bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Nevertales: The Beauty Within Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 24, 13 12:29 AM
Just when you were finally done with work for the day, a stranger comes knocking loudly at your door. When you answer there's no one... no one except a helpless baby abandoned on your doorstep. You follow after the stranger, hoping to find some answers but are drawn into a mystery that beckons you into a castle-like mansion. Who does the baby belong to? Why were you chosen? The answers will surprise you in Nevertales: The Beauty Within, a page-turning Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game!

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won't find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector's Edition includes:
Three bonus chapters
Multiple collectables and achievements
Sugar Rush Hidden Object Puzzle
Integrated Strategy Guide

Edited on 10/24/2013 at 9:00:15 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Nevertales: The Beauty Within Collector's Edition

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Oct 24, 13 1:37 AM
Hi there,
I'm not sure about the beauty within, but Mad Head Games have given us another beauty with this great game. Inventive puzzles and "find" tasks, roses to collect, a clockwork helper (that I haven't had to dress up or feed), a very well-behaved baby to save, arguments to solve to open doors and a touch of humour to go!! Not too many tedious puzzles, those I have encountered so far have actually been a bit of fun.
I highly recommend that you at least sample the game. If you haven't played them already, the other two games (especially Rite of Passage) involved in the Sale are very worthy.
Cheers.

Edited on 10/24/2013 at 1:52:51 AM PST

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Oct 24, 13 2:25 AM
Hi DragonLadyOz, I like your spot-on review. Nice and simple and to the point. I usually get lost in those long winded ones.

I demoed the game a short while ago and it's all what you said it is. On my way to get my punch card filled up.

Perhaps we'll find the beauty within at a later state!

Happy Gaming

Melymc
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Melymc on Oct 24, 13 2:33 AM
I agree with DragonLadyOz this game is a beauty. I quite like it. I'm actually downloading it right now. The game has some unusual twists to it. Basically, someone leaves a baby on your doorstep, and you follow them. There is a guy that at first tells you not to follow him, but then is relieved when you do. Kind of the same bad guy story except you are actually carrying a baby around.

You have four modes of play the last is custom, which is very specific. You are able to remove the sparkles which I know a lot of people will love. You can also remove things from the map, if you don't want help there.
There are : 7 chapters
1 bonus chapter
3 small hidden chapters IF you find all the hidden roses
Hidden roses
Morphing objects
So far I have encountered some mini-games I haven't seen before. They haven't been the most challenging, but they have been interesting. You can lock the inventory. Everything, your tasks, map, etc. is in a phone for you to look at during the game, which is quite nice. The HO scenes seem to also have a different twist to them. So far you seem to be clearing the scenes a couple at a time, instead of carrying around items for half the game until you play them. The game is fun! But, it may not be for everyone, so please try it out. Happy gaming all!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 24, 13 6:06 AM
I was not impressed with this game at all. It seems old and the puzzles are insane and picky. I am used to games that are made now, not one that looks like it was made in the 80s. Sorry BF but this is a no buy for me.

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Oct 24, 13 7:10 AM
Wow! What a well done game this morning. Thanks Devs for all your hard work on this one. I seem to have outgrown games that rely heavily on HOS to get what you need to move along in the game and would rather play the RPG's that give you more control over how the game flows and that each time you replay them it can be different. But, because of the great reviews from you guys I decided to at least give it a try. I am so glad I did as even the HOs were so interactive I did not mind them and it is nice to see some puzzles that we have not had before. All in all I give this game a 10.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 24, 13 7:35 AM
Awesome, unique, fun game, so different from the other games we have been getting. Love the puzzles, love the mini games and even the hos are very cleverly done. I'm having so much fun I don't want to stop playing so it's an instant buy for me.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Oct 24, 13 3:58 PM
I just played the beta on this one and have been waiting impatiently for it to arrive. One of the best games I'm tried this year (so far but MCF is looking good!), I loved the look of this one, the game play, the story....everything really. Mini-games/puzzles were very well done and a little different (never had one argue with me before) and I had to stop and think a few times as well, always a good sign. I like the way this developer has "tweaked" the basic HOPA just enough to make it different but not enough for me to say "Huh?" And I'm someone who loves having morphs and collectibles in a game, the fact that the collectibles actually give me some extra gameplay is wonderful and I hope other developers start doing this as well. I am eagerly looking forward to playing this one some more and, like Nutcracker last year, I plan to take my time and enjoy the entire experience!

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Oct 28, 13 6:27 AM
So far I have loved everything Mad Head has done, even when I have had pull out my magnifying glass to see what is going on.

They put such wonderful touches into the scenes and take such loving care, and try hard to find twists to the puzzles.

I hope they always stay so marvelous.

I keep thinking they are the same people who did the wonderful Drawn series (and hoping for more of those) but the only list the two Rite of Passage games.

I play enough games that I like to have variety to them, some with monsters, some with humor, some with fairy tale, some easy as pie....so I get a vacation from thinking.....but I really, really am grateful that games have gotten away from the HOGs where they threw a pile of junk at the screen and expected it to be enough.

Hurray for the developers who hire and pay good artists....
and those who allow some sense of humor to filter through to their games.

Those, I will be happy to keep buying as long as I have money to spend.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Oct 28, 13 3:13 PM
This has to be the best CE game in a long time for real bells and whistles! Not only do we get a main game of very decent length, with good graphics, good voices, and a great story (even if it has 'borrowed a bit' from a few movies and other stories, lol), but we also get a really good (story and length) bonus chapter, morphing items, roses to collect in each scene (not always easy to find), collectibles as a separate game, plus a chance at the end of it all to find any missing roses (needed to play one of the Extras games). Have I missed anything?

And we even had singing! I was already enjoying the background music, then the songs (at two different times) came on - lovely!

About the only thing I am picky/curious about, is how did Belle have the time to become a lawyer in our little ol' world?

Ah well, it all adds to the fun

Jen

Go to: