists of titles, either, until yesterday, when in a thread for Hexus, I came across mention of it and learned that it was by the same developers. I was already wading through some initially negative comments for Hexus on that thread - these eventually began to give way to much warmer appreciation of that game, and this one, too, and I decided to look this one over, as well as Hexus.

I love the fact that this game has a timed and a relaxed mode - thank you, Eugene. That matters so very much, in all types of games. I also deeply appreciate that you give us time to read through introductions and historical background necessary to your setting and theme, instead of whizzing it by us as so many other games do. I like having an option to advance at my own speed.

Of course, having read first the other thread for the other game, and then parts of this one for this game, I already knew it was a game I was probably going to like, but I have to say, I think the way the setting and mood are created right in the beginning are superb.

I think the choice of music, the opening presentation, the historical fact, the depth of the theme, the rendering of it, all are well done. It was a happy day for me discovering this along with Hexus, and I bought them both.

Eugene, if you should see this, thank you for the effort and quality you have put into these games, the accuracy, and educational value, the intelligence, and the innovations you're developing, too.

[Post New]by wolffiveclaw on Feb 19, 11 1:30 AM
Why don't you just get an english speaker (preferably one who knows english english and american english) and ask them to say what things are called. If you use a translator it's going to come out wrong in places... try translating it one way and then back and see what you get... often it's complete rubbish.

I'm sure you could get beta testers to translate thing for you, I know I would do it.

I won't be buying because of this... it really annoys me and gives the impression you are just out to make money and don't actually care about the gamers and what they want.

PerfectSecty
Stingray
Stingray
4,983 Posts

[Post New]by PerfectSecty on Feb 19, 11 11:56 AM
I've only played half of the demo so far but, that was enough to let me know that I really like it.
I don't know how I missed this when it first came out, but it's been a nice little surprise as a daily deal.

I think the developers did a lot of things well in designing this game. The graphics are good, the music is good, ( who could object to the "Moonlight Sonata"?) and you get a little history lesson.

I'm loving the innovative little ways they have of finding the hidden objects and the puzzles have been a lot of fun as well. I detest spot the differences, but they even managed to make that fun. After working at it for a while, I skipped the puzzle where you have to make chains of balls, but only because it turned out to be more challenging than I thought it would be and I didn't want to take up all my demo time with it. Having just bought the game, I will be starting over and completing that puzzle--- and I'm looking forward to it.

They must have fixed most of the spelling and grammar mistakes, as I wasn't put off by them. The few that I saw, I found to be sort of charming and I was smiling as I scratched my head. They didn't prevent me from finding anything. I haven't needed to use a hint yet, so I can't comment on that. You can choose timed or relaxed mode. I chose relaxed so I could take my time and enjoy it without any pressure.

Well done, developers. Thank you for this fun and interesting little gem. What a bargain at 2.99.

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by dippydebby on Feb 19, 11 6:39 PM
EcclesCakes wrote:Well, I'm apparently in a minority here....quite on the positive side for this game thus far. The lack of full screen doesn't concern me. The graphics are clear and interesting. Lack of precise grammar, spelling, item identification is only a minor concern. The story is very interesting - always love those Knight Templar stories - the locations are varied, and the mini-games are fun and not too challenging. The hint system is very generous and clear, as are tutorials. Given this is apparently a two man development effort, I think we should be more encouraging than discouraging. Not every game can live up to Princess Isabella (my current favorite). I'm about a half-hour into the demo, will at least complete the hour and will check an upcoming walkthrough to appraise length (don't like 2 hour games, no matter how good), before making a "buy" decision.

Hey, folks, at least give it a full one hour chance!

Eccles Cakes

diggermonty
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by diggermonty on Feb 20, 11 6:11 AM
Not my cuppa tea thank you.
I found the game basically boring. Not an iota of mystery or excitement. It is a game for the real HOS lover. The puzzles/mini games are non-challenging. The various locales are not exploited enough to stir any interest.
I quit while I was in Scotland and started Murder Island: Secret Of Tantalus. Now here's a GAME! MYSTERY! INTRIGUE! . . . . and a story line.

annabelle05
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by annabelle05 on Feb 20, 11 9:16 AM
Well, I just have to say that I just finished the game and I loved every bit of it! I loved the graphics, the music, especially the story line and the little puzzles. Not too crazy about the puzzle with the lights though. The grammar was not bad at all. I certainly didn't have a problem knowing what item was meant to be found. So, all in all a really nice treat. Hope there will be more Jane Angel's in the future.

Libtard55
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Libtard55 on Feb 20, 11 12:39 PM
I purchased this game with no knowledge of it whatsoever. Just the video. But for just $2.99, where can you go wrong? Great game, But it is hard on the eyes after a while. I'm on the 5th chapter, by the way.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Mar 23, 11 4:23 PM
I absolutely loved, Loved, LOVED this game!! My only criticism is that it wasn't long enough!! I loved how you scroll side to side to find the hidden objects, and how the game scroll down to go to the next venue and chapter. I can't wait for the next game by this developer!! Wish the load time was smoother, but can easily overlook that with all the great game play. Glad there were two modes of play, easy and timed, I'm under the gun at work all day and when I come home I like to unwind with a good game that doesn't pressure me and give me time deadlines. I'll definately play this one again!!

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Jul 26, 11 10:33 AM
great story...good H.O. games with sliding screen...great graphics...no objects hidden in "blacked-out" areas...really a decent game.

[Post New]by karinel on Dec 31, 11 10:25 PM
Love this game. I like the scrolling screen and the spot the differences. The minigames are fun. Story line and graphics are great. This is one of a dozen games I keep on my computer and go back to, along with Serpent of Isis, the first two Ravenhearsts, Madame Fate,

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Feb 11, 13 6:55 AM
Different game play.

More of a puzzle / HOG.

Worth a DD, or good sale.

Angel

Go to: